Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

Had my phone flipping between LTE, 3G and no signal at Mt Acadia Park in Clairemont.

Looks like they are finally filling in the gaps in Clairemont.  

Wow.  Looks like the city may keep Sprint after all.  What does this mean: "Sprint has agreed to maintain the $100,000 sponsorship level" ?

http://docs.sandiego.gov/councilcomm_agendas_attach/2014/bge_140129_6ppt.pdf

Data Performance Metrics shows much improvements. That is a good sign the network can only get better.

Glad to hear that San Diego is giving Sprint a chance and that their deadline should force Sprint to do more sooner for that County (Yay for me).

Kinda weird that they would ask for monthly status reports. That would suck if Sprint would have to develop status reports for all counties across the US. I hope they can just use their standard report and apply it to San Diego.

Lots of EV-DO Rev A all around North County early this morning, especially Oceanside and Encinitas where I live and work. Certain spots on Leucadia Blvd/El Camino Real was only 1x.

Lots of EV-DO Rev A all around North County early this morning, especially Oceanside and Encinitas where I live and work. Certain spots on Leucadia Blvd/El Camino Real was only 1x.

Sounds like something big is launching soon in your area.  

Had a talk today with an owner of a site next to the Q.  NV is in progress on this site, was told Alcatel recently submitted a revision on their original plans from consolidating 3 antennas per sector to 1 antenna setup per sector.  The revision was to keep 3 antennas per sector instead of 1 antenna setup.  They are proposing on building new structure because of new antennas.

This only means FDD and TDD antennas are to be installed.  The owner and Alcatel had the meeting regarding this subject today.  This is great news for San Diego.  This is a possible confirmation of TDD buildout.

Once I see the plans myself, will confirm TDD for this years roadmap in San Diego.

• Like 1

Had a talk today with an owner of a site next to the Q.  NV is in progress on this site, was told Alcatel recently submitted a revision on their original plans from consolidating 3 antennas per sector to 1 antenna setup per sector.  The revision was to keep 3 antennas per sector instead of 1 antenna setup.  They are proposing on building new structure because of new antennas.

This only means FDD and TDD antennas are to be installed.  The owner and Alcatel had the meeting regarding this subject today.  This is great news for San Diego.  This is a possible confirmation of TDD buildout.

Once I see the plans myself, will confirm TDD for this years roadmap in San Diego.

3 antenna per sector sounds like a TDD install plus a high capacity PCS site!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a talk today with an owner of a site next to the Q. 

Is this site in the group of office buildings between the stadium and the Costco/Ikea shopping center? My company has a office there and I find myself in the area at least 2-3 times a month for meetings. LTE can be hit and miss so it would be awesome to finally get a decent signal while I'm there.

This site is on Camino Del Rio South. One sector is going that direction. They have had fiber from AT&T at this location since last year. Once I see the plans and hope I see the ALU TDD antennas to confirm Spark.

Is Spark gonna get screwed over in San Diego due to the IBEZ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

No. You won't get 800 service right now but you'll get  800 service in 2015-2016 after rebanding on both sides of the border is complete. 

The nation wide TDD-LTE Band 41 using 8T8R equipment has began as of a month ago with permit applications all over the USA. I expect Band 41 TDD-LTE (i.e. the "spark) to be begin deployment around mid to late spring and in full swing by summer time. 

Looks like SDPD is now with Verizon.

http://docs.sandiego.gov/councilcomm_agendas_attach/2014/bge_140319_4ppt.pdf

Heard that Cox still uses Sprint for voice, they recently migrated all their modems to Verizon.  Sprint losing lots of business lately.

Seems like upgrades has slowed down a lot in San Diego.

The easy to convert sites have already been converted in the past year. Now it's the long slog to get each site up one by one.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I agree.  The Coastal Commission is involved in all beach area sites along with the usual players.  Building owners, City of SD, Mission Bay Park (City II), AT&T fiber etc, etc, etc.....  Still waiting for Bahia Hotel & The Catamaran Hotel to be started as well as the Hyatt to be accepted.  I have, once only, received a kick ass LTE signal from the Hyatt but it went away almost right away.  That site is nearing 8 months since they started trenching for fiber.

According to Sensorly, once the Bahia and Hyatt are turned on along with North Ocean Beach, Sprint should have by far the best coverage in Mission Beach and offshore.  It's an area that has had poor coverage from all carriers but has a bunch of locals and way more tourists.  Gotta be a good thing for Sprint. 

The easy to convert sites have already been converted in the past year. Now it's the long slog to get each site up one by one.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I worked as a Contractor and Developer in California for many years. Just seeing someone type out the CCC (California Coastal Commission) just ruined my day. :lol:

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Seems like it's been very slow progress in PB (and La Jolla too), at least according to the maps on Sensorly.  Why would PB be so difficult / low on the list for conversion vs. any other part of SD County?

Edited by 3dog

Seems like it's been very slow progress in PB (and La Jolla too), at least according to the maps on Sensorly.  Why would PB be so difficult / low on the list for conversion vs. any other part of SD County?

It's going.  Couple permits pulled for those area.  San Diego should be completed by May per documents from City of San Diego.

Download speeds has slowed down tremendously in many places of North County since middle January. Areas that had consistent download speed averages of 20-25+ Mbps in last 5 1/2 months or so in 2013, is now averaging anywhere between 5-13 Mbps. When I reported 20+ Mbps speeds from work over in Encinitas during that time, the average now varies from 6-12 Mbps connected to the same towers in the area.

Download speeds has slowed down tremendously in many places of North County since middle January. Areas that had consistent download speed averages of 20-25+ Mbps in last 5 1/2 months or so in 2013, is now averaging anywhere between 5-13 Mbps. When I reported 20+ Mbps speeds from work over in Encinitas during that time, the average now varies from 6-12 Mbps connected to the same towers in the area.

Down to stated speeds is to be expected. Especially in a place with only one band deployed.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Down to stated speeds is to be expected. Especially in a place with only one band deployed.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Will speeds eventually go up again with one band, or this is pretty much it? Speaking of speeds, I walked 2 blocks down from where I work during lunch today. Did a speed test, and got 25.09 down/5.39 up. I walked another 2 blocks from that, did another speed test, and got 11.03 down/6.93 up. What's causing the differences?

Will speeds eventually go up again with one band, or this is pretty much it? Speaking of speeds, I walked 2 blocks down from where I work during lunch today. Did a speed test, and got 25.09 down/5.39 up. I walked another 2 blocks from that, did another speed test, and got 11.03 down/6.93 up. What's causing the differences?

Speeds won't go up with one band.

Possibly signal strength.