Dish Network/Boost Mobile cell/5G buildout thread

PythonFanPA

4 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Author kinda doesn't know what they're talking about, as they assumed their speeds were n71-only (it's like they half-read the PCMag article they cite). The speeds they're mentioning are 100% from n71 + n66 SDL, which also explains speeds dropping off a cliff when they walk indoors.

In fact, Dish has some paired AWS-3 in Spokane, albeit just 5x5, so I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't bothered deploying that and are just doing 71 + n66 SDL (the former at 5x5).

May head down to San Marcos and New Braunfels tonight to do some testing. I expect either n71-only or n71 + SDL, not sure which. n71 is 5x5 here as Dish has leased half of their 10x10 to T-Mobile. When that lease expires they'll be at 10x10, and they could get another 10 MHz FD (albeit not contiguous) from speculators if T-Mobile didn't outbid them. Will be interesting to see who buys what when.

• Like 1

I was thinking that Dish could be in a pickle with limited low-band.  But forgot they will have n26. Dish needs to also push carriers to support that band as well.

I know that is like 14x14.  With 5G, is that something that Dish will be fully able to utilize?

4 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

I was thinking that Dish could be in a pickle with limited low-band.  But forgot they will have n26. Dish needs to also push carriers to support that band as well.

I know that is like 14x14.  With 5G, is that something that Dish will be fully able to utilize?

7x7. So Dish will be able to run another 5x5 on it. Plus 5 MHz SDL on n29. Plus whatever they have on n71.

Not a ton of low-band, but remember that Sprint didn't have low-band at all until they got 5x5 B26, and T-Mobile didn't until they got 5x5 B12, and then only in some areas. And Dish can in-market roam on TMo/AT&T B12/71 anyway.

• Like 2

So, there are definitely a few sites broadcasting in San Marcos and New Braunfels, but my M6 Pro wouldn't connect to them, and putting the SIM in my S22 just gave me AT&T LTE roaming. Pinged Project Genesis on Twitter to see if I can get some resolution on this.

• Like 3

On 7/2/2022 at 4:20 PM, iansltx said:

7x7. So Dish will be able to run another 5x5 on it. Plus 5 MHz SDL on n29. Plus whatever they have on n71.

Not a ton of low-band, but remember that Sprint didn't have low-band at all until they got 5x5 B26, and T-Mobile didn't until they got 5x5 B12, and then only in some areas. And Dish can in-market roam on TMo/AT&T B12/71 anyway.

Did they declare their intention to buy band 26 from T-Mobile. I know that they have the option to buy it but do they have the money or the intention to buy it? Are they leasing it right now?

3 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Did they declare their intention to buy band 26 from T-Mobile. I know that they have the option to buy it but do they have the money or the intention to buy it? Are they leasing it right now?

They have the intention, as the equipment they're deploying supports n26. The transaction has not yet happened, T-Mobile is still in control and using the spectrum on some Sprint keep sites.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Yuhfhrh said:

They have the intention, as the equipment they're deploying supports n26. The transaction has not yet happened, T-Mobile is still in control and using the spectrum on some Sprint keep sites.

I bet you they drag it out as long as they can.

• Like 1

There are only a few sites left running, but I confirmed today that Sprint B26 is still running in Alexandria.  I connected to one keep site and one non-keep site.

- Trip

• Like 2

On 7/19/2022 at 1:08 AM, 4GHoward said:

How long until the confidentiality comes off? I remember looking at the wimax site patterns, which included their unpublished sites. Hoping for the same with Dish.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/dish-launches-sign-page-boost-infinite-launch-later-fall

Screen alludes to using all three networks (Dish then AT&T or T-Mobile).  Could be great if done right.

• Like 1

I signed up for updates. If they wind up offering a decently priced plan with a bunch of tethering data and decent streaming caps, I wouldn't mind consolidating my current Sprint and Boost-on-AT&T lines down to Boost Infinite. Just need to have phone options that aren't a downgrade from my S22, or allow me to bring my S22.

• Like 3

Same here.  I'll actually be changing up plans some at the end of the year, getting a Genesis hotspot and still save ~$30/yr. lol

With Genesis and my.BoostMobile pricing, I would expect similar pricing and BYOP. I'd imagine that this will be open to BYOP, which will allow Dish to performance test their network further for supported devices, get people on their network, and support a wide range of devices that can ride on either AT&T or TMobile's network.  Beings that AT&T has a whitelist and all.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if at minimum you'll need a 5G supported device.

Edited by red_dog007
  • Like 1

Headed back down to San Marcos today and this time got Dish 5G (see my tweets from today). Decent amount of coverage, all the way up through Kyle, though there were parts of San Marcos where supposedly Dish sites were live that I was roaming on AT&T. Saw as much as 30 Mbps up and 120 Mbps down, though typical speeds were more like 35 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up. So n66 SDL is live but the network isn't dense enough to have it on all the time.

Traffic hits the internet in Dallas (yay AWS Local Zones!) but latency isn't great, at around 70ms to Dallas. Better than hairpinning to Columbus like AT&T roaming does, but I've seen comparable latency to Columbus on AT&T vs. Dallas on Dish.

Coverage peters out around where SH 45 SW turns into MoPac, which is encouraging. Maybe it'll hit Austin proper in a few months.

If they can tune all the sites like the one on 35 with 120/30 peak speeds on really good RSRP (-70s), they could wind up as the #2 fastest network in areas AT&T/VZW haven't hit with C-Band yet.

• Like 2

I guess we'll see how many takers there are for this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-04/dish-nears-launch-of-mobile-service-taking-on-at-t-and-verizon

One early drawback to the Boost Infinite service is that, for now, subscribers will need to buy a $900 Motorola Edge+ phone to get connected to Dish’s new network. More phones that are compatible with the system are expected in the third quarter, Dish told analysts Wednesday.

Registration Site: https://www.boostinfinite.com

I remember when Virgin Mobile went iPhone-only: https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/21/virgin-mobile-goes-iphone-only-offers-a-year-of-service-for-1/

That didn't go so well.

• 2 weeks later...

A local pre-submission "permit" for a Dish site with four antennas and eight RRUs per sector:

The installation will consist of 3 sectors and one metal platform and equipment cabinet. Each sector will have four panel antennas, 8 remote radio units, two over voltage protection devices, jumpers, and hcs hybrid cable in a cable tray.

https://permitsearch.mybuildingpermit.com/PermitDetails/PRE22-00597/Kirkland

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...