Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

Requires log-in to see the whole article. :(

Research Triangle Park, N.C. — Score one for Charlotte over the Triangle - again!

This time in the never-ending battle for bragging rights, the Queen City has been fully covered by 4G LTE wireless broadband service from Sprint.

So said Sprint on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the Triangle is still waiting.

In some places, that is. Not everywhere.

While Sprint announced service in Charlotte as well as other North Carolina cities (Albemarle, Lincolnton, Shelby, Salisbury) and with it available in numerous other N.C. markets (Goldsboro, Fayetteville, etc. - you get the message), the high-tech Triangle waits.

Perhaps we can take some solace in the fact that Los Angeles is just now fully covered by Sprint.

But, all is not lost in the search for faster data.

Depending on where you live or roam, your 4G capable phone just might kick to a different level of service.

A big wireless user in the Triangle reports that as of Thursday: "It's hard for me to find an area that's not [showing LTE.]"

Sprint_logo-220x115.jpg

Coverage is not complete, however, as he notes "the hand off between LTE and 3G ... is still marginal. Data communication typically hangs when passing between the two services. Sometimes drops all together ..." But he says that could be a phone problem.

So, while Raleigh, Durham and the rest of the Triangle are not listed on the latest 4G LTE rollout announcement by Sprint, the service is growing into more of a competitive threat to emplaced AT&T and Verizon Wireless.

As WRALTechWire reported last September and again in December, Sprint is upgrading the backhaul needed to service 4G LTE and towers are being loaded with new gear.

"Beginning to see pervasive coverage of LTE on Sprint," the wireless user told WRALTechWire a couple weeks ago.

"LTE at millbrook & 70, pleasant valley area, Crabtree mall, areas on 540 and 440.

"Speeds continue to impress."

WRALTechWire recently pinged Sprint again about progress.

The message: Be patient.

"We have not announced timing for an official LTE launch in the Research Triangle Park area of N.C., but I can tell you we do have several 4G LTE sites on air in the Triangle today," Sprint's Kelly Schlageter wrote.

"We expect to launch sometime in the summer.

Between now and then, we’ll turn up more sites each week and customers are welcome to use 4G LTE where they find it."

For the record, here's the latest Sprint deployment list:

• Albemarle, N.C.
  • Bloomington, Ind.
  • Charlotte, N.C.
  • Contra Costa County, Calif.
  • Denison, Texas
  • Greeneville, Tenn.
  • Joplin, Mo.
  • Kerrville, Texas
  • Lafayette, Ind.
  • Lincolnton, N.C.
  • Los Angeles
  • Mankato/North Mankato, Minn.
  • Memphis, Tenn.
  • Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport News, Va.
  • Palm Bay, Fla.
  • Port St. Lucie, Fla.
  • Rochelle, Ill.
  • Salisbury, N.C.
  • Shelby, N.C.
  • Tullahoma, Tenn.
  • West Palm Beach, Fla.

Coming soon, Sprint 4G LTE to a tower near you in the Triangle.

• Like 1

I think they're progressing good in the Triangle too. Got a later start here than Charlotte, so not surprised Charlotte went live first.

Out my way, the tower I'm on at home is finally showing LTE but, alas, it's on my AT&T hotspot. I'm only holding on to that until Sprint lights that tower up with LTE. I was hoping Sprint would be first.

I move to Fayetteville, NC this Sunday, so hopefully I am greeted by good LTE. :)

I just had to chuckle.I got my gf to move from Fayettevile to Minnesota 1-1/2 years ago. She was so happy, but misses Waffle House.

• Like 1

I just had to chuckle.I got my gf to move from Fayettevile to Minnesota 1-1/2 years ago. She was so happy, but misses Waffle House.

Impressive! :o

I will not move places for a significant other unless she puts a ring on my finger.

I will have to check this out for my self. looks like the wake forest area is on track to get sprint LTE soon. I don't like calling it the Research Triangle Park due to still being stuck with sub par ISP's like time warner cable. Even comcast is better than them and they just don't seem to care about there network very much. Why didn't we get google fiber if we are such a tech area or at lest better than 50/10 that has poor uptime, really never get's close to that speed and throttles the living crap out of you for using youtube.

Or does stupid stuff like this: http://speedtest.net.../2659023349.png

I now feel so ashamed when I have to visit my cousins/annt with comcast paying half what I do, getting the speeds they paid for and better uptime along with not getting throttled up yours for using youtube.

But any ways I think it's cool AT&T/verizon won't be the only LTE players any more. :)

Edited by 4ktvs

I will have to check this out for my self. looks like the wake forest area is on track to get sprint LTE soon. I don't like calling it the Research Triangle Park due to still being stuck with sub par ISP's like time warner cable. Even comcast is better than them and they just don't seem to care about there network very much. Why didn't we get google fiber if we are such a tech area or at lest better than 50/10 that has poor uptime, really never get's close to that speed and throttles the living crap out of you for using youtube.

I now feel so ashamed when I have to visit my cousins/annt with comcast paying half what I do, getting the speeds they paid for and better uptime along with not getting throttled up yours for using youtube.

But any ways I think it's cool AT&T/verizon won't be the only LTE players any more. :)

I think the counties are not paying much attention to it...yet. I live in a nearby county and i got the usual lip service when I complained about sub par ISP's. However, at some point in the near future, if it has not happened yet, North Carolina will be "deregulating" the cable services. Let me see if I can pull up the specifics.

Here you go:

http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-article/2006/09/01/nc-nj-approve-cable-franchise-reform

https://prodnet.www.neca.org/publicationsdocs/wwpdf/61912nrri.pdf

• Like 1

I had to move to Athens, Ga for 9 months a year or 2 ago... while I lived there I had access to 100/5 using Charter, and the best part.. it was only $50 a month

anyone have close up photos of the alcatel lucent antennas and RRU's? I have looked on this site, but all I am finding are ericcson and samsung

something like this..

P2Klv2L%20-%20Imgur.jpg

• Like 2

Does having a bad 3G signal kill the battery? Charging stops or even declines while plugged. I now just turn off data connectivity in order to successfully recharge the phone. :(

Does having a bad 3G signal kill the battery? Charging stops or even declines while plugged. I now just turn off data connectivity in order to successfully recharge the phone. :(

Yes. Very very much so.

Yes, but I have never experienced it draining the battery faster then it can be recharged especially if you are using an outlet.

Mapped some more 4G on Sensorly around Henderson the last few days while I was out that way.

Signal is really steady all around the area I was in and reaches to the outskirts of Oxford. The tower marked as complete in Oxford isn't broadcasting 4G, or at least I couldn't pick it up where I was.

• Like 1

Received notification that 12 more LTE sites were accepted in the Raleigh/Durham market the past few days. Seven in the Raleigh Metro area and 5 in the Wilson area. More details in the Sponsor section: http://s4gru.com/ind...post__p__100135

Robert

I'm signed in to S4GRU.com but when I click your link it asks me for a forum password?

I'm signed in to S4GRU.com but when I click your link it asks me for a forum password?

Sponsor areas.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

S4GRU Membership Groups

S4GRU Sponsor. For members who donate money through PayPal to S4GRU to help fund the costs of Sprint 4G Rollout Updates, you get the S4GRU Sponsor title for six months from your last donation. Once you donate $100 or more in total, you get the title indefinitely and upgraded to Premier Sponsor (see below). S4GRU Sponsors get:

• Access to the S4GRU Sponsors Forum (contents subject to change, but includes some interactive maps)
  • Allow profile customizations
  • Larger profile photos (up to 250x250)
  • Can edit forum posts up to six hours after posting (incognito)
  • No limitations on auto signatures
  • Not subject to flood control timeouts
  • Store up to 250 Private Messages
  • No daily limit on Private Messages
  • Up to 10 People allowed in a Personal Message
  • Can view who gave you reputation points
  • Unlimited inline notifications

S4GRU Premier Sponsor. S4GRU Sponsors who donate $100 or more in total, get to keep the title indefinitely and you also get in addition to the benefits of the S4GRU Sponsor above:

• Access to the S4GRU Premier Sponsor Forum (contents subject to change, but includes the original baseline NV schedule maps for many markets)
  • Bypass word filters
  • Can post HTML in posts
  • No limit to number of people allowed in a Personal Message
  • Unlimited PM storage
  • Allow attachments in PM's
  • Allow unlimited amounts of reputation points to be given
  • Larger profile photos (up to 250x400)
  • Can edit forum posts at any time (incognito)
  • Can soft delete own posts
  • Avoids any moderation queues

S4GRU Contributing Author. For members who write news articles for S4GRU, you get an even better membership group. S4GRU Contributing Authors get all the S4GRU Premier Sponsor benefits plus they get the acclaim of being in the S4GRU inner circle and access to Staff forums. After you become a trusted regular contributor, you will be given the ability to post your own articles directly up in The Wall. You can create drafts of articles and keep them stored until ready for publishing. This status will stay active for six months after you publish your most recent S4GRU article.

NOTE: The PayPal donation button is located in The Forums main page, at the upper right hand corner.

ANOTHER NOTE: For a speedier upgrade, please put your S4GRU screen name in the comments section of your PayPal donation.

After donation: Most donations result in an automatic upgrade within minutes. If you click on your profile and see that your Group now says S4GRU Sponsor or Premier Sponsor, then your account upgrade has taken effect. 90% of accounts are upgraded very quickly. Sometimes I am out of cell range and cannot sign in to upgrade your account, this may result in a delay for a few hours. Once your account is upgraded, you no longer need a password to access Sponsor forums, but you may have to sign out and back in, depending on your browser and its settings.

• Like 1

3G and 4G ... 4-5 bars... but data absolutly worthless in wake forest. 0.001 download speeds. been like this for 2 weeks.

Is sprint's network really that bad here or are you talking about Verizon or both? I am out of town, so I was going to go into a sprint store to see how there network has been going, but if it's that bad I may just wait a bit. That new sub division is not going to help thing's after it's built.