Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

That Rimrock road tower is not that strong. I'm going to the great taste and just last night I was kayaking and came out the creek right next to the park. I kept going in and out of lte. After going into lake Monona a bit I lost it. My fastest speed was 25gb. How do u post screen shots? Is there an app for this website?

Well, something must be going on. I randomly did a speed test just now. Ping was 550ms, download speeds averaged around 28 KB/s. The weird thing was that upload speeds jumped WAY up to 350ish KB/s and slowly settled back down to 80 KB/s. Speeds are usually the other way around with download being faster than upload. Even then, the upload speeds were much faster than what I had ever seen (up or down) when I've run speed tests inside the office.

Chances are, and it's not 100% sure (it's just my own layman's experience) that work is proceeding downtown. Typically when Network Vision work is going on at any given site, phones connected to that site will experience unstable service in all areas (Voice, Text and Data).

The other think to bear in mind is that since downtown is heavily populated, many phones may be trying to use data at the same time which, of course, drags things to a snail's pace - if you're lucky.

Considider dropping some scratch to the site and become a sponsor. You can find out how here: ( http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/ ) It doesn't take much - give what you can. You'll have access to lots of great information.

• Like 1

That Rimrock road tower is not that strong. I'm going to the great taste and just last night I was kayaking and came out the creek right next to the park. I kept going in and out of lte. After going into lake Monona a bit I lost it. My fastest speed was 25gb. How do u post screen shots? Is there an app for this website?

Easiest way is to use imgur.com. Create a free account there and upload your images. From there you can select the photos you wish to share here. To do that, click on "View Image Info" and select "Generate Image Links". Select the image you wish to post and then "Done". Be sure to change the link type to "Direct Link" and change the image size if you'd like.

In the "Reply to this topic" (or when you create a new one) section a topic or forum, click on the "Image" button. It looks like a tiny green square on the bottom row of  the format icons. Paste the COMPLETE URL of the image and then "OK" and your image will pop into place.

I took some pictures of the Waukesha Tower. Is Sprint on the 2nd Rack from the top? Total of 3 racks on the tower. Anybody know what each rack is?

NaiKpuc.jpg

Top tier is Sprint, followed by most likely AT&T, and then what appears to be Verizon.

I took the beltline into work this morning.  I did not see any LTE the entire drive.  I had the senslory app running, along with SignalCheck Pro.  Nothing, nadda, zip for an LTE signal.....LTE is in Sun Prairie (granted, it's more like 3g speeds, but it shows up as LTE).  That signal drops out and switches to 3g by American Parkway.

The attached screen shots are from tests I ran at the Aquatic Center in Sun Prairie.  The NV panels are on the water tower there (I was about 100 meters away from the panels)

post-4392-0-35404800-1375965397_thumb.png

post-4392-0-71324700-1375965473_thumb.png

Oh baby, 4G goodness last night!! Sitting outside on my patio, my S4 actually kicked off the WIFI and jumped on to a 4G signal. So, I shut the wifi off on the phone and low and behold the glorious 4G icon came on.

I wish I could post the screen capture of the speed test. I took 6 tests between 7:45 and 8:15.

Slowest: 6652kbps down, 2671 up

Fastest: 18331 down, 6438 up

I assume they were testing the tower going in by UW Waukesha. This morning, back to 3G :wacko:  :(

Buddy of mine here in Madison said he was getting LTE near his place at the intersection of 12/18 and Cty Hwy AB out by Yahara Golf Course this morning.  Must be working their way east from that Rimrock tower!  I'm sure they are just testing, but at least they are moving forward!

Buddy of mine here in Madison said he was getting LTE near his place at the intersection of 12/18 and Cty Hwy AB out by Yahara Golf Course this morning.  Must be working their way east from that Rimrock tower!  I'm sure they are just testing, but at least they are moving forward!

If you or him have some time, you should head out there and take some pictures. There's only 2 towers it could be, and based on the signal strength he got, it should be easy to determine which one it is.

If you or him have some time, you should head out there and take some pictures. There's only 2 towers it could be, and based on the signal strength he got, it should be easy to determine which one it is.

Im pretty sure its going to be the one west of 90.  I wont be heading down that way until next week probably...i can take a look then, but it might be live by then, who knows!

Oh baby, 4G goodness last night!! Sitting outside on my patio, my S4 actually kicked off the WIFI and jumped on to a 4G signal. So, I shut the wifi off on the phone and low and behold the glorious 4G icon came on.

I wish I could post the screen capture of the speed test. I took 6 tests between 7:45 and 8:15.

Slowest: 6652kbps down, 2671 up

Fastest: 18331 down, 6438 up

I assume they were testing the tower going in by UW Waukesha. This morning, back to 3G :wacko:  :(

Where in Waukesha are you? Not an exact address, obviously, but what nearby street intersections? I have driven by that UW Waukesha tower multiple times over the past few weeks and I haven't been able to spot NV panels. I'm far from an expert though.

Where in Waukesha are you? Not an exact address, obviously, but what nearby street intersections? I have driven by that UW Waukesha tower multiple times over the past few weeks and I haven't been able to spot NV panels. I'm far from an expert though.

Right next to the courthouse.

Chances are, and it's not 100% sure (it's just my own layman's experience) that work is proceeding downtown. Typically when Network Vision work is going on at any given site, phones connected to that site will experience unstable service in all areas (Voice, Text and Data).

The other think to bear in mind is that since downtown is heavily populated, many phones may be trying to use data at the same time which, of course, drags things to a snail's pace - if you're lucky.

Considider dropping some scratch to the site and become a sponsor. You can find out how here: ( http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/ ) It doesn't take much - give what you can. You'll have access to lots of great information.

Yeah, I know it's pretty dense around here with the subscriber base, so I understand if it gets sluggish/unusuable. It just stinks. :/ Thanks for the info!

I've seen LTE pop up once around where I live on the lower east side and then at least a few times outside eating lunch closer to where I work, northeast of the Third Ward, so my assumption is that they're doing work. It makes the poor performance more bearable knowing (or at least believing) that there's work going on, haha.

As of now, my phone has dropped to 1xRTT data with no 3G. It's been flipping between the two a lot this week where I'd at least get 3G most of the time before (though it still had slow/inconsistent speeds).

• Like 1

Im pretty sure its going to be the one west of 90.  I wont be heading down that way until next week probably...i can take a look then, but it might be live by then, who knows!

I'm fairly certain the tower at hwy 151 and hwy 30 intersection has new antennas + RRUs on it, so quite possibly it could be that tower. I haven't been back over there in about a week, and I don't have any pictures.  It's a very dense tower with lots of equipment on it.

Like they've seen in other areas around the country, the LTE could go active and then go back off quite quickly....or it may only accept so many connections to the LTE at one time during testing.  If you see a blip, that's a very good sign and map that sucka with SignalMap!   It is also true though that these LTE signals can travel quite some distance.....if you look at the Madison maps, before the Rimrock tower was turned on, there was signal on the beltline that could only really be attributed to the McFarland Tower that was active (tower IDs I grabbed confirmed this).  Now there are a few more around that are working sporadically.

I'm fairly certain the tower at hwy 151 and hwy 30 intersection has new antennas + RRUs on it, so quite possibly it could be that tower. I haven't been back over there in about a week, and I don't have any pictures.  It's a very dense tower with lots of equipment on it.

Like they've seen in other areas around the country, the LTE could go active and then go back off quite quickly....or it may only accept so many connections to the LTE at one time during testing.  If you see a blip, that's a very good sign and map that sucka with SignalMap!   It is also true though that these LTE signals can travel quite some distance.....if you look at the Madison maps, before the Rimrock tower was turned on, there was signal on the beltline that could only really be attributed to the McFarland Tower that was active (tower IDs I grabbed confirmed this).  Now there are a few more around that are working sporadically.

151 and 30?   sure you dont mean 90\94- 30 intersection?   (thats terrible that you can say "very dense tower with lots of equipment on it." and I actually have an idea of what tower you are talking about! lol)

Ill head to that one after work and see whats up...grab a few pics if i can

151 and 30?   sure you dont mean 90\94- 30 intersection?   (thats terrible that you can say "very dense tower with lots of equipment on it." and I actually have an idea of what tower you are talking about! lol)

Ill head to that one after work and see whats up...grab a few pics if i can

Whoops, 51 and 30, not 151.  I think its more likely this one than the other you're talking about, although maybe that one has equipment on it too, its closer to the others that have been upgraded already.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know it's pretty dense around here with the subscriber base, so I understand if it gets sluggish/unusuable. It just stinks. :/ Thanks for the info!

I've seen LTE pop up once around where I live on the lower east side and then at least a few times outside eating lunch closer to where I work, northeast of the Third Ward, so my assumption is that they're doing work. It makes the poor performance more bearable knowing (or at least believing) that there's work going on, haha.

As of now, my phone has dropped to 1xRTT data with no 3G. It's been flipping between the two a lot this week where I'd at least get 3G most of the time before (though it still had slow/inconsistent speeds).

Oops. Sorry about that awkward quoting. I'm at a park by state fair and I'm in the same boat as norsairius is downtown. From no data to crap 3g to strong 4g. Everyone who has sprint at the office by the grounds has been having trouble with texts, data and battery life since late last week. Very frustrating. I was able to map some 4g at the park just south of 76th main and around the office/back lot around that intersection. Very little 4g has penetrated the building.

It couldn't have happened at a worse time for me. They're shrinking our cubicles at work and so I have no desk phone and my cell doesn't work. All in the name of progress I suppose. Unless the carnies are behind it. Then it's in the name of small hands and cabbage.

• Like 2

I've seen LTE pop up once around where I live on the lower east side and then at least a few times outside eating lunch closer to where I work, northeast of the Third Ward, so my assumption is that they're doing work. It makes the poor performance more bearable knowing (or at least believing) that there's work going on, haha.

The flippy floppy service (From 1x, to 3G to roaming) isn't unusual while they work the sites. It WILL settle down and you'll have tasty LTE goodness with lots of speed slathered on for flavor in no time.

The sucky part about downtown sites is that it's difficult to physically see progress because the antenna panels are mounted on a building so the work is less obvious. If you're lucky, you'll see work trucks parked in an alley.

I think it is sad that Sprint couldn't make an effort for the techs to focus on State Fair.  How do you think the customers feel with the crappy service?

Crappy service? How about no service at all!?! We were at the fair last night and I couldn't even get a text message out to check with the babysitter. Got home and the 4G was at full strength.