Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

It sounds like a tower is being upgraded that is near to my work. I work at St. Lukes on 27th & Oklahoma.

I was just in the ER today (Work related). Were you the guy holding up your phone like it was baby Simba in The Lion King?

I was in pleasant prairie today. When I first arrived I had 3g and no phone/texting service. Then it switched to just phone and texting. My phone almpst died. Just as I was going to leaving I had 3% left. I toggled to airplane mode. Then 4G popped up. I didnt have enough battery to map it tho.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Either the heartland tower is getting better signal or another tower in waukesha lite up. I picked up 4G for a little at last night leaving majestic theater. Going down co hwy jj, From the bridge at Redford blvd to the corner of the airport on waukesha J. I lost the signal as soon as I turned towards the freeway.

My sensorly had an error earlier that day an was not recording anything. I cleared it settings and it recording again. When I get some time ill try to go map the section I explained above.

Either the heartland tower is getting better signal or another tower in waukesha lite up. I picked up 4G for a little at last night leaving majestic theater. Going down co hwy jj, From the bridge at Redford blvd to the corner of the airport on waukesha J. I lost the signal as soon as I turned towards the freeway.

My sensorly had an error earlier that day an was not recording anything. I cleared it settings and it recording again. When I get some time ill try to go map the section I explained above.

I'm guessing it's coming from the Hartford tower... There seem to be little pockets of LTE a fairly good distance away from there. However, that would be amazingly awesome if there was another tower popping up in the Shaw. I work in the Airport Rd business park right to the South of the airport. So if LTE is in Waukesha, I will sniff it out! (on Monday)

The LTE signals travel farther than you think... They just set a lower limit on the signal strength before it falls back to EV-DO. If you have the signal check pro app, you'll see that if you're driving and your phone drops back down to 3g, you'd think the LTE signal is gone, but look in signal check and you'll see often times there is still an LTE signal, it's just too low to be reliable at that point, so your phone grabs onto the much stronger EV-DO signal from another tower in the area.

So in burlington wi 800 is live the coverage increase is night and day... but its very unrealible switchs back to pcs even when signal is unusable and I have never seen it hand off from 1900 to 800 without droppin. I know its the beginning so it can only get better I'm excited!

Nv equipment? Sorry for the dark pictures. I just left work and wanted to go check the local tower. I've been told there's been people hanging from the tower working on it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 of 2 possible nv cabinets?

Posted Image

Somewhat close look at an nv panel?

Posted Image

Possible nv cabinet #2?

Posted Image

• Like 1

Nv equipment? Sorry for the dark pictures. I just left work and wanted to go check the local tower. I've been told there's been people hanging from the tower working on it.

1 of 2 possible nv cabinets?

Somewhat close look at an nv panel?

Possible nv cabinet #2?

Nh cab 2 ? Yes

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Awesome. I'll have to go back and look at it closer tomorrow if I get a chance. If not it'll be Monday and I'll hopefully get better pictures.

Am I correct with thinking the panel on the far left in the first picture is nv equipment as well? The other two look familiar to legacy panels I've seen on the tower around the corner from my house.

I drove threw Waukesha near the air port and picked up the 4G once again. It is a tower near WCTC in peawaukee, WI. It must be in testing cause it only works near the air port and fear down the road on hwy 16.

post-1036-0-38591700-1372566871_thumb.pngpost-1036-0-91046800-1372566872_thumb.png

While scanning going down hwy 16 I also picked up LTE a little bit down a ways between the hartland tower and oconomowc, wi.

post-1036-0-50760800-1372566823_thumb.pngpost-1036-0-01362200-1372566825_thumb.png

My mapping has shown up on sensorly but they where weak signals. This will complete some of the missing spots on i94 tho when they officially come online.

Picked up 4g on hwy 120 in spring pairie, between lake geneva and east troy! Only blipped for a second got it on senory tho!

• Like 1

:/ It's been quiet in the Milwaukee area lately. I'm hoping those crews that completed the 7-8 towers in the area are close to completing the next 7-8 towers in the area! We got some on the North side of Milwaukee, by the lakefront, to the South of Milwaukee, and way out in Hartland. Now we just need them to start moving inward.

I talked with a worker at the base of the tower next to the bowling alley on 38. He said Lte should have gone live today but no such luck. All the cabinets were complete but the panels just needed to be powered on.

He also said that legacy panels would be staying up there for awhile and then getting taken down later on for different panels.

I talked with a worker at the base of the tower next to the bowling alley on 38. He said Lte should have gone live today but no such luck. All the cabinets were complete but the panels just needed to be powered on.

He also said that legacy panels would be staying up there for awhile and then getting taken down later on for different panels.

Lucky! I'm hoping I can stop and bother some contractors at a cell site. I'm not lucky enough to have seen any yet. Speaking of that, I haven't even seen any towers that are being worked on yet :/

no more ehrpd showing up in Madison any longer. it all evdo rev-a now

Well, all the towers I've been snooping around show no improvements unfortunately.

Yeah I've done the parade quite a few times, the last one being in 2010 and I could not believe how big the crowds have gotten. If there ever was a test for a mobile network, 500,000+ people occupying a relatively small number of city blocks, I don't know what is? It will be interesting to see!

Report from Chicago: Overall NV is great. While I wasn't experiencing stellar speeds, pings were always <75ms and typically averaging 50-65ms which gives a much greater perception of speed. Right as the parade was ramping up I got a slight delay in outgoing voice calls but all went through and never dropped. I continued to send/receive txts throughout the parade. I was able to upload pictures to Facebook instantaneously, and got a 10+Mbps speedtest right along the parade route. Crowd estimates were close to 1 million, so I'm very impressed with how well things performed, especially in those circumstances. 

On a side note, does anyone know of a good / reasonably priced to get a GS3 screen replaced?  :wacko: Mine met the sidewalk...

• Like 1

I went and visited the tower right down the street from my store again and this time caught a programmer working inside the cabinets. According to him the tower by the bowling alley will go live tomorrow and there are 3-4 others in the general Milwaukee area that he knows are on his schedule but he didn't want to tell me where.

If you see a little black truck at any towers go stop by cuz it's probably him!

• Like 1

definitely nothing new on the west side.

West side?  I'm sure that will be the absolute last area that will be worked on for the sprint network.......There's been nothing going on here....

On a side note, does anyone know of a good / reasonably priced to get a GS3 screen replaced?  :wacko: Mine met the sidewalk...

Try giving Samsung a call.  I do phone repairs at my business but Samsung has quoted repairs for less than I can buy the screen for.  Worth a shot!

The problem is the screen is attached to the digitizer and getting them separated is impossible, so you have to buy both.

Report from Chicago: Overall NV is great. While I wasn't experiencing stellar speeds, pings were always <75ms and typically averaging 50-65ms which gives a much greater perception of speed. Right as the parade was ramping up I got a slight delay in outgoing voice calls but all went through and never dropped. I continued to send/receive txts throughout the parade. I was able to upload pictures to Facebook instantaneously, and got a 10+Mbps speedtest right along the parade route. Crowd estimates were close to 1 million, so I'm very impressed with how well things performed, especially in those circumstances. 

Interesting; I had a much poorer experience on the parade route. On the north side of the route I was being pushed down to 1x, no LTE or 3G showing up anywhere. As I got closer to the Boystown area (by Roscoes) I was able to pick up LTE and it was *decent* speeds. I never ran a speed test, but I was able to load up Foursquare and Facebook after a slight delay.

Overall much better than prior years when I would end up roaming pretty much the entire weekend.