Network Vision/LTE - Kansas Market (including KC, Topeka, Wichita, St. Joseph)

Rickie546

Anyone get HD Voice working? The video sprint showed was pretty impressive and both my SO and I have compatible phones but have yet to experience HD Voice. Apparently there is an announcement coming as well ...soon.

It alive and well, but you have to have the right conditions to get it to work. Correct devices on both ends, and other things I'm not quite clear on. I haven't experienced it either, but I know others in the KC area have.

David,

I don't really know why I post in specific threads. It seems as if every time I have a question, it is you who answers. I thank you again kind sir.

After calling CS and following up with tweets yesterday, a response from @sprintcare confirmed an issue at the tower(s). They suggested giving them 24-72 hours to follow up on the issue. I tweeted back saying that I would follow up either way Friday or Monday.

My wife works at a TV station at SW Tfwy & 31st and I'm sure it's a tower issue since her Signal Check numbers check out fine here (and she used to get solid connectivity up to a few weeks ago) but now are completely in the crapper at work.

off topic... Do you work for a station in Springfield? If so, which one? I used to work TV in Springfield.

Thanks again for the help David.

David,

I don't really know why I post in specific threads. It seems as if every time I have a question, it is you who answers. I thank you again kind sir.

After calling CS and following up with tweets yesterday, a response from @sprintcare confirmed an issue at the tower(s). They suggested giving them 24-72 hours to follow up on the issue. I tweeted back saying that I would follow up either way Friday or Monday.

My wife works at a TV station at SW Tfwy & 31st and I'm sure it's a tower issue since her Signal Check numbers check out fine here (and she used to get solid connectivity up to a few weeks ago) but now are completely in the crapper at work.

off topic... Do you work for a station in Springfield? If so, which one? I used to work TV in Springfield.

Thanks again for the help David.

She works at Fox 4? That's cool!

I work at the new Fox station in Springfield (KRBK). Took over when the old Fox lost the affiliate (KSFX now KOZL).

Back on topic, lol, Band 26 and Band 41 is now live all over the city, so you might consider an upgrade to a tri-band device if that's an option.

He works for a Fox affiliate and so does your wife.  Maybe we should just call this thread the Fox den.

:P

AJ

• Like 2

Damn, David beat me to the punch, stole my thunder as I was typing.  I know my TV station geography.

AJ

• Like 1

AJ... always appreciate your sense of humor, candor, and knowledge.

David, that's cool about KRBK. I wasn't sure what was going to happen with a FOX affiliate in Springfield after KOLR (sold?/lost?) their affiliation. I was a director at KSPR many moons ago. When visitng the folks in Bolivar, I'll have to check out a newscast.

As far as upgrading goes, I'm just biding my time with my LTEvo. It's pretty darn lousy at reception. I have an eye disease that took me out of the TV business and it's getting worse. I really need a HUGE (triband) device (*insert* joke here AJ) My hopes are that Sprint will carry the LG G Pro 2. If that doesn't happen, I suppose it will either be a G2/G3 or N5 (gotta get the huge screen though) Thought about waiting for the Note 4, but I'm not a fan of Samsung, TouchWiz, or Knox.

Thanks again for sharing. I'll keep on Sprint about their tower issues near WDAF. A phone that can't be used by the Mrs. at work (she's a producer) gives me grief.

Kind regards,

Jeff Skidmore

ps... does anyone know why I cannot quote a post? Anytime I try to quote, I only get the "reply" box served up.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been connecting to band 26 on my g2 in Wichita quite a bit but not really getting much better service. Hopefully they're just not all lit up yet. Not impressed with the g2 reception either. Anyone else in Wichita with opinions?

I've been connecting to band 26 on my g2 in Wichita quite a bit but not really getting much better service. Hopefully they're just not all lit up yet. Not impressed with the g2 reception either. Anyone else in Wichita with opinions?

Not in Wichita, but from what I've heard, the G2 doesn't have the greatest reception for B26, apparently the N5 gets B25 in areas where the G2 is already falling back to B26.

Also, it's possible the network hasn't been optimized yet. Activations go much faster than optimizations. It can be up to 6 months between activation and optimization.

David, that's cool about KRBK. I wasn't sure what was going to happen with a FOX affiliate in Springfield after KOLR (sold?/lost?) their affiliation. I was a director at KSPR many moons ago. When visitng the folks in Bolivar, I'll have to check out a newscast.

As far as upgrading goes, I'm just biding my time with my LTEvo. It's pretty darn lousy at reception. I have an eye disease that took me out of the TV business and it's getting worse. I really need a HUGE (triband) device (*insert* joke here AJ) My hopes are that Sprint will carry the LG G Pro 2. If that doesn't happen, I suppose it will either be a G2/G3 or N5 (gotta get the huge screen though) Thought about waiting for the Note 4, but I'm not a fan of Samsung, TouchWiz, or Knox.

Thanks again for sharing. I'll keep on Sprint about their tower issues near WDAF. A phone that can't be used by the Mrs. at work (she's a producer) gives me grief.

Kind regards,

Jeff Skidmore

ps... does anyone know why I cannot quote a post? Anytime I try to quote, I only get the "reply" box served up.

Well, we finally have a newscast! Barely two weeks old, it's only 10 minutes at 9pm, but it's a start. Considering we only have 4 people, it's amazing we have a show at all. Being independently owned doesn't always have perks... -_-

The HTC One M8 has a pretty big screen if you're looking to upgrade. And the reception is much better than the EVO LTE, that's for sure. Reports in the GS5 thread seem to indicate that it's reception is sub-par, so I don't know if I would go that route.

Otherwise you could get a Galaxy Mega and root it. I don't blame you for not liking touchwiz haha.

Still having problems quoting a post?

• Like 2

Well, we finally have a newscast! Barely two weeks old, it's only 10 minutes at 9pm, but it's a start. Considering we only have 4 people, it's amazing we have a show at all. Being independently owned doesn't always have perks... -_-

The HTC One M8 has a pretty big screen if you're looking to upgrade. And the reception is much better than the EVO LTE, that's for sure. Reports in the GS5 thread seem to indicate that it's reception is sub-par, so I don't know if I would go that route.

Otherwise you could get a Galaxy Mega and root it. I don't blame you for not liking touchwiz haha.

Still having problems quoting a post?

Dave,

Wow, a 10 minute newscast. I guess we'll still call it a newscast and not a cut-in. But jeez, with 4 people that's very impressive!

Yes, still having the issue with quoting. I'll try a different browser on the laptop at home. It could certainly be the browser we have to use @ work.

As far as phones go... I'm considering the M8, but it's just not enough screen for me. It's looking like the G3 may have a 5.5", which would work. With each passing day, I'm thinking that the G Pro 2 will not be coming to Sprint. But time will tell.

. . .

I'll keep on Sprint about their tower issues near WDAF. A phone that can't be used by the Mrs. at work (she's a producer) gives me grief.

And to think, they call it "Signal Hill."  A bit ironic?

AJ

• Like 1

And to think, they call it "Signal Hill." A bit ironic?

AJ

Yet, iconic. ;)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

There's only really one tower my Nexus 5 doesn't like to connect to on B26 (probably not up yet) but B25 gets teriffic speeds. It's between Woodlawn and Oliver on Central (tower 89 according to N5 LTE engineering screen). I get great B26 coverage across town otherwise so it may be your phone. I'm not sure if you can flash a different modem though for the G2 but the different modems for the N5 make a huge difference (.23 comes with Android 4.4.2 and sucks but .15 or .17 are great).

• 1 month later...

Got the new 4.4.3 KTU84M update today and lo and behold I now get band 26 in this old house where even wifi has a hard time traversing. Getting about 7-8mbps indoors vs 1-2 previously. 

Anyone seeing a "sun" burst icon they have been talking about on the other forums? I have seen none, though haven't latched on to the succulent teet of band 41.

• Like 1

Got the new 4.4.3 KTU84M update today and lo and behold I now get band 26 in this old house where even wifi has a hard time traversing. Getting about 7-8mbps indoors vs 1-2 previously. 

Anyone seeing a "sun" burst icon they have been talking about on the other forums? I have seen none, though haven't latched on to the succulent teet of band 41.

The Nexus 5 being pure Google won't have the 'Spark' icon thankfully. 

I saw Band 41 for the first time in Shawnee a couple weeks ago and hit 46Mbps download.

Interestingly most of kcmo and kck is under the sprint spark Turbo (hatched pattern) in the sprint coverage map. Though Turbo is not what we seem to be getting. Poked my head outdoors in this rain, alas the band 41 gods have forsaken waldo area.

Interestingly most of kcmo and kck is under the sprint spark Turbo (hatched pattern) in the sprint coverage map. Though Turbo is not what we seem to be getting. Poked my head outdoors in this rain, alas the band 41 gods have forsaken waldo area.

The Sprint maps are not the most reliable. In our sponsor section we have maps showing which towers have actually been upgraded. They are in the premier section though.

Finally got band 41 driving around KCK near I-435 and stateline. However, even though DEBUG says I am on band 41, signal check says I am band 26. Seems to be a bug with the latest version of signal check and 4.4.3. I notified blue, let's see what happens.

Used the new spark service indoors at several locations and this whole spark thing really boils down to being able to get decent (say 6-7 mbps) speeds indoors which is big c/w what we had previously. It does seem that I seem to wander to band 25 taking a few steps oddly enough. 

Finally got band 41 driving around KCK near I-435 and stateline. However, even though DEBUG says I am on band 41, signal check says I am band 26. Seems to be a bug with the latest version of signal check and 4.4.3. I notified blue, let's see what happens.

Used the new spark service indoors at several locations and this whole spark thing really boils down to being able to get decent (say 6-7 mbps) speeds indoors which is big c/w what we had previously. It does seem that I seem to wander to band 25 taking a few steps oddly enough.

On Signal Check, if you see a GCI starting with 04C that's either B25 or B26.

If you see a GCI starting with 029, that's B41.

That only works in the Kansas market, it's not the same once you get to Columbia and switch to the Missouri market.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...