Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

hopefully it leads to a pot of 800mhz LTE

Are there any sprint phones with 800mhz LTE chipsets yet ie they planned ahead? I'm sure that will help ALOT with indoor signal strength whiffs is where Sprint has always stunk. I'm looking forward to the 800mhz voice where I frequently drop signal in stores or brick buildings. The "larger" wavelength is supposed to help with that correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

So I'm just curious for some perspective from you experienced guys out there -

It seems to me that the LTE speeds are extremely poor unless you are right next to a tower. Does the signal just not carry very well? Will this improve as more towers get lit up?

I have never gotten better than 10 mbps down and I average between 3-8 mbps. These are in some of the most common LTE areas of Raleigh. I've tested on Six Forks/540, along 540/Leesville area, and in Brier Creek. As well as in North Durham near Horton Road.

What's the deal with the weak speeds or signal strength just not carrying far?

smorcy11, on 24 May 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

It seems to me that the LTE speeds are extremely poor unless you are right next to a tower. Does the signal just not carry very well? Will this improve as more towers get lit up?

I have never gotten better than 10 mbps down and I average between 3-8 mbps. These are in some of the most common LTE areas of Raleigh. I've tested on Six Forks/540, along 540/Leesville area, and in Brier Creek. As well as in North Durham near Horton Road.

Only ~40% of Sprint's sites in the Raleigh/Durham market have had Network Vision upgrades so far, and an even smaller percentage of them have received LTE upgrades. It is very common to pick up a signal from an upgraded LTE tower that's 1 or 2 towers away from the closest tower to you -- there's quite a bit of overlap. Since LTE speeds are highly dependent on signal strength, you probably won't see super fast speeds while you're in an area where the closest tower has not been upgraded but you can still connect to LTE. When I'm in an area with good LTE signal strength I commonly see 20+ megabits. Also, keep in mind that Sprint advertises LTE speeds between 6-8Mbps.

I agree and am in the same area as you. And the explanation above is spot on. But with LTE, I can finally stream pandora/Google music without drops, no matter how weak the signal  :tunes:  :jester:

In my experience so far, when the signal is low (using LTE signal test app) I get around 4-5mbps. Any worse signal than that it drops to 3g. The LOWEST ive had was 2.5mbps and that was a very poor signal during peak time.

When I have decent signal I get about 7-20mbps.

My biggest complaint that will probably be fixed with more lte towers is when 4g signals drop from a usually small dead spot it takes way too long to pick the 4g back up. Only fix is cycling airplane mode.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by poor_red_neck

10mbs for 5x5 LTE is fine, better than 1mbs avg on Verizon LTE in a lot of areas in the RDU. If I go out into the sticks, I can pull 20-30mbs out of Verizon LTE, but really when you would use it in the city your speeds drop like a rock sub 5mbs very easily.

That and they are not even done putting up LTE yet. 

If you think I am BSing any of you about sub 1mbs LTE on Verizon video because some one always wants proof:

Ah. Auburn -Knightdale road?

No I think it actually sits on the school property. When I get time I will try to confirm it. I did run sensorly and it seems to be stronger around the entrance of 40 coming off of 70.

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I think this is the tower. I don't know if it has lte equipment or not but its behind where the old twc building is.

• Like 2

usyjuve7.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I think this is the tower. I don't know if it has lte equipment or not but its behind where the old twc building is.

Old Garner road right?

Thats what I am thinking. The old garner road site is RA03XC045. That seems a bit far based on what I picked up this morning. I had LTE almost down to shotwell road on 70. When I get a chance I check on RA03XC082 off of Guy road.

• Like 1

So Im having issues the past three days where I cant receive calls at home (Raleigh, Falls of Neuse & Spring Forest), nor send or receive text messages. I can place a call at home, and usually get a flurry of text messages during it (forcing a connection to the network). Phone works fine 2 miles down the road (presumably on another tower). Was told it was because of Network Vision upgrades in my area...is anyone else in the area having this issue? How long can I expect it to go on? Its been 3 days of this now.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing I will probably go to Walmart later I will check it out also if I go.

Ran down Guy road from us 70 and had LTE untiI I hit Shotwell.