Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

FCC Auction 96 does not start until this Wednesday 1/22. It could go quickly, or it could run for several days, even weeks. If members would like to follow the rounds of bidding, I can show everyone how.

AJ

What of importance to Sprint users is up for action in this round?

What of importance to Sprint users is up for action in this round?

I thought it was clear that you were asking about the PCS/AWS-2 H block.

AJ

FCC Auction 96 does not start until this Wednesday 1/22. It could go quickly, or it could run for several days, even weeks. If members would like to follow the rounds of bidding, I can show everyone how.

AJ

I would love for you to have an analysis thread with a daily update, if possible. I think many of us would like to see that and follow along. :fingers:

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I thought it was clear that you were asking about the PCS/AWS-2 H block.

AJ

What, that article said the auction for H block of PCS was Jan 14th, so I assume it's over with.  I'm asking what of importance is up for auction at this upcoming one you speak of, Auction 96.

What, that article said the auction for H block of PCS was Jan 14th, so I assume it's over with.  I'm asking what of importance is up for auction at this upcoming one you speak of, Auction 96.

Honestly, you are being dense. Put two and two together. Auction 96 is the H block. You have the wrong date. It is not as if the FCC runs auctions every week. And they are not completed as quickly as you may think.

AJ

• Like 1

He doesn't even know what band he was on. He just saw a Spark icon, which doesn't mean anything, as we know. He is just here to bitch.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

It's been a few months since I have been on the board, so I am a bit rusty at this stuff again. What is the best way to see which LTE band I am on? I just took delivery of a Nexus 5 (32GB) from Play and activated it this morning. 

Edited by Bird_Chicago

It's been a few months since I have been on the board, so I am a bit rusty at this stuff again. What is the best way to see which LTE band I am on? I just took delivery of a Nexus 5 (32GB) from Play and activated it this morning.

You'll probably have to head over to our nexus 5 thread and read up. That device is not yet spark compatible. It has the hardware, but has not been software enabled yet by Sprint. Supposed to be sometime this quarter. I believe you can manually enable bands 26/41 by obtaining your MSL from Sprint support.

You'll probably have to head over to our nexus 5 thread and read up. That device is not yet spark compatible. It has the hardware, but has not been software enabled yet by Sprint. Supposed to be sometime this quarter. I believe you can manually enable bands 26/41 by obtaining your MSL from Sprint support.

FYI Manually enabling the bands hasn't worked for anyone except a small few, AFIK.

FYI Manually enabling the bands hasn't worked for anyone except a small few, AFIK.

Well, that's even worse. It's a shame Sprint is taking their sweet time, or google, or whoever is in charge of that. It's such a nice phone, and it almost has me leaving my iOS devotion so that I can enjoy 41 in and around the city.

Can anyone remind me again what it means when a site goes from the red label of 3G only to the teal lablel of 3G/800?  Does that mean the tower received its hardware upgrades, but is waiting for backhaul before going LTE active?  I noticed the two West Loop towers recently went teal from red, still 3G, but I can't remember what this transition means for the prognosis of getting LTE soon.

Can anyone remind me again what it means when a site goes from the red label of 3G only to the teal lablel of 3G/800?  Does that mean the tower received its hardware upgrades, but is waiting for backhaul before going LTE active?  I noticed the two West Loop towers recently went teal from red, still 3G, but I can't remember what this transition means for the prognosis of getting LTE soon.

Just means 1x800 is accepted, If im not mistaken, there was a big backlog of accepted 1x800 sites that Robert just came around to updating since he sorted out a way to automate the updates.

CRAZY!!!!  :mad2:

• Chicago – 508 updates (5 LTE, 487 CDMA 800, 2 new 3G/800 sites, 2 new 3G/800/LTE sites, 1 iDEN Conversion) 
  • Like 2

Just means 1x800 is accepted, If im not mistaken, there was a big backlog of accepted 1x800 sites that Robert just came around to updating since he sorted out a way to automate the updates.

CRAZY!!!!  :mad2:

• Chicago – 508 updates (5 LTE, 487 CDMA 800, 2 new 3G/800 sites, 2 new 3G/800/LTE sites, 1 iDEN Conversion) 

What is the difference between CDMA 800 and 3G/800?

What is the difference between CDMA 800 and 3G/800?

CDMA 800=Just Voice accepted

3G/800=Data and Voice accepted

But as far as I know, most CDMA 800 sites already have 3G enabled, and they usually turn on 800 afterwards in clusters to avoid potential issues with legacy hardware.

CDMA 800=Just Voice accepted

3G/800=Data and Voice accepted

But as far as I know, most CDMA 800 sites already have 3G enabled, and they usually turn on 800 afterwards in clusters to avoid potential issues with legacy hardware.

So today with this huge takeover of Green 3G/800/4G pins that means most Chicago sites are now operating their voice on 1x800, instead of those Yellow 3G/4G or Purple 4G pins that provided voice on CDMA 1900?

So today with this huge takeover of Green 3G/800/4G pins that means most Chicago sites are now operating their voice on 1x800, instead of those Yellow 3G/4G or Purple 4G pins that provided voice on CDMA 1900?

Correct, also alot of sites probably got eCSFB updates as well. But again, as I mentioned before, Robert was a bit behind on the 1x800 acceptances. So only he can answer you how long ago these updates were actually made. (I think as far back as October if im not mistaken) 

Correct, also alot of sites probably got eCSFB updates as well. But again, as I mentioned before, Robert was a bit behind on the 1x800 acceptances. So only he can answer you how long ago these updates were actually made. (I think as far back as October if im not mistaken) 

Much clearer now, thanks for the clarifications.

Not exactly. Green pins (now including almost all of Chicagoland) mean that the site is broadcasting 800 voice, 1900 CDMA voice and data, and 1900 LTE. Most likely, you will be on 800 voice if your handset supports it, but the network can put you on 1900 voice anytime it wants.

• Like 1

Voice coverage is better in Chicago on Sprint than any other carrier. This just further proves it. My calls are always crystal clear, never drop, and can be made almost anywhere, indoors or out.

Not exactly. Green pins (now including almost all of Chicagoland) mean that the site is broadcasting 800 voice, 1900 CDMA voice and data, and 1900 LTE. Most likely, you will be on 800 voice if your handset supports it, but the network can put you on 1900 voice anytime it wants.

Yes of course, not excluding 1900 on voice, they will compliment each other..

Voice coverage is better in Chicago on Sprint than any other carrier. This just further proves it. My calls are always crystal clear, never drop, and can be made almost anywhere, indoors or out.

Really, I still have tons of problems downtown indoors.  My office @ Ogilvie my calls drop and fade in/out all the time.

Really, I still have tons of problems downtown indoors. My office @ Ogilvie my calls drop and fade in/out all the time.

Not sure what handset you have, but maybe loading digiblur's prl to force 800 might help that. If your signal is weak, it should be grabbing it automatically.

I have quite enjoyed HD voice when talking to other Evo LTE or GSIII users in Chicago.

Maybe that's why my calls are clear to my wife. We both have a 5s. Not sure if it's hd capable, but I'm assuming it is.