Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7531/qualcomm-announces-fourth-gen-cat-6-lte-modem-mdm9x35

I suspect Apple will support more bands and bring TD-LTE b41 with the iPhone 6 at the latest, though Neal Gompa has suspected that band 41 support could be already enabled in the hardware for A1530 and A1529 which is what may be China Mobile's model eventually.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/166356-iphone-5s-and-5c-the-best-support-for-3g-and-4g-lte-networks-worldwide

I have long suspected that if China Mobile and Apple reach an accord, that a new A1530a and A1529a could be sold on China Mobile, SoftBank, and Sprint, but that is pure speculation on my part. Sprint's current model supports no TD-LTE.

Indeed. I'm not a big fan of the android os. I'm giving it 9 months to see Sprint's sense of urgency in Chicago. I need to see LTE 800 rapidly deployed and to see if it fixes any issues with data speeds, or if I'll even be able to use it. I hope it doesn't end up being like 1x800 voice on the iPhone where it's only used when there is 0 pcs signal. I also want to see them not put the USCC spectrum on the back burner and release some kind of statement like: "USCC spectrum will be implemented within the next 2 years." See ya. I'm impressed with the grand scale of network vision, but on the other hand, I really don't care about the rest of the country. I want to see my home area working as it should. I just want LTE speeds greater than 1mbps, and right now, I only get that near my home. So yes, I'm loyal to apple, and at the moment, loyal to Sprint. We shall see where Sprint stands in Chicago in 9 months.

lol-bye.gif

The acquired USCC PCS B block spectrum is 20 MHz -- also expressed as 10 MHz FDD.  That will not be used in full for LTE with two additional 5 MHz FDD carriers.  No, it will be one additional LTE carrier, the rest left for CDMA2000 for now.

AJ

Source? I'd love for even one additional PCS LTE carrier to be deployed, let alone two, but given that Sprint has yet to do that anywhere, I can't allow myself to get too optimistic without reason.

So rumors heard here in Iowa was that 800LTE was going to start being deployed in December '13.  Have you guys seen any deplo yet in Chicagoland?  From my Nov trip it seemed that while signal was pretty great all around the City the bandwith was pretty full - even into way early morning hours. I would think if 800LTE or Bandclass 41 would hurry up that would change a bunch.

With all the "hype" in the press releases a week or two ago you would think all this is live today in Chgo.

Their exact locations are available to premier sponsors. Depending on Sprint's plans for USCC's spectrum, and how fast they can deploy it, it may relieve the data crunch downtown before the other two bands do.

Edited by lilotimz

Source? I'd love for even one additional PCS LTE carrier to be deployed, let alone two, but given that Sprint has yet to do that anywhere, I can't allow myself to get too optimistic without reason.

Their exact locations are available to premier sponsors. Depending on Sprint's plans for USCC's spectrum, and how fast they can deploy it, it may relieve the data crunch downtown before the other two bands do.

gn,  I second your motion on that add'l pcs carrier !

I can't wait to see what that does for the pipes being full in Chgo and other places like that when they start deploying and turning on LTE across 800 then 2.5.  Really if you stop and think about how much is avail per sector now, that could really get chewed up fairly quick - esp if people are streaming some video, uploading some pics and other hogs like that taking place.

Well, wouldn't that be fantastic. A spark update to "enable" a Frankenstein band 41 configuration on the iPhone 5s. That would be pretty awesome if it's possible.

It would be more or less a mid-cycle refresh like what Apple did for T-Mobile, Apple added AWS UMTS/HSPA to the iPhone 5 A1428 for better T-Mobile network capability in the areas where there's no PCS UMTS. The new model was A1428a.

The scale of economy on switching to a CDMA enabled A1530 would be more powerful than what Apple got updating mid-cycle for T-Mobile which also included AT&T and Canadian handsets.

This is not the only band Apple left off. I heard Robelus was steamed no Band 7 support was on A1533, the version they got.

• Like 1

It would be more or less a mid-cycle refresh like what Apple did for T-Mobile, Apple added AWS UMTS/HSPA to the iPhone 5 A1428 for better T-Mobile network capability in the areas where there's no PCS UMTS. The new model was A1428a.

Naw, with iPhone 5, that was nothing more than a firmware change and a Class II filing with the FCC.  All of the W-CDMA 2100+1700 hardware was already inside -- it just had to be unleashed from AT&T "cock blocking."

Adding TD-LTE would be different, as it would almost certainly require hardware changes.  In other words, do not expect it.

AJ

Naw, with iPhone 5, that was nothing more than a firmware change and a Class II filing with the FCC. All of the W-CDMA 2100+1700 hardware was already inside -- it just had to be unleashed from AT&T "cock blocking."

Adding TD-LTE would be different, as it would almost certainly require hardware changes. In other words, do not expect it.

AJ

It still required new hardware to go to the consumer, even though it was the same UE at the core. Firmware couldn't be enabled with a software update.

I am going to guess that a similar issue exists with B41 on 1530, based on what Neal wrote. However, what I don't know is if 1530 can have support 25 or 26, as well as CDMA bands, without major hardware modifications as opposed to shipping a new version with modified firmware. If I knew that I'd have the major clues to make a final conclusion.

• 2 weeks later...

How's everyone doing in the Chicago market? LTE speeds on band 25 improved yet?

Negative. Still slow in the city. I've learned to deal with it by not using my phone as much. It'll get better with 26/41 and (hopefully) a prompt implementation of USCC spectrum.

Negative. Still slow in the city. I've learned to deal with it by not using my phone as much. It'll get better with 26/41 and (hopefully) a prompt implementation of USCC spectrum.

What was the final date for USCC shutting down in Chicago, mid January?

I agree I am more interested to see what Sprint can do with the USCC spectrum than Sprint Spark.  I have been very loud about my doubts there will be both enough deployment of and enough users with tri band LTE to make a significant (demand offloading) difference.  To me, that USCC spectrum is more important if it is to be used to provide more airwave spectrum to the current LTE on 1900 PCS.

So the iphone 5 supports 800 mhz lte? are u sure?

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that thread volumes are directly proportional to the number of problems (and complaints) folks have which is in turn inversely proportional to progress in said market. Thus, a quiet thread means things are going swimmingly :-) At least that's my theory :-D

• Like 2

What has happened to this thread?! 

I have noticed much improved SNR values in the loop, in most places. Anybody concur?

Everyone's fingers have been too frozen to type. ;)

Seriously, I go downtown only occasionally, and haven't been in the city since just before New Year.  Just before Christmas, I was south of the Loop (in a shopping center near Roosevelt & Wells) and got good LTE signal strength, good speeds, and good SNR values, even inside most of the stores.  Just before New Year's, I was at State St. & the River, and got similar results.  On both trips, I monitored connections all the way in from about Elgin with my Zing hotspot, and was getting Band 41 LTE almost all the way, with very good Band 25 where there was no Band 41. (I was rather surprised at how comprehensive the Band 41 coverage was).  Where I wanted data (including inside the House of Blues), I had no connection or speed problems.  Importantly, both trips were in the late afternoon/evening, so I realize that they may not be representative of weekdays.

• Like 3

IF I wear in Chicago I would check for a second PCS LTE carrier on PCS B block.

And how would one go about doing this with just their handset? Wouldn't an additional carrier mean better speeds? If anything, speeds are the same to worse.

I've noticed that thread volumes are directly proportional to the number of problems (and complaints) folks have which is in turn inversely proportional to progress in said market. Thus, a quiet thread means things are going swimmingly :-) At least that's my theory :-D

Or in the case of our market members, we're just tired of complaining to a brick wall, so we stopped, and just learned to deal with it.

• Like 1

And how would one go about doing this with just their handset? Wouldn't an additional carrier mean better speeds? If anything, speeds are the same to worse.

Yes, this would effectively double capacity. two 5x5 carriers.

Not correct in all cases. One market thread hasn't had a post in almost a month, down from 30 or so a day 6 months ago. Work has stopped and people got tired of bitching about dead LTE so no posting has been going on.

• Like 1