Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I was in the Upper West Side around 83rd Street at a friend's house for a get together and was surprised at how well Band 25 was running. On a -97dbm signal, I was pulling speeds of up to 19Mbps down. Even on a -114dbm signal, I was pulling 7Mbps. I think that the site density has something to do with it, alongside the sites not being that burdened. The pings were 36ms on average.

I wish it was like that in Brooklyn. There are certain areas where Sprint's network isn't the strongest until I get on Band 41. My speeds in home are around 3Mbps on a -109 signal now. On a -87 signal, I have peak speeds of 7Mbps. That's in the CHNHD. (Crown Heights North Historic District)

its the same where I am in the Bronx. I have no main tower that is pointed my way. On my one max I have a range from 93 to 107 unburdened that give me about 7mbps but peak that drop to about worst the evdo pre NV. I randomly picked up a band 41 signal at 115dbm from my bed room. But with that kind of strength it dropped off immediately. None usuable at this time. What get me is that wen I had my nexus s I was a least able to get some signal in my room not great but something. Not with LTE though!

Has anyone else noticed their phone idling on PCS 1x, but when it switches to a call it goes over to 1x800. I've seen it happen more than a few times, and it even happened in Connecticut and Massachusetts when I visited.

Has anyone else noticed their phone idling on PCS 1x, but when it switches to a call it goes over to 1x800. I've seen it happen more than a few times, and it even happened in Connecticut and Massachusetts when I visited.

My N5, has always done this..must be a triband thing
  • Like 1

800 LTE has been turned on in the Bronx. I was in the elevator and it didn't disconnect from LTE at all today usually drops down to 3G when I went to check my home to tower it was reporting 800 signal!

Edited for glaring typos

Screenshot_2014-04-29-16-32-45.png

• Like 6

800 LTE has been turned on in the Bronx. I was in the elevator and it didn't disconnect from LTE at all day usually drops down to 3G when I went to check my home to shower was reporting 800 signal!

AWESOME!!!! Where!?

AWESOME!!!! Where!?

this is in the Bronx Kingsbridge section. I also noticed that they adjusted the tilt of one of the 1900 towers because going into my back bathroom of my apartment it doesn't drop signal anymore as well!
  • Like 1

just got a phone call with the person that I'm dating currently and my reception was at 47 dBm PCS channel which is not usual. That was at best 67dbm before. When I got off the call it jumped onto the 800 LTE tower at about 79 DBM on my HTC One max, about 5 seconds later it jump back on to the 1900 lte frequency instead!

Had to go to th bathroom cycle airplane mode to get it to drop down

Screenshot_2014-04-29-17-08-25_1.jpg

• Like 4

just got a phone call with the person that I'm dating currently and my reception was at 47 dBm PCS channel which is not usual. That was at best 67dbm before. When I got off the call it jumped onto the 800 LTE tower at about 79 DBM on my HTC One max, about 5 seconds later it jump back on to the 1900 lte frequency instead!

I would love to see a comparison to 3G in terms of signal strength. The general consensus is that its slightly stronger.
  • Like 1

I would love to see a comparison to 3G in terms of signal strength. The general consensus is that its slightly stronger.

explain better so that I can do that like force 3g mode then run another test in LTE?

Ok understood I'll have to do it when I get back in later tonight going to get food :-)

• Like 2

Had to go to th bathroom cycle airplane mode to get it to drop down

That is pretty spectacular speed for 5pm anywhere in NYC!

That is pretty spectacular speed for 5pm anywhere in NYC!

So I'll check from my apt strength between the 3g,4g carriers. That speed is what it was like on street level back in 2012 on my evo LTE when it first went live!

Ok so this link has everything I hope you guys asked for with some more screen shots as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ikq5wshl5fnvffr/j59kpkC31K

Could not replicate the 47dbm call reading earlier sadly.

• Like 2

Ok so this link has everything I hope you guys asked for with some more screen shots as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ikq5wshl5fnvffr/j59kpkC31K

Could not replicate the 47dbm call reading earlier sadly.

Bro! that's awesome! thanks for all the details! Its amazing how overcrowded B25 has become!  Also, comparing B26 to your 3G does show similar signal strengths, which is right online with what we expected (assuming its coming from the same sites..)

• Like 2

Lol , Moving on LTE in Elmont is seeing the light of day. Speeds are just above average 7-12 down , 2-5 up. Even when I don't have LTE , 3G is pretty stable .50 - 1.50 down & .50 up. I have no complaints with b25 or 3G. I'm just happy to see progress. I know im gonna be more than Happy when the Tri-Band iPhone 6 comes out ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I never noticed that til now. I'm never on a call so I guess I never payed attention. So triband phones don't Park on 1x800? My s3 was always parked there when available. My old s3 and my wife's q10 still constantly has lte in upper Manhattan where my s5 has a love / hate relationship with it. Every site around me is a green pin. Not sure what the issue is.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Well I have to say it was an entertaining day on here when I could read it.  Great call by the moderators.  And for the record, I felt like the guy sent to Bandlandia earlier for awhile, but so glad I stuck it out.  Things are markedly better now in the region.  Only one 3G only area by Scarsdale, but the rest of Westchester and the city is really looking good.  For those of you thinking of complaining, just wait, it gets better and it happens pretty quickly.  This site has been a valuable resource for me since the WiMAX days back when we would meet in the digital lounge to see what sites would be revealed next.  And now for all you NYC market folks, it is a big GAME 7 night, so give the network a break, disconnect, and watch some Ranger hockey.  Do not watch on any mobile device because if the game gets ugly, mobile things are much easier to throw, smash, or take your rage out on.

• Like 2