Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

When is CDMA and LTE over 800 MHz coming to the RDU area? Will it be a massive "switch flip" in 2014 as I've read elsewhere, or will it come in bits and pieces as the NV rollout has happened thusfar?

Edited by spotmeterf64

Ran down Guy road from us 70 and had LTE untiI I hit Shotwell.

Cool. I went to Selma today but I couldn't check the way I wanted to but I did see the progess on sensorly. It looks like someone has mapped some near downtown clayton also.

• Like 1

Cool. I went to Selma today but I couldn't check the way I wanted to but I did see the progess on sensorly. It looks like someone has mapped some near downtown clayton also.

:wavey:  That was me! I think it was an anomaly  There should be an Island of l LTE on Main street and Robertson and then on us70 and Moore st but nothing around it. 

• Like 1

389" timestamp="1369703891"]

:wavey:  That was me! I think it was an anomaly  There should be an Island of l LTE on Main street and Robertson and then on us70 and Moore st but nothing around it.

Ok lol.

• Like 1

I mapped LTE in LaGrange, NC on Sensorly today between Goldsboro and Kinston. Hopefully it will be live in Goldsboro, NC soon!

Edited by Rico4G
  • Like 1

I noticed some LTE plotted on Sensorly in Greenville, NC. Now I might actually want to go visit my grandparents this summer!

You should visit your grandparents regardless of LTE!  :o

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that 4G LTE has been added to the coverage maps for Raleigh, but it seems to be a tad optimistic compared to where I actually get it on my phone. I hope that Sprint continues to add more sites, but it seems that we still have a ways to go. Hopefully the Raleigh market can be checked off as complete by the end of the year, or at the very latest next Spring. We'll see.

Edited by spotmeterf64
  • Like 1

The tower closest to my house near Franklinton was finally lit up with LTE, but I can't get a strong enough signal at home to pick it up.  I drove by and mapped it on sensorly last week so I know it's working.

The coverage maps seem to do a pretty good job, at least out this way, compared to what I've seen.  There is a "hole" of 3G in the LTE coverage that's right on top of my house.  Oh well, need to wait for 800 LTE which hopefully won't be too much longer.

• Like 1

Any word when 800 MHz 1x and EVDO will reach the Raleigh/Durham/Cary area? With the IDEN network being shut down in less than 2 weeks, I hope we're not far away. There are some spots in the area that could greatly use the expanded coverage and building penetration of 800 MHz spectrum.

I am fairly sure my BlackBerry can connect to 800 MHz, but obviously it would require a PRL update.

Any word when 800 MHz 1x and EVDO will reach the Raleigh/Durham/Cary area? With the IDEN network being shut down in less than 2 weeks, I hope we're not far away. There are some spots in the area that could greatly use the expanded coverage and building penetration of 800 MHz spectrum.

I am fairly sure my BlackBerry can connect to 800 MHz, but obviously it would require a PRL update.

I don't think we know for sure when CDMA or LTE on 800MHz will show up.  The hope is that voice on 800MHz will start showing up rather quickly and LTE sometime soon after, but with no phone supporting LTE on 800 yet it won't matter whether it's turned on as quickly.

As for EVDO, it will never be available on Sprint's 800MHz network.

still no LTE in downtown wake forest, but im not really surprised.

They had it in for a bit. Was brilliant. I got lte all over for about a week..

It's like they taunted me.....

See your phone really could work.

Now back to you suck... :-(

My favorite is that you get ZERO signal at the sprint store by the factory.. That's got to help sales.

My favorite is that you get ZERO signal at the sprint store by the factory.. That's got to help sales.

haha i work next to the factory, zero service in my office bldg. what a joke considering it's right near the sprint store. the great part is the nearest tower is like 1 1/2 miles away on capital blvd going toward 540. ugh.

• Like 1

it was all coming from the averette rd tower as there is no LTE antennas on the wake forest water tower or flaherty park tower. they have since adjusted the downtilt in a way that does not favor us :\

still nothing (LTE) at crabtree mall area...i have a hard time getting 3g, forget lte, in 5 points area.  NCSU campus is lit up pretty well...gets weak on centennial, south side of campus.  I did some mapping at PNC, finally lit up that area last week.  Not sure if it will penetrate the arena though....I can never get any signal in that damn place.  Should be good to go for NCSU football though.

Edited by chrad44
  • Like 1

The current state of Raleigh LTE is shocking they announced it...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Ahhh, it depends on what you are calling Raleigh. Raleigh itself is pretty well covered except for certain parts of North Hills including Crabtree. Step right outside of Raleigh and things go downhill relatively quickly. Seems like Garner has stalled out and Wake Forest is still a black hole.

Ahhh, it depends on what you are calling Raleigh. Raleigh itself is pretty well covered except for certain parts of North Hills including Crabtree. Step right outside of Raleigh and things go downhill relatively quickly. Seems like Garner has stalled out and Wake Forest is still a black hole.

And again, that all depends, because most of the towers north of Wake Forest have been upgraded.  All of the Franklinton towers are now complete and all of Henderson as well.  In fact, Henderson was officially launched in the latest announcement, along with Dunn, but not Fayetteville.  And Durham and Chapel Hill are still not launched and showing on the coverage maps  even though coverage seems pretty good when I'm in RTP and parts of the way out there.

Oxford still has only one tower showing as accepted but I've never gotten LTE from that tower, only the ones from Henderson that happened to reach.

Things will fill in a get better as the rest come online.  But I really can't wait for LTE on 800 since I can't pick up LTE from the tower closest to home, even though it's broadcasting.  

• Like 1

if you look at the s4gru completed map, all the areas around wake forest have been completed, and left almost the entire town in "the dead zone". T-Mobile is the same story in Wake Forest. However, AT&T and Verizon have completed their LTE builds here.

The sensorly map is a false positive thanks to me. I had forced my handset into LTE mode one day and it stayed in 4G even when there was no signal.

Edit: Just wanted to add that T-mobile LTE signals are popping up in parts of Raleigh.

Edited by danielholt
  • Like 1

if you look at the s4gru completed map, all the areas around wake forest have been completed, and left almost the entire town in "the dead zone". T-Mobile is the same story in Wake Forest. However, AT&T and Verizon have completed their LTE builds here.

The sensorly map is a false positive thanks to me. I had forced my handset into LTE mode one day and it stayed in 4G even when there was no signal.

Edit: Just wanted to add that T-mobile LTE signals are popping up in parts of Raleigh.

We in wake forest sure are getting shafted by sprint and t-mobile. 

​But hopefully T-mobile will change there minds and sprint get the towers done that should have been done by now. 

Negative... I drive from south Raleigh area/garner and through downtown up to just b4 crabtree and get zip 4g once I leave my garner tower....

Negative... I drive from south Raleigh area/garner and through downtown up to just b4 crabtree and get zip 4g once I leave my garner tower....

Try cycling airplane mode. Thats what really stinks with LTE. The time for the phone to re-search for signal is way too long. I know it does it to save battery but id like the ability to choose that time myself. Its especially painful when you know youre just in a small dead zone but if anything tries to use data during that dead zone youre thrown back to 3g and sometimes in excess of 15 minutes to acquire signal again. Or you can just toggle airplane mode and it will re-search for signal.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Try cycling airplane mode. Thats what really stinks with LTE. The time for the phone to re-search for signal is way too long. I know it does it to save battery but id like the ability to choose that time myself. Its especially painful when you know youre just in a small dead zone but if anything tries to use data during that dead zone youre thrown back to 3g and sometimes in excess of 15 minutes to acquire signal again. Or you can just toggle airplane mode and it will re-search for signal.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Been around too long bud.... I know the tricks well... Fact is it isn't covered all that well and some high traffic areas I freq are empty right in the heart of Raleigh...