Sprint VoLTE Discussion Thread Redux

Is there a reason for this? Are Essential Phones not VoLTE capable?

It needs the sprint volte profile to be loaded onto the device. Forcing VoLTE breaks the calling function unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, lilotimz said:

The essential phones does not use VoLTE. It's calling plus with no QOS.

This was verified by a help enthusiast who downloaded and used NSG.

Tim,

Do you know if the Moto X4 will get VoLTE?

VOLTE is working in So-Cal right now on Pixel 3 XL. It is not rootede51dd8672b06c683a51e6029624b4000.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Guess more testing is needed... Any updates recently?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, maxx880 said:

VOLTE is working in So-Cal right now on Pixel 3 XL. It is not rooted

Wonder if its VOLTE or calling plus like the Essential phone that also started working recently.

Wonder if its VOLTE or calling plus like the Essential phone that also started working recently.
My guess is VoLTE, since the Pixel has the correct profile for it. I'm finishing up a write-up on VoLTE vs Calling+ and the differences, including NSG screenshots to explain. But there's no way to really know for sure without NSG or connecting it to a computer running diagnostic software that can read modem engineering info.

• Like 2

when viewing the IMS status from the Phone Info menu, and it shows IMS Registration: Registered and then Voice Over LTE: Available, will it show available even for just calling plus?
https://imgur.com/a/jPQrNkH#yyfuCJY
I'm not sure, but maybe. Calling+ is sort of like a hack because Sprint didn't have the LTE layer ready yet. Calling+ is essentially wifi calling over LTE.

What you're seeing is probably an artifact of them repurposing the existing VoLTE interface in Android. They essentially removed the part that sets up a dedicated LTE interface for it. I can say with certainty though that as of the March update, the Essential phone is using Calling+ and not VoLTE.

Whenever Robert approves my write up it should help clear things up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Made a call earlier this afternoon and noticed the ringing sounded a bit different. Checked and the call was running VoLTE on my PH-1. Confirmed this with another call or two shortly thereafter. Double-confirmed since I was getting notifications in the background while on the call with WiFi turned off. Call was to someone roaming on VZW so I can't yet say whether HD voice can kick in.

• Like 1

Just called the echo line at 925-259-0082 and the call went over LTE and sounded markedly clearer than a standard call. Switched to VoWiFi and quality was similar there. Latency was comparable across both connections...maybe slightly better on LTE...which is impressive given that I can hit Sprint's speedtest server in <20ms from here on the connection that's providing WiFi.

Made a call earlier this afternoon and noticed the ringing sounded a bit different. Checked and the call was running VoLTE on my PH-1. Confirmed this with another call or two shortly thereafter. Double-confirmed since I was getting notifications in the background while on the call with WiFi turned off. Call was to someone roaming on VZW so I can't yet say whether HD voice can kick in.
Eph1 uses calling plus which uses the same codecs as Volte (amr/amr-wb 12.65/23.85).

4 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Eph1 uses calling plus which uses the same codecs as Volte (amr/amr-wb 12.65/23.85).

I don't have any Calling+ branding on this phone, and this just went live today...or within the past few days. Silly question, but which apps do I need to confirm, and do they need root?

1 hour ago, iansltx said:

Just called the echo line at 925-259-0082 and the call went over LTE and sounded markedly clearer than a standard call. Switched to VoWiFi and quality was similar there. Latency was comparable across both connections...maybe slightly better on LTE...which is impressive given that I can hit Sprint's speedtest server in <20ms from here on the connection that's providing WiFi.

What's an echo line? Sorry if I should know but I do not.  Thanks in advance.

I don't have any Calling+ branding on this phone, and this just went live today...or within the past few days. Silly question, but which apps do I need to confirm, and do they need root?
Root + NSG as it'll show you information from the modem info.

This was verified using that and the official internal Volte supported device list.

Probably old news as well, but I did see an LTE -> WiFi handoff for a call I was on earlier this evening.

EDIT: Apologies to folks on this thread for lack of reading-the-previous-posts-comprehension and combativeness about "I swear this is VoLTE".

21 hours ago, iansltx said:

this calling behavior went live on the essential phone a few weeks back, there are prior posts about it which sounds like you have found at this point.  However, starting about a week and a half ago, my essential no longer has this available so i am not sure if they disabled it for my area or what.

10 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

...and to what end?? It begs the question. I'm assuming to evaluate the quality of one's connection?

Your assumption is correct. That particular line supports HD voice, which is why I went with it.

• Like 1

So I figured out there is a way to check if a phone is using Calling+ or VoLTE without root. If engineering (not SCP) reports the PLMN as 310120, then it is not VoLTE. VoLTE only runs on 312530.

That being said, a phone can be on 312530 but not use VoLTE (Pixel 2 for example). So being on 312530 is not sufficient to say that it is using VoLTE, but being on 310120 IS sufficient to rule out VoLTE being used.

As for the "flag" Sprint uses to enable/disable it on supported devices, I suspect that they use the TAC. I think there is a hardcoded whitelist of TACs where it will be enabled. So they can change the TACs for a market to "enable" it, but by default it's "disabled". If this is the case, then Magic Box TACs are simply not whitelisted yet, even though it works fine on them. I've verified that VoLTE works on a Magic Box with at least the 440a firmware, and possibly earlier versions as well.

• Like 3

Is there a way to force the device to use a different PLMN? Maybe via chameleon (like on Samsung devices via ##omadm...need the engineering password though) or some other method?
000000 works for the msl password on the omadm menu. I was to afraid to change my S9 from Sprint Production though as i am unfamiliar with that menu.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk