Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

7 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Does ANYONE struggle with insufficient speeds? I give zero f-cks about the actual Mbps number. Does it hinder you at all , at any time? It doesn't me. It simply works. Is that so bad? And I'm on "just" 4G. Asking for a friend. 

I am on 4G most of the time also.  Our service is great.  We get everything we need and want out of our connection.

I remember the issues we had when Sprint converted towers to LTE.  Everyone was out chasing tower upgrades.  It was a mess for some people but we all got thru it.  And I for one, am glad we did.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Finally got n41 in my neighborhood, 100Mz nice and fast.

I just received it in my rural town of WI.  I'm a few miles down the road in a forested area, but having B71/N71 finally makes a world of difference.  Before I was roaming at random throughout my yard on you-name-it carriers/Sprint 1x but now have 10+mbps.

N41 is in town but appears backhaul has not been upgraded yet because speeds are no better than B2/66 before.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Does ANYONE struggle with insufficient speeds? I give zero f-cks about the actual Mbps number. Does it hinder you at all , at any time? It doesn't me. It simply works. Is that so bad? And I'm on "just" 4G. Asking for a friend. 

There are also a bunch of people here like me in my area where it keeps hopping cobtinually between multiple bands and  frequently also enters a "no signal" condition.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

There are areas where I know T-Mobile underperforms in NYC but generally my speeds are more than sufficient and I don't encounter issues with using my phone.

The only thing that worries me is that there are some areas where my phone will roam on Sprint's network to make up for T-Mobile's poorer performing network and I'm afraid that T-Mobile may just decommission those Sprint sites without integrating it into their own network, despite the enormous benefit integrating those sites would make.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Starting to see more and more mentions of n25and n66 in local permits:

I started seeing the same in some permits in Massachusetts. I wonder if they're planning on using DSS or just going all in and repurposing spectrum from LTE to devote to n25/66. 

In NYC they have two contiguous 25MHz chunks of AWS and PCS so using DSS could potentially be really beneficial to make use of all of that spectrum. Alternatively, they could just light up a standalone 5MHz n66 and n25 carrier here without sacrificing LTE performance and repurpose more spectrum from LTE as users move from LTE to 5G just like they did with HSPA and LTE.

2 hours ago, jreuschl said:

Why is there a separate channel for B25?  Will that be merged once Sprint LTE is completely turned off?

Some possibilities here...

The PCS G block will be converted to n25 when Sprint LTE is sunset. 

On 8/23/2021 at 5:20 PM, comintel said:

There are also a bunch of people here like me in my area where it keeps hopping cobtinually between multiple bands and  frequently also enters a "no signal" condition.

So in my experience, the crazy band hopping and frequent / brief "no data" episodes seem to be a market thing.  I spend most of my time in my home area in Fairfield County, CT, but I have an office in Manhattan where I go a few times a month.  I don't have a lot of time to use my phone when I'm in my city office, but I have never noticed the two (2) fundamental problems that I experience in CT all the time.  For instance, in using the NY Times app, in CT I get "device offline, try again" many times a day, but I have never seen that while using it in NYC.  

My overall simplistic take on this is that they rush to add 5G all over the country, but that is step 1.  Step 2 is to optimize it (logic on band selection, making sure there is appropriate backhaul, etc.).  I feel that they prioritize step 2 in the major cities but the suburbs and other areas have to wait until they get to it.  Would love to hear more about what is really happening.

I miss the good old days of Sprint tri-band LTE working for me like it was supposed to: 2500 while out on the street, changing to 1900 in a building at the perimeter and changing to 800 while deep inside a building in a windowless office or a basement.  

• Like 4

I expect 10x10 n25 to show up here once Sprint LTE goes offline. Maybe we'll see n66 as well but I'm actually seeing the 5x5 AWS-3 used more often now, so it might stay on LTE after all for a bit longer.

Thinking we won't see more than 10x10 on NR in 1900/2100 here for quite awhile; 20x20 B2 is too valuable to drop down, and the 25x25 PCS T-Mobile has here isn't contiguous with the bit of B25.

I was in a house earlier, I work with my brother in law doing handyman things, he has a one+ 5g or something along those lines. He had service all day, on my S21 Ultra I kept getting no service and then it would latch onto n71 SA 4 bars, if I wasn't using the phone no service. Something isn't right here. He has metro and I'm on a T-Mobile sim.

Edited by BlueAngel
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I was in a house earlier, I work with my brother in law doing handyman things, he has a one+ 5g or something along those lines. He had service all day, on my S21 Ultra I kept getting no service and then it would latch onto n71 SA 4 bars, if I wasn't using the phone no service. Something isn't right here. He has metro and I'm on a T-Mobile sim.

Try Samsung band selection app and lock to B71.   I don't get the no service intermittently like some but when at home i get the constant 2 second dropouts during phone calls while the phone is switching back and forth to different bands and its super annoying as I miss bits and pieces of the conversation.     Locking to B71 stops the voice call dropouts for me.    You have to lock to a band before initiating a call as the app will not lock to a particular band while on a volte call.   

3 hours ago, superbluepsd said:

Try Samsung band selection app and lock to B71.   I don't get the no service intermittently like some but when at home i get the constant 2 second dropouts during phone calls while the phone is switching back and forth to different bands and its super annoying as I miss bits and pieces of the conversation.     Locking to B71 stops the voice call dropouts for me.    You have to lock to a band before initiating a call as the app will not lock to a particular band while on a volte call.   

Agreed - that is what I do too - lock to band 71.

• Like 1

I'm thinking the constant band switching issue some are seeing may be more of a Samsung issue. Ever since my AT&T S20 Ultra received the August update yesterday its been doing the same thing. Constantly switching bands and even to different towers every 2-3 seconds, occasionally even showing no signal for up to 5 seconds as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdob07 said:

I'm thinking the constant band switching issue some are seeing may be more of a Samsung issue. Ever since my AT&T S20 Ultra received the August update yesterday its been doing the same thing. Constantly switching bands and even to different towers every 2-3 seconds, occasionally even showing no signal for up to 5 seconds as well. 

Definitely a samsung issue.

Today I’m my city I saw where Sprint and T-Mobile were on the same tower. T-Mobile came in and removed the Sprints equipment and the entire rack off the tower. First one I’ve seen so far. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Definitely a samsung issue.

It has been like this for me for the 18 months I have has my S20 with no change whatsoever.

I agree it seems to occur only with Samsungs.  Of course, that does not necessarily mean it is a Samsung bug.   Samsung might be implementing something correctly that certain vendor tower equipment is implementing incorrectly.

Edited by comintel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, comintel said:

It has been like this for me for the 18 months I have has my S20 with no change whatsoever.

I agree it seems to occur only with Samsungs.  Of course, that does not necessarily mean it is a Samsung bug.   Samsung might be implementing something correctly that certain vendor tower equipment is implementing incorrectly.

Yeah it happened with my S20 Ultra as well, but seems worse on my S21 Ultra.

1 hour ago, schmidtj said:

It's unfortunate that T-Mobile's lax security got them to this point, but it does appear that they've hired some of the best outside consultants to help them get to where they ought to be.  Let's hope they mean what they say here.

There's another security issue that needs tightening up, too... store employees are often all too willing to make changes to an account without properly checking ID or account PIN information.  That should become an immediately fireable offense.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, schmidtj said:

While hiring that company is nice, it should have never gotten to this point in the first place. What is this, like the 3rd time T-Mobile has been hacked. There was no need to keep customer info on their servers like that. Its bad practice as per the NSA general counsel mentioned a while back. While my account wasn't affected, whos to say the next time (and there will be a next time) that it won't be.

But as usual, all they get is a slap on the wrists and the customer has to deal with changing passwords, pins, locking credit cards etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, twospirits said:

While hiring that company is nice, it should have never gotten to this point in the first place. What is this, like the 3rd time T-Mobile has been hacked. There was no need to keep customer info on their servers like that. Its bad practice as per the NSA general counsel mentioned a while back. While my account wasn't affected, whos to say the next time (and there will be a next time) that it won't be.

But as usual, all they get is a slap on the wrists and the customer has to deal with changing passwords, pins, locking credit cards etc.

Agreed. I thought of the old adage “Fool me once shame on you …”. My Postpaid plan was not affected but my ancient but still active iPad Free 200mb for life plan was and I received notification.