SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

4 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Just saw them! Went ahead and located the ones you mapped.

I also confirmed that AT&T is using 1024 cells per site. 

You were damn fast, I had just got home and went to go map them and boom they were almost all done. 

4 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Yep it does!

Fiercewireless was just saying neither Verizon or AT&T has a standalone core, but were waiting for C band iirc.  Your report is likely a first.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Fiercewireless was just saying neither Verizon or AT&T has a standalone core, but were waiting for C band iirc.  Your report is likely a first.

Huh, interesting. Never expected to be a first in something like that. Someone in Michigan mapped a bunch of n78 but nothing else. I guess I'm the first showing they are at least broadcasting n2/n5/n66-SA, even if you can't fully connect to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Huh, interesting. Never expected to be a first in something like that. Someone in Michigan mapped a bunch of n78 but nothing else. I guess I'm the first showing they are at least broadcasting n2/n5/n66-SA, even if you can't fully connect to it.

Lucky! I just get "No Service" when I try to force anything SA on my AT&T phone. Hopefully it's a sign it's coming soon though!

2 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

I’ve grabbed a good bit of SA on my AT&T iPhone SIM to date, although it’s not fully integrated into the SignalCheck DB yet…

• Like 1

Is this what "Connecting..." looks like now?

https://imgur.com/a/wBxnZpt

One of my phones this morning went from "Connected to LTE" to just "LTE" and I can definitely live with that.  It also logged a new sector while showing that.

Thanks!

EDIT:  Immediately after upgrade, one of my other E5 Plays opened with "LTE" in the corner but the notification icon was just showing "--", even though the rest of the data has populated.  Toggling Airplane Mode resolved it.

- Trip

1 hour ago, Trip said:

One of my phones this morning went from "Connected to LTE" to just "LTE" and I can definitely live with that.  It also logged a new sector while showing that.

This is a result of the change I mentioned above, sparked by @PedroDaGr8 trying to log AT&T cells with a non-AT&T SIM that was reporting "out of service" but still capturing cell info. For the moment (subject to change as I keep testing and getting feedback), the "Connecting to" prefix will disappear when you connect in a scenario like that. I may adjust it to show a special prefix like "Limited LTE" or "No Data LTE" to make it more clear what is going on, but I also need to make sure that's only appearing at the proper times. When you were seeing just "LTE" in your screenshots, was there anything unusual about your connection? I see the app indicated you couldn't make calls; could you transfer data? Can you send a diagnostic report next time you see that?

1 hour ago, Trip said:

Immediately after upgrade, one of my other E5 Plays opened with "LTE" in the corner but the notification icon was just showing "--", even though the rest of the data has populated.  Toggling Airplane Mode resolved it.

I'm seeing this more frequently, unfortunately -- it has something to do with Android's power saving efforts I believe. Was the app in the foreground when it happened? When the screen updates, the notification and home screen widget are also updated -- but as seen with the widget for the past couple of years, Android doesn't always execute the update. I'm constantly trying to find ways around these limitations, since the app is useless if it's displaying stale data.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 11:00 AM, mikejeep said:

This is a result of the change I mentioned above, sparked by @PedroDaGr8 trying to log AT&T cells with a non-AT&T SIM that was reporting "out of service" but still capturing cell info. For the moment (subject to change as I keep testing and getting feedback), the "Connecting to" prefix will disappear when you connect in a scenario like that. I may adjust it to show a special prefix like "Limited LTE" or "No Data LTE" to make it more clear what is going on, but I also need to make sure that's only appearing at the proper times. When you were seeing just "LTE" in your screenshots, was there anything unusual about your connection? I see the app indicated you couldn't make calls; could you transfer data? Can you send a diagnostic report next time you see that?

I'm seeing this more frequently, unfortunately -- it has something to do with Android's power saving efforts I believe. Was the app in the foreground when it happened? When the screen updates, the notification and home screen widget are also updated -- but as seen with the widget for the past couple of years, Android doesn't always execute the update. I'm constantly trying to find ways around these limitations, since the app is useless if it's displaying stale data.

I sometimes have a similar problem, you may recall.  Some of my unactivated phones occasionally go to "Connecting..." and then stop logging, particularly after I do an in-app connection reset, or the phone goes to no service and comes back out.  (Trails keep recording, though.)  This seems to have fixed that issue, at least as far as I can tell; it now goes to "LTE" but keeps on logging.

Can't really tell if data passes or not without service on the device.  But yes, I can try to prepare a diagnostic to send when I get back on wifi.

To the notification, I haven't seen the issue since that initial attempt.  The device I saw it on is on Android 8, so it shouldn't be impacted by the more recent changes.  If I see it again, I'll prepare a diagnostic for you.

- Trip

• Like 1

Another SCP beta is rolling out now.. band identification has been improved for both LTE and 5G-NR on newer devices (including C-band n77/n78). Also adjusted the plain new "<connection type>" field to now display as "Restricted <connection type>" to help communicate that the mobile connection might not be fully in service. Fully active connections will continue to display "Connected to <connection type>".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thisischuck01 said:

SA n41 is being recognized as SA n38 in the latest SCP beta. gNB 1327777 on the map.

Can you send a diagnostic report next time you see that? Was it reporting n41 before this version? Thanks.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:32 AM, mikejeep said:

Can you send a diagnostic report next time you see that? Was it reporting n41 before this version? Thanks.

I don't believe I've recorded n41 SA or n41+n71 SA (with n41 as the PCC) with SCP before, so unfortunately I'm not sure. Can definitely send diagnostics the next time I'm over there, though!

Pulling in n78 in Columbus on Verizon rather than n77. This version of SCP was from Jan 24. 303/31 @-100db. Will retest soon.

A new SignalCheck beta release is rolling out now, version 4.691b. It resolves the missing web upload usernames and should fix some LTE and NR band identification issues. Please update and see if recent issues have been resolved! Thanks.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:22 PM, thisischuck01 said:

SA n41 is being recognized as SA n38 in the latest SCP beta. gNB 1327777 on the map.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:44 PM, dkyeager said:

Pulling in n78 in Columbus on Verizon rather than n77. This version of SCP was from Jan 24. 303/31 @-100db. Will retest soon.

How is the latest beta (4.691b) from over the weekend handling these scenarios.. are they resolved?

11 hours ago, mikejeep said:

How is the latest beta (4.691b) from over the weekend handling these scenarios.. are they resolved?

I will have to keep you know. Getting n77 consistently is an issue, even when restricting my bands to 2, 66, and n77. Trying it with s21 ultra and A32 5g both factory unlocked.

The Verizon coverage maps remind me of Sprint's: more asperational than reality. So far I am the only one with n77 trails in Columbus on cellmapper.net. Using US Mobile which officially supports n77 and is supposed to be at full priority and Red Pocket which does not officially support 5g yet but I certainly get it, thus I can not rule out that it is a priority issue, but the possible sites are thinly spaced.

Edited by dkyeager
clarity

Another SCP beta is rolling out now -- bug fixes and a new Beta Crew option to display your pending web upload points on the main screen, updated every time your screen refreshes. Click on the number and an upload is triggered!

• Like 2

Mike,

Just in case you didn't see my e-mail, I wanted to flag to you that I sent you diagnostics this morning for two crashes I had within a four minute period but have otherwise been unable to reproduce.  If you need more from me, let me know.

- Trip

37 minutes ago, Trip said:

Just in case you didn't see my e-mail, I wanted to flag to you that I sent you diagnostics this morning for two crashes I had within a four minute period but have otherwise been unable to reproduce.  If you need more from me, let me know.

Thanks -- unfortunately that is an Android bug introduced in Android 10 and resolved in Android 11 that has no known workaround. I have thousands of identical errors logged.. it drives me crazy. Wish I could do something about it, but I have yet to figure out a way. Here's the issue tracker entry if you're curious: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/141438333

12 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Thanks -- unfortunately that is an Android bug introduced in Android 10 and resolved in Android 11 that has no known workaround. I have thousands of identical errors logged.. it drives me crazy. Wish I could do something about it, but I have yet to figure out a way. Here's the issue tracker entry if you're curious: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/141438333

That's interesting, since it's the first time I've ever seen this issue on any of my devices.

EDIT: Thinking about it, my G8X might be my only Android 10 device.  But it's been on Android 10 for a long time and I've never had this issue before.

- Trip

4 minutes ago, Trip said:

That's interesting, since it's the first time I've ever seen this issue on any of my devices.

I have never been able to duplicate it, and it seems to be rather random. It's something at the OS level.