Network Vision/LTE - Kansas Market (including KC, Topeka, Wichita, St. Joseph)

Rickie546

Finally got my MiFi 500 upgrade from freedompop.  It's a completely Sprint branded device and acts just like one.  Display says "Sprint Spark LTE" even though Topeka isn't on the coverage map as Spark.  But it's 800mhz LTE service!

Everything is Spark! Ha, one of the unfortunate moves Sprint made.

How is service in Topeka? I haven't made it out that way in some time, in fact last time I was out there Band 26 hadn't been deployed yet.

Pretty decent, although I'm on FP so there appears to be throttling, but the ping is good.

Here's my debug, I think that channel number is 800mhz service?  When I had EVDO I think it was a similar number as well.

On that subject, I'm getting a public IP, but it appears even with DMZ I have no open ports.  Does sprint block all servers?

debug.txt

Edited by gunterm

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone in Wichita seeing any improvements. I'm back on my s3 since I broke my g2. Seriously considering a T-Mobile g2.

On a Uniband device, you'd go nuts on Sprint in Wichita. They already have both B25/B26 and B41 is being worked on now. You need a Sprint Triband device in a place like Wichita. Or you will go nuts and have to switch to someone else.

I should say I broke my g2 just a couple of weeks ago and I was never very happy. I know since my s3 is a single band I won't be getting as good of service. I was almost always on 800 LTE with my g2.

If you're not happy, then you should find someone who will.  Don't pay for a service you don't like.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place to post but Sprint data went down for a bit in Topeka last night and now band 26 is connecting on my nexus 5.   Hope it's not spark because it's 5Mbps down but it's better than yesterdays 1.5-2Mbps

Then again the better data speeds could just be because all the state employees are off today.

Not sure if this is the right place to post but Sprint data went down for a bit in Topeka last night and now band 26 is connecting on my nexus 5.   Hope it's not spark because it's 5Mbps down but it's better than yesterdays 1.5-2Mbps

Then again the better data speeds could just be because all the state employees are off today.

Band 26 is not Spark. If you see Band 41, that's Spark. It should be coming soon, but deployment is starting off very slow in the Kansas market. It should ramp up next year.

You should have had Band 26 since summer, even spring. It's been active in Topeka for quite some time. Have you not connected before?

Also, :welc: to S4GRU!

i'm pretty much a fanatic on this stuff but new to sprint since last winter.   I flashed the radio to pick up the extra bands a long time ago but this is the first time I've seen SignalCheck Pro show LTE 800 and B26.  I know I didnt get it back in May when I was messing with setting the priotities on the bands.     Up north was last night.   Downtown didnt show LTE800 till around 10am.   Wanamaker still didnt have it around noon.  I figure they might be doing it a tower at a time.    Could be wrong though,  I'm way more into Roms & Kernels but this site looks like a great place to learn about RRU's and Antennas.

I'm sure Topeka is pretty far down on the list but At&t seems to care even less (why I'm now with sprint)

Thanks for the welcome.  Hopefully I can help more than ask questions.

Edited by greper

i'm pretty much a fanatic on this stuff but new to sprint since last winter.   I flashed the radio to pick up the extra bands a long time ago but this is the first time I've seen SignalCheck Pro show LTE 800 and B26.  I know I didnt get it back in May when I was messing with setting the priotities on the bands.     Up north was last night.   Downtown didnt show LTE800 till around 10am.   Wanamaker still didnt have it around noon.  I figure they might be doing it a tower at a time.    Could be wrong though,  I'm way more into Roms & Kernels but this site looks like a great place to learn about RRU's and Antennas.

I'm sure Topeka is pretty far down on the list but At&t seems to care even less (why I'm now with sprint)

Thanks for the welcome.  Hopefully I can help more than ask questions.

Every site in Topeka has had Band 26 accepted and confirmed since spring. That's why I'm confused why you're just now seeing it.

Just fyi, priorities only affect the initial scan. Once you are on LTE, the priorities go out the window and the network controls which band you are on.

It's possible that while near Wanamaker your Band 25 signal was sufficient enough that you didn't get moved to Band 26.

• 2 weeks later...

Report it to Sprint! Can't do much to help you here.

Come on, David.  Get Chuck Norris on the hotline.  There is a Sprint "tower" down.

AJ

• Like 1

Apparently neither can Sprint. Sprint rep: "yeah we know, don't know when it'll get fixed." 

That is unfortunate.  But it may be due to a power, backhaul, or property owner issue beyond Sprint's control.

First world problems...

AJ

Apparently neither can Sprint. Sprint rep: "yeah we know, don't know when it'll get fixed." 

Make sure you have a ticket open.. If not it can just be another level 1 bs.  I had a site down for 6 weeks and nothing but level 1 bs.  It took upper management 1 day to fix a 6 week issue.

Make sure you have a ticket open.. If not it can just be another level 1 bs.  I had a site down for 6 weeks and nothing but level 1 bs.  It took upper management 1 day to fix a 6 week issue.

Spoke with sup, apparently the tower can't be repaired as there is asbestos that needs to be cleaned at the tower location which will be done by a third party. In the very least it would be 60 days or so. My contract is coming up for renewal. My sprint sero plan used to rock back when it was $30. Now paying $50/mos, especially with no sprint service (for the most part of the day when I am at work), I have to question what I am really paying for. I have been with sprint for over a decade and would like to continue, but not sure it is prudent to pay for service if there is no service.

You can always do a phone that's got WiFi calling in it! I got an inexpensive HTC handset that had WiFi calling and it makes a world of difference especially in a marginal area. This is the best deal with unlimited data from any carrier in my opinion.

• Like 1

You can always do a phone that's got WiFi calling in it! I got an inexpensive HTC handset that had WiFi calling and it makes a world of difference especially in a marginal area. This is the best deal with unlimited data from any carrier in my opinion.

The WiFi calling is great.  I now live 400 miles from Sprint service, and the WiFi calling works beautifully.

• Like 1

I noticed you have N5 in your device list. How did you get wifi calling working on lollipop?

I have not upgraded to Lollipop yet on my N5.  I use Sprint WiFi calling on my Sharp Aquos Crystal.

I believe Lollipop doesn't support the Sprint WiFi calling feature set yet but I hope the Nexus line of phones support it sometime in the horizon. I know there's been times I get decent WiFi but not good CDMA or LTE signal and that feature would have come in handy.

Those with Spark devices should be on the lookout for new B41 sites! I found 5 live 8T8R B41 sites around the KC area on Friday, including one downtown, one by Longview lake, and several along K7. 

If you have Signal Check or LTE Discovery, look for GCIs starting with 04D. 

• Like 2