SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

19 hours ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Guess my 5G reporting days are over for a while soon. Doesn't sound like you ever got much of anything useful from my V50 anyway. Are Samsung devices where you are getting the most info? I'm not sure what my next device will be.. the S20 does not excite me much, and I'm not crazy about the curved screen on the OnePlus 8.

Also a question - the accent color does not show when I'm forced down to 1X or EVDO. It did show right away when I was on LTE and enabled it.

No, unfortunately I haven't seen any useful 5G info from your phone (or anyone else's LG) yet. If you get a software update and happen to find 5G before they shut it down, please try reporting again!

The accent color is still in its infancy and only appears on LTE for now. I've had it on my version of SCP for several weeks, initially I didn't think anyone else would like it. Figured I'd offer it up and see what the feedback was.

• Like 1

Another beta update to SignalCheck Pro is rolling out! Version 4.614b will appear on Google Play sometime over the next several hours. More 5G improvements, the accent color should be fixed, and several Samsung shortcut menus were added. Samsung users, please try all of the new shortcuts and let me know which ones are useful and what they lead to. Thank you!

• Like 2

With the new update Samsung Band Test1 brings up "NETWORK" menu(?).  I can get into the Band Selection by clicking the menu button in the top left. I have never used Band Selection menu before but that is what it says in the top center.

I saw there were 7 different options I just figured I would let you know which seemed to work for me. No 5G in my area so I can't really test that part of the beta.

• Like 1

Both prior accent issues now solved! Thanks

Nice feature.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Another beta update to SignalCheck Pro is rolling out! Version 4.614b will appear on Google Play sometime over the next several hours. More 5G improvements, the accent color should be fixed, and several Samsung shortcut menus were added. Samsung users, please try all of the new shortcuts and let me know which ones are useful and what they lead to. Thank you!

Going through the full list of shortcuts on my S20 Ultra:

• Battery Info - "Battery info isn't available on this device."
  • Data/EPST - "Data/EPST info may not be available on this device."
  • Debug/Engineering - "Debug/Engineering screens may not be available on this device."
  • Mobile Networks - "Mobile Network settings not available on this device."
  • Radio Info - Does work.
  • Samsung Band Test1 - Does work.
  • Samsung Band Test2 - "Band selector not available on this device."
  • Samsung Band Test3 - "Band selector not available on this device."
  • Samsung Band Test4 - "Band selector not available on this device."
  • Samsung Band Test5 - "Band selector not available on this device."
  • Samsung Band Test6 - "Band selector not available on this device."
  • Samsung Band Test7 - "Band selector not available on this device."
  • Samsung Hidden Menu - ""Hidden Menu: Permission Denied"
  • Voice Band Menu - Does work.
  • WiFi Info - "WiFi info not available on this device."

I know the ##33284# was unique to Sprint branded phones in my experience, the dialer code for the Service Mode screen on Samsung is *#0011#, not sure if you want to point the Samsung shortcut to that instead now. *#0011# works on most Samsung phones, the exception being some Verizon versions. 

On another note, the accent color is working on both my phones on the newest update. I've also noticed the stale 5G info does seem to clear after awhile, but I'm not sure how long that takes. An airplane mode cycle also clears it. 

• Like 2

On 5/31/2020 at 11:37 PM, mdob07 said:

I know the ##33284# was unique to Sprint branded phones in my experience, the dialer code for the Service Mode screen on Samsung is *#0011#, not sure if you want to point the Samsung shortcut to that instead now. *#0011# works on most Samsung phones, the exception being some Verizon versions.

SignalCheck does not currently use either one of those codes, I have another method in place that is slightly different.. although maybe if my method fails, it should try those as a backup.. (EDIT: I forgot.. newer versions of Android no longer permit apps to make direct shortcuts to dialer codes.)

On another note, the accent color is working on both my phones on the newest update. I've also noticed the stale 5G info does seem to clear after awhile, but I'm not sure how long that takes. An airplane mode cycle also clears it. 

Working on the stale info -- thanks for your diagnostics! I'm flying blind without you guys sending me data, so I sincerely appreciate it! Once it's reliable, I'll move it into its own "block" like the other connection types, and add full logging/alerts/icons/etc. We're slowly getting there.

Unrelated note.. thank you to @S4GRU for the LG V60 reports tonight.. after a software update, it's now reporting 5G info in SCP as well! Hopefully more devices follow suit..

• Like 2

Another SignalCheck beta update rolling out now, should be available when "normal" people start waking up! Mostly more 5G fixes.. stale data, missing values, ugly text, etc. Please keep those relevant diagnostic reports coming, it is a huge help as I do not have a 5G device yet.

• Like 3

By diving into code, you might be one of the most normal people around in these real world crazy times. Hopefully signal info gets more stable once SA rolls out later in this year.  Thank you much for your efforts and keep the changes coming.

• Like 3

Another SignalCheck beta update rolling out now, should be available when "normal" people start waking up! Mostly more 5G fixes.. stale data, missing values, ugly text, etc. Please keep those relevant diagnostic reports coming, it is a huge help as I do not have a 5G device yet.
I'm not seeing any frequency info on my T-mobile phone, but the stale data issue appears fixed. When I force it to B12 the 5G info disappears immediately. I can't test on my AT&T phone ATM, it appears they are working on my home site again and all I'm getting from it right now is B12. Sent a diagnostic report from my T-mobile phone and will send one from my AT&T phone once I get an NR connection on it.06d5e2dbe1ebe9078c3c2b21cf0afde5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I sent several diagnostic reports from the LG G4 where the LTE 2500 was showing for T-Mobile. Is also worked as design just showing LTE. My guess is 50% there. Thanks

• Thanks 1

Mike,

I don't know if it's related to the beta or not, but I got a new Moto E5 Play for US Cellular and everything seemed to be good with it.  But I went on a several hour drive today, and when I got home, I found that the log had recorded nothing.  No updates on existing rows, and no new rows.  I checked and the logger is enabled, etc., and I've gone so far as to factory reset the phone and it's still not logging anything. 

I sent you diagnostics in case you see something I don't.  I am able to import and export log databases without issue, but it doesn't seem to want to actually write anything to the internal one.

- Trip

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Trip said:

Mike,

I don't know if it's related to the beta or not, but I got a new Moto E5 Play for US Cellular and everything seemed to be good with it.  But I went on a several hour drive today, and when I got home, I found that the log had recorded nothing.  No updates on existing rows, and no new rows.  I checked and the logger is enabled, etc., and I've gone so far as to factory reset the phone and it's still not logging anything. 

I sent you diagnostics in case you see something I don't.  I am able to import and export log databases without issue, but it doesn't seem to want to actually write anything to the internal one.

- Trip

I had this issue when I purchased a Moto Z2 Force.  I uploaded my log file immediately after activating and installing SCP from my previous phone.  Drove me nuts.  What I finally did to solve the problem...I had to disable the logger, reboot, re-enable the logger, reboot and then it worked.

Robert

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Trip said:

I checked out your report; it all looks good, nothing to indicate that logging might not work. These logging glitches are very odd and difficult to reproduce across devices sometimes, and it drives me mad. As Robert mentioned before me, his Motorola had similar issues. I couldn't find anything wrong on my end but a couple of reboots did the trick. I have no idea how or why that would fix anything, but please give his suggestion a try and let me know..

4 hours ago, S4GRU said:

I had this issue when I purchased a Moto Z2 Force.  I uploaded my log file immediately after activating and installing SCP from my previous phone.  Drove me nuts.  What I finally did to solve the problem...I had to disable the logger, reboot, re-enable the logger, reboot and then it worked.

Robert

3 hours ago, mikejeep said:

I checked out your report; it all looks good, nothing to indicate that logging might not work. These logging glitches are very odd and difficult to reproduce across devices sometimes, and it drives me mad. As Robert mentioned before me, his Motorola had similar issues. I couldn't find anything wrong on my end but a couple of reboots did the trick. I have no idea how or why that would fix anything, but please give his suggestion a try and let me know..

Alright, I'm trying it out.  So far, following Robert's procedure still resulted in no logging.  Trying a few more variations on it with more reboots.  I'm assuming random chance, rather than a specific procedure, will start the logging.

I've actually had another weird database issue lately.  I use SQLiteStudio to manage my data, and for my G8X (Android 9), when I dump out the database, I have to run a "vacuum" operation on it in order to make it save properly after editing, rather than just committing the data.  If I merely commit and send it back to the phone, the import appears to work, but none of my rows get updated.  It's only that particular one; my other phones (Android 8 for all of them) do not have that problem, and I have Sprint and US Cellular in the same database which gets shared between the two phones.  If it wasn't for Robert's similar experience, I'd wonder if it wasn't a coincidence, and whether Android 9 has upgraded SQLite somehow and the two aren't entirely compatible anymore.  The vacuum operation shrinks the size of my .db file from 5.8MB to 5.2MB, but if I dump it out again immediately after importing on my G8X, it dumps at 5.8MB.  But on my new US Cellular Moto E5 Play, when I dump it back out, it's still 5.2MB with nothing having changed, as if it were being treated as read-only, except that if I change a note within the app, it does actually update in the dumped database file without updating the last_time field.  :confused:

All of my new E5 Play phones are rooted; if there's any operation I can do as root that might be helpful either in tracking it down or fixing it, let me know.

=====

Separately, I'm loving the "accent" option.  Very useful.  Two comments though.  1)  Can you set the yellow accent for Shentel?  It doesn't seem to show any accent at all when set to Shentel.  2)  Can you have it follow the PLMN rather than the provider name?  I am still having that issue where, for example, connecting to US Cellular B5 sometimes calls it Sprint B5 or Shentel B5.  So I might get the yellow accent when the PLMN clearly shows I'm on US Cellular.

You can actually sort of see both issues at once here; it says I'm connected to Shentel B5 rather than US Cellular B5, and also is not showing an accent.  https://imgur.com/a/28YwFfo

Also, two additional questions:  1) Are you using the same blue shade for AT&T and US Cellular?  They certainly look similar to me, and Sprint can currently roam on both.  Despite the corporate color of US Cellular being a shade of blue, I always use green for US Cellular since it's largely in more rural areas and green makes it a lot easier to distinguish from AT&T.  2)  Can you add cyan and magenta as text color options?  Because I now carry a phone for each carrier, and four of them are Moto E5 Play phones, having the colors for the text might be a way to help tell them apart at a glance easier.  But there's no magenta for T-Mobile, and the current blue option which I would use for AT&T is way too dark.  I think the red feels too dark as well, but I'm not sure what to do about that.

- Trip

• Like 1

I'm trying a few different things this morning.  Apparently, Android 9 changed the default "journal mode" from "delete" to "wal".  I can see that discrepancy when comparing my G8X log file to, for example, my Verizon one.  So I manually set the journal mode to delete on my G8X file and sent it to the US Cellular phone.

Now, it appears as though the CDMA is logging, but not the LTE.  (I can't be sure it's not coincidental, either.)  I have 7:22AM last_time values for Cullen East and Phenix on CDMA, but I went so far as to remove the sector for the Cullen East LTE entry I'm connected to, and nothing has been written in its place.

- Trip

Edited by Trip
Clarified LTE issue.

I tried renaming and saving the LTE entry for the row I removed and it saves without populating the timestamps or coordinates.  I really don't know what to make of this.

- Trip

I wonder if it's a permission issue somehow? Perhaps even an selinux permission not getting set properly on one of the database files internally. Not much that the app can do about that though.

Have you tried wiping data for SCP, uninstalling, reinstalling (wiping I think will prevent a cloud backup from getting restored?), and then importing again?

Since you have root, you can go into the SCP data directory and check the Linux permissions, ownership, and selinux contexts/permissions to make sure everything matches.

Another possibility is that the copy of sqlite on that device is buggy or something. But I'm not sure if anything can be done about that other than statically linking sqlite in SCP so that it's consistent across devices.

1 hour ago, ingenium said:

Have you tried wiping data for SCP, uninstalling, reinstalling (wiping I think will prevent a cloud backup from getting restored?), and then importing again?

Now that you mention this, I do think I uninstalled and reinstalled and wiped too.  It's been so long.  :idea:

Robert

Thanks for the suggestions but, um, it fixed itself while on the road.  Really.

https://imgur.com/a/SJZzQXT

This is the appropriate part of the database on my new US Cellular phone.  I really wanted to capture the new data on Band 66 (and changed Band 5) GCIs in Farmville, so what I did was while I was connected to each sector before leaving US Cellular land today, I opened the note text and hit "Save".  It looks like when it connected to T-Mobile LTE, it started logging and didn't stop, but you can see all the data that was missing when I saved the notes prior. 

- Trip

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Trip said:

2)  Can you add cyan and magenta as text color options?  Because I now carry a phone for each carrier, and four of them are Moto E5 Play phones, having the colors for the text might be a way to help tell them apart at a glance easier.  But there's no magenta for T-Mobile, and the current blue option which I would use for AT&T is way too dark.  I think the red feels too dark as well, but I'm not sure what to do about that.

- Trip

Having used the green on my US Cellular phone today, I feel that is too dark as well, particularly when on the road with bright sunshine.  How hard would it be to allow the entry of custom colors?  I'd love to be able to make it just off-white enough to tint it.

- Trip

• Like 2

Trip, glad it started working (wish we knew why/how.. grr) and thank you for the suggestions about the accent color. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback and other similar suggestions.. honestly it caught me by surprise. I added the coloring on my personal version but didn't think it would be well-received so I kept it out of releases. I will expand it more and try to add as many options as I can get working!

• Like 2

With the LG V60 update that now allows SCP to see some 5G NR information has somehow caused the 5G NR Engineering screen to no longer populate any data.  None.  LTE, WCDMA and GSM Engineering screens work fine.  5G NR Engineering now is all blank.  Good thing SCP now shows some data, or I'd have no data at all.  And Cellmapper is no longer showing my 5G NR trails either.

One step forward, two steps back.

Robert

• Sad 1

On 6/8/2020 at 5:57 AM, mikejeep said:

Trip, glad it started working (wish we knew why/how.. grr) and thank you for the suggestions about the accent color. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback and other similar suggestions.. honestly it caught me by surprise. I added the coloring on my personal version but didn't think it would be well-received so I kept it out of releases. I will expand it more and try to add as many options as I can get working!

Maybe use dashed lines for regional carriers or double underline, etc

Not sure when it started, but I noticed yesterday that my home screen widget for SCP stopped working.  It was frozen on old values, but would still bring up SCP if I tapped it.  I then removed it from my home screen and added it again, and now it says that SCP is not running and tapping it does not open SCP.

- Trip

question.. and I apologize if its posted somewhere else..

Now I gotta go through and make new notes in SCP right??  The sprint tower IDs will be removed?? once all the switch over is done?

(damn I feel like a kid again when the LTE deployment was going, and tracking tower upgrades)