Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

So what is the purpose of them making us wait to have the tri-band turned on for our phones?

I have no idea why it's not enabled out of the box. They may still be working on getting the handoffs between bands working, trying to get the perfect threshold for each device. Since we don't know of any 800 LTE live yet, that may be one of the issues.

Until all the sites are complete and backhaul increases have been put into place you won't see those speeds. Many of them are still running on the old WiMax backhaul, which generally maxes out around 25Mbps. In Robert's testing I'm Denver he was getting speeds around 50Mbps on the TD-LTE network. When backhaul gets upgraded to 100-200Mbps, we should see speeds like he saw. Possibly faster.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

In NYC, a lot of the Clear sites have fiber backhaul. My guess is microwave doesn't work well when there are tons of brick and concrete structures in the way. As a result, on WiMax, my friends that still have WiMax devices usually get over 12Mbps.

What do you mean buy "our phones"? So far it will be Nexus 5, G2, Galaxy Mega, HTC One Max, GS4 Mini. With the majority of those getting TD support sometime after launch. 

I have no idea why it's not enabled out of the box. They may still be working on getting the handoffs between bands working, trying to get the perfect threshold for each device. Since we don't know of any 800 LTE live yet, that may be one of the issues.

Lilg I was asking why are they making us wait for the firmware update to activate the tri-band on the phones. Dave answered it.

Lilg I was asking why are they making us wait for the firmware update to activate the tri-band on the phones. Dave answered it.

Ah, i see. So who all is getting one of these new phones?

Ah, i see. So who all is getting one of these new phones?

I'm itching for the G2, but haven't ordered yet. I may go ahead and wait until the tri-band update is pushed. That's the main reason I wanted it. Also some of the features are nice. The HTC One's camera is nice, but it still feels like a step down from most other flagship smartphone cameras. Except in low light, then I'm really glad I have it.

Hopefully there will be some more deals by early next year - if that's in fact how long it takes to be enabled.

I also thought about a Nexus 5 from Google, but the only thing better about the Nexus VS the ONE is tri-band (in my opinion) so if it's not activated until next year either, I think I'm just going to wait it out!

In NYC, a lot of the Clear sites have fiber backhaul. My guess is microwave doesn't work well when there are tons of brick and concrete structures in the way. As a result, on WiMax, my friends that still have WiMax devices usually get over 12Mbps.

Fortunately, the MO Market only has cows and such to get in the way of the Microwave. Maybe some corn, soy, etc, too... :)

Fortunately, the MO Market only has cows and such to get in the way of the Microwave. Maybe some corn, soy, etc, too... :)

Hey don't downplay that....there are some giant barns and farm equipment out there that can block out the sun.  A little microwave would be childsplay for them!

:P

This Note is a listing of every single Protection Site in America (work in progress) and a confirmation whether it is working or not. This note will be updated daily as information changes and/or is discovered. Do your part! If you live in or near one of the areas needing confirmation, confirm the signal and post results to Sensorly website via their Android app and post in this forum. Thanks!!!

I'm chomping at the bit for the N5. Now that I'm on Ting I'm yet again at the mercy of waiting on Sprint. Even though Sprint officially has the N5 they make MVNO's wait for the same phone's to become available.

So my new research is if the Sprint version of the N5 does have all of the radios for AT@T/T-Mo and is unlocked. If so I'll just drop Ting and use the phone elsewhere until Sprint allows it on Ting.

I'm chomping at the bit for the N5. Now that I'm on Ting I'm yet again at the mercy of waiting on Sprint. Even though Sprint officially has the N5 they make MVNO's wait for the same phone's to become available.

So my new research is if the Sprint version of the N5 does have all of the radios for AT@T/T-Mo and is unlocked. If so I'll just drop Ting and use the phone elsewhere until Sprint allows it on Ting.

there is no sprint version its all the same version.

there is no sprint version its all the same version.

LOL.  Correct you are that there is one SKU. But, since this is a first my question is still valid and as far as I can tell un-answered.  Are all N5 purchased from the Play store (whether for use on Sprint, At&T or T-Mo) unlocked and able to be used on any of the 3 supported carriers if you have the correct sim?  Correct me if I'm wrong please but didn't previous LTE devices on Sprint all had the sim soldered on the board.

I'm asking all of the questions because I want to know about ease of interoperability and carrier portability.

Uh dude I have an EVO 4G LTE and the sim card is most definitely not removable.

Great to hear about the N5 being unlocked.  As that is the case I definitely will be getting it.  I will be waiting a few weeks to see if Sprint will release the strangle hold on Ting and allow the N5 to be activated on Ting as well.  I'm not holding my breath though.  If not I suppose I'll get a GoPhone pre-paid.

Thanks.

Uh dude I have an EVO 4G LTE and the sim card is most definitely not removable.

Great to hear about the N5 being unlocked. As that is the case I definitely will be getting it. I will be waiting a few weeks to see if Sprint will release the strangle hold on Ting and allow the N5 to be activated on Ting as well. I'm not holding my breath though. If not I suppose I'll get a GoPhone pre-paid.

Thanks.

Your right about that the one is definitely removable though. I confused my memory of removing the SD card lol.

LOL.  Correct you are that there is one SKU. But, since this is a first my question is still valid and as far as I can tell un-answered.  Are all N5 purchased from the Play store (whether for use on Sprint, At&T or T-Mo) unlocked and able to be used on any of the 3 supported carriers if you have the correct sim?  Correct me if I'm wrong please but didn't previous LTE devices on Sprint all had the sim soldered on the board.

I'm asking all of the questions because I want to know about ease of interoperability and carrier portability.

Completely unlocked. The SIM is removable just like the HTC ONE. You don't even need to specify which network when purchasing from Google. When you get the phone, you have to also get a Sprint SIM (free from any corporate retail and repair store) in order to activate.

Evo LTE and HTC one had removable Sims.

EVO LTE did not have a removable SIM. -- -- I see that was already covered lol.

Completely unlocked. The SIM is removable just like the HTC ONE. You don't even need to specify which network when purchasing from Google. When you get the phone, you have to also get a Sprint SIM (free from any corporate retail and repair store) in order to activate.

EVO LTE did not have a removable SIM. -- -- I see that was already covered lol.

What is most interesting here is that we almost, albeit without VZW, have a phone that can move "easily" across the providers.  Now the question will be about updates.  Will Google be able to update the LTE side as quickly as GSM side.  Only time will tell.

What is most interesting here is that we almost, albeit without VZW, have a phone that can move "easily" across the providers.  Now the question will be about updates.  Will Google be able to update the LTE side as quickly as GSM side.  Only time will tell.

Not sure what you mean by update the LTE side as quickly as the GSM side? There's only one device. Only one update. It goes out to all Nexus 5s at or around the same time. No differentiation between carriers. Updates should come much quicker than for any other device since the carriers are not involved.

Not sure what you mean by update the LTE side as quickly as the GSM side? There's only one device. Only one update. It goes out to all Nexus 5s at or around the same time. No differentiation between carriers. Updates should come much quicker than for any other device since the carriers are not involved.

The Nexus line is supposed to be the Android phone line that received updates as quickly as possible.  Meaning once Google released an update the source would be release to AOSP just as quickly.  Since LTE is an encumbered technology, unlike GSM, it has been a problem for Google to update as quickly as the GSM only Nexus phones (i.e. Verizons abortive Nexus and even the more recent Sprint Galaxy Nexus).  This will make things very interesting to say the least.

The Nexus line is supposed to be the Android phone line that received updates as quickly as possible.  Meaning once Google released an update the source would be release to AOSP just as quickly.  Since LTE is an encumbered technology, unlike GSM, it has been a problem for Google to update as quickly as the GSM only Nexus phones (i.e. Verizons abortive Nexus and even the more recent Sprint Galaxy Nexus).  This will make things very interesting to say the least.

The problem was going through the carriers to push the updates. With that out of the way, I don't think it would take long at all.

Hopefully.   One can only hope that Google has worked (i.e. greased some palms) some magic on the back end to help speed up the update for a unified LTE Nexus.  I would guess this is why Verizon isn't on board.  I hope I am wrong but I have to wonder if LTE won't be the hold up this time around.

Hopefully.   One can only hope that Google has worked (i.e. greased some palms) some magic on the back end to help speed up the update for a unified LTE Nexus.  I would guess this is why Verizon isn't on board.  I hope I am wrong but I have to wonder if LTE won't be the hold up this time around.

I would say that VZW is not on board because they don't like the idea of letting people buy an unlocked device that works with any carrier all for a low unsubsidized price.

I would say that VZW is not on board because they don't like the idea of letting people buy an unlocked device that works with any carrier all for a low unsubsidized price.

I agree with that ^^. Seems most likely to me that Verizon doesn't like the idea of people purchasing an unlocked device, making it sooo so easy to keep their grandfathered unlimited plans, not extending their current plan, or signing up for their Edge program.