Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

Any updates on when Greenville, NC could possibly get LTE. They have 3G upgrades on a couple of their towers and the legacy towers are rather fast (over 1Mbps with 120ms ping).

No updates. Just waiting on backhaul. The first one could be any day, or over a month the away. Just don't know. They did test LTE at least once in the area because of a blip on Sensorly.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

just fyi about that neighborhood... it's right behind me. I went over there today and found it's fiber to the hone at every house :(

Which magical neighborhood is this?

I'm thinking I made a poor move

www.wakeforestfiber.com is a new site I am working on to petition the city to join the gig.u consortium in Raleigh.

I really hope it go's some where and time warner cable doesn't screw it all up. I will sign the petition when you make it. Also as a side note, did you code the site from scratch your self? If so I think it look's good so far.

I really hope it go's some where and time warner cable doesn't screw it all up. I will sign the petition when you make it. Also as a side note, did you code the site from scratch your self? If so I think it look's good so far.

The site is less than a week old. It will go somewhere. Things like advertising in local papers, yard signs, etc.. are planned. I just need time to sit down and finish the design, its very rough right now. I used a template to get started on the site. More to come.

• Like 2

the petition is now live. content is coming soon. www.wakeforestfiber.com

• Like 3

the petition is now live. content is coming soon. www.wakeforestfiber.com

Cool so who is the petition going to and are they doing 1gb FTTH or just FTTH in that hood. I can and have walked to were that hood is being built. I will have to check it out now that I am back in the area.

FTTP/FTTH for now. As centurylink see's more growth and competition from other vendors, they will increase their offerings.

See:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/CenturyLink-Says-Theyll-Offer-1-Gbps-124085

The petition is going to be delivered directly to the town of wake forest via the mayor.

• Like 1

I'd be happy if CenturyLink offered anything besides dial-up in some parts of Franklin County. I've been after them and Time Warner since I moved here 5 years ago. There was a petition to Embarq just as we were moving with over 120 homes along a 3 mile stretch of road that went nowhere. They brought fiber to the end of that road just a few months ago, but it only serves the homes along highway 56, and not north of there. I've talked to Time Warner's construction department and they won't do anything unless there is a density of at least 90 homes per mile. Got in touch recently with the State's broadband mapping department and they are going to contact both companies to see if they can get some movement or more information out of them, but who knows if that will help.

Until then, you've got hundreds of homes only 5 miles or so outside of downtown, with only dial-up or 3G on Verizon, AT&T or Sprint. My Sprint 3G speeds are terrible (hopefully not much longer) and my neighbors that have Verizon are experiencing the same thing because so many rural users with no other options are using it.

Maybe Verizon's HomeFusion will help some if/when they deploy LTE out our way. Sprint's LTE would be a welcome addition as well. But, the cost and data caps on wireless services (as well as the arguments against using mobile networks for home broadband, which I get...but when there are no other options what do you do?) are a real problem in rural areas and don't allow the same access to the internet as most of the rest of the country has.

I'd be happy if CenturyLink offered anything besides dial-up in some parts of Franklin County. I've been after them and Time Warner since I moved here 5 years ago. There was a petition to Embarq just as we were moving with over 120 homes along a 3 mile stretch of road that went nowhere. They brought fiber to the end of that road just a few months ago, but it only serves the homes along highway 56, and not north of there. I've talked to Time Warner's construction department and they won't do anything unless there is a density of at least 90 homes per mile. Got in touch recently with the State's broadband mapping department and they are going to contact both companies to see if they can get some movement or more information out of them, but who knows if that will help.

Until then, you've got hundreds of homes only 5 miles or so outside of downtown, with only dial-up or 3G on Verizon, AT&T or Sprint. My Sprint 3G speeds are terrible (hopefully not much longer) and my neighbors that have Verizon are experiencing the same thing because so many rural users with no other options are using it.

Maybe Verizon's HomeFusion will help some if/when they deploy LTE out our way. Sprint's LTE would be a welcome addition as well. But, the cost and data caps on wireless services (as well as the arguments against using mobile networks for home broadband, which I get...but when there are no other options what do you do?) are a real problem in rural areas and don't allow the same access to the internet as most of the rest of the country has.

the biggest weapon you have in your arsenal is voters. you get enough people to petition a city council, and they will be forced to investigate options with in their power. you also have the power of the vote to elect the least corrupt leaders. in north carolina... bev purdue was in cahoots with time warner cable and centurylink and helped put a ban on municipal owned cable and internet networks... wilson, nc with their greenlight service was the catalyst that caused this.

• Like 2

the biggest weapon you have in your arsenal is voters. you get enough people to petition a city council, and they will be forced to investigate options with in their power. you also have the power of the vote to elect the least corrupt leaders. in north carolina... bev purdue was in cahoots with time warner cable and centurylink and helped put a ban on municipal owned cable and internet networks... wilson, nc with their greenlight service was the catalyst that caused this.

I signed. :) I also hope time warner cable does not "Enjoy better" via killing 1gbs and jacking there rates even more due to the "loss's" from having to ensure they didn't have to build out a better network via some very unhanded back door deal's.

If Time Warner loses the RFQ for gig internet in the triangle, they will be forced to compete with the winning bidder(s). So regardless as they have already announced the interest in delivering the service and are capable of it, TWC will be pushing 1gbps to the home in our region. It's a win/win either way. The thing with TWC winning is that in most areas they can push 1gbps using the existing plant and leveraging docsis 3.1 within a year. New subdivisions would be deployed w/ fiber. If a new company came in, they would have to prepare data centers, C.O's, and where they may be able to use county/city/state dark fiber optics, they would still have to bring the fiber all the way to the home (last mile) which isn't in place... bringing a longer timeline with it.

My personal opinion, is that before this is over, you will see AT&T and Centurylink pushing their 1gbps here too. Mark my words. #callingit... Raleigh/Durham will become a massive hotbed for next gen internet deployment, bigger than chattanooga, austin, kansas city...

• Like 2

I thought ATT ceased their expansion of fiber/uverse? Same with Verizon FiOS. Competition will be great but they're still going to charge a ridiculous amount for anything over 50mbps. For whatever reason NC seems to always be behind the curve.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

I thought ATT ceased their expansion of fiber/uverse? Same with Verizon FiOS. Competition will be great but they're still going to charge a ridiculous amount for anything over 50mbps. For whatever reason NC seems to always be behind the curve.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

expansion, and upgrading are 2 totally seperate things. I dont see uverse expansion, but I see them upgrading in high competition areas. See the Austin debacle for more info:

www.siliconhillsnews.com/2013/04/09/att-also-announces-a-1-gig-broadband-network-for-austin/

so in uverse areas you'll see 'upgrades'... in centurylink prism areas you will see upgrades and expansion. CL are also launching gig services... their test market is in ohmaha, ne right now.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/blog/boosters_bits/2013/05/not-so-fast-google-centurylink.html?page=all

btw, centurylink are only charging $80 when bundled w/ other services.

Edited by danielholt

If Time Warner loses the RFQ for gig internet in the triangle, they will be forced to compete with the winning bidder(s). So regardless as they have already announced the interest in delivering the service and are capable of it, TWC will be pushing 1gbps to the home in our region. It's a win/win either way. The thing with TWC winning is that in most areas they can push 1gbps using the existing plant and leveraging docsis 3.1 within a year. New subdivisions would be deployed w/ fiber. If a new company came in, they would have to prepare data centers, C.O's, and where they may be able to use county/city/state dark fiber optics, they would still have to bring the fiber all the way to the home (last mile) which isn't in place... bringing a longer timeline with it.

My personal opinion, is that before this is over, you will see AT&T and Centurylink pushing their 1gbps here too. Mark my words. #callingit... Raleigh/Durham will become a massive hotbed for next gen internet deployment, bigger than chattanooga, austin, kansas city...

I read on avg TWC only has 300-350mbs of bandwith to the node. How are they going to give a home user 1Gbs with only less than 500mbs to the node serving the area?

I guess they would upgrade the fiber backhual before turning 1gbs on along with docsis 3.1.