Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Well, it's almost the end of Aug, and I really don't see any more updates for the Madison area. Data is still very rough on the West side of town (research park area). Downtown it's non-existent. I wonder if Robert has heard anything when work is suppose to be done in Madison.....

I fully expect within the city limits of Madison to be last in the market. Madison is infamous for not being business friendly. My company developed the Hyatt hotel downtown. The City was an absolute nightmare.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

I fully expect within the city limits of Madison to be last in the market. Madison is infamous for not being business friendly. My company developed the Hyatt hotel downtown. The City was an absolute nightmare.

Perfect!  Just what I wanted to hear....so glad there's all sorts of other markets that have LTE loving going on....maybe I need to start complaining to the city about it

• Like 1

Flashback!

The tech I talked with stated they do have an ETA to complete the rollout of LTE in Milwaukee of mid July, with a start date in January. This is the first I've heard of an ETA from Sprint, so wanted to let everyone else know. Who knows if this is official or if the tech was just making a guess, but I did state that I hadn't seen any ETAs yet and she was still insistent that these were good.

If that were only true... :/

• Like 1

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was saying it closed because of bad service. Service around the Brady St. area is actually pretty decent, but still slower than what I've experienced on AT&T. The people working there were always awesome too. I just mentioned it as an additional bit of info on how there's not really any Sprint stores in the downtown area.

What's worse, is that we've been getting teased with 4G for 3 months now. I live on the lower east side, and I see 4G pop up on my phone at least 2 times a night and then fall back to 3G after 10 minutes. Though even while on 4G, the network is useless. Seeing the store on Brady closed, I must admit, was fairly disheartening.  

Thats really interesting (and disheartening) to hear. Considering that some of the sites have permits (someone posted previously), its interesting that they cant get started on those. Slow progress is better than no progress I suppose.

Thats really interesting (and disheartening) to hear. Considering that some of the sites have permits (someone posted previously), its interesting that they cant get started on those. Slow progress is better than no progress I suppose.

Anything that has a permit probably will happen soon. But getting a permit on each site is an individual experience. They require even neighborhood approval there. So some neighborhoods may skate through approvals, no problem. Others, the city planners or the neighborhood committees could drag things out weeks or months.

I get so frustrated with these municipal approvals/permitting. These are existing sites, just changing around panels and cabinets. It shouldn't even require a permit. And if it does, it should just be a counter permit.

• Like 1

Anything that has a permit probably will happen soon. But getting a permit on each site is an individual experience. 

Well, most of Madison's downtown towers have had permits since April/May time.  Only 3 of those towers appear to have NV equipment on them, one broadcasting.

I've been trying to track down a crew at any of the towers and haven't been able to find one.  I spent most of Friday driving around from tower to tower (had some time off and hours to kill), hoping to see workers.  Nope.  Oh well, one day it'll magically happen.

EDIT: July had two more permits filed (that's 11 total now). Apartments near Brittingham Park in Madison and the big tower rack at Hwy 51 and Hwy 30 on the East Side.  The APT building would help serve Camp Randall, Regent St. and Kohl Center.

What's worse, is that we've been getting teased with 4G for 3 months now. I live on the lower east side, and I see 4G pop up on my phone at least 2 times a night and then fall back to 3G after 10 minutes. Though even while on 4G, the network is useless. Seeing the store on Brady closed, I must admit, was fairly disheartening.  

Argh, yeah. I saw 4G pop up the other day on my phone just as I was getting out of my car after I parked, but it disappeared almost right after.

I have a feeling service is going to get progressively worse as the week goes on leading up to all the Harley-related festivities for this weekend. It doesn't help that Milwaukee hasn't seen much action in the recent acceptance report update posts.

Where are you guys finding permit info? I live in Wauwatosa in Milwaukee.

Well, for Madison's permit information, I use google to ask, "Madison building permit reports".  Takes me right to the page, then you can pick all construction permits, month, and go.  Then once inside the permit document, just search for "Sprint" and it should be under Sprint Spectrum or something along those lines.  

However, not every community has a nice online system like Madison does.  For example, none of the surrounding towns have website access to that stuff.  I have to call Fitchburg, Verona, etc. on the phone and ask them if permits have been pulled for certain addresses (of the towers that can be had on the Sponsor section). 

Tosa doesn't have online reports it appears: http://www.wauwatosa.net/index.aspx?NID=626 but you can get the addresses of the towers and just call in and ask on a few.  Sometimes they're real nice, sometimes they want you to fill out paperwork and give them money.  

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that this site is in progress.  This site is on Old University in Madison and serves Camp Randall Stadium.  This is new in the last 2 weeks for sure....I haven't gone by it since then despite its proximity to my work (3 blocks).  These look like NV antennas, but the RRUs are covered up in boxes.  It is not broadcasting yet, nor has it been accepted.  Thoughts?

vFgncKR.jpg

• Like 1

EDIT: July had two more permits filed (that's 11 total now). Apartments near Brittingham Park in Madison and the big tower rack at Hwy 51 and Hwy 30 on the East Side.  The APT building would help serve Camp Randall, Regent St. and Kohl Center.

Sorry for hijacking this thread with the last three posts......I did some more driving tonight......

I just wanted to add that the Apartment Building on West Washington Ave, near Brittingham Park seemed to have two temp cranes/hoists coming off the roof.  The old antennas aren't there anymore from previous pictures, so this site might be in progress too, but I ran out of day light to get a good picture.  

Sorry for hijacking this thread with the last three posts......I did some more driving tonight......

I just wanted to add that the Apartment Building on West Washington Ave, near Brittingham Park seemed to have two temp cranes/hoists coming off the roof.  The old antennas aren't there anymore from previous pictures, so this site might be in progress too, but I ran out of day light to get a good picture.  

That's my home tower, so I'll head over there if I get a chance. My free time has been a lot more restricted lately though, so if someone else has time, don't let me stop you.

• Like 1

Near South Junction Road (County Trunk Highway M) in Madison's Far West Side, near the South Junction Road entrance of the Bishop O'Connor Catholic Pastoral Center (old Holy Name Seminary main building) the 4G symbol pops up on my Samsung Galaxy S III. The 4G indicator lights up by the entrance of the building's garage. Once inside the phone switches back to 3G. The location is on a small hill. Does anyone know the location of the nearest tower to this location?

Man, it's been pretty quiet in the Milwaukee market the past 2-3 weeks. I'm really hoping to see an update with like 6-7 accepted LTE sites in the Milwaukee area. I think we're about due!

I know.  Although, look at a city such as Denver or Phoenix..  we're ahead of them!

Man, it's been pretty quiet in the Milwaukee market the past 2-3 weeks. I'm really hoping to see an update with like 6-7 accepted LTE sites in the Milwaukee area. I think we're about due!

I had a good feeling about today and I was expecting to wake up to amazing news.  Not so much. 

Near South Junction Road (County Trunk Highway M) in Madison's Far West Side, near the South Junction Road entrance of the Bishop O'Connor Catholic Pastoral Center (old Holy Name Seminary main building) the 4G symbol pops up on my Samsung Galaxy S III. The 4G indicator lights up by the entrance of the building's garage. Once inside the phone switches back to 3G. The location is on a small hill. Does anyone know the location of the nearest tower to this location?

Your nearest location is over on High Point Rd.  However, the 4GEEZ you're seeing is most likely from the Middleton Tower that's actually active, if you look at Sensorly.com mapping for LTE, its possible to get a light signal.  Please map that 4G signal with the sensorly app if you're seeing it routinely. 

• Like 1

On the way home from work today I saw folks working on the towers in Hartford. One I know is marked as slated for an upgrade, the other is a bit off of where signal check shows it on the map, only by a block or two. It actually shows closer to a water tower but the equipment on that water tower looks more like repeater antennas rather then anything that would be cellular. I was able to get closer to one of them and saw a couple wooden crates next to the trailer parked at the base, but no un-boxed equipment. It certainly looks like the towers here are starting to get their upgrades and I can not tell you how happy that makes me!

I went and looked at those about an hour ago today. I compared them to the pictures I took at the start of the month. There were definitely temp crane mounts on the building, but apart from that, nothing visibly changed. Obviously, they could have moved some equipment to a non-visible part of the roof without me noticing, but there were definitely no new panels.

• Like 1

I had a good feeling about today and I was expecting to wake up to amazing news.  Not so much. 

I did a little more snooping into the Vernon/ Big Bend tower near my home since the 6 months have past since Vernon granted Sprints request for the upgrade. Town Planner called me back to say that Sprint has not even cleared the permits with Waukesha County that are needed and this initial request was approved in February of 2013. Looks like this tower will be slow to come up. I am assuming that a County like Waukesha is one of the less painful places to get the permits approved, but this sounds like a holdup on Sprints part right now... Bummer....