Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

22 hours ago, schmidtj said:

Saw this on top of the convent in Sinsinawa, Wi. At first I thought is was a cell tower now I am not so sure. Any insight appreciated. J

18C01DE9-B0C7-4A2F-B084-DB3728B5148A.jpeg

Looks like it's supplying backhaul to another location (with the dish) or it's being supplied by another location.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 10:32 PM, iansltx said:

Per Reddit, 1.5 throttle will get fixed in a few weeks. I'm actually 100% okay with an 8 Mbps throttle for video, despite the network being able to consistently deliver 50x that here. But 1.5 is a bridge too far.

What plan?

On 10/5/2021 at 8:14 PM, 1dante said:

Not sure what market Lake City, Fl is in as of the merger, but I was connected to 5G UC about a week ago and I got 691 down and 83 up. This was using my new iPhone 13 Pro. 

Lake city is Jacksonville Market 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grapkoski said:

And so it begins, the final gasp of big yellow.

Not quite so fast:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/business/update-on-our-cdma-network-transition-plans

On 10/22/2021 at 12:31 AM, iansltx said:

Unlimited Plus Subsidy (business)

I never realized those plans had the issue too. I was told on my everything data plan I should get the same video speed as unlimited plus but it hasn’t been fixed yet. So I’d say no.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:26 PM, jhman101 said:

I live in Lake City FL and they have L41 and N41 active on the watertower site down town.  I was able to get similar speeds 1.5 miles from the site when I had clear line of sight to the site.  Also they recently got permits to add N41 to several more sites.

Also they just got the first permit that I have seen in the area to convert a current Sprint only site to T-Mobile.  The plan details are here https://webportal.columbiacountyfla.com/AlfrescoDownload.aspx?Site=BuildingAndZoning/BuildingPermits&NodeRef=6abd2930-76bb-458c-b7e3-fa71dc841a10

Do you know of any permits for Live Oak, FL?

On 10/23/2021 at 3:22 PM, 1dante said:

Do you know of any permits for Live Oak, FL?

Suwannee County doesn't post their permits online like Columbia County does.  However Sprint has numerous sites especially running down 129 in the middle part of the county where T-Mobile has none so I'd imagine they will be converting them.  If I get some time I might swing by the building department to see if they have any permits.  Some of the rural counties around here don't even require permits if they are just doing modifications.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:00 PM, jhman101 said:

Suwannee County doesn't post their permits online like Columbia County does.  However Sprint has numerous sites especially running down 129 in the middle part of the county where T-Mobile has none so I'd imagine they will be converting them.  If I get some time I might swing by the building department to see if they have any permits.  Some of the rural counties around here don't even require permits if they are just doing modifications.

Oh ok. Thanks for the information. I’ve connected to B2, B12, B71 since I’ve had the iPhone 13 Pro. I previously had an iPhone 8 Plus so I would only see B2 and 12 for the most part. Still haven’t seen any B66 in Live Oak. I did connect to N71 when out was out by the Walmart here. That’s probably because I-10 is right there. 

On 10/29/2021 at 7:07 AM, 1dante said:

Oh ok. Thanks for the information. I’ve connected to B2, B12, B71 since I’ve had the iPhone 13 Pro. I previously had an iPhone 8 Plus so I would only see B2 and 12 for the most part. Still haven’t seen any B66 in Live Oak. I did connect to N71 when out was out by the Walmart here. That’s probably because I-10 is right there. 

Live Oak huh? Small world. We stopped and visited friends there this summer on the way back from Florida.

Network Integration Progress Fuels Higher Merger Synergies

• Approximately 90% of Sprint customer traffic is now carried on the T-Mobile network
  • Approximately 53% of Sprint customers have been fully transitioned to the T-Mobile network
  • Raising 2021 merger synergies guidance for the third consecutive quarter
  • Like 4

Just came across a permit for another rural site that is being converted from Sprint to T-Mobile.  This site covers Interstate 75 and is taking their average tower spacing from 7 miles to just over 3 miles.  This is positive to see the site density that they are keeping with the Sprint sites.

Here are the details on the site https://webportal.columbiacountyfla.com/AlfrescoDownload.aspx?Site=BuildingAndZoning/BuildingPermits&NodeRef=40985554-0c57-478a-b3c7-91bdc66808b4

And just for comparison many of Sprint's sites in this area are 10+ miles apart.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, jhman101 said:

Just came across a permit for another rural site that is being converted from Sprint to T-Mobile.  This site covers Interstate 75 and is taking their average tower spacing from 7 miles to just over 3 miles.  This is positive to see the site density that they are keeping with the Sprint sites.

Here are the details on the site https://webportal.columbiacountyfla.com/AlfrescoDownload.aspx?Site=BuildingAndZoning/BuildingPermits&NodeRef=40985554-0c57-478a-b3c7-91bdc66808b4

And just for comparison many of Sprint's sites in this area are 10+ miles apart.

This is what I hoped they would do, although I consider along an interstate as separate from rural.  If they hope to keep Sprint customers who are used to the vast distance covered by 1x800, increased density is a must.

• Like 3

On 11/9/2021 at 5:01 PM, jhman101 said:

Whole bunch of cool stuff going on here! Great find!

• Ericsson deployment in what is traditionally a T-Mobile Nokia market
  • Dual-antenna deployment (no AIR32) and new RRUs! The 4460 still isn't that common, even for new deployments, and this is my first time seeing T-Mobile use the 4480 over the older 4449 for B12/B71
  • FFVV deployment (better lowband performance compared to the older FFHH)

13 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

I'm seeing so many dish towers in Marion County Fl. Has to be over 40 of them. Even rural.

Have any pictures, especially stand alone sites?

The secret to T-Mobile’s Ultra Capacity 5G – the 5G that delivers super-fast speeds to a lot of people – is mid-band 2.5 GHz spectrum. When other U.S. operators went all in on millimeter wave (mmWave), T-Mobile executed a multi-band spectrum strategy using low-band Extended Range to blanket the country and Ultra Capacity to bring fast 5G speeds to the maximum number of people – now covering 200 million (100x more people than Verizon’s Ultra Wideband) with plans to reach 300 million people (more than 90% of Americans) in the next two years.

They're moving quickly! I'm noticing the "5G UC" icon in more locations around the DC Area.

• Like 2

It's extra impressive considering that the merger was like a year and a half ago, at which point T-Mobile didn't own the spectrum.

Looks like the next milestone is YE23, by the end of which they hit another 100 million with mid-band.

Will be interesting to see what network enhancements happen in the mean time. Guessing the next one is an official announcement of NR CA, with a coverage bump from that for mid-band (might be enough to get them to 225MM with the existing network). Then n25 this summer, which will free up some NR CA capacity from n71. Oh, and VoNR.

• Like 7