Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

On 10/20/2023 at 4:26 PM, RedSpark said:

Thanks. Looks like this is how it's going to have to be. Hard to believe.

T-Mobile has really turned into a clown show. They just don't care.

I paid off the three iPhone 14 Pro’s with T-Mobile and then did the Trade-In to Apple. I then ordered three iPhone 15 Pro’s from Apple on my Apple Card with Apple Pay.

Until T-Mobile fixes this, I’ll be doing my Apple upgrades directly with Apple, and saving the credit limit for other non-Apple lines.

• Like 4

T-Mobile takes its fiber effort to new markets in Florida, Minnesota

https://www.fiercetelecom.com/broadband/t-mobile-takes-its-fiber-effort-new-markets-florida-minnesota

Wave7 Research’s Jeff Moore told Fierce Telecom that over the past month the operator made its service available in two new areas in Florida and Minnesota.

Newly covered markets include Pinellas County in the former and the St. Cloud metro region in the latter.

- - - - -

T-Mobile now offers fiber service in seven markets: New York, NY; Pueblo and Northglenn, CO; Kenosha, WI; Bloomington and St. Cloud, MN; and Pinellas County, FL.

On 10/31/2023 at 10:48 AM, schmidtj said:

It says they added 192 new sites since 2021. I believe it. The network is really, really good in Utah these days. Some rural coverage still needs to be build, especially in Southeastern Utah. There's a lonely native coverage island in Blanding that finally went live last year. Hoping for more to come in that part of the state. 

• Like 2

T-Mobile surpasses Verizon as biggest prepaid carrier

T-Mobile is now the carrier with the largest number of prepaid customers, surpassing Verizon.

Based on their Q3 2023 earnings reports, T-Mobile had 21,595,000 customers and Verizon had 21,420,000. Wave7 Research flagged the change in a prepaid report distributed to subscribers this week. (AT&T reported 19,391,000 prepaid customers as of the end of Q3.)

Before the third quarter, Verizon was the biggest U.S. prepaid carrier, but that title was relatively new. The operator bought TracFone Wireless from América Móvil in 2021, instantly giving it more than 20 million prepaid customers. But it’s been steadily losing customers ever since.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-surpasses-verizon-biggest-prepaid-carrier

• Like 3

The T-Mobile Website is showing all of my lines as having the same usage address and same E-911 address.... which isn't what it shows on my devices. Great.

So I call 611.... and it's a 30 minute wait to speak with someone.

The website also won't let me change plans without speaking with someone.

How "Uncarrier".....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, though said:

Anyone else having major issues with their Pixel 8 randomly falling offline when out and about? Seems to be some sort of tower handoff issue going on with the P8 phones andT-Mo!

I have not experienced this on my Pixel 8 with T-Mobile eSIM. That thread appears to mostly be P8 Pro users, although I believe they both have the same radio hardware.

• Like 1

Just now, mikejeep said:

I have not experienced this on my Pixel 8 with T-Mobile eSIM. The problems appear to mostly be reported by P8 Pro users, although I believe they both have the same radio hardware.

Ok good to know. I have the P8 Pro w/ eSIM.

3 hours ago, though said:

Ok good to know. I have the P8 Pro w/ eSIM.

I have been seeing T-Mobile phones occassionally freezing on n41 and occasionally kicked back to edge 2g. Airplane mode fixes both but annoying. Reported once.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

I have been seeing T-Mobile phones occassionally freezing on n41 and occasionally kicked back to edge 2g. Airplane mode fixes both but annoying. Reported once.

I saw someone in the Reddit thread mentioned that disabling 2G under network settings made an improvement. My 2G setting is disabled, FWIW.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikejeep said:

I saw someone in the Reddit thread mentioned that disabling 2G under network settings made an improvement. My 2G setting is disabled, FWIW.

Not an option on my current phone. May buy a new one in January.

17 hours ago, mikejeep said:

I disabled 2G and within 3 miles of leaving my house this morning. GONE! Back to LTE-only 😕

IqQiTDl.png

On 11/14/2023 at 10:18 AM, though said:

Anyone else having major issues with their Pixel 8 randomly falling offline when out and about? Seems to be some sort of tower handoff issue going on with the P8 phones andT-Mo!

Yes, I seem to be having issues on my 8 Pro, I have a conventional SIM. I've noticed it also sends to be losing the network when I'm at home and on Wi-Fi. SignalCheck will show either -- or LTE with no band in the notification icon. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/t-mobile-values-partnerships-both-nokia-ericsson

Lots of interesting stuff here:

In mid-band, T-Mobile bought 3.45 GHz and C-band spectrum licenses to enhance its 2.5 GHz holdings. T-Mobile had been holding off on the deployment of that newer spectrum until it had dual-band radios that could operate at both frequencies; they now have those radios, he said.

• Like 7

T-Mobile Revs Up Millimeter Wave with 5G Standalone

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/t-mobile-revs-up-millimeter-wave-with-5g-standalone

T-Mobile (NASDAQ: TMUS) announced today it achieved another 5G U.S. first in a test that leveraged 5G standalone millimeter wave (mmWave) on its production network. Working with Ericsson and Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., the Un-carrier aggregated eight channels of mmWave spectrum to reach download speeds topping 4.3 Gbps without relying on low-band or mid-band spectrum to anchor the connection. T-Mobile also aggregated four channels of mmWave spectrum on the uplink, reaching speeds above 420 Mbps.

5G mmWave can deliver incredibly fast speeds because it offers massive capacity. But the signal doesn’t travel very well through obstacles, making it less ideal for mobile phone users who aren’t sitting still. That’s why T-Mobile has implemented a multi-band spectrum strategy using low-band to blanket the country and mid-band and high-band (Ultra Capacity) to deliver insanely fast speeds to nearly everyone. Now the Un-carrier is testing 5G mmWave on 5G SA for crowded areas like stadiums and, potentially, for fixed wireless service.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, schmidtj said:

It really is impressive what T-Mobile has done.  When S4GRU started in 2011, T-Mobile was the 4th place network in coverage, reputation and performance. Now, look at how far they come. Now the leader in so many ways.

It's something Sprint could have done too.  They could have made the decisions differently from the beginning and followed a similar course.  And now what ever was good about Sprint has been fully leveraged by Tmo and put to much better use. 

I miss Sprint. But really I just miss the potential that was always there. Always excited about what could be tomorrow. That potential has been realized. Just in hues of magenta, instead of yellow. 

Not that it's all been roses since the buyout.  But on the whole, much, much better.

Robert

• Like 17

On 12/21/2023 at 11:30 AM, S4GRU said:

It really is impressive what T-Mobile has done.  When S4GRU started in 2011, T-Mobile was the 4th place network in coverage, reputation and performance. Now, look at how far they come. Now the leader in so many ways.

It's something Sprint could have done too.  They could have made the decisions differently from the beginning and followed a similar course.  And now what ever was good about Sprint has been fully leveraged by Tmo and put to much better use. 

I miss Sprint. But really I just miss the potential that was always there. Always excited about what could be tomorrow. That potential has been realized. Just in hues of magenta, instead of yellow. 

Not that it's all been roses since the buyout.  But on the whole, much, much better.

Robert

It's good to be back!  I was blown away at how good T-Mobile service is, even in the rural areas I frequently travel.  Very happy to have dropped Verizon and join Magenta!  😁

• Like 3

17 hours ago, owensri2 said:

It's good to be back!  I was blown away at how good T-Mobile service is, even in the rural areas I frequently travel.  Very happy to have dropped Verizon and join Magenta!  😁

Long time, no see!  Welcome back.  In both regards. 

Robert

• Like 3

First SpaceX Satellites Launch for Breakthrough Direct to Cell Service with T-Mobile

and

T-Mobile Adds Hulu to its Streaming Suite, Un-carrier Customers Now Get the Best Entertainment Bundle in Wireless

Fine Print:
Hulu: Offer includes Hulu (With Ads). After 12 months, consumer action is required to continue complimentary subscription. If no action is taken, subscription auto-renews at $7.99/month or then-current regular monthly price. Hulu is available in the U.S. only. Additional terms apply. Yearly Upgrade: Qualifying new financed device & Go5G Next plan req'd. Then upgrade qualifying device in good condition after 6+ months with 50% paid off; upgrade ends current financing & any promo credits. Not combinable with some offers.

• Like 3