Galaxy S9 Series user thread

SturgeonGeneral

Not on Sprint variant, blocked out....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You mean you can't even edit the APN?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The Hotspot hack still works on my Unlocked GS9+. I'm using it right now & typing from my Note 4 910C that's connected to the GS9+ hotspot.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Here's a hotspot guide from XDA that might work for you:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3763796

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got a chance to compare the GS9 against the V20's radio. 

Holy Jesus! The GS9+'s radio performance is in another stratosphere! 30-60% better speeds on average. Also holds onto B41 quite a bit more.

Bravo Samsung bravo!

• Like 6

One of the cool things about the unlocked devices is that they say LTE+ when they're connected to LTE Plus. I don't know what causes it to turn on but it isn't carrier aggregation alone because two aggregated 5x5 carriers still show up as "LTE". I think it may have to do with bandwidth on the download side.

• Like 1

One of the cool things about the unlocked devices is that they say LTE+ when they're connected to LTE Plus. I don't know what causes it to turn on but it isn't carrier aggregation alone because two aggregated 5x5 carriers still show up as "LTE". I think it may have to do with bandwidth on the download side.

I wonder if 15mhz b25 would trigger it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

I wonder if 15mhz b25 would trigger it?

I don't think it would trigger it on it's own. If it were aggregated with another carrier, then maybe.

Also a testament to how good HPUE is on this device, my phone bounces between Band 41 and Band 26 in my house, skipping Band 25 entirely.

That's awesome. I think I'm going to hold out or wait til next year for a 5G device. There's barely any b41 in my city and 4x4 mimo, 256 qam is not a thing yet. I'm just waiting for 15mhz of b25 at this point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terrell352 said:

That's awesome. I think I'm going to hold out or wait til next year for a 5G device. There's barely any b41 in my city and 4x4 mimo, 256 qam is not a thing yet. I'm just waiting for 15mhz of b25 at this point.

Wait it out. I see no differences between the S8+ and S9+ in RF performance. All locations I hold on B41 on S8+ with same results on S9+.  S8+ became great on Oreo for sure though. 

Wait it out. I see no differences between the S8+ and S9+ in RF performance. All locations I hold on B41 on S8+ with same results on S9+.  S8+ became great on Oreo for sure though. 
Why is everyone else saying the S9 has better performance than the S8 then?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Why is everyone else saying the S9 has better performance than the S8 then?

In my opinion I don't think so. Maybe they comparing it pre Oreo? If it is the Oreo build, the S8 has similar characteristics. It loves B41 too.

Anybody have trouble setting up the rich communication settings on their S9 through the stock messaging app? On my wife's, I have it enabled, but she never gets the confirmation text saying it's enabled. Works just fine on my S8.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anybody have trouble setting up the rich communication settings on their S9 through the stock messaging app? On my wife's, I have it enabled, but she never gets the confirmation text saying it's enabled. Works just fine on my S8.

I never got a confirmation text on my Pixel 1 or 2. Just the app saying it's enabled.

In my experience it takes about 2 days after activation for RCS to be able to be turned on. Before that time it fails for some reason. Also, if you previously had the same SIM active with a different Sprint line in that phone (ie, you swapped the phone to a different line on your account without also swapping the SIM), sometimes that blocks RCS indefinitely. The fix is swapping the SIM temporarily, then swapping back. That seems to reset RCS config.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I never got a confirmation text on my Pixel 1 or 2. Just the app saying it's enabled.

In my experience it takes about 2 days after activation for RCS to be able to be turned on. Before that time it fails for some reason. Also, if you previously had the same SIM active with a different Sprint line in that phone (ie, you swapped the phone to a different line on your account without also swapping the SIM), sometimes that blocks RCS indefinitely. The fix is swapping the SIM temporarily, then swapping back. That seems to reset RCS config.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

She upgraded from an S7 to an S9. New phone with new sim on the same line. My stupid s8 sends me the confirmation text everytime I reboot, lol. It's been a few days now for her phone. Not sure why it's not working.

7 minutes ago, travisc said:

She upgraded from an S7 to an S9. New phone with new sim on the same line. My stupid s8 sends me the confirmation text everytime I reboot, lol. It's been a few days now for her phone. Not sure why it's not working.

Hmm. Maybe try swapping in the SIM from her S7 (or preferably another carrier if possible). Not sure if the phone being carrier locked will affect things. Like I said, sometimes the RCS data gets corrupted or something, and I tried clearing data for a lot of system and nonsystem apps to fix it, but the only way I got it resolved and force a refresh was putting in a different SIM (in my case an AT&T Freedompop SIM and a no longer active Indonesian SIM worked). 

Sprint's RCS framework is still kind of flaky in my experience. It will randomly stop working for me and require a reboot. The same thing happens with family members with different devices.

I feel like you receiving a notification after every reboot isn't normal. You can try switching to Google Messenger and see if that fixes the issues on either of your devices.

3 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

I'll wait for the note 9 or the S10 because of my area there's no 256-qam and three carrier aggregation is not even the thing here yet. So I will wait another year or two before it getting another Samsung device.

Hmm. Maybe try swapping in the SIM from her S7 (or preferably another carrier if possible). Not sure if the phone being carrier locked will affect things. Like I said, sometimes the RCS data gets corrupted or something, and I tried clearing data for a lot of system and nonsystem apps to fix it, but the only way I got it resolved and force a refresh was putting in a different SIM (in my case an AT&T Freedompop SIM and a no longer active Indonesian SIM worked). 
Sprint's RCS framework is still kind of flaky in my experience. It will randomly stop working for me and require a reboot. The same thing happens with family members with different devices.
I feel like you receiving a notification after every reboot isn't normal. You can try switching to Google Messenger and see if that fixes the issues on either of your devices.
Thanks, I'll give those a try. Can't try out her s7 sim as that had to get sent back to Sprint. I'll see if I have something else lying around to try.

8 hours ago, travisc said:

Worked as soon as the phone was done setting up.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:49 AM, bucdenny said:

Holding on to B41 is one thing, but the actual LTE performance difference between GS9 and the four other phones I compared it to is quite impressive. 

Compared it to V20, Pixel 2, Note 5 and Note 8

The peak speeds this device hits are sometimes 2x compared to these other devices. At one point I thought that 4x4MIMO might be enabled, but since the uploads are unchanged, I came to the conclusion that the device's radio is just that awesome!

Heeeey guys, got my S9+ today. subbing on this thread. Pretty nice phone. Snaps some nice pics. Otherwise very much like the S8+ as far as my 8 hours could tell. Picking up my wife's S9 regular tomorrow. 

Heeeey guys, got my S9+ today. subbing on this thread. Pretty nice phone. Snaps some nice pics. Otherwise very much like the S8+ as far as my 8 hours could tell. Picking up my wife's S9 regular tomorrow. 
I also have S 9 +. Did you try the low-light pictures yet?