SturgeonGeneral

Galaxy S9 Series user thread

While you were at the Sprint store you should have compared the Sprint S9 to see if speeds are different. See if this works. Dial ##data# go to view, LTE and go down to B25 TM9 and see if it's enabled or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I got better speeds with this one in Hartford South Dakota. That one is either congested or not enough Backhaul.d1ec349535cfa0bfa0b509484d7879a6.jpgfb8285d48e8a46b26e5eb37580e4ba6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What does band 41 PCII mean? See photo.

Screenshot_20180531-024849_IOTHiddenMenu.jpg

10 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

What does band 41 PCII mean? See photo.

Screenshot_20180531-024849_IOTHiddenMenu.jpg

We have asked this question alot and no one ever answers.

36 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

We have asked this question alot and no one ever answers.

I've never noticed that until last night. I'd definitely like to find out what it means though. 

I've never noticed that until last night. I'd definitely like to find out what it means though. 
Just found out. Its HPUE!

• Like 1

Awesome! 

That said, my s9+ has a very hard time connecting to my magic box while the s8+ here in the same apartment seems to connect the moment it's in range. Both obviously have all 3 bands and HPUE enabled so I guess that couldn't have anything to do with it. 

My 9+ connects to mine almost as soon as I pull up to my house unfortunately, I prefer my signal from the tower itself much faster and a lot lower ping.

6 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Awesome! 

That said, my s9+ has a very hard time connecting to my magic box while the s8+ here in the same apartment seems to connect the moment it's in range. Both obviously have all 3 bands and HPUE enabled so I guess that couldn't have anything to do with it. 

Do you see a major difference in b25 performance between the S8 and S9. Could you test that?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Terrell352 said:

Do you see a major difference in b25 performance between the S8 and S9. Could you test that?

S9+ is better in every aspect network and performance wise. I've had the 8+ as well.

Edited by BlueAngel

21 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

S9+ is better in every aspect network and performance wise. I've had the 8+ as well.

Just bought the unlocked S9+ today and I believe you. Boy oh boy do I believe you.

7 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Just bought the unlocked S9+ today and I believe you. Boy oh boy do I believe you.

Nice, now if only samsung could push out an update for it...

• Like 2

Nice, now if only samsung could push out an update for it...
I'm so used to not having updates I'm starting not to care.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

I'm so used to not having updates I'm starting not to care.

There are things that need fixing though, the last samsung phone I buy most likely.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

There are things that need fixing though, the last samsung phone I buy most likely.

What sort of issues exist? Last weekend I upgraded my wife's S7 Edge to the S9+ and she's very happy with it so far.  She used to drop calls 2-3 times during her short 10 min commute to work, now she holds on to her calls for the entire drive.  Happy wife, happy life, right? :)

19 minutes ago, bill875 said:

What sort of issues exist? Last weekend I upgraded my wife's S7 Edge to the S9+ and she's very happy with it so far.  She used to drop calls 2-3 times during her short 10 min commute to work, now she holds on to her calls for the entire drive.  Happy wife, happy life, right? :)

Black level bandings issues, and a few others I can't think of ATM. Hasn't been an update since before the launch date.

Just found out. Its HPUE!

Wow I've been wondering what that means also. So if I turned that off would I really notice a difference on B41?

Wow I've been wondering what that means also. So if I turned that off would I really notice a difference on B41?

On my S8+ I did lots of comparisons and found virtually no difference in speed and if anything coverage was a little better without HPUE. I have a S9+ as of today so I need to check but I can say the S9+ without question has better network performance than the S8+ across the board.

3 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

3 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

On my S8+ I did lots of comparisons and found virtually no difference in speed and if anything coverage was a little better without HPUE. I have a S9+ as of today so I need to check but I can say the S9+ without question has better network performance than the S8+ across the board.

HPUE would not affect speed at all. Remember it only really has an effect at edge of cell by boosting your outbound signal, allowing you to hold the signal longer than without HPUE. I can say without a doubt that HPUE helps me to hold a signal in weaker areas where previously I could not hold a B41 signal. 

• Like 1

HPUE would not affect speed at all. Remember it only really has an effect at edge of cell by boosting your outbound signal, allowing you to hold the signal longer than without HPUE. I can say without a doubt that HPUE helps me to hold a signal in weaker areas where previously I could not hold a B41 signal. 
I dont know what the problem is but that is not the case for the S8

On 6/1/2018 at 8:31 PM, bill875 said:

I've had a real struggle with auto-brightness always being wrong lately. My wife on her S9 has had this issue as well. Frustrating to say the least. That's really the only issue we've seen. The double notifications from things like Twitter are annoying but I'm used to them now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mmark27 said:

I've had a real struggle with auto-brightness always being wrong lately. My wife on her S9 has had this issue as well. Frustrating to say the least. That's really the only issue we've seen. The double notifications from things like Twitter are annoying but I'm used to them now. 

The phone definitely has a few bugs, like the auto brightness being way to slow to adjust, also my Android auto no longer auto connects. But for the most part, its the most stable Sammy I've ever owned.

On 6/2/2018 at 12:25 AM, Terrell352 said:

Interesting.  My boyfriend's S8+ gets great coverage in our place while my S9 + struggles to even get 1mbps. Really the reverse of what most are saying. And his phone LOVES our magic box. My phone and the MB are barely even on speaking terms.  Lol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mmark27 said:

Go to settings ---> display ---> tap auto brightness ---> reset usage patterns 

See if that helps 

• Like 1

Well holy shit look at this

10wuzoh.jpg

Installing now.

• Like 2

Well holy shit look at this
10wuzoh.jpg

Installing now.
Finally

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By S4GRU
      by Jeff Foster
      Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
      Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 7:46 PM MST

Since last fall, there had been talk of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus launching on American carriers other than Big Red. Sprint has finally announced several weeks ago that it is the another vendor slated for release in the U.S. Suffice to say, many of us out there, especially those adverse to heading to Verizon and paying its premium prices, are excited about the impending release.
      The good news is that Google could be working on an updated version of the Galaxy Nexus. It has unofficially been dubbed the Galaxy Nexus Plus. There is much anticipation that it will be released before Sprint turns on LTE this summer. It’s not the first time an OEM has refreshed a device and re-released it to the market place, which works to our advantage. It’s rumored that the new Galaxy Nexus will have either a 1.5 or 1.8 GHz Texas Instrument OMAP4670 dual core processor. This would be a significant upgrade from the 1.2 GHz dual core processor found in the current Verizon version.
      We don’t know anything about official specs, but it’s also rumored to have an 8 MP camera. This is a noteworthy upgrade to the 5 MP shooter on the Verizon model (which has been lauded by many techies). We already know that the Sprint model will come installed with Google Wallet, per previous announcements. Some rumors also point to a beefier battery as well. The phone should have all the other features that’s on the current Galaxy Nexus, so now all we have to do is wait.

Source: http://androidandme....era-on-the-way/
    • By danlodish345
      hello all i feel i should start a note 9 rumor thread  please post rumors and what not here.
    • By jreuschl
      Noticed on TM Reddit that the S8 Active is coming unlocked, so would be compatible with Sprint.
      (Also supports TM B71)
    • By Andrew Revering
      My original post was intended to just be a question about the upcoming S8's dual-sim possibility... however this thread ended up being the main S8/S8+ thread, so I'm modifying my original post to include some main points that we've gathered about the device and provide some useful resources:   Misc FYIs ------------------------------------ All MSLs appear to be 000000 To force band 41 only (thanks Terrell352): ##DATA# MSL 000000 then go to LTE and turn off b25 and b26. ##debug# works on this device (thanks nexgencpu)Cleaner way to look at carriers,CA and signal strength etc.. Want Root permissions? This will trip KNOX and you won't be able to use Samsung Pay or other KNOX features
      Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+
        Carrier/Dual Sim Info ------------------------------------ I have Sprint (obviously), but I have property where the only carrier is AT&T. FreedomPop now has a free AT&T SIM you can buy for limited voice, data & texting, which is perfect for my limited needs when I'm at my cabin. Converting the phone to a Dual-SIM phone then becomes convenient for me with the FreedomPop SIM + Sprint. With that in mind, here is some useful info (including a solution below):   See what frequencies/networks your phone supports: https://www.frequencycheck.com/ All networks are shipping the 'U' version which has support for all US networks but are software-locked. Once unlocked they will work on any US network. Dual Sim version not available in US or UK. The International Dual Sim model S8+ is SM-955FD. You can convert your single-sim US model into a dual sim by 1) unlocking and 2) add a $50 dual-sim adapter from magic-sim or simore (I bought the Simore one and it ripped before I could even try it once. They would not refund) If you are within a contract and/or didn't pay full price for your phone and don't want to wait, you can unlock your phone: https://theunlockr.com/unlock-my-phone/ usually for something like $20. Correction: These unlockers don't work for CDMA Sprint phones. You have to either buy an Unlocked phone or get Sprint to unlock it for you. Correction2: There is at least one guy who knows how to do it! See 'Solution' below. You can convert it into a Dual-SIM by adding one of these: http://www.magic-sim.com/ or http://www.simore.com/  (don't recommend simore, mine tore easily) I found a ---> SOLUTION <--  
      Charging/Cables
      ----------------------------- Info from mmark27   Remember only buy stuff that's been approved by Benson Leung, the Google Engineer that tests tons of USB-C items. You can search him on Amazon. USB-C crappy products can fry your phone and start fires.  From what I (mmark27) understand, the phones are only Quick Charge 2.0 compliant officially. They may pick up QC 4.0 compliance at some point as the chip supports it, but for now QC2.0 is the safe bet.  choetech fast charging pads don't work Seneo fast wireless charger do work micro-female to male USB-C USB-3.0 to USB-C Wireless charging pads that look just like the ones at Best Buy from Samsung Pleson fast charging pads work with S8 and S8+ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRXM473/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Kv5-ybKG6TSZP  
        Noteworthy Specs -------------------------------  
      Only difference between S8 and S8+ is screen size and battery size. Bezel free, all screen design No physical home button 5.8" & 6.2" Plus Version 'Infinity' QHD Amoled Display 12mp f1.7 rear, and 8mp f1.7 front cameras, auto focus Wifi Calling Dual Edge Only Display Bluetooth 5.0 for double speed and four times the range 3000mAH (S8) & 3500mAH (S8+) battery, fast charging 4 GB RAM Waterproof 64 GB built in storage Bixby Artificial Intelligence, dedicated button Iris Scanner Pressure Sensitive "3D" Touch home button Wireless Charging Can see screen with polarized glasses, unlike with LCD screens (HTC 10, etc) Always On Display PC Replacement (DEX) Fingerprint sensor on back DOES have a headphone jack USB Type C MicroSD Expansion HPUE compliant, which means it will extend existing signal range by 30%, including indoors!In my limited experience with the device, HPUE DOES work. Maybe it doesn't help speeds, I don't know -- but in 2 locations (in two different states) where I normally have no signal, I can now make phone calls and transfer data with a weak signal that I never had before.  

============================ORIGINAL POST=====================================

I'm planning to upgrade to the Galaxy S8 when it's available on April 21st...

I would really like a Dual SIM version and have Sprint as my primary carrier and use a FreedomPop ATT SIM as a 2nd option when I'm up at my land which is only covered by ATT.

After some research, it seems that the Dual SIM version is the 'International Unlocked' version which does not have the capability of CDMA/CDMA2000 for the 3G/1X portion of Sprint coverage. Since LTE is actually a GSM protocol it has the capability of doing Sprint's LTE, but other services may be limited.

Is this correct?

If so, that probably means I just want to buy the Sprint version and get one of those little dual sim adapters you can now get like this one: http://www.magic-sim.com/

Also, in order to use a SIM from a GSM provider, the phone needs to be unlocked, which outside of contract means I'd either have to wait 2 years, or just buy the full-price phone outright, and then get it unlocked.

Then I can use my ATT SIM, but again coverage may be limited because the radios are tuned for Sprint, not ATT. But I think it may be possible for some of their services to work.

... does this understanding sound correct? Is there another way I can go about what I'm trying to accomplish?

UPDATED:   --> SOLUTION <--
    • By lilotimz
      A new Samsung tablet certified for Sprint (and others) went through the FCC a few days ago..

Category 6 UE
      LTE Bands 2-4-5-12-25-26-41
      Carrier Aggregation capable for Downlink operations. 2xCA B41

Looks to be one of the bigger flagship tablets (~10" ?) and will be the 11th 2xB41 CA capable device to come to Sprint. 

• As you guys are all excited to find a 10mhz carrier, I found a small cell popping up in the storage room at my office. They replaced the power panel the other day and brought in fiber. Today they are putting the hole in the roof (and patching the leak around the boiler.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Yesterday evening I had a notification that I had an update to "Carrier Services" in the Google Play store.  Any idea what this might be for, given that Google doesnt exactly give great descriptions of these sort of things.  I figured it must be something vaguely Sprint related, but wanted to see if anyone here had any insights.   Thanks!
    • So, this thread isn't very active... How is the radio on this bad boy?  The 3 XL will be delivered on Wednesday, :D.  Wish it had VoLTE out of the box, here's to hoping it will at least get it 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞.
    • Here's AT&T Band 5 in Prince William County:  https://imgur.com/a/A6x70Xe I tried locking to Band 5 in other places a few times along the way and did not see any additional Band 5.  This site also has Band 14, on top of the displayed 17/2/4/30.  I wonder if it has Band 66 as well.  (Didn't think to check.) Couldn't get a good look at the antenna as it was getting dark and it was cloudy and I was on I-66.  Sorry. - Trip