Dish Network/Boost Mobile cell/5G buildout thread

PythonFanPA

On 5/3/2022 at 12:17 PM, dkyeager said:

Seems a little late for these type of announcements, at least for the 3 frequencies currently being used and their implimentation.  Of course this may be for the next phase of using all their frequencies: "The Samsung radios will also support all of DISH's Frequency Division Duplex (FDD) and Time Division Duplex (TDD) spectrum bands (including n71, n29, n66, n70, n48 and n77)."

The equipment that Dish is deploying now, does it even support n48 or n77?  Seems like a good deal, this will allow Dish to continue a one climb per tower strategy. 

1 hour ago, red_dog007 said:

The equipment that Dish is deploying now, does it even support n48 or n77?  Seems like a good deal, this will allow Dish to continue a one climb per tower strategy. 

Nope. 26/29/71 on low-band, 66/70 on mid-band-ish.

• Like 1

Apparently the initial rollout is only on n71 and n66; the Edge+ phones they're handing out don't even support n70. At which point, why not let anyone with an S22 onto the network, as the S22 has n71, n66, and the same chip as the Edge+ (8G1, so you can do 3CA). I get why they won't let just anyone with n71/n66 on as they probably need 3CA for perf reasons (would get them 35x15 as they have 10x10 n71, 5x5 n66 FD, 20 MHz n66 SDL), but there's more than one phone that can do that, and they'd have a lot more beta testers if folks could just pick up an S22 and roll.

Hopefully they get to the point of doing a SIM kit with an IMEI whitelist to anything with an 8G1, if they're not gonna bother running n70 on even the phones they're handing out. Would absolutely head down to New Braunfels and San Marcos to do some network testing on my brand new S22.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, iansltx said:

Apparently the initial rollout is only on n71 and n66; the Edge+ phones they're handing out don't even support n70.

Not certain about that. Would love to know the model varient/ fccid of what they will be handing out.  press does such a horrible job reporting on bands supported.

Agree on the s22. The modem can be more easily reprogrammed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Not certain about that. Would love to know the model varient/ fccid of what they will be handing out.  press does such a horrible job reporting on bands supported.

Agree on the s22. The modem can be more easily reprogrammed.

Ergen was quoted as saying they don't have phones with n70 yet, so apparently, well, they don't have phones with n70 yet.

So it's not even a deal of "oh this one phone supports n70"...it doesn't. So anything that supports n71, n66, and 3CA should be allowed onto the network, even if it's just via a SIM kit.

1 hour ago, iansltx said:

Ergen was quoted as saying they don't have phones with n70 yet, so apparently, well, they don't have phones with n70 yet.

So it's not even a deal of "oh this one phone supports n70"...it doesn't. So anything that supports n71, n66, and 3CA should be allowed onto the network, even if it's just via a SIM kit.

I had not seen that quote. Was hoping the phone might have special firmware that enabled n70. Moto models xt2213 and xt2215 cleared FCC with that support two months ago thus likely available around this time. Perhaps announced on Tuesday meeting for investors.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 1:10 PM, iansltx said:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/dish-explains-costly-phone-choice-its-new-5g-network

Definitely leaning your way.  When they only have one or two phones to test, you wonder why the delay?

https://www.lightreading.com/open-ran/dishs-5g-targets-40m-smartphone-customers-and-20-of-enterprise-market/d/d-id/777467?

Dish will be starting a new brand for 5g. Unmentioned is how they will get their Boost Mobile customers ultimately to move over. Perhaps fearing scale issues or is this a recognition that they have put these customer through too much already?  Maybe they want to cleanup their independent dealer network, many of whom have been clueless/unsupported during prior sim/carrier changes? 

I was hoping for a highly intelligent roaming arrangement to seamlessly add capacity where and when needed to their 5g network by selecting the best available other network through AT&T or T-Mobile while also factoring in cost much like what TracFone had promised before being gobbled up by Verizon..  Maybe I am just getting too far ahead.

I would already have a compatible Boost Mobile SIM if they'd sell me one.  From what I've heard, none of the existing SIMs will work on Dish.  So, yes, another transition awaits, especially if they've moved their customers onto non-5G devices.

- Trip

Dish Reveals First Coverage Maps, 'Boost Infinite' Brand | PCMag

Some general coverage maps.

Boost Infinite to be primary postpaid brand.

They sound interested in eSIM.  Makes sense to make for quicker, easier and cheaper transition to Dish's network.

80% pop coverage in 2025.  We will have to remember Sprint.  They covered what, over 90% pop but if you looked at their coverage map it still looked pretty pitiful for absolute coverage.  At least Dish will have a solid roaming partner with AT&T for 10 years.

I have one line on a 12yr that expires this month I am going to put on Solo until hopefully I can jump on Genesis.  Got another line going on the current Boost Mobile unlimited deal for $300/yr.  I know that isn't on the Dish network, hopefully I will be able to change out SIMs at some point.  Pretty excited to be trying at the network.

I do hope though that when you are on the edge of the network, it won't try to hold on forever to a Dish signal.  Hopefully it will gladly switch over to AT&Ts signal and act as if it were native, using the same set of criteria to switch between the two networks just like switching between towers.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mdob07 said:

I got an email to apply for the Project Genesis beta yesterday! Has anyone else gotten it yet and applied? 

Yes as well.

I wanted to get on with Genesis, but waited too long.  Just moved my line to BM and another to RP this week.  Experience switching to BM was fantastic though.  Hopefully through them I can at some point get a new sim, or go esim to ride on the Dish network when it exists.

6 hours ago, 4GHoward said:

Here is a preview of new phones built for DISH Wireless 5G:

No comment on n70 support

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing 313-340 broadcasting n71 in Louisville now, so it appears Dish's network is now live here. My phone actually tried to connect to it briefly when I was forced to n71. 

• Like 3

Dish is now claiming that their 5g is live in the following cities:

• Albuquerque, NM
  • Altoona, IA
  • Ann Arbor, MI
  • Asheville, NC
  • Bay City, MI
  • Bellevue, NE
  • Bentonville, AR
  • Binghamton, NY
  • Boise, ID
  • Bowling Green, KY
  • Bristol, TN
  • Brooksville, FL
  • Brownsville, TX
  • Carson City, NV
  • Cary, NC
  • Casper, WY
  • Champaign, IL
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Chattanooga, TN
  • Chester, VA
  • Cheyenne, WY
  • Chicopee, MA
  • Chippewa Falls, WI
  • Clarksville, TN
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Cocoa Beach, FL
  • Columbus, OH
  • Concord, NC
  • Corpus Christi, TX
  • Dallas, TX
  • Davenport, IA
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Denton, TX
  • Des Moines, IA
  • Duluth, MN
  • Eagle, ID
  • Eau Claire, WI
  • Elmira, NY
  • El Paso, TX
  • Evansville, IN
  • Fayetteville, AR
  • Flagstaff, AZ
  • Flint, MI
  • Fond du Lac, WI
  • Fort Smith, AR
  • Fresno, CA
  • Ft Worth, TX
  • Gadsden, AL
  • Grand Junction, CO
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Gulfport, MS
  • Harrisonburg, VA
  • Hartford, CT
  • Hattiesburg, MS
  • Henderson, NV
  • Hendersonville, TN
  • High Point, NC
  • Hot Springs, AR
  • Houston, TX
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Ithaca, NY
  • Jackson, MI
  • Jackson, MS
  • Kansas City, KS
  • Johnson City, TN
  • Johnstown, PA
  • Kingsport, TN
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Lansing, MI
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Lawton, OK
  • Lexington, KY
  • Lincoln, NE
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Louisville, KY
  • McAllen,TX
  • Mechanicsville, VA
  • Merced, CA
  • Meridian, ID
  • Middletown, CT
  • Midland, MI
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Modesto, CA
  • Murfreesboro, TN
  • Nashville, TN
  • New Braunfels, TX
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Ocala, FL
  • Ogden, UT
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Omaha, NE
  • Orlando, FL
  • Ozark, MO
  • Palm Bay, FL
  • Petersburg, VA
  • Pine Bluff, AR
  • Prescott, AZ
  • Provo, UT
  • Pueblo, CO
  • Raleigh-Durham, NC
  • Rapid City, SD
  • Reno, NV
  • Richmond, VA
  • Rochester, MN
  • Rochester, NY
  • Saginaw, MI
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Sioux Falls, SD
  • Sparks, NV
  • Spokane, WA
  • Springfield, IL
  • Springfield, MA
  • Springfield, MO
  • St Joseph, MO
  • Staunton, VA
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Stockton, CA
  • Suffolk, VA
  • Superior, WI
  • Syracuse, NY
  • Texas City, TX
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Urbandale, IA
  • Utica, NY
  • Valdosta, GA
  • Victoria, TX
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Watertown, NY
  • Waynesboro, VA
  • Wildwood, FL
  • Williamsburg, VA
  • Winter Garden, FL
  • Yuma, AZ

Source: https://launch.5gmobilegenesis.com/cities/

They specifically say it is live in my area.  My phone sees 8 plmns, but not theirs.  My guess is protection sites.

• Like 2

So, their online order form thing is broken-ish. Strips apartment numbers on addresses and doesn't let you add them in later. Trying to order to an apartment in Albuquerque and...maybe I can use Ye Olde View Source to get through because I really want that M6 Pro hotspot and $20 unlimited hotspot data but...we shall see.

Spoke too soon. Card transaction went through, shipping to Albuquerque. Will be able to play with the hotspot in a little over a week ($20 unlimited FTW). Will check out coverage in one of the TX markets near me (probably San Marcos) the following week I think.

Was thinking of getting the S22 but the Nighthawk M6 Pro fits my use case better, and if it's anything like my M1 I can telnet in and pull signal info over USB, so I'm not losing much vs. ServiceMode on the S22. Don't care about VoNR as it's probably garbage on DishNet anyway.

I fully expect to get booted in November unless they have coverage in Austin by then, as I'll totally use this to run conference WiFi at a location that doesn't have particularly strong hard-line WiFi. But we shall see.

• Like 1