Network Vision/LTE - Kansas Market (including KC, Topeka, Wichita, St. Joseph)

Rickie546

I was seeing some weird stuff of my drive back from Denver to KC. In Salina, picked up a site in Junction City, in Junction City, picked up a site in Topeka. In Topeka, picked up a site in KCMO. Didn't make much sense. It would never stay connected to 800 long before jumping back to PCS.

Sent from my HTC ONE

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming from the screenie below, my handset will use 1x 800 for voice and lte for data (don't think voice over LTE is active yet, yes?):

post-13073-0-76600800-1379255421_thumb.jpg

This is in KCMO in an old house with terrible RF. Heck I barely get good wifi from one room to another. My wired connection is much better, OTOH: 

2887449909.png

Assuming from the screenie below, my handset will use 1x 800 for voice and lte for data (don't think voice over LTE is active yet, yes?):

attachicon.gifsignalchk.jpg

This is in KCMO in an old house with terrible RF. Heck I barely get good wifi from one room to another. My wired connection is much better, OTOH: 

2887449909.png

:o

So that's what Google Fiber looks like. Can I borrow some of your bandwidth? :P

To your question, yes it will use 1x 800 for voice and text and LTE for data. Though I always use WiFi calling when I am home, works better than a low 1x signal. 

:o

So that's what Google Fiber looks like. Can I borrow some of your bandwidth? :P

To your question, yes it will use 1x 800 for voice and text and LTE for data. Though I always use WiFi calling when I am home, works better than a low 1x signal. 

What app do you use for wifi calling. I have ooma at home which works well with google fiber, but I imagine it would be helpful to have wifi calling right from the cell.

Saw a crew at the tower on 135th and Nall.  Stopped in to ask who they were working for, they said Sprint.  Hope that means they are finally upgrading this site to LTE. 

You can barely see the ropes on the right side of the picture.

Ew0fONGl.jpg

Saw a crew at the tower on 135th and Nall.  Stopped in to ask who they were working for, they said Sprint.  Hope that means they are finally upgrading this site to LTE. 

Ew0fONGl.jpg

Wow this site has already been accepted.

Wow this site has already been accepted.

Well, hot damn, now the McMansions in LionsGate can finally get LTE.

AJ

• Like 1

Ew0fONGl.jpg

which carrier is the lowest one on that pole? Like 15 ft below all the others.

which carrier is the lowest one on that pole? Like 15 ft below all the others.

Clearwire.

AJ

That was my guess. Thanks. Do you know what is the reason they're so far down? Is that WiMax or LTE?

Could be both. Can't really tell without getting a good look at the RRU behind the antenna. Clear should have LTE running over most of the city by the end of the year.

Ew0fONGl.jpg

It wasn't upgraded til now? Wow. Looks like they removed the legacy antennas as well unless I'm missing something.

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated the radios & firmware in my Evo4GLTE.  Previously at home (1/2 mile north of Colbern Road & 7 Highway) I was getting anywhere from 1.1 mbps upto 2.5 on LTE.  After the update I'm getting anywhere from 7.0 upto close to 20. 

This can't be just from updating the radios and firmware bits can it?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.

I just updated the radios & firmware in my Evo4GLTE.  Previously at home (1/2 mile north of Colbern Road & 7 Highway) I was getting anywhere from 1.1 mbps upto 2.5 on LTE.  After the update I'm getting anywhere from 7.0 upto close to 20. 

This can't be just from updating the radios and firmware bits can it?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.

The update probably helped, but it's also possible that the site just a few blocks from you finally went online. Speeds <5Mbps are usually indicative of a weak signal, speeds >15Mpbs usually mean a strong signal. The only way you see that much change is if a site closer to you went live, which there is a site that is now LTE very close to you.

• Like 1

The update probably helped, but it's also possible that the site just a few blocks from you finally went online. Speeds <5Mbps are usually indicative of a weak signal, speeds >15Mpbs usually mean a strong signal. The only way you see that much change is if a site closer to you went live, which there is a site that is now LTE very close to you.

Interesting.  I wonder if it's that tower on Cowher Road.  It's about 3-4 hundred yards away.  I'm a new member here and really enjoying the great information.  I appreciate your response.