SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

1 minute ago, ingenium said:

I have this issue as well (just shows 1x in my case), but it populates once I turn off wifi. I see you're on wifi in your screenshot. Does it work when you turn it off?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hmm odd, yes I turned off WiFi and it populated instantly...

3 hours ago, JossMan said:

Mike how have you been?  Its been awhile!  Anyway one of the last updates has borked SCP, I do not get any LTE info and it takes a few trys of reopening the app to get it to work.  Background services and location are all enabled as I haven't messed with any settings, is this a known issue?

3 hours ago, ingenium said:

I have this issue as well (just shows 1x in my case), but it populates once I turn off wifi. I see you're on wifi in your screenshot. Does it work when you turn it off?

I wasn't aware of this one.. when did it start? Are you both on the latest beta (4.592b)?

I wasn't aware of this one.. when did it start? Are you both on the latest beta (4.592b)?
For me it started on the most recent beta. 4.592b.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Starting to see CA errors meaning seeing 4xCA 15+20+20+20 or 4xCA 15+20+20+0.  Doesn't really matter what band(12, 25, 26, or 41). 

I also sent a second report in for a strange crash when trying to open SCP. SCP was very faded like turning down the brightness. Not sure what will cause it. I thought I turned on the experimental bypass for stale data but when I looked for it. It was unchecked but Show CA was off I thing. Don't worry about it unless I get more errors like it just thought I should add to the Android feedback report because it kept crashing and could not write anything long.

• Like 1

Starting to see CA errors meaning seeing 4xCA 15+20+20+20 or 4xCA 15+20+20+0.  Doesn't really matter what band(12, 25, 26, or 41). 
I also sent a second report in for a strange crash when trying to open SCP. SCP was very faded like turning down the brightness. Not sure what will cause it. I thought I turned on the experimental bypass for stale data but when I looked for it. It was unchecked but Show CA was off I thing. Don't worry about it unless I get more errors like it just thought I should add to the Android feedback report because it kept crashing and could not write anything long.
Sameedff02d18c51c2f45a73b43193f87738.jpg5a523d228a93338fa05c41a731c93f1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 1:23 PM, mikejeep said:

Also, I do see you have the root EARFCN method enabled, perhaps unnecessarily? It's logging lot of errors, are you seeing any error messages on your end? You can turn that off under Preferences > General > Enable Modem Commands if you're not using it; it would save some system resources.

-Mike

Yeah sorry clicking options I shouldn't again. But this time it causes the app to just shutdown the app. I was trying to click and unclick to see if I could control 4xCA error without turning show CA off for good.

Also when I cleared data to get the app working again. I saw that when you are in "popup view" the display settings don't work. (Ex Show Reset Button or change text color) Not a showstopper because when you go full screen changes come into effect just saw it and thought I would say something. Might be an easy fix but not really worth the time to dig a rabbit hole.

On 4/13/2020 at 11:18 PM, JossMan said:

Mike how have you been?  Its been awhile!  Anyway one of the last updates has borked SCP, I do not get any LTE info and it takes a few trys of reopening the app to get it to work.  Background services and location are all enabled as I haven't messed with any settings, is this a known issue?

On 4/13/2020 at 11:34 PM, JossMan said:

Hmm odd, yes I turned off WiFi and it populated instantly...

Thanks! I determined that on some devices it is not showing data the first time you open the app. Turning off Wi-Fi doesn't actually fix the problem, it just happens to end up triggering a signal refresh shortly thereafter so the screen updates. I think I've gotten it fixed so there will be another beta release shortly.. hard for me to confirm because my two Pixels don't have the issue.

On 4/15/2020 at 6:20 PM, Flompholph said:

The CA issues are unfortunately beyond my reach, that's what the OS is reporting (and from some digging, it looks like that's what the radio is reporting to the OS).

I received a few crash reports related to the root modem functionality, I believe I fixed that issue. Most users shouldn't be enabling that these days since most modern devices report the info natively now. I tweaked the warning popup so if someone has this activated it'll nudge them more often about disabling it.

7 hours ago, Flompholph said:

Also when I cleared data to get the app working again. I saw that when you are in "popup view" the display settings don't work. (Ex Show Reset Button or change text color) Not a showstopper because when you go full screen changes come into effect just saw it and thought I would say something. Might be an easy fix but not really worth the time to dig a rabbit hole.

Did you mean to quote a post from 15 months ago about the root modem issue, or were you referring to the CA option? Not sure what you mean about "popup view"? Everything is worth going down a rabbit hole.. I just don't make any promises when I'll come out.. ;)

• Like 1

I quoted because I searched the forums to see if others were having issues that I missed. But that was the only mention of the  "Enable Modem Commands" and I found it a little funny history was repeating itself. That quote was directed at me a year ago about having it enabled. I responded by saying I was trying to brake things. I didn't think it would send you alert it was from a different thread. That setting still crashes on Version 4.593b no warning message is shown. May want to put the warning about possible locking(crashing) of SCP until deletion of app data in the long message. 

Popup view is a feature on Samsung phones that allow you to have windows that float in the foreground. So I would have SCP(windowed) over the *#0011# menu(full screen). It allows me double check SCP and to take 2 screen shots in one. 

Old example https://dl.dropbox.com/s/bc9m5y3kaiunto7/2015-09-05 09.37.02.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Can anyone who was having issues importing/exporting logs confirm that it is working on the latest update?

I'm... not sure.  Hm.

So I updated my log this morning and had a fit with SQLiteStudio for some reason.  It was not committing properly, and that was causing me grief.  I eventually figured out that I could force it to commit by running the Vacuum function on it, which had the side benefit of shrinking the file from 5.8 MB to 5.2 MB.  So I solved that.

Then I imported that file successfully on my G8X.  I tested that by renaming my home site to have a "B" at the end, and it changed right away after import.

But then I realized I didn't remember it updating automatically, and sure enough, I was on 4.59b.  So I upgraded to 4.593b, changed the "B" on my home site to a "C", and now it's acting like it's importing, but I don't think it's actually updating the database.  No error message is being given, and next to the files that are being imported, I'm getting -shm and -wal files with the same name.  But the "B" remains.

I have to admit I've not been a good tester and did not keep careful track of what version I was on as things were going on.  So I don't know if it working 4.59b represents something you changed between an earlier version (I got my phone on 3/12) and now this is a regression, or if my device is just being flaky.  I am pretty sure my issue is not the one you were necessarily trying to fix, so that doesn't help either.

- Trip

24 minutes ago, Trip said:

But the "B" remains.

So I just tried rebooting my phone and now I'm even more confused.  When it first came up, I connected to B25 and it showed "C", but then when it jumped to B41, it reverted to "B." 

Digging in, I can see in the edited log database that I definitely updated every row associated with my home site to have a C at the end.  However, it looks like when the import occurred, the B41 GCI I was connected to (and perhaps the neighbor cell it was seeing?) did not update, while the other associated GCIs did update.  I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen before.

https://imgur.com/a/yTcqxX5

Picture is from a new dump in SQLiteStudio.

- Trip

On 4/17/2020 at 9:13 PM, Flompholph said:

I quoted because I searched the forums to see if others were having issues that I missed. But that was the only mention of the  "Enable Modem Commands" and I found it a little funny history was repeating itself. That quote was directed at me a year ago about having it enabled. I responded by saying I was trying to brake things. I didn't think it would send you alert it was from a different thread. That setting still crashes on Version 4.593b no warning message is shown. May want to put the warning about possible locking(crashing) of SCP until deletion of app data in the long message.

The crashing is a bug caused by changes in the root library I updated in one of these recent betas, should be fixed in the latest beta coming out tonight.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:13 PM, Flompholph said:

Popup view is a feature on Samsung phones that allow you to have windows that float in the foreground. So I would have SCP(windowed) over the *#0011# menu(full screen). It allows me double check SCP and to take 2 screen shots in one. 

Old example https://dl.dropbox.com/s/bc9m5y3kaiunto7/2015-09-05 09.37.02.png

Ahhh I didn't know about that, pretty cool. Unfortunately I'm not sure what I can do on my end to make it work, but I'll keep it in mind.

Another(!) SignalCheck Pro beta update is rolling out right now, version 4.594b. This should fix the crashes when enabling the root modem function (that isn't needed on most devices now anyway) and the delayed data when you first launch the app. Stale data issues and import/export issues appear to be resolved, at least for now.

Hopefully this version proves to be stable and can be released to those watching from the other side of the glass soon.. fingers crossed!

• Like 5

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on these last few releases, I am rolling out public and beta updates (version 4.61) now. Seems like things are stable again and I should be able to get back to working on dual SIM and other new features.

The newest beta mainly aligns with the public release but there is an additional fix for more crashes with the root modem functionality.

• Like 3

Modem frequency reporting working fine on rooted LG G2s using Android 5.x with latest SCP.

• Thanks 1

An important Android 11 feature seems to be how apps can now find out if you're on 5G, continuing a feature which lets apps distinguish whether you're on 4G or Wi-Fi connection. This would optimize content and performance for however you're connected, likely stopping you draining loads of data unnecessarily.

source: https://www.techradar.com/news/android-11

• Like 1

Well, looky here.  My wife was in Olympia, Washington today and connected to 5G n71 on her LG V60 Dual Screen.  She called me in excitement.  I asked her to check SCP and Engineering Screen and send me the screen shots.  Sure enough, SCP does actually acknowledge being on 5G NR on the LG V60.  The problem I had earlier was as many guessed, I was on ENDC only in my town and the 5G indicator was showing though not actually on an NR connection.

So with at least the LG V60, you can tell whether you are actually on 5G NR or not using SCP.  ENDC only without NR does not show anything in SCP.  But with an actual NR connection, it will populate the 5G-NR-true field at the bottom.

Robert

5Gscp.png 5Geng.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So with at least the LG V60, you can tell whether you are actually on 5G NR or not using SCP.  ENDC only without NR does not show anything in SCP.  But with an actual NR connection, it will populate the 5G-NR-true field at the bottom.

Awesome!! If it happens again, can you send a diagnostic report too? Showing the flag is a big step, but I want to see if any other info is hiding somewhere. I have code implemented to show whatever is available but I haven't seen it work in live testing yet. Thanks!

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

Awesome!! If it happens again, can you send a diagnostic report too? Showing the flag is a big step, but I want to see if any other info is hiding somewhere. I have code implemented to show whatever is available but I haven't seen it work in live testing yet. Thanks!

I am headed back to Olympia today to pick up a new mower.  I will hunt down the signal and send you reports.  Here's to hoping for something good!

Robert

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 5/2/2020 at 12:31 PM, S4GRU said:

I am headed back to Olympia today to pick up a new mower.  I will hunt down the signal and send you reports.  Here's to hoping for something good!

Sadly nothing other than the 5G flag! Thanks for trying.. hopefully Soon™..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Sadly nothing other than the 5G flag! Thanks for trying.. hopefully Soon™..

Do you think you can add when the 5G flag is true that it can change the LTE field atop to read like:

• LTE AWS (+5G) or LTE AWS (+NR)
  • LTE 1900 (+5G) or LTE 1900 (+NR)

That would be much more easy for me to detect while I am driving.  I frankly cannot see the 5G icon at all on my V60.  Another good idea would be to add a large 5G icon in the status bar.  That way we can ignore when the signal indicator says 5G, because it's not accurate.

It would be so great to have that up high in my field of vision as I drive around with SCP open.  Thanks for considering.

Robert

• Like 3

Do you think you can add when the 5G flag is true that it can change the LTE field...It would be so great to have that up high in my field of vision as I drive around with SCP open. 

Almost exactly what I've been working on, great minds think alike! You will like the next beta update.. hopefully this week..
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

A new SignalCheck beta has been pushed out and should be available shortly! It is focused on 5G improvements.. I still don't expect to see actual signal data yet, but there is now a possibility of seeing more information than previously. I have added several new status indicators; these descriptions are taken directly from some hidden Android routines:

• Restricted: "camped on an LTE cell that supports E-UTRA-NR Dual Connectivity (EN-DC) but either the use of dual connectivity with NR (DCNR) is restricted or NR is not supported by the selected PLMN"
  • Not Restricted: "camped on an LTE cell that supports E-UTRA-NR Dual Connectivity (EN-DC) and both the use of dual connectivity with NR (DCNR) is not restricted and NR is supported by the selected PLMN"
  • Connected: "camped on an LTE cell that supports E-UTRA-NR Dual Connectivity (EN-DC) and also connected to at least one 5G cell as a secondary serving cell"

My educated guess is that many devices are showing the "5G" icon when any of these statuses are present, not just "Connected" -- hopefully this will help confirm that.

Configurable alerts for when an actual 5G connection is detected or lost have been also been added. These are similar to the LTE and SMR800 alerts already in the app. One difference is the "5G Found" status bar icon is a "5G" graphic so it should be clear when you connect. It is an "Alert" so it will only appear once, when the connection is made (if it's dropped and reconnected, you will be alerted again). That also means that it is not a true 5G "indicator" like the regular status bar icon because if you do not swipe away the alert notification, it will stay there forever (or if you do swipe it away, that doesn't necessarily mean you are no longer on 5G).

You can also continue to use the "LTE Custom Alert" to make your own 5G alerts for now, because any 5G information still displays in the app as text under in LTE section for.

I do not have a 5G device (or coverage), so I am relying on feedback from those of you who do. Let me know.. thanks!

• Like 4
  • Love 1