Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Any discussion of churn should include this footnote: "Customers impacted by the decommissioning of the legacy Sprint CDMA and LTE and T-Mobile UMTS networks have been excluded from our customer base resulting in the removal of 212,000 postpaid phone customers and 349,000 postpaid other customers in the first quarter of 2022 and 284,000 postpaid phone customers, 946,000 postpaid other customers and 28,000 prepaid customers in the second quarter of 2022. In connection with our acquisition of companies, we included a base adjustment in the first quarter of 2022 to increase postpaid phone customers by 17,000 and reduce postpaid other customers by 14,000. Certain customers now serviced through reseller contracts were removed from our reported postpaid customer base resulting in the removal of 42,000 postpaid phone customers and 20,000 postpaid other customers in the second quarter of 2022.", page 2, https://s29.q4cdn.com/310188824/files/doc_financials/2022/q3/TMUS-09_30_2022-EX-99.1-vFinal.pdf

Sorry....What does this exclusion/inclusion mean?

9 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Sorry....What does this exclusion/inclusion mean?

It means customers with old phones are not factored into churn this year.  These folks could also be counted as new customers if they come back.  Some of the lost Sprint customers could be in areas that not longer have Sprint service nor T-Mobile service.  It narrows the definition of churn, thus more favorable to T-Mobile. 

It is possible other carriers are doing the same.  If so, the entire industry looks more robust when these old phone customers sign up with any carrier.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

It means customers with old phones are not factored into churn this year.  These folks could also be counted as new customers if they come back.  Some of the lost Sprint customers could be in areas that not longer have Sprint service nor T-Mobile service.  It narrows the definition of churn, thus more favorable to T-Mobile. 

It is possible other carriers are doing the same.  If so, the entire industry looks more robust when these old phone customers sign up with any carrier.

Thanks! Lots of interesting info in the Investor Factbook for this Quarter!

Some more interesting details on VoNR, decom/keep site work and 5G deployment from the Earnings Call here: https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/t-mobile-cites-progress-5g-voice-its-slog

T-Mobile CEO Mike Sievert said it’s the first auction where the winning bids, when they’re ultimately assigned, will be ready when they “flip the switch,” so to speak. T-Mobile already deployed the radios on 13,000 towers that will reach 45 million people by the end of this year.

“It's almost immediate because the radios are there,” he said, noting that they’re not allowed to transmit into the 2.5 GHz white spaces that they just won at auction until the final spectrum assignments by the FCC. But he expressed confidence in the FCC getting the process completed. 

• Like 2

Continuing the conversation from earlier in the thread about filling out the coverage map here in Nebraska... we are tracking signs of the buildout in the Nebraska Market thread where @Rickie546 has been able to identify sites with potential T-Mobile activity. Quite a few brand new builds across Nebraska and Kansas, some in Missouri and Illinois too.

Also found a Sprint protection site that has evidently been converted, though it's not yet on the coverage map.

NMXnURC.png

• Like 6

With the discovery of 3 more converted sites in Omaha this week, it brings the total number of converted sites to over 100 in what used to be the West Iowa / Nebraska Sprint market. There are a couple sites that are converted but not yet broadcasting that I am counting in that number. And yet, T-Mobile still has open conversion permits on ~25 sites in Omaha with an additional ~30 that are still online and broadcasting the keep PLMN that we know of across the market.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

More n25 arriving in Columbus.  Seen on West side.  Expanding.  Shows on cellmapper n25 trails, but not sites so it may not be connecting yet else cellmapper needs an update.

Still some B25 sites around plus B41 CA (2).  The B25 sites no longer accept Sprint sim requests, so this is a final goodbye to my Sprint LG G2s.  The LG G4 will also be entombed since it can not handle any version of Cellmapper I could find.  My Sprint LG V2 still lives more or less on the T-Mobile network and AT&T (until their Grim Reaper finds it).  Supposedly T-Mobile is back to giving away "free" 5G phones if you bring in one (not certain if this is dead or alive, but these work).

Edited by dkyeager
confirmed today that n25 SA is not allowing connections.
  • Like 1

I have something in one of my logs that I need additional opinions on.

https://imgur.com/a/lVzbmGt

This is from the SCP log database on my B26-locked Sprint SIM phone.  That GCI definitely matches the B12/71 pattern for that tower, with the prior Shentel gear having been FE66E[19/1A/1B]. 

Am I correctly interpreting this as T-Mobile having deployed B26 on this site?

- Trip

1 hour ago, Trip said:

This is from the SCP log database on my B26-locked Sprint SIM phone.  That GCI definitely matches the B12/71 pattern for that tower, with the prior Shentel gear having been FE66E[19/1A/1B]. 

- Trip

Not readable on a phone. Larger screen might help.

8 hours ago, Trip said:

- Trip

Yes, the Buffards Mountain Site broadcasting B26 is reasonable given its likely location versus the curve in US 15 which you were traveling on.  The earfcn matches 865Mhz for band 26.  The S4GRU New York crew recently spotted a similar site.  My guess is Dish will push out a final decision on B26 for as long as possible.  B26 is  most useful in urban and mountainous locations.

(Image easily expandable on the large screen PC).

Over the years, my primary line has progressed from a Nextel Employee Referral account, to SERO, to SWAC. Not surprisingly, I have not been eligible for all of the T-Mobile perks. Today, I flew on American Airlines.. and for the first time, I was able to take advantage of T-Mobile's free Wi-Fi promo. Usually it tells me my number is ineligible.. a nice surprise!

• Like 9

16 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Over the years, my primary line has progressed from a Nextel Employee Referral account, to SERO, to SWAC. Not surprisingly, I have not been eligible for all of the T-Mobile perks. Today, I flew on American Airlines.. and for the first time, I was able to take advantage of T-Mobile's free Wi-Fi promo. Usually it tells me my number is ineligible.. a nice surprise!

I've used this on my Sprint Max Plan and the service was really good. What a remarkable time we live in that things like this are possible and affordable. Looking forward to what the partnership with Starlink results in as well.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Amazing what you can do with enough money.

Sigh....

Still waiting on them to open up the checkbook for the biggest spectrum squatter of them all, Nextwave. They recently announced that they’re gonna use the BRS/EBS to build out private networks. I feel like it’s BS and they’re just doing it to create a sense of urgency for T-Mobile to buy it before they start actually deploying it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Still waiting on them to open up the checkbook for the biggest spectrum squatter of them all, Nextwave. They recently announced that they’re gonna use the BRS/EBS to build out private networks. I feel like it’s BS and they’re just doing it to create a sense of urgency for T-Mobile to buy it before they start actually deploying it. 

giphy.gif

It's all going to work out.

Some interesting stats about Magenta Max in this piece: https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/mareks-take-t-mobiles-success-will-force-bigger-move-mmwave

“This plan currently has under 20% penetration within T-Mobile’s subscriber base, but Jon Frier, president of T-Mobile’s consumer business, recently told investors on the company’s 3Q earnings call that Magenta MAX subscribers use the network at a much higher rate and are doing five times more gaming, two times more video and two-and-a-half times more social media than the average user.”

Magenta/Sprint Max is only possible because of the merger and T-Mobile’s cash resources to keep buying 2.5 GHz and mmWave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Some interesting stats about Magenta Max in this piece: https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/mareks-take-t-mobiles-success-will-force-bigger-move-mmwave

“This plan currently has under 20% penetration within T-Mobile’s subscriber base, but Jon Frier, president of T-Mobile’s consumer business, recently told investors on the company’s 3Q earnings call that Magenta MAX subscribers use the network at a much higher rate and are doing five times more gaming, two times more video and two-and-a-half times more social media than the average user.”

Magenta/Sprint Max is only possible because of the merger and T-Mobile’s cash resources to keep buying 2.5 GHz and mmWave.

She forgot about n77, which one our members has found live in Houston.  T-Mobile bought more midwave spectrum in major metro areas to address this concern. 

mmWave is very limited coverage wise (think a couple of blocks outside). T-Mobile's stadium, train station, college campus dorm and high rise apartment approach will have a better return on investment. Cleveland has like 8 mmWave sites for T-Mobile. One of her sources favors mmWave. mmWave made sense for Verizon when they started 5g just like Wimax did for Sprint when they started 4g. however mmWave will have a longer term role.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

She forgot about n77, which one our members has found live in Houston.  T-Mobile bought more midwave spectrum in major metro areas to address this concern. 

mmWave is very limited coverage wise (think a couple of blocks outside). T-Mobile's stadium, train station, college campus dorm and high rise apartment approach will have a better return on investment. Cleveland has like 8 mmWave sites for T-Mobile. One of her sources favors mmWave. mmWave made sense for Verizon when they started 5g just like Wimax did for Sprint when they started 4g. however mmWave will have a longer term role.

Good points.

I remember John Saw's takes on mmWave:

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/sprint-says-no-to-mmwave-yes-to-mobile-5g/d/d-id/739592

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/sprint-millimeter-wave-spectrum-important-part-our-strategy-going-forward

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 6:48 PM, mikejeep said:

They actually changed the plan description of Sprint plans to explicitly include the benfit.

Here's the description of  my old Framily plan:

Sprint Talk, Text, & Data Plan

Plan includes
  • Sprint Talk, Text, & Data Plan. $55 Minimum Monthly Charge. Unlimited Anytime Minutes. Unlimited Messaging. Nationwide Long Distance Included. America - Roaming Included. Includes 4 full-flight streaming sessions a year, plus, unlimited in-flight texting & 1 hour of streaming, where available. Call Waiting. Three-Way Calling Voicemail. MRC is not NVP discountable.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

I agree with John Saw's take on mmWave.  There are significant costs to purchasing and installing the mmWave antenna and associated equipment. 

It is only cost effective to spend the money deploying mmWave if there is going to be more than a certain number of customers very close to the antenna with no blockers between the customers and the antenna and the mid-band i.e. 2500mhz that is already available to that location cannot handle the load.  That is a very limited set of locations.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jf15219 said:

They actually changed the plan description of Sprint plans to explicitly include the benfit.

Interesting.. you are right. I now see this included on my plan details:

"Unlimited in-flight Wi-Fi with texting and streaming where available."

Excellent!

• Like 1