Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

I know someone was saying something about Racine a few days ago and they're coming around I was on the south side or whatever by regency Mall and that was the first time I ever got 4G in that part of town. It lasted all the way to Hwy 20 and Ohio near Shopko. 6400k up and 1100k down. I know about the tower downtown, hopefully the rest of Racine is upgraded soon too.

4G roaming?? Did you get screenshots of this event?

Nice work on mapping. Be proud that's all you!! Ha ha.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4[/quote

I'll see if i can screen shot it today. I didn't wanna do it while driving. Was dangerous enough running speed test while driving lol.

A coworker who lives in west allis near state fair could not connect her iphone 4 to any 3G the last couple days. She called Sprint and they said the tower on 66th by state fair was "down". All traffic routed to 43rd street, but that tower is overloaded. I also noticed lots of 1xRTT and EV-DO the last couple days. I have to toggle airplane to get EHRPD, otherwise it goes to EVDO. Must be working on something around here.

A coworker who lives in west allis near state fair could not connect her iphone 4 to any 3G the last couple days. She called Sprint and they said the tower on 66th by state fair was "down". All traffic routed to 43rd street, but that tower is overloaded. I also noticed lots of 1xRTT and EV-DO the last couple days. I have to toggle airplane to get EHRPD, otherwise it goes to EVDO. Must be working on something around here.

This has been the story of my life since I started working downtown back in late May. Service gets particularly bad in the office. It's otherwise OK at best on the lower east side but gets horrible again around North Ave. I'm not surprised that there's not a single Sprint store around here. The one on Brady St. closed recently too. Tough to sell phones/service in an area where the network isn't doing so hot.

... I have no idea how you Sprint users in the Milwaukee area survived this long. I have been down to many locations in the Milwaukee area over the last couple of years and really noticed how incredibly horrible service is (was) along with the totally unusable data to boot. I have to be honest and say that I would have switched a long time ago if it were not for the semi-reasonable 3g speeds I get in Waukesha County. ...

It's still horrible downtown. I've been working downtown since late May and I don't know how long it's been bad before that. I can't rely on data for anything. Sometimes it's so bad I can't even "like" something on FB or grab an email. I really hope things start getting better. I've seen more flipping between the circle icon and 3G on my iPhone in the last couple weeks which I hope is a sign that work is going on.

Sad to say it, but I'd be satisfied with even just 30-40 KB/s download speeds if it could just be consistent and reliable. Even then, that's anywhere from 3-6 times slower than what I'd get on ATT's 3G/Faux G network.

Edited by norsairius

I'll see if i can screen shot it today. I didn't wanna do it while driving. Was dangerous enough running speed test while driving lol.

Grab some LTE engineering screen shots too while you're at it ---> "howto": http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2198-network-visionlte-new-orleans-market/page-38?p=90231&do=findComment&comment=90231

And I assume you have SingalCheck Pro installed, so definitely get a screen shot of that.  That'll tell you what / if you are roaming on and which radio.  Its possible to Roam for voice and be connected to Sprint's data according to other posts on this site.  Although, I'd guess that would be really rare.  I do not believe that 4G roaming is possible at all given the frequencies of LTE. 

This has been the story of my life since I started working downtown back in late May. Service gets particularly bad in the office. It's otherwise OK at best on the lower east side but gets horrible again around North Ave. I'm not surprised that there's not a single Sprint store around here. The one on Brady St. closed recently too. Tough to sell phones/service in an area where the network isn't doing so hot.

It's still horrible downtown. I've been working downtown since late May and I don't know how long it's been bad before that. I can't rely on data for anything. Sometimes it's so bad I can't even "like" something on FB or grab an email. I really hope things start getting better. I've seen more flipping between the circle icon and 3G on my iPhone in the last couple weeks which I hope is a sign that work is going on.

Sad to say it, but I'd be satisfied with even just 30-40 KB/s download speeds if it could just be consistent and reliable. Even then, that's anywhere from 3-6 times slower than what I'd get on ATT's 3G/Faux G network.

I am very happy with service on the Lower East Side (near Humboldt and Odgen)  I am just out of reach of LTE but the 3G speeds are great there.  I have one 3G speed test from a week ago that was 1.91 Mbps down and 0.56 Mbps up.  Nothing to complain about for 3G in my book!

I don't have Sensorly or anything, but I've been following this thread for a while. This morning I was pulling a 4G signal over by Junction Road and Old Sauk Rd in Madison. Speedtest.net said it was pulling just about 3m (and usually my signal is non-existent in this area). Seems like they're testing the towers over this way finally?

I deliver mail very close to the 66th street tower in west allis and the 4g is still very usable, however the voice and text is what's been acting up. I'm only able to text or call while roaming. 4g is still nice and fast though.

post-18646-0-99530200-1377102784_thumb.png

Took a drive past the Muskego (West College Ave) and took a shot or two. I will need someone else to make the call, but it did appear the NV equipment may be in the middle. This is a shared site so hopefully they have all the speed (Fiber) they need already there. I didn't bother trying for photos of the ground boxes as the site was covered fairly well with a fence covering. Thoughts?

Sorry. I wanted to just add photos, but this link to download was all I was able to do. I must be missing something.

Oooh!  Oooh!  We have an update to the 4G map!  One more tower is marked...  in process!

We are really moving along now!

:(

That's my home tower. Progress is progress!

My next day off I might have to go visit some towers and see what I can find. 

Took a drive past the Muskego (West College Ave) and took a shot or two. I will need someone else to make the call, but it did appear the NV equipment may be in the middle. This is a shared site so hopefully they have all the speed (Fiber) they need already there. I didn't bother trying for photos of the ground boxes as the site was covered fairly well with a fence covering. Thoughts?

Sorry. I wanted to just add photos, but this link to download was all I was able to do. I must be missing something.

Those don't appear to be NV to me.  I have a lot of racks around me that look like that.  The panels look similar, but I don't see the RRUs on the backsides, and those are pretty recognizable.  I think the middle rack is VZW equipment? or USCC perhaps?  The arrangement of the very top rack is what we're seeing all around that might be like Sprint's, NV (fat panel) in the middle with two legacy panels (skinny guys) on the outsides.  Again though, I don't see RRUs on that top rack.  Maybe the angle's bad though and something is there?

Here's Mooeydj's pics that are awesome -> http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1983-network-visionlte-milwaukee-market-including-madison/page-57&do=findComment&comment=182623

As far as posting pictures on this site....it's a bit of a hassle.  I seem to have more luck with loading them from the Tapatalk App on my phone than I do a computer.

I am very happy with service on the Lower East Side (near Humboldt and Odgen)  I am just out of reach of LTE but the 3G speeds are great there.  I have one 3G speed test from a week ago that was 1.91 Mbps down and 0.56 Mbps up.  Nothing to complain about for 3G in my book!

Yeah, service is pretty awesome there, for Sprint. AT&T quite honestly just spoiled me and I made the switch to Sprint because of the whole unlimited data thing and the promise of better service soon. Sprint was fine when I worked out in the 'burbs, though I was moved to a new office space around Good Hope/45 and it sucked there for a while but actually did get better.

Further downtown on the other hand, I work near Michigan and 4th St. and it's been anything but good since I started working here in late May. I can't even get plain text emails to come through sometimes. It's been okay on a few occasions and I've even seen 4G pop up, but the 4G/good service usually disappears quickly after I've used it for a bit and I assume this is because there's some testing and tower work going on. The reliable/good service is unfortunately always the exception and very rarely the rule.

The rollout updates seem to indicate that work is progressing decently, but from what I can tell, most updates have been for the 'burbs and along 94. Downtown needs some improvements badly.

Those don't appear to be NV to me.  I have a lot of racks around me that look like that.  The panels look similar, but I don't see the RRUs on the backsides, and those are pretty recognizable.  I think the middle rack is VZW equipment? or USCC perhaps?  The arrangement of the very top rack is what we're seeing all around that might be like Sprint's, NV (fat panel) in the middle with two legacy panels (skinny guys) on the outsides.  Again though, I don't see RRUs on that top rack.  Maybe the angle's bad though and something is there?

Here's Mooeydj's pics that are awesome -> http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1983-network-visionlte-milwaukee-market-including-madison/page-57&do=findComment&comment=182623

As far as posting pictures on this site....it's a bit of a hassle.  I seem to have more luck with loading them from the Tapatalk App on my phone than I do a computer.

That tower looks exactly like the one by me in Sussex.  I was thinking the top two racks were VZW (thin panels might be EV-DO, panels in the middle top rack might be 1X, middle rack might have 1X and LTE for VZW).  The middle rack was put up there 2-3 years ago when VZW was deploying LTE.  I think Sprint is on the bottom.  I could be totally wrong though... just a guess.  The tower by me is owned by Verizon, so I'd assume they would be on top :)

That tower looks exactly like the one by me in Sussex.  I was thinking the top two racks were VZW (thin panels might be EV-DO, panels in the middle top rack might be 1X, middle rack might have 1X and LTE for VZW).  The middle rack was put up there 2-3 years ago when VZW was deploying LTE.  I think Sprint is on the bottom.  I could be totally wrong though... just a guess.  The tower by me is owned by Verizon, so I'd assume they would be on top :)

You are correct in that this is a Verizon owned tower, I found it on Antennasearch. I suppose that would likely mean Sprint has the bottom spot. I tried getting some inside info from a high up at Verizon in my area, but they informed me that was a separate department that would have to be notified of the work being started. So we wait....

Is it fair to say this site would likely not need additional fiber run to it since it is an existing Verizon tower? That would certainly make for an easier 4g conversion.

You are correct in that this is a Verizon owned tower, I found it on Antennasearch. I suppose that would likely mean Sprint has the bottom spot. I tried getting some inside info from a high up at Verizon in my area, but they informed me that was a separate department that would have to be notified of the work being started. So we wait....

Is it fair to say this site would likely not need additional fiber run to it since it is an existing Verizon tower? That would certainly make for an easier 4g conversion.

Hard to tell, depends on if they share the same backhaul company. We've got AT&T, tw telecom, Time Warner Cable and others in the area with fiber. I'm assuming AT&T is a major backhaul vendor for Sprint, and in my experience AT&T is very slow and unorganized in working with their business customers. I think Sprint is also using microwave backhaul on some towers.