Dish Network/Boost Mobile cell/5G buildout thread

PythonFanPA

20 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

Anyone in Vegas?  Just 30 minutes ago I got an email for the first round of invites into Project Genesis. It's happening!

How did you apply?  Was it launch.5gmobilegenesis.com?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

How did you apply?  Was it launch.5gmobilegenesis.com?

Yes

The invite link appears to be just a vanilla link. 

https://launch.genesis5g.com/survey/

Asks 5 simple questions, and then asks for your phone number so a rep can call or text "regarding Project Genesis products and services".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:

Yes

The invite link appears to be just a vanilla link. 

https://launch.genesis5g.com/survey/

Asks 5 simple questions, and then asks for your phone number so a rep can call or text "regarding Project Genesis products and services".

The last question is whether you live in Las Vegas.

• Like 1

LightReading got to test Dish's network in Las Vegas. https://www.lightreading.com/the-edge/the-time-i-visited-dish-5g-cell-site/a/d-id/775576?

If you're looking for the TL;DR version: The quality of the call on Dish's network was fine. And it provided speeds around 250 Mbit/s.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

LightReading got to test Dish's network in Las Vegas. https://www.lightreading.com/the-edge/the-time-i-visited-dish-5g-cell-site/a/d-id/775576?

The use of band 70 will be the issue right now for them.  Not on the Samsung A32 5g. Their customer base needs cheap phones.

Verizon is the opposite.  The Samsung A32 5g supports n77 for C-band, but Verizon does not at this time.  Probably dilutes their expensive image, ie you only get a good network if you spend a lot of money (I am sure they say this more elegantly lol.)

• Like 2

Details here for the small city initial coverage. Basically spread out over as many states as possible. https://www.lightreading.com/5g/dish-ids-more-5g-markets-strikes-deal-with-t-mobile-to-resolve-cdma-shutdown-/d/d-id/775556?

• Like 3

Report of likely cheap 5g phones for specific Dish bands: https://www.phonearena.com/news/new-moto-phones-to-support-disg-5g_id138854

• Like 2

These Dish crews around here are killing it right now, they just completely installed a new site by my office in two days, and did everything including lifting the pieces of the rack up by hoist ropes instead of a crane. By comparison I've seen crews on site 2-3 weeks to add just N41 to an existing site that already has 2/12/66/71, and the T-Mobile crews seem to use a crane a lot more than I've seen for other carriers. Just searching one particular electrical contractor the other day I found 50+ permits for electric for dish sites just in metro Louisville. Still nowhere near as dense as the other 3 but should provide decent coverage inside Louisville and I'd assume they'll keep densifying as their network load increases in the coming years.  

On another note I was down in Nashville over the weekend and I didn't really see much Dish equipment, but I was also with a big group of people and not actively looking for it either.  

• Like 3

I feel like there are a lot of Dish sites around here. New sites/locations with just one antenna per sector. Looking at that list of cities, mine is on the list so it makes sense.
I am assuming that Dish will be roaming on AT&T when out of coverage? I'd love to ride on the Dish network but I need coverage with my job. I'm actually going to try out Boost Mobile in a couple months due to the lack of TMobile coverage.

I also got yet another email to beta Genesis, but did not seem restricted to Las Vegas. Asked questions like what you are into and if you have been part of betas before that need feedback.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:16 PM, red_dog007 said:

I feel like there are a lot of Dish sites around here. New sites/locations with just one antenna per sector. Looking at that list of cities, mine is on the list so it makes sense.
I am assuming that Dish will be roaming on AT&T when out of coverage? I'd love to ride on the Dish network but I need coverage with my job. I'm actually going to try out Boost Mobile in a couple months due to the lack of TMobile coverage.

I also got yet another email to beta Genesis, but did not seem restricted to Las Vegas. Asked questions like what you are into and if you have been part of betas before that need feedback.

Link?

This is something interesting from DISH Wireless Tower Climber Job Description:

• Install and maintain HughesNet Gen 5 satellite broadband equipment that serves as the backhaul for some of our tower sites

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 4GHoward said:

This is something interesting from DISH Wireless Tower Climber Job Description:

• Install and maintain HughesNet Gen 5 satellite broadband equipment that serves as the backhaul for some of our tower sites

I wish the other providers would add satellite communications to many of their sites.  Low bandwidth sites could run entirely on a satellite link and other sites could use it as a low speed backup for when other communication methods are down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radem said:

I wish the other providers would add satellite communications to many of their sites.  Low bandwidth sites could run entirely on a satellite link and other sites could use it as a low speed backup for when other communication methods are down.

This would be quite useful in hurricane prone areas.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I got my beta email but said for Las Vegas residents only. :( 

There are soooo many new Dish sites up in my area.  It is a shame.  Hopefully soon. 

I think I am going to jump on Boost Mobile network just so I can throw a few dollars their way each month.  I wonder once Dish network is live, if they will start shifting users over to their network where they can when it is accessible.  B26, B29, B66 and B71 for devices that can support these, I'd expect Dish to be able to offload a good bit of traffic onto their network.  Major markets potentially have a good bit of spectrum in those bands to keep speeds adequate for the number of users they currently have.

In my market on those bands I got 10x10 B26, 5x5 B29, no B66 and 5x5 B71.

1.) Can low-band be aggregated together now?  So B71+B29+B26?

2.) I have noticed that Dish deploying just one antenna per sector.  What kind of band support do we anticipate Dish to go live with?

We're like a month and a half from the deadline.  I was really hoping to see some availability by now.  I'm itching to get a device (possibly the Moto G 5G 2022, which should have n70 support, though that doesn't come out until next month and may be too pricey for now, so maybe the Celero if that can be band locked) and the $100/year plan to track the network.  Lots of deployment around Richmond, which tracks with their announcements, but I've also seen permits appear around here and at least one deployment. 

- Trip

• Like 2

1 hour ago, red_dog007 said:

There are soooo many new Dish sites up in my area.  It is a shame.  Hopefully soon. 

I think I am going to jump on Boost Mobile network just so I can throw a few dollars their way each month.  I wonder once Dish network is live, if they will start shifting users over to their network where they can when it is accessible.  B26, B29, B66 and B71 for devices that can support these, I'd expect Dish to be able to offload a good bit of traffic onto their network.  Major markets potentially have a good bit of spectrum in those bands to keep speeds adequate for the number of users they currently have.

2.) I have noticed that Dish deploying just one antenna per sector.  What kind of band support do we anticipate Dish to go live with?

Dish isn't launching any LTE, NR only, so there are barely any devices that support their SA bands with VoNR.

1) Depending on the device, it can be possible. There are a few phones that can aggregate 800-900MHz frequencies with 700MHz frequencies. n71_n26 may be possible in the future on large flagship devices that can afford the antenna spacing, or n26_n29. 600+700 doesn't look likely though.

2) In Vegas they have n71 and n66 live. In other cities that are starting to turn on, NR Sibs are just showing n71 for now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

Three NR spectrum bands being put up now: Band 71 (600MHz), Band 66 (AWS) and Band 70 (AWS-4)  source: https://www.lightreading.com/the-edge/the-time-i-visited-dish-5g-cell-site/a/d-id/775576

• Like 1

I have even found Dish sites in small towns outside out Columbus, OH.

I wonder if bringing them all up as protection sites is an option?  Initial service just to public beta members may also be an option until they get the system bugs shaken out.

• Like 1