Network Vision/LTE - Kansas Market (including KC, Topeka, Wichita, St. Joseph)

Rickie546

Sprint is never going to turn it around they say. Sprint is going to be slow forever they say. 2nd city this month that beat T-Mobile in speed on root metrics.

What city is this?

Wichita

Rickie

sent on my LG G2

Sweet!  This is a great sign of network improvements that required time and planning which this site has been great at describing so thanks to Robert and the gang!  I just can't wait until LTE-A devices get enabled and future deployments!  Go Sprint!  Sprint did say it would take some patience to see the true network improvements and it is happening!  

• Like 1

Not sure if this counts as Network Vision, but it is market-specific.... And great news!

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/play-ball.htm

"On-air just in time for Opening Day on April 6, Sprint’s new Distributed Antenna System (DAS) will enable fans to better capture and share some of this year’s biggest moments in baseball. With a seating capacity of 37,903, Sprint – a longtime sponsor of the hometown Royals – is the only wireless carrier serving The K with a DAS. Sprint’s extensive system provides voice and data service throughout the entire stadium utilizing all three of Sprint’s spectrum bands (1.9GHz, 2.5GHz and 800MHz)."

Any KC baseball fans here?

• Like 5

Not sure if this counts as Network Vision, but it is market-specific.... And great news!

"On-air just in time for Opening Day on April 6, Sprint’s new Distributed Antenna System (DAS) will enable fans to better capture and share some of this year’s biggest moments in baseball. With a seating capacity of 37,903, Sprint – a longtime sponsor of the hometown Royals – is the only wireless carrier serving The K with a DAS. Sprint’s extensive system provides voice and data service throughout the entire stadium utilizing all three of Sprint’s spectrum bands (1.9GHz, 2.5GHz and 800MHz)."

I'll be there for at least one of the games this year. Hopefully soon!
  • Like 1

I'm a huge baseball fan, and Kauffman looks like a beautiful park that I need to visit. Maybe I'll make the drive down this summer and watch my Sox beat, er, play the Royals. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 1

My question, though, is how is this DAS different from the Sprint site that has long been at Kauffman Stadium?  Coverage has never been a problem; only capacity has been an issue.  And a second Sprint band 41 carrier was already on air at the World Series last fall.  So, I wonder if this release is not really news, just good PR.

AJ

• Like 2

Yes.

Sweet. Thanks for the tip.

Things have been better since they lit up B41 in the area. Though I do hope they do this for Arrowhead (right next door) before this fall. The 75,000 at a Chiefs game sets up a mobile black hole for non-Spark Sprint users.

Things have been better since they lit up B41 in the area. Though I do hope they do this for Arrowhead (right next door) before this fall. The 75,000 at a Chiefs game sets up a mobile black hole for non-Spark Sprint users.

Arrowhead Stadium may never be great.  There are simply too many Sprint employees, let alone just run of the mill Sprint subs at Chiefs games.  The problem is massive market share among that demographic in Kansas City.

Regardless, I would not count on the macro network anymore anyway.  The Chiefs have installed an enterprise grade Wi-Fi network that is pretty solid.  It does the heavy data lifting now.

AJ

• Like 1

My question, though, is how is this DAS different from the Sprint site that has long been at Kauffman Stadium? Coverage has never been a problem; only capacity has been an issue. And a second Sprint band 41 carrier was already on air at the World Series last fall. So, I wonder if this release is not really news, just good PR.

AJ

It previously was Band 25 LTE only. It sounds like they upgraded it to B26 and B41. That second carrier from the clear site across the street was only active during the world series as far as I've been able to tell. Haven't seen it since.
  • Like 1

It previously was Band 25 LTE only. It sounds like they upgraded it to B26 and B41. That second carrier from the clear site across the street was only active during the world series as far as I've been able to tell. Haven't seen it since.

You wonder if it needs the second carrier from the clear site now?? The das will be doing most of the work now, instead of the macro site, at least until playoffs. I know a lot of people don't tail gate as much for the baseball as they do for the football lol

You wonder if it needs the second carrier from the clear site now?? The das will be doing most of the work now, instead of the macro site, at least until playoffs. I know a lot of people don't tail gate as much for the baseball as they do for the football lol

They had to shut down wimax on the clear equipment to fire up the second band 41 carrier.

Wimax is not slated to decommission until late this year so they can't turn off wimax.

Sent from my Nexus 5

They had to shut down wimax on the clear equipment to fire up the second band 41 carrier.

Wimax is not slated to decommission until late this year so they can't turn off wimax.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Maybe not at the stadium, but we have at least 4 Clear sites in Olathe that are broadcasting a second B41 carrier. So, at least in spots they are shutting down WiMax.

My question, though, is how is this DAS different from the Sprint site that has long been at Kauffman Stadium?  Coverage has never been a problem; only capacity has been an issue.  And a second Sprint band 41 carrier was already on air at the World Series last fall.  So, I wonder if this release is not really news, just good PR.

AJ

There is a site in Kauffman or around it? The reason I ask is that a lot of ballparks have a DAS but not every carrier is on it. Yankee Stadium is a perfect example where Verizon is on the DAS, and I believe AT&T is as well, but Sprint has to rely on "decent" macro coverage.

There is a site in Kauffman or around it?

There are macro sites surrounding the Truman Sports Complex, but this site is somewhere in or on Kauffman Stadium.  I cannot ever recall spotting the antennas, though.  However, the site has been on our maps for years.

AJ

• Like 1

There are macro sites surrounding the Truman Sports Complex, but this site is somewhere in or on Kauffman Stadium.  I cannot ever recall spotting the antennas, though.  However, the site has been on our maps for years.

AJ

Ok makes sense.

Ok makes sense.

There are antennas inside the stadium. There is a macro Clear/Sprint site across the street, facing into the stadium. The DAS in the stadium was previously PCS only. Sounds like they've upgraded it to support all bands.

I am at the Royals game tonight. I have been parked on band 41 inside and outside the stadium. Add that with WiFi, I have my phone back at the K!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am at the Royals game tonight. I have been parked on band 41 inside and outside the stadium. Add that with WiFi, I have my phone back at the K!!

What kind of speeds are you seeing?

Did you happen to notice if the second B41 carrier was available again? Last time I was in the area I didn't see it.

No, I didn't think about running any speed tests. But there were 23K fans at the ball park, and there was no lag when using the data on my phone (this is also true with Sporting KC games where they are always sold out with over 18K fans). This included inside the park, and in the parking lot. And I don't know how to check for additional carrier information on the iPhone 6 [emoji53] but I will be going to a game at the end of the month, so I will message you on how to do that. Unless someone else beats me to it. BTW, Go Royals!! Fun baseball so far!!

And I don't know how to check for additional carrier information on the iPhone 6

Dial *3001#12345#* then click "Serving Cell Info."

BTW, Go Royals!! Fun baseball so far!!

[emoji107]????

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Whoa now. No need for that.... You don't see any Royals invading your Chicago threads! Ha

Not as bad as the Giants fan wearing his World Series jersey last night to the game......he was given proper goodbye.