Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

I personally had a 24 hr centurylink (prism) outage over the weekend, it involved 5 physical techs... 12hrs from 8am to 8pm.   I got downgraded from VDSL2 to ADSL2+ bonded. Not a happy camper, but at least it's working now.

Augh. Centurylink seems to be trying harder. I know that they had issues with using cheap dslams and then overloading them. I think the techs were finally able to talk some sense into the suits. Last I looked Centurylinks financials were not great and they have been slow in rolling out Prism services because of a shortage of cash flow. If that continues they may be a prime acquisition target. I just don't know if there is a suitable buyer out there.

Augh. Centurylink seems to be trying harder. I know that they had issues with using cheap dslams and then overloading them. I think the techs were finally able to talk some sense into the suits. Last I looked Centurylinks financials were not great and they have been slow in rolling out Prism services because of a shortage of cash flow. If that continues they may be a prime acquisition target. I just don't know if there is a suitable buyer out there.

I personally think AT&T would be a great suitor, as Prism is the exact duplicate of U-Verse. I just do not think AT&T wants to invest anymore in copper. Seems to be leaning towards wireless and fiber to the rich homes

I personally think AT&T would be a great suitor, as Prism is the exact duplicate of U-Verse. I just do not think AT&T wants to invest anymore in copper. Seems to be leaning towards wireless and fiber to the rich homes

I dont know if the FCC would even ok that merger. Centurylink is significantly larger than Embarq was. 

nah... TW telecom wants centurylink for their transport.... then residential will get split up and sold off to who ever

And thats where it becomes complicated. Wireline is a dying business. How long would TW be saddled with the wireline business before somebody buys it up?

Post this elsewhere but it was the wrong spot...

I have a question regarding the following tower. I have a friend that lives less than a mile from this tower and has had no service for the last 3 weeks. No phone calls, texts or data. Sprint keeps giving her a run around saying oh it will be ready in a few hours but nothing ever happens. I see that the site has been accepted for 3G NV but I was curious if someone could shed some light on the issues with this tower. What would be causing all of these problems?

Thanks in advance to any info you might be able to provide.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Don't post site ID's in the regular thread. That is considered information from the sponsor section.

• Like 1

The tower at Rosemary St and Hillsborough St (near NCSU) is really making progress. It's been fun to watch the progress this tower has made over the past 8+ months. Now, all the legacy cabinets are gone. The overhead conduit guides (that cradled the cabling from the cabinet to the tower base) are all that remain of the (presumably) IDEN and/or WiMax cabinets. There is a dumpster-in-a-bag tarp bag (small enough that an F150 could straddle it between the wheels probably) that contains the refuse that can't be recycled.

When Sprint said "Recycling a nationwide wireless network is something we are committed to," they meant it. Legacy cabinets, cabling, antennas, etc., were all recycled. The refuse could be hauled away in a full-size bed consumer pickup truck. Amazing.

On a 3G BlackBerry, so I can't confirm that 4G LTE is being broadcast, but I would assume so. I'd also assume that 800 1x/ LTE is on it's way soon.

It's been fun watching a site go from pre-NV preparation to full NV deployment. It's amazing how long it takes, too. It really drives home just how huge of an undertaking this is by Sprint. Humbling really, to be honest.

I've also noticed that several sites around the area have empty RRU mounting points, presumably due to removed IDEN equipment. A few sites are completely bare, probably were only IDEN from the beginning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on sprint getting LTE working in wake forest?

I am about to do a 3 line T-Mobile plan next week to cut my AT&T line that I have had for years. Though I am not planning to get a new phone right away, so I may end up just going to sprint a bit later when LTE is solid. 

I have a worksite on Six Forks road  that would receive LTE outside of the building and a relatively weak 3G signal inside the building. As of yesterday the in building reception improved to the point of receiving a usable 4G signal!(2mbps download). I need to check if any towers in the area are newly upgraded.

• Like 1

I read an article concerning tower heights in Johnston County. The county has an ordinance limiting tower height to 120 feet. They are looking at raising the limit in order to improve cell service in the county. Any thoughts?

http://www.claytonnewsstar.com/2013/07/26/3060029/johnston-planning-board-reconsiders.html

• Like 1

I have a worksite on Six Forks road  that would receive LTE outside of the building and a relatively weak 3G signal inside the building. As of yesterday the in building reception improved to the point of receiving a usable 4G signal!(2mbps download). I need to check if any towers in the area are newly upgraded.

There were two LTE sites turned on near Six Forks in the last update.  One near Northclift and the other one a little south of there (don't remember exactly where off the top of my head).  So if it was in that vicinity that makes sense.

• Like 1

The one site in Greenville that I want to get upgraded, isn't upgraded yet. AlcaLu is blasting through Greenville turning on 3G and the 4G soon after, but the site that is near my grandmother's home is on ECU. Likely they can't get access to the tower. AARGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I wish they'd go ahead and turn on 3G on more of the towers that have 4G around here.   There was a big cluster of 40 turned on in Charlotte the other day, would be nice to flip the switch on a bunch in the Raleigh market too.

There were two LTE sites turned on near Six Forks in the last update.  One near Northclift and the other one a little south of there (don't remember exactly where off the top of my head).  So if it was in that vicinity that makes sense.

Yup. I think I found it, just south of me.

• Like 1

I read an article concerning tower heights in Johnston County. The county has an ordinance limiting tower height to 120 feet. They are looking at raising the limit in order to improve cell service in the county. Any thoughts?

http://www.claytonnewsstar.com/2013/07/26/3060029/johnston-planning-board-reconsiders.html

Tiny towers in Johnston Co.... F-15's from seymour and gunships from around the area love to fly low and fast.

Tiny towers in Johnston Co.... F-15's from seymour and gunships from around the area love to fly low and fast.

There are towers around 200ft or higher here in Goldsboro where Seymour is so I doubt thats what Johnston Co has a hieght limit. Sounds like they are just being stupid...

There are towers around 200ft or higher here in Goldsboro where Seymour is so I doubt thats what Johnston Co has a hieght limit. Sounds like they are just being stupid...

I have a feeling it was to appease the NIMBY crowd. They are currently rethinking the height restrictions.

Been seeing 4g service in Carthage, NC. On 15-501 at the Hardees for about a month. (not on the map!)

Got 4g on us1 at the new Tractor supply store outside of Southern Pines Monday.

4g reported at Harris Teeter in Aberdeen. Checked today, no 4G but much faster 3G.

• Like 3