Network Vision/LTE - Lower Central Valley Market (Fresno, Bakersfield, Visalia)

aelenes

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/696718#696718

4g in Fresno/Clovis in the next 90 days maybe?

I hope they're right, but permitting issues have put Fresno behind even Clovis in terms of Network Vision deployment.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Clovis probably, but Fresno does not look good at all. AT&T's deployment of LTE in Fresno involved a metric ton of brand new stealth monopoles, which I suspect was mandated by the city in order to issue the permits. I can't think of why AT&T would incur that extra expense of replacing a bunch of towers unless they were forced to. Granted, there's some new AT&T stealth monopoles in Clovis, but not all of them were replaced. In Fresno, I can think of one or two existing monopoles (one of them being across Willow from the old Regency theater) that were simply upgraded with the new LTE panels. In case you want to see this site replacement ballet in action, check out behind the Savemart at the Herndon and Marks/Valentine area.

Regardless, I am confident that the city of Fresno has only one updated Sprint site. This one site is not a monopole, either. I went on a drive yesterday to some sites that would, ostensibly, be easier to permit because they are in industrial and lower-income/lower-NIMBY areas. No dice.

It also bears mentioning that there's usually a major delay between site upgrade and site "turn on," and even when it turns on, there's a good chance it wont be broadcasting LTE, at least initially.

If I were in Fresno, I would be looking to change carriers.

• Like 1

60-90 days is corporate speak for "lol"

That's the only time table sprint support is privy to. Either "next three months (90 days)", "3-6 months", or no information at all. Nothing more specific unless you get pretty high up, or someone who really knows what they are doing. And that's hard to do.

And that "90 days" could really mean tomorrow, or it could actually mean 90 days. Very difficult to know without knowing the status of backhaul at every site, the status of the 4G core, where the acceptance crews are, whether the cluster is ready to go, and if everything is in place for eCSFB.

That's the only time table sprint support is privy to. Either "next three months (90 days)", "3-6 months", or no information at all. Nothing more specific unless you get pretty high up, or someone who really knows what they are doing. And that's hard to do.

And that "90 days" could really mean tomorrow, or it could actually mean 90 days. Very difficult to know without knowing the status of backhaul at every site, the status of the 4G core, where the acceptance crews are, whether the cluster is ready to go, and if everything is in place for eCSFB.

So far in Visalia sites have been 3G accepted first to fix the eCSFB issues before they start. Tulare has been 3G or 3G/800 before 4G was accepted, and I've never seen any issues yet. I assume that's how they will deploy Fresno/Clovis.

Its not just Sprint though.

90 days is universally equivalent to "we have no idea but we're hoping for the best"

It's just as likely to be February 31. A hard date like that is on a level of optimism that exceeds that of most religions.

Agree. Kinda surprised that someone is even providing a date unless they are just trying to get you out of the store/off the phone. 4G has been "scheduled" in the next 3 months in Bakersfield for the better part of the year.

• Like 2

Clovis probably, but Fresno does not look good at all. AT&T's deployment of LTE in Fresno involved a metric ton of brand new stealth monopoles, which I suspect was mandated by the city in order to issue the permits. I can't think of why AT&T would incur that extra expense of replacing a bunch of towers unless they were forced to. Granted, there's some new AT&T stealth monopoles in Clovis, but not all of them were replaced. In Fresno, I can think of one or two existing monopoles (one of them being across Willow from the old Regency theater) that were simply upgraded with the new LTE panels. In case you want to see this site replacement ballet in action, check out behind the Savemart at the Herndon and Marks/Valentine area.

Regardless, I am confident that the city of Fresno has only one updated Sprint site. This one site is not a monopole, either. I went on a drive yesterday to some sites that would, ostensibly, be easier to permit because they are in industrial and lower-income/lower-NIMBY areas. No dice.

It also bears mentioning that there's usually a major delay between site upgrade and site "turn on," and even when it turns on, there's a good chance it wont be broadcasting LTE, at least initially.

If I were in Fresno, I would be looking to change carriers.

I dont think its a Fresno problem, its the contractor.

Bakersfield, Stockton, Modesto, Clovis, Sanger....

If it was ONE city that was stopped, it would be fair to blame their permit office, but every major city in the valley?

The problem is with either Sprint, their contractor, or their sub contractors. Someone dropped the ball.

Forget regular LTE thats over a year behind schedule, we were supposed to have 800 LTE two months ago, and yet they cant even get the 3G updates done.

Anyway, I tried to visit a Clovis site yesterday but it is deep inside a private property (farm) and it looked like the owners were outside so I didnt even feel comfortable stopping at their gate to take pictures.

I dont think its a Fresno problem, its the contractor.

Bakersfield, Stockton, Modesto, Clovis, Sanger....

If it was ONE city that was stopped, it would be fair to blame their permit office, but every major city in the valley?

The problem is with either Sprint, their contractor, or their sub contractors. Someone dropped the ball.

Excuse me?

All the sites Modesto has been cluster launched for 3G & 3G/800 and the wait is on backhaul providers to deliver backhaul to sites. 1/2 to 2/3rds of the sites in stockton have been converted already as of a month and a half ago with definitely more done by now.

Don't bring in cities from another market unless you know what you're talking about. 

Excuse me?

All the sites Modesto has been cluster launched for 3G & 3G/800 and the wait is on backhaul providers to deliver backhaul to sites. 1/2 to 2/3rds of the sites in stockton have been converted already as of a month and a half ago with definitely more done by now.

Don't bring in cities from another market unless you know what you're talking about. 

Adding to that, Clovis has multiple updated sites, as does Bakersfield. Fresno is unique because there's virtually zero site activity. Sanger doesn't have any progress either (as of a month or so ago, anyway) but that's not altogether unexpected because Sanger has exactly one site. Fresno has.... quite a few. For that many sites to be untouched, something "bureaucratic" is afoot, I think.

Excuse me?

I meant Madera, not Modesto. My mistake.

Roberts map indicates zero work finished in Stockton.

Roberts map also indicates very little work finished in Sacramento, and nothing in Bakersfield.

Sanger has one site, yes, also not worked on. (Should be two or three like Verizon but thats another discussion)

Roberts map also indicates very little work finished in Sacramento, and nothing in Bakersfield.

Sanger has one site, yes, also not worked on. (Should be two or three like Verizon but thats another discussion)

Jee wiz... Surely someone in the Upper Central Valley is tracking the progress of sites in that market right?

oh wait...http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3724-upper-central-valley-market-network-vision-permits-progress/page-54&do=findComment&comment=260439

• Like 1

Jee wiz... Surely someone in the Upper Central Valley is tracking the progress of sites in that market right?

oh wait...http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3724-upper-central-valley-market-network-vision-permits-progress/page-54&do=findComment&comment=260439

Im sure those sending Sprint a cheque every month and receiving abysmal service will be thrilled to hear that moving into 2014, permits are in motion and they should receive LTE sometimes before 2020.

Further, it doesnt make sense to blame the municipality when every other wireless company has LTE up and running in the market. I think it's fair to say that someone in the Sprint chain, maybe at subcontractor #46, made a mistake.

Maybe they filed the wrong form. I don't know, but Fresno city government isn't exactly Malibu. They approve things like they've never seen a rejection stamp before. The city is so ugly for a reason after all.

And apologies if I sound upset, but one does get irked when data speeds are so bad that a speed test doesnt even work.

2013-12-28152850_zps2b04df92.png

Site work and site acceptances are 2 different things. The Acequia site in Visalia had NV work done 2 months before acceptance. However, 4G acceptance and 1x800 acceptance are lacking, yet it's broadcasting 1x800 24/7 now. My dropped calls and bad call quality from that site have dropped to 0! I think the problems we see in Fresno is bureaucratic. Someone is paying city officials off to block Sprint permits from going forward. Mark my words, we will get to the bottom of this soon, and if something foul is afoot, we will report it to Sacramento to oust the crooked ones.

• Like 2

Someone is paying city officials off to block Sprint permits from going forward. Mark my words, we will get to the bottom of this soon, and if something foul is afoot, we will report it to Sacramento to oust the crooked ones.

I doubt thats the case, as I still think its just incompetence by someone, but yes, this needs to be solved.

I just hope that soon i'll be able to get decent data, and calls from my house in Visalia, and not have to rely on my AirRave, those 3 little beeps annoy me whenever I answer a call or make a call.

Every coverage map I see shows I have good reception but in actuality I'm still getting maybe 1 bar at the best, and even on roaming (with cricket none the less) I have 2 bars and the quality is garbage and will drop my calls every time.

I just hope that soon i'll be able to get decent data, and calls from my house in Visalia, and not have to rely on my AirRave, those 3 little beeps annoy me whenever I answer a call or make a call.

Every coverage map I see shows I have good reception but in actuality I'm still getting maybe 1 bar at the best, and even on roaming (with cricket none the less) I have 2 bars and the quality is garbage and will drop my calls every time.

Sounds like you are on the north side of Visalia.

WOW! Yeah, it would be great to know what the source of the holdup is, They have been working on the tower nearest my house fairly regularly (and twice in the last week). They have left a lift there for the past two weeks as though they are waiting for something. They are up there a lot yet no real change in service (although it is way more consistent than it was early last summer and before). There used to be fairly regular periods of 1x coverage with really slow 3g in between but lately it's been pretty steady and near 1mbs most of the day. It switched over to EHRPD as have the one's I connect to in Fresno regularly. So I've seen some progress but still no LTE. 

Actually I live off walnut and Pinkham, and it's a deadzone, by rite aid I get like 2 bars at best and it just gets worse the closer to my house I go, walmart I get 3-4 bars and ok data inside.  I don't care about LTE at this time since I have wifi but decent phone coverage would be sweet...

In Kerman.....ATT built a 3rd tower from scratch and is launching LTE and it took all of 3-4 weeks past the permit stage.  This is what makes this hurry up and wait so frustrating for me.  And Sprint only has a single tower here at 110% capacity at 9:30pm (that has NV panels airborne) and an old IDEN tower that they have done nothing with.   Like, TechEric, I have data through Wifi in most of the spots I stop at, its the phone coverage I need. 

In Kerman.....ATT built a 3rd tower from scratch and is launching LTE and it took all of 3-4 weeks past the permit stage. This is what makes this hurry up and wait so frustrating for me. And Sprint only has a single tower here at 110% capacity at 9:30pm (that has NV panels airborne) and an old IDEN tower that they have done nothing with. Like, TechEric, I have data through Wifi in most of the spots I stop at, its the phone coverage I need.

Is Kerman an at&t landline service area?

• Like 1

Actually I live off walnut and Pinkham, and it's a deadzone, by rite aid I get like 2 bars at best and it just gets worse the closer to my house I go, walmart I get 3-4 bars and ok data inside. I don't care about LTE at this time since I have wifi but decent phone coverage would be sweet...

The Acequia site is broadcasting from the NV panels otherwise I wouldn't have 1x800 voice. I wonder why you still have little to no service at your house. But then again, I have the same 1x800 voice signal as my eHRPD signal, so maybe they have the downtilt exactly the same.