Sprint VoLTE Discussion Thread Redux

2 hours ago, imex99 said:

And on another note, probably no S9/S9+ volte update until 2019 unless magic happens...... emoji1785.pngemoji15.pngemoji35.png

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Source for this claim? Sprint could include it in a monthly security update. The October update recently got released for some international S9/S9+ phones.

• Like 1

Source on this claim? Sprint could include it in a monthly security update. The October update recently got released for some international S9/S9+ phones.
Credible source internally, things could change but looking towards 2019.....Lilotimz can or should vouch for my source!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well I personally don't think the network is ready yet. So I couldn't care less. The more time to adjust band 26 and do some infill work, the better. I don't get why everyone wants VOLTE anyway when it's just going to lead to dropped calls and less quality than tried and proven, highly reliable CDMA calls. What is the great advantage with this besides the ability to use the internet while on a call (which can be done already on any phone when on Wi-Fi)?

• Like 1

Well I personally don't think the network is ready yet. So I couldn't care less. The more time to adjust band 26 and do some infill work, the better. I don't get why everyone wants VOLTE anyway when it's just going to lead to dropped calls and less quality than tried and proven, highly reliable CDMA calls. What is the great advantage with this besides the ability to use the internet while on a call (which can be done already on any phone when on Wi-Fi)?
Talk and surf. You can do it on all other Networks. That's a Hugh deal breaker for alot of people.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Talk and surf. You can do it on all other Networks. That's a Hugh deal breaker for alot of people.

Yes major deal breaker. My #1 reason why I would leave. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

For me it would be for them to shut down CDMA and open up more LTE channels.

• Like 2

For me it would be for them to shut down CDMA and open up more LTE channels.
I think that will happen. If the Merger happens it will on PCS right away. Sprint on there own would be longer. We need a 10x10 carrier in my area. Sprint is the only network with 2 5x5's on midband in my area. Tho vzw is 10x10 B2 so 2 5x5 is the Same download BW.

• Like 1

CDMA is overloaded and congested in many cities, to the point of being unusable. Especially as they've refarmed spectrum. Calls are practically useless for me in SF and Pittsburgh, with 25% of the call cutting out or robo garble. It's fine in more rural areas where there isn't congestion.

I've actually quit using my Sprint number and give out my Google Voice number for use in Hangouts or VoIP. It works well enough over LTE, and I can at least understand the other person. VoLTE can't come soon enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Are iPhones likely to be lumped in with the S9 crew for 2019?
Who knows. At one point Sprint tweeted that the new iPhones already have VOLTE

On 10/17/2018 at 11:15 AM, ingenium said:

CDMA is overloaded and congested in many cities, to the point of being unusable. Especially as they've refarmed spectrum. Calls are practically useless for me in SF and Pittsburgh, with 25% of the call cutting out or robo garble. It's fine in more rural areas where there isn't congestion.

I've actually quit using my Sprint number and give out my Google Voice number for use in Hangouts or VoIP. It works well enough over LTE, and I can at least understand the other person. VoLTE can't come soon enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CDMA data is certainly congested to point of being unusable, but 3G voice is something that I've never had trouble with.

I think the biggest push for Sprint is Verizon's shutdown of CDMA by in December of 2019.  If Sprint is still relying for 1x for voice without VoLTE, then they'll have serious trouble getting handset manufacturers to make a CDMA handset only for Sprint.  They might be in a position where the premier phones no longer support CDMA.  In 2018, Google Pixel and iPhone still contain CDMA chips, but what if that's not the case in 2019?

CDMA data is certainly congested to point of being unusable, but 3G voice is something that I've never had trouble with.  

I think the biggest push for Sprint is Verizon's shutdown of CDMA by in December of 2019.  If Sprint is still relying for 1x for voice without VoLTE, then they'll have serious trouble getting handset manufacturers to make a CDMA handset only for Sprint.  They might be in a position where the premier phones no longer support CDMA.  In 2018, Google Pixel and iPhone still contain CDMA chips, but what if that's not the case in 2019?

I think as long as other carriers like uscc and cspire still have CDMA it will not be a Hugh issue. Now if they do away with CDMA then yeah. Att covers enough to use there network for roaming. Just cause Sprint doesn't have much VOLTE on there network doesn't make any since that they can't use att or TMobiles.  

1 hour ago, crazy_vag said:

The CCA still has bargaining power so devices will still come out with CDMA. I think that one of the main issues is roaming. CDMA roaming revenue is going to decline as carriers begin deploying VoLTE and Sprint can gain roaming revenue from both CDMA and GSM carriers if they get VoLTE online. Verizon's impending CDMA shut down just hastened the inevitable.

They tune crap out baltimore and philly market crank up power on tower I'm getting very strong band 26 and 41 were I almost use drop in areas and faster speeds all around volts works great on my s8 plus.

On 10/17/2018 at 7:30 AM, Tengen31 said:

Yeah I addressed that. You CAN talk and surf. Wi-Fi. I mean I can't think of many places I go where there is not Wi-Fi, including this city bus I'm currently writing this on. But I just don't think the network on most places - including here in Atlanta - is anywhere near dense enough to offer a quality VOLTE experience, no matter how much you tweak band 26. And I also don't see why the average person, the vast majority of users, really, would truly have a need to surf and talk simultaneously. Other than being a "me, too" issue I really don't think it's that important. I'll take rock solid call performance over something not that necessary any day of the week. After all, these things are still called "phones" for a reason. 

Yeah I addressed that. You CAN talk and surf. Wi-Fi. I mean I can't think of many places I go where there is not Wi-Fi, including this city bus I'm currently writing this on. But I just don't think the network on most places - including here in Atlanta - is anywhere near dense enough to offer a quality VOLTE experience, no matter how much you tweak band 26. And I also don't see why the average person, the vast majority of users, really, would truly have a need to surf and talk simultaneously. Other than being a "me, too" issue I really don't think it's that important. I'll take rock solid call performance over something not that necessary any day of the week. After all, these things are still called "phones" for a reason. 
Accept most people ( not everyone) don't use public WiFi which you shouldn't do to hackers

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 1:06 PM, JonnygATL said:

Seriously?

WiFi is not a replacement.

Using Voice and data at the same time is very common. When you're in a store, speaking to your spouse about a product, sending pictures back and forth about what you're supposed to pick up, etc. That is VERY common.

CDMA voice calling is on the way out. VoLTE is better.

• Like 3

Yes, seriously. It's your opinion and I have mine. I don't need your permission for that. But pretty much any store I frequent I have the wifi credentials saved to my phone. It's quite easy and I can talk and surf most everywhere I go in this fashion (though I wouldn't care to, really). 

Also people need to stop stressing about always being connected 24/7. Enjoy the damn conversation and post ignorant selfies later.

4 minutes ago, burnout8488 said:

Yeah, public wi-fi is a no go, especially if you're walking or on transit of some sort. I don't have Wi-Fi at work and find myself screwed when I'm on speakerphone and need to look something up for the call I'm on.

Business reasons are the only reasons I could see for this being so seemingly very important. That makes sense. 

But I don't walk and stare at my phone. At least not after a certain spill I took while walking home from work one night while trying to text my (then) other half. 

I recommend others not walk and try to surf simultaneously, either. If your moving feet are involved, chances are your eyes should be as well. Nothing on Facebook or Twitter is that important. 

2 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Yes, seriously. It's your opinion and I have mine. I don't need your permission for that. But pretty much any store I frequent I have the wifi credentials saved to my phone. It's quite easy and I can talk and surf most everywhere I go in this fashion (though I wouldn't care to, really). 

Also people need to stop stressing about always being connected 24/7. Enjoy the damn conversation and post ignorant selfies later.

People pay for cell phones and service for a reason.

If we wanted just to use unreliable WiFI, we wouldn't pay for cell service.

WiFi in stores usually requires 'ok, agreeing to the conditions', every.... single.... time.

Not an option.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

People pay for cell phones and service for a reason.

If we wanted just to use unreliable WiFI, we wouldn't pay for cell service.

WiFi in stores usually requires 'ok, agreeing to the conditions', every.... single.... time.

Not an option.

On the same note

People pay for cell phones and service on other carriers for a reason.

If it is really important to you or anybody else Sprint, under normal circumstances, is not the best choice. On that note, I have a S9+ from Samsung which I configured to use "Calling Plus". It is a nice feature to have when I am not roaming in NYC, as I often do. I have been able to try T-Mobile roaming, and it works very well. I look forward to it being more wide spread.