Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

I was at the brewers game yesterday and was getting really good performance before, during, and after the game. No issues what so ever. It was nice for once.

Any ideas that the issue is with the Loomis Rd & 894 tower? That thing has been marked at accepted for weeks with no Sensorly LTE mapping yet.

I was heading to the DMV on Grange on Thursday and I got real excited because all of the sudden my phone popped into LTE when I was at the stop lights of Loomis and Grange. You can see two little purple dots on sensorly from me at that spot. The signal dropped right as I crossed the intersection. I thought it was coming from Loomis & 894 tower, so after the DMV I headed over in that direction and did some airplane mode and PRL updates at the Loomis & Layton intersection. Sadly, nothing... 

But that little blip of LTE I got on Loomis and Grange is in no-man's-land. It's pretty far from any of the nearest completed LTE sites.

I was heading to the DMV on Grange on Thursday and I got real excited because all of the sudden my phone popped into LTE when I was at the stop lights of Loomis and Grange. You can see two little purple dots on sensorly from me at that spot. The signal dropped right as I crossed the intersection. I thought it was coming from Loomis & 894 tower, so after the DMV I headed over in that direction and did some airplane mode and PRL updates at the Loomis & Layton intersection. Sadly, nothing... 

But that little blip of LTE I got on Loomis and Grange is in no-man's-land. It's pretty far from any of the nearest completed LTE sites.

Could that be signal that someone else found in downtown Greendale?

Hey guys I was wondering how the 4G service is in Wisconsin or if theres any known future upgrades in my area. Right now I'm currently stationed in Texas but I'm going to be moving back within a month and am considering switching to Sprint from Verizon. I'm going to mostly be around the Northside of Milwaukee and up to West Bend and Hartford. Thanks!

Edited by schrosha

Hey guys I was wondering how the 4G service is in Wisconsin or if theres any known future upgrades in my area. Right now I'm currently stationed in Texas but I'm going to be moving back within a month and am considering switching to Sprint from Verizon. I'm going to mostly be around the Northside of Milwaukee and up to West Bend and Hartford. Thanks!

"Sensorly.com" it.  Getting better, very slowly. 

If you become a sponsor of this site, you can see where all of the currently accepted towers are in the area.  Sensorly is also something that would be good to reference since Sprint users typically map as much of the area as possible (it seems as though many of the people mapping are members of this site).

Wow, service was awesome at Miller Park (and the good guys won). Also, I was detecting 1x800 at Cottage Grove / Waterloo tower on my way back into Madison.

arera5a4.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

I was at the brewers game yesterday and was getting really good performance before, during, and after the game. No issues what so ever. It was nice for once.

Any ideas that the issue is with the Loomis Rd & 894 tower? That thing has been marked at accepted for weeks with no Sensorly LTE mapping yet.

Wow, service was awesome at Miller Park (and the good guys won). Also, I was detecting 1x800 at Cottage Grove / Waterloo tower on my way back into Madison. 

I was at the Brewers game on the 18th as well. Speedtest results were over 15M down. I was able to text and use data while tailgating and during the game. Both were things I was NOT able to do when I was there in April before the upgrade was complete.  My phone at that time, would not even send or receive a text message, the data was unusable and the battery drained just about completely out during the game because it kept searching for signal. 

The upgrade there is pretty sweet. 

• Like 1

the data was unusable and the battery drained just about completely out during the game because it kept searching for signal.

The upgrade there is pretty sweet.

Actually, that is an amazing advantage of the NV. Battery life is incredible. I was texting, checking replays on mlb app, posting, tweeting, etc. and battery was still like 70% when I left.

And those Braun bucks really helped with beer costs!

• Like 1

Hello, I am new posting to this forum but have been watching it since the beginning of 4g rollout in southeast Wisconsin. I to have been promised for 4 years that it is coming.... really.... but am glad that it is finally showing up. I have a few observations and then a few questions if someone is kind enough to help. I live in the Muskego/Big Bend area so it looks like I may still be waiting a bit for anything to occur in these more rural area's. I am thankful that my 3g actually works well 98% of the time on this side of town. I have no idea how you Sprint users in the Milwaukee area survived this long. I have been down to many locations in the Milwaukee area over the last couple of years and really noticed how incredibly horrible service is (was) along with the totally unusable data to boot. I have to be honest and say that I would have switched a long time ago if it were not for the semi-reasonable 3g speeds I get in Waukesha County. That being said, I have been spending some time snooping around my community and looking at the municipalities in my area to try and figure out when we might actually see any service light up out here. Here is what I found (and this may have already been spoke of so sorry if it has) .... For my fellow Southern Waukesha suburbanites..

Vernon has a tower located on Cheri Drive (Big Bend, but Vernon proper) that has had a request in for changes since February for the replacement of half of the 3g towers for 4g along with the running of fiber to the site. Unless I am missing something, the site does not look like anything has been done yet. I reviewed some of the 4g antenna pictures on this site and I am quite certain the 3g is still in place. I think Vernon gave them 6 months to complete, but the Town said companies often come to them for a extension.

Muskego does not post permit requests online like some do, but they confirmed that Sprint requested Work in the beginning of the year for what I assume is the 4g upgrades. I did not bother to pick up copies of that paperwork as I assume it looks the same as the ones I found online for New Berlin and Vernon. I looked at the Muskego Water Tower in the industrial park off of Racine Ave today, and this time I am not quite certain if the upgrades have been done. It does not look the same as the Vernon tower, but I don't think I see everything that is necessary for the NV upgrades.

New Berlin had a similar request to Vernon for 3 towers to upgrade half of the data antennas to 4g in 3 locations. One on Calhoun at the Municipal Building, one further out West by Racine Ave, and I am forgetting the 3rd. I have not looked at these towers to confirm any work is or has been done.

I am hoping that my information is helpful, and would like to ask someone that has access to this sites deeper info, weather or not any of these sites mentioned are showing any progress in the 4g area. I would also be curious as to how many Sprint owned sites are actually in this area? Am I wrong to assume a majority of the site in these rural areas are 3rd party owned and Sprint uses them. I cannot find any good specific information about Sprint tower locations on this side of town. Most listed on the Antenna Database website are not showing Sprints name attached to them even though I know Sprint has a presence on them. I am also assuming that Sprint uses some of the towers in this area along with other carriers, but maybe I am incorrect about that too. Please feel free to lay any info you can on me, I am anxiously awaiting my phone to say 4g connected in my own home and tromping grounds in this general area. I had the 4g tease on the way home along  I-94 last week, and most recently the South Side of Waukesha along 164-59 and I have been amazed at times. Thanks for your time....

I am hoping that my information is helpful, and would like to ask someone that has access to this sites deeper info, weather or not any of these sites mentioned are showing any progress in the 4g area. I would also be curious as to how many Sprint owned sites are actually in this area? Am I wrong to assume a majority of the site in these rural areas are 3rd party owned and Sprint uses them. I cannot find any good specific information about Sprint tower locations on this side of town. Most listed on the Antenna Database website are not showing Sprints name attached to them even though I know Sprint has a presence on them. I am also assuming that Sprint uses some of the towers in this area along with other carriers, but maybe I am incorrect about that too. Please feel free to lay any info you can on me, I am anxiously awaiting my phone to say 4g connected in my own home and tromping grounds in this general area. I had the 4g tease on the way home along  I-94 last week, and most recently the South Side of Waukesha along 164-59 and I have been amazed at times. Thanks for your time....

All the answers you are looking for here can be found in the members section by giving a small donation to the site. It's well worth it.

• Like 1

^ What putterizer said. This site has all the existing Sprint cell sites plotted on a map, as well as all of the 4g and 3g upgraded sites plotted on a map. The upgraded sites map gets updated 1-3 times per week usually. It's really fun to see the progress. Also check out sensorly.com where you can actually see the signal strength that people have mapped out in our area. 

On a side-note, I think the Milwaukee area is going to be really picking up the pace very soon. I've seen ALOT of network vision panels on many different Sprint cell sites that haven't been marked complete yet... Here's a list of some places where I've seen the panels already mounted... (these are approximate locations)

22nd & Pierce (Milwaukee)

84th & Bluemound (West Allis?)

76th & Layton (Greenfield)

Forest Home & Hwy 100 (Hales Corners)

the water tower at UW Waukesha

Brookfield Square Mall (Saw work being done, not 100% sure if it's for Sprint)

I think there were a couple more, but these are the ones I remember for sure. So I'm hoping these will come online over the next week or 2.

Hahaha. I was at the Great Taste also and Sprint was awful. That line did not affect Sprint. Why you ask, because 9 out of 10 people in that line have ATT or VW. Nobody really has Sprint. Every quarter no matter their marketing and unlimited data people do not care. ATT and VW are growing. Sprint will be surpassed by T-Mobile in a year or two. What is with the Sprint fanboys. I joined them years ago when they were the best. The truth is they have terrible leadership and have been sinking their own ship. When you are in third place out of the three major companies you are already doing something wrong. Sprint really shot themselves in the foot when they choose Wimax as the top two companies picked LTE. If the top two companies pick LTE, you go with it. Only Sprint people would be on an online forum getting excited about one tower. At the Great Taste in Madison as soon as you went over the hill at Olin Park you lost 4G and were on 3G. It was terrible. You can see the tower from the park. Sprint promised 4G in Madison originally by end of 2012. Now it was June, then July. Now the Sprint is telling me when I call very soon. Heard that for three years now. Go to Sprint store. The guy working told me end of August and the whole city of Madison will be turned on. My brother went to another Sprint store and they told him they don't even no anymore. The said Sprint sucks. Mind you these were employees at the Fitchburg location. Sprint is terrible and many people on here just have to much pride. Don't get me wrong. I want a full signal and fast speed. I regret resigning last year. I believed them at the end of 2012 and now it is just getting crazy. 

Well before you go and hate on everyone and Sprint, get your facts straight. Sprint didn't choose WIMAX AFTER Verizon and AT&T chose LTE, Sprint started rolling out WIMAX with Clearwire before AT&T or Verizon even had a plan for LTE. WHY? Because the LTE standard wasn't finalized, so Clearwire couldn't use LTE. Also, Clearwire had licenses for all its spectrum where they were required to use that spectrum within a certain amount of time or they would lose it. So really, they HAD to go with WIMAX or lose a bunch of it's valuable spectrum. 

Sprint isn't struggling because of its current management, what really killed them was their purchase of Nextel back in 2005. Sprint basically wrote that whole purchase off as a loss, and that's the reason for most of their customer losses as well. The Nextel network was just shut down as of June 30th, so as they've been winding it down and turning off Nextel cell sites, people have been leaving the network. The true test will be to see how Sprint performs NOW, after Nextel is completely gone. I believe Sprint actually gained customers on its core network (excluding Nextel) this last quarter. 

And yes, Sprint's network was very bad, but that's why they are overhauling the entire network.

• Like 6

^ What putterizer said. This site has all the existing Sprint cell sites plotted on a map, as well as all of the 4g and 3g upgraded sites plotted on a map. The upgraded sites map gets updated 1-3 times per week usually. It's really fun to see the progress. Also check out sensorly.com where you can actually see the signal strength that people have mapped out in our area. 

On a side-note, I think the Milwaukee area is going to be really picking up the pace very soon. I've seen ALOT of network vision panels on many different Sprint cell sites that haven't been marked complete yet... Here's a list of some places where I've seen the panels already mounted... (these are approximate locations)

22nd & Pierce (Milwaukee)

84th & Bluemound (West Allis?)

76th & Layton (Greenfield)

Forest Home & Hwy 100 (Hales Corners)

the water tower at UW Waukesha

Brookfield Square Mall (Saw work being done, not 100% sure if it's for Sprint)

I think there were a couple more, but these are the ones I remember for sure. So I'm hoping these will come online over the next week or 2.

Ok, I pulled the trigger and became a sponsor. Its a helpful map and I even found a tower or two that I didn't know were Sprint towers. Sadly this area of Southern Waukesha County I-43 does not appear to have any activity right now, but I hope it will be soon. If Hales Corners is getting ready, I would hope it would start moving out to Muskego next... 

• Like 1

Ok, I pulled the trigger and became a sponsor. Its a helpful map and I even found a tower or two that I didn't know were Sprint towers. Sadly this area of Southern Waukesha County I-43 does not appear to have any activity right now, but I hope it will be soon. If Hales Corners is getting ready, I would hope it would start moving out to Muskego next... 

I don't think they're really following a set pattern. I believe they are just going from tower to tower depending on which ones are ready to be worked on. (permits approved, fiber backhaul ready and so on). So really, they could start work on any tower at any time. I got to talk to a crew that was at the cell site by UW Waukesha, and it seemed like they were scheduled to work on a few different cell sites in the area. So it could happen any day!

• Like 1

My phone keeps flipping to EV-DO during the day, but once I reset the data connection in SignalCheck Pro it usually goes back to eHRPD.  Promising sign, or is my phone being stupid?  It's been happening mostly when I'm in Pewaukee during the day.

4g is active now on greenway cross. Mapping my trip

awesome! I wonder if this it the High St. tower or the Greenway Station tower?  Hopefully the later, which would mean two towers with equipment.  Head out to the High St. tower and see if the readings are super strong. 

awesome! I wonder if this it the High St. tower or the Greenway Station tower? Hopefully the later, which would mean two towers with equipment. Head out to the High St. tower and see if the readings are super strong.

I mapped out high street also. I was on 4g roaming. Even when it switched too native 4g coverage and getting zero bars, I was getting 18.00 down! . My trip has already showed up on sensorly.

I mapped out high street also. I was on 4g roaming. Even when it switched too native 4g coverage and getting zero bars, I was getting 18.00 down! . My trip has already showed up on sensorly.

4G roaming?? Did you get screenshots of this event?

Nice work on mapping. Be proud that's all you!! Ha ha.