Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

@4ginnc or anyone really...

I got the signalcheck app and loaded it up. I noticed it reports a LTE signal strength, but is connected to EVDO. Does anyone happen to know if this means there is a LTE signal, but the 3g is stronger so it grabs that? Is sprint perhaps blocking LTE on the site? Is this just an artifact of the program?

My little dot in Creedmoor is showing on sensorly finally. At the closer and farther away zoom levels only right now, and missing in the middle layers. I'm sure that'll get updated soon enough.

Was in a rush leaving for home and forgot to start mapping when I left the office so it's just the one dot right now. Headed out to RTP tomorrow and I'll map some areas if I pick up 4G.

Thanks. I check the map everyday. :)

After having it everywhere last week, not getting LTE in brier creek or anywhere between it and RTP on 540 as of Sat/Sun. I've flashed a few ROMs since then, is it my phone or did they switch it off after testing? None of these towers showed up in the latest acceptance report either I do not think.

i picked up for about 5 miles this morning off i95 from mile markers 17-22 but when i came by later this afternoon there was no love (lte)

Did it come back on? Does any of I-95 have LTE yet? Nobody has mapped anything on 95 yet, I travel up there sometimes.

Looks like they flipped on some more in wake forest. Going down Jones dairy farm road has lte now. Once I'm out moving around I'll map it on sensorly

Which is good cause yesterday I had 0g almost everywhere up here

• Like 2

Was just outside Oxford today and got 4G. Think it was one of the Henderson towers that just got turned on. Our yo a small dot on sensorly but didn't have time to drive around. Also mapped some in wake forest today but it may have already been mapped.

Screenshots from Oxford:

5u6aquha.jpg

And speed test:

zezeqyve.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

• Like 1

No longer getting 4G at my job on Weston Pkwy .. since like Saturday (,-_-)

Go by the sprint office and smack them.

:-)

I got working lte outside my office at 54 and Davis

Still roaming 3g inside. :-(

I noticed this at some of the North Raleigh completed sites too. They were on, someone mapped sensorly, then they were off for a while. Seems like they're all back on now, so I imagine they're still testing, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Has sprint officially announced a Raleigh market launch yet? Sensorly is looking better and better each week. Ive read here they usually announce the launch at around 50-60% completion.

Seems like one or two more towers in Cary and inside the beltline will get us to near complete coverage for the city coverage. Dont knkw how far past 540 they will cover. I was surprised to see 4g all the way out in Wendell the other day. Not much and it didnt last long but nonetheless it was there.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Has sprint officially announced a Raleigh market launch yet? Sensorly is looking better and better each week. Ive read here they usually announce the launch at around 50-60% completion.

Seems like one or two more towers in Cary and inside the beltline will get us to near complete coverage for the city coverage. Dont knkw how far past 540 they will cover. I was surprised to see 4g all the way out in Wendell the other day. Not much and it didnt last long but nonetheless it was there.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

As far as I'm aware they haven't even announced the Raleigh market as in-progress yet. It seems like work has stalled a bit here, though. They installed new antennas and RRUs on a tower near me nearly 2 months ago and they haven't been back since then to install the new cabinets. Argh!

Raleigh was announced back in January as one of the markets where work has begun. It was in one of the forums here but can't find that right now. But here's the Sprint announcement:

http://community.spr...n-coming-months

EDIT:

Ooops... posted wrong link. Here's the right link for Raleigh announcement, and it was December.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/network-and-coverage/blog/2012/12/19/sprint-reports-significant-progress-in-deployment-of-network-upgrades-in-2012

• Like 1

I've enjoyed following this thread because of everyone's excitement, but I have a question about what will happen in this area with legacy 3G devices. I have a VM phone (EVO V) and the 3G data speeds have always been awful on Weston Parkway where I work and in downtown Durham where I live. I'm still not clear on this, but once all of these Sprint Network Vision upgrades are up and running in the Triangle, will my 3G get a boost to a usable level as well or will VM users on the Sprint network continue to be an afterthought?

Here are some speedtests from two days ago (dreadful) and this morning (usable for Email I guess?). I'm seeing a bit of a bump this morning but it might just be a fluke from being early in the day:

419992845.png

421832969.png

Edited by aldamon
  • Like 1

Welcome. The 3G speeds will definitely get a boost too. Today the legacy 3G network is connected (in most cases) to T-1 backhaul which is resulting in the slow speeds most people on towers that haven't been upgraded are seeing. When NV rolls out, new equipment is connect to much better backhaul (Fiber, AAV, microwave) which will improve 3G speeds and latency tremendously and be able to handle the new 4G network as well.

There is plenty of information on this site about the new network, as well as updates on Sites as they are completed and turned on. Many sites are already upgraded in the Raleigh/Durham area already. Consider becoming a sponsor to see more detailed information and help support the great information available on this S4GRU.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

• Like 1

3 LTE antenna's, 3 1900Mhz RRU's, and 3 800Mhz RRU's installed at 700 Averette Rd, Wake Forest, NC (Wake Forest/Rolesville) on 1/17/2013

Blueprints here: https://ftptower.americantower.com/SiteDocs7/48665/Drawings/306534-1-1-tower20130117_1_26_2013_17_23_19.pdf

and tower info at http://www.americantower.com/SiteLocator/SiteBrochure.aspx?lngSiteId=48665&towerId=0&towerNumber=306534&country=united states

LTE is good on this tower at over 2 1/2 - 3 miles.

• Like 2

1 of Wake Forest's sprint LTE sites is a water tower, owned by the municipality, its on white st, another sprint lte tower in the immediate WF area is on white st, and is owned by the county. No LTE from either tower yet. I assume it'll be here before too long, they've been deploying LTE at a rapid rate here.