Today I was at best buy on the international speedway in Daytona Beach across the street from the nascar race track and noticed there were men working on this tower. I assumed it was sprint since all the other carriers already have LTE officially launched in Daytona, anyone know anything about it ?

I spy N.V. equipment in that photo, its a good sign.. But contractors are working ahead of backhaul preparation in daytona, Most likely it won't be LTE live for a while.. I'm assuming this is the tower at 225 Fentress Blvd which has permits pulled and issued for Westower Communications. It passed inspection for electrical work on April 2nd; Which is a good thing to know since the same electrical contractor is doing the other towers aswell. Could help correlate the upgrade dates..

What is backhaul?

Low backhaul means poor data speeds because there is not enough bandwidth. They increase bandwidth by converting from T1 lines to fiber optic, which is like going from original DSL to Roadrunner turbo/lightning. In fact, many carriers are using the fiber optic networks owned by cable companies to increase their backhaul so that customers can get higher speeds during peak times.

Hey guys, good news. I woke up this morning (I live on the corner of Econ and Lee Vista) and I had a great LTE signal... looks like Sprint turned one of the towers on that was completed.

I mapped the area around my apartment complex and Lee Vista, and will map more after work. I mapped a good 350 points on Lee Vista all the way to Narco and the 528 that should show up on Sensorly soon. Extremely excited, I had the following speeds inside of my place:

post-9688-0-30801400-1365772954_thumb.png

post-9688-0-02927900-1365772959_thumb.png

• Like 1

Low backhaul means poor data speeds because there is not enough bandwidth. They increase bandwidth by converting from T1 lines to fiber optic, which is like going from original DSL to Roadrunner turbo/lightning. In fact, many carriers are using the fiber optic networks owned by cable companies to increase their backhaul so that customers can get higher speeds during peak times.

Thank you. I see at of tower with LTE equipment but no Service. Now I understand

The tower work could very much be done, or they could still need to swap out the equipment at the base of the tower since NV includes replacing the entire base station hardware as well as the new antennas. However, I doubt Sprint will turn on any tower until the backhaul can support LTE speeds. If they turned it on prior to improving the backhaul, customers would be complaining of LTE speeds that were no better than the current abysmal 3G speeds.

From what I have been seeing the back haul should be complete, or near completion, from north International Dr all the way to Disney World, up to the Winter Garden and Windermere Areas to 192. Almost every highway in this area is having fiber optic line laid. I have really been amazed by the number of crews and miles of flags and new markers I have seen pop-up. Then I began checking numerous cellsites and noticed evidence of recent fiber cable being laid. Recently, I was in Sanford and Orange City and observed similar work being complete there too. 4 lte has to follow soon!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

From what I have been seeing the back haul should be complete, or near completion, from north International Dr all the way to Disney World, up to the Winter Garden and Windermere Areas to 192. Almost every highway in this area is having fiber optic line laid. I have really been amazed by the number of crews and miles of flags and new markers I have seen pop-up. Then I began checking numerous cellsites and noticed evidence of recent fiber cable being laid. Recently, I was in Sanford and Orange City and observed similar work being complete there too. 4 lte has to follow soon!

This would be awesome news. Now we just need more towers completed.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Just because fiber optic is there does not mean it can be used. A friend of mine has fiber optic on the road in front of him and he can't even get DSL. Satellite Internet is his only option.

Sent from my little Note2

Thanks. What part of Sanford did you see the crew working. Cause Iive off celery ave and for a couple of day there was a crew laying orange wires. And somebody told me those are fiber cable. But I didn't know if it was for sprint cause the nearest tower is about 2 miles away from my home. I though it might have been AT&T laying cables for U-verse

Thanks. What part of Sanford did you see the crew working. Cause Iive off celery ave and for a couple of day there was a crew laying orange wires. And somebody told me those are fiber cable. But I didn't know if it was for sprint cause the nearest tower is about 2 miles away from my home. I though it might have been AT&T laying cables for U-verse

Might be both? Aren't Bright House and AT&T both backhaul providers for Sprint?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Yes, that was one of the roadways I was referencing, and it appeared they were laying east. I am told the tower near Beardall and Celery is used by Sprint. The cable appeared likely to be headed in the direction of the tower and I took that as a good sign. However, I was unable to get close to that facility to confirm.

Yes, that was one of the roadways I was referencing, and it appeared they were laying east. I am told the tower near Beardall and Celery is used by Sprint. The cable appeared likely to be headed in the direction of the tower and I took that as a good sign. However, I was unable to get close to that facility to confirm.

Not sure about a tower on Beardall and Celery. On sprint website the closet tower is on 17-92 and 13 st. No matter what I can't wait

I spy N.V. equipment in that photo, its a good sign.. But contractors are working ahead of backhaul preparation in daytona, Most likely it won't be LTE live for a while.. I'm assuming this is the tower at 225 Fentress Blvd which has permits pulled and issued for Westower Communications. It passed inspection for electrical work on April 2nd; Which is a good thing to know since the same electrical contractor is doing the other towers aswell. Could help correlate the upgrade dates..

When is backhaul scheduled for Daytona. Also one thing I'm confused about, there are some towers in Daytona that sprints says have had data speed upgrades, yet when I'm near them, my 3g still sucks. A sprint rep claims they are only 1% finished in Volusia county but the numbers aren't adding up

When is backhaul scheduled for Daytona. Also one thing I'm confused about, there are some towers in Daytona that sprints says have had data speed upgrades, yet when I'm near them, my 3g still sucks. A sprint rep claims they are only 1% finished in Volusia county but the numbers aren't adding up

I'd be willing to bet that customer service has old and outdated information on the rollout. Also I've found that without dates, it's hard to gauge when upgrades went in. Also, the tower could still be well overloaded.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Its way more than 1%, There are a plethora of towers already upgraded, just waiting for backhaul which is totally off schedule even if we had the backhaul readiness dates, it wouldn't matter because those dates are out of sprints hand's and into an oligopolisitc set of bandwidth providers that are either a competing company A: AT&T or B: BrightHouse has a contract with AT&T to slow the process down to a crawl(just speculating).

Its way more than 1%, There are a plethora of towers already upgraded, just waiting for backhaul which is totally off schedule even if we had the backhaul readiness dates, it wouldn't matter because those dates are out of sprints hand's and into an oligopolisitc set of bandwidth providers that are either a competing company A: AT&T or B: BrightHouse has a contract with AT&T to slow the process down to a crawl(just speculating).

I'm considering switching to at&t. I have only been with sprint for about 6 weeks but the speeds are just not doing it for me since I came from t-mobile 4g HSPA, like I can't even check my voicemail. I'm afraid that this rollout in Daytona is going to take till the end of the year, maybe past that. Should I stay though, and are there any towers in Port Orange that are just waiting for backhaul ?