SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

On 9/13/2020 at 8:57 PM, mdob07 said:

...It may be some power saving feature where it sees it drawing more power than usual when I have it open for a long period of time that it tries to compensate for once it moves to the background. I just changed the power setting to exclude SCP when putting apps to sleep to see if that makes a difference. 

Have you seen any improvement after adjusting that power setting? I fear that more and more devices are going to run into similar issues.. Android is really focusing its efforts on power saving and background access, which has a direct impact on SCP of course. Unfortunately not only have I not changed much that would intentionally cause this behavior, there isn't much I can do about it right now. The OS is trying to make sure that rogue apps aren't wasting power, but the side effect is limited options for apps like SCP that legitimately exist to frequently run in the background.

⚠️ Important heads up for the Beta Crew: the next SignalCheck beta is going to have some significant changes behind the scenes that will likely result in some bugs/instability. I have spent many hours working on it over the past few days, and certainly won't release something with obvious bugs. But I wanted to give an early heads up in case someone wants to hold off on updating immediately. I don't know when it'll be ready to try.. hopefully Soon.

The changes aren't exciting on the end-user side, but behind the scenes it reduces redundant routines and inefficient code. More importantly, it helps streamline my ongoing efforts to support dual-SIM devices. I am hopeful it will reduce memory usage and occasional ANRs, but some of that is so ambiguous it's hard to know for sure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

mike - i sent you a diagnostic report from my oneplus 8. its showing i'm connected to 5G SA but not really showing any info. Its a step up from my McLaren 5G phone, that one hasn't gotten a SA update yet but would never show anything when connected to NSA 5G :)

Not sure if you've had a chance to look much at the info you can get from oneplus phones, hopefully we aren't just stuck with no info from them :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A new SignalCheck beta has been submitted, and will become available sometime in the next few hours (days?) depending on how long it takes Google Play to release it. They are still warning of delayed processing times.

There are no big changes in this version on the end-user side, however there are extensive changes behind the scenes, including a new crash reporting service I am trying out. I did a lot of testing on my own, but as I mentioned last week, this release MAY be more unstable than typical beta builds because of the volume of code changes. I need help testing to ensure it is stable, but if you can't be without SCP, please don't update immediately. Hopefully after a few days there will be enough feedback here reporting it's all good.. hopefully.. ;)

EDIT: Update went live at 6:30am Eastern 9/30/20

• Like 4

So first, I resolved my database issue by rebuilding it again.  My database came right back up after the update.  I wish there was a way for SCP to know when the database is having such problems, but I'm not sure there is.  When I run an integrity check on my old file, it comes back "ok" so I'm not really sure what the issue was.

Second, I've installed this new beta on my Sprint G8X, as I'm not planning on going anywhere new or infrequent for a while.  I'll probably also stick it on one of my E5 Play devices.  Is there anything in particular we should be looking for other than just generic instability?

Also, wanted to let you know that the text color in the header has worked perfectly for IDing my phones.  It's now very easy to tell them apart.  Thanks again for all you do!

- Trip

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@mikejeep The first couple of days after the update everything seemed fine, then all of a sudden yesterday it "hung" 3 different times, the only way to get it to work again was to go force stop from settings. Two of the 3 times I did have it running in split window mode so I could see SCP and the service mode screen at the same time. I've had no issues today. Not sure what triggered yesterday, I had received the September android update the day before but I ran SCP that day with no issues. I've had 0 issues with the new update on my T-Mobile S20+.

Another note/ feature request: since the Android update the service mode now shows PCC MIMO info. I wonder if that is reported in the OS in a way you can display in SCP. 

nUZE1IIl.jpg

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, mdob07 said:

@mikejeep The first couple of days after the update everything seemed fine, then all of a sudden yesterday it "hung" 3 different times, the only way to get it to work again was to go force stop from settings. Two of the 3 times I did have it running in split window mode so I could see SCP and the service mode screen at the same time. I've had no issues today. Not sure what triggered yesterday, I had received the September android update the day before but I ran SCP that day with no issues. I've had 0 issues with the new update on my T-Mobile S20+.

Another note/ feature request: since the Android update the service mode now shows PCC MIMO info. I wonder if that is reported in the OS in a way you can display in SCP. 

nUZE1IIl.jpg

I'm having the same issue and I'm not beta. I sent message in main SCP room

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mdob07 said:

nUZE1IIl.jpg

Hey  are you using a theme from Samsung?

Just now, mdob07 said:

Not that I'm aware of.

Ok. Was curious. I know I have installed a theme and not sure if that caused the issue. Just put a different on and will test later

On 9/30/2020 at 9:24 AM, Trip said:

So first, I resolved my database issue by rebuilding it again.  My database came right back up after the update.  I wish there was a way for SCP to know when the database is having such problems, but I'm not sure there is.  When I run an integrity check on my old file, it comes back "ok" so I'm not really sure what the issue was.

Your database issues befuddle me.. I did make a minor SQL syntax adjustment in the latest beta in the hopes that it would eliminate that weird issue where the app crashes and reports that it can't create a table that already exists. That is the only relevant error I've seen from you--and I think I've only seen it from you. The API says my previous code shouldn't generate that error, but maybe this new way will completely resolve it. Please keep using the database functionality how you normally do and see if it's better on this latest version. You mess with it more than the average user so if it works for you, it'll work for anyone!

Second, I've installed this new beta on my Sprint G8X, as I'm not planning on going anywhere new or infrequent for a while.  I'll probably also stick it on one of my E5 Play devices.  Is there anything in particular we should be looking for other than just generic instability?

I would like you especially to use the database stuff like you normally do.. export, modify externally, re-import, etc. That's one of the changes. Besides that it is generic instability. Changing a lot of deeply integrated routines and want to make sure I don't miss something. So far the testing has been surprisingly stable as far as I can tell. The only issues seem to stem from seemingly coincidental OS changes (see next post shortly).

Also, wanted to let you know that the text color in the header has worked perfectly for IDing my phones.  It's now very easy to tell them apart.  Thanks again for all you do!

Awesome!! I have found it useful as well. Nearly everything originates from user suggestions, so keep them coming!

On 10/8/2020 at 6:30 PM, mdob07 said:

On 10/8/2020 at 7:28 PM, stlman314 said:

I'm having the same issue and I'm not beta. I sent message in main SCP room

Are you guys using a Samsung with the recent Android 11 update? That update is resulting in 5G details missing from SCP (and probably other similar apps), not sure if that is related. Samsung is not reporting 5G-NR RSRP in that update -- please let them know if they have any sort of beta feedback channels. I do have extra crash reporting in this latest beta update, so I have a lot of new information that I am still combing through.

On 10/8/2020 at 6:30 PM, mdob07 said:

I have not found anything that includes MIMO info, although there area several new features in the Android 11 API that I am still pouring through. Those service/engineering screens typically use proprietary functions that are not part of the standard Android API.

10 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Are you guys using a Samsung with the recent Android 11 update? That update is resulting in 5G details missing from SCP (and probably other similar apps), not sure if that is related. Samsung is not reporting 5G-NR RSRP in that update -- please let them know if they have any sort of beta feedback channels. I do have extra crash reporting in this latest beta update, so I have a lot of new information that I am still combing through.

I have not found anything that includes MIMO info, although there area several new features in the Android 11 API that I am still pouring through. Those service/engineering screens typically use proprietary functions that are not part of the standard Android API.

I am Samsung but using Android 10. Like mdob it was working fine then it just started acting weird

• Sad 1

On 10/11/2020 at 9:20 PM, mikejeep said:

Your database issues befuddle me.. I did make a minor SQL syntax adjustment in the latest beta in the hopes that it would eliminate that weird issue where the app crashes and reports that it can't create a table that already exists. That is the only relevant error I've seen from you--and I think I've only seen it from you. The API says my previous code shouldn't generate that error, but maybe this new way will completely resolve it. Please keep using the database functionality how you normally do and see if it's better on this latest version. You mess with it more than the average user so if it works for you, it'll work for anyone!

I would like you especially to use the database stuff like you normally do.. export, modify externally, re-import, etc. That's one of the changes. Besides that it is generic instability. Changing a lot of deeply integrated routines and want to make sure I don't miss something. So far the testing has been surprisingly stable as far as I can tell. The only issues seem to stem from seemingly coincidental OS changes (see next post shortly).

It befuddled me too.  I must be such a pest to work with!  I'm sorry!

But I've not had a problem since I rebuilt my database for the second time.  Over the long weekend, I merged my T-Mobile and Sprint databases together at last.  I'll let you know if it misbehaves at all.  I haven't seen any issues with it thus far.

https://imgur.com/a/P7RjuRK

That's what it looks like now, with the subscripts indicating which carrier the note is for.

EDIT:  One question I had is what the sector ID in brackets at the end of the note is supposed to indicate.  I've been wondering that for a while.  I'd love to have the ability to either turn it off or have it give the sector ID in decimal rather than hex in that spot.

- Trip

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Wonder if it's only for NR, because I don't have any more info than I did before.

it is, from what i've gathered with the way NSA 5G works you won't get any of the 5G cell info, other than signal strength, in that mode. you only get that with SA 5G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2020 at 3:40 PM, RAvirani said:

Nice. Any site you find 312-250 on is a Sprint "keep" site. 311-490/310-120 won't connect without a loss of signal, and those sites will eventually be decommissioned in favor of an existing T-Mobile site. 

@RAvirani I didn't want to hijack the merger thread so I branched off over here. I would like to get some feedback from you (and anyone else) and with reliable knowledge of the PLMN situation. I want SignalCheck to display the most useful provider name, especially now with the network in flux. I know there are some regional variations, but I would love to get some opinions on what people think would be the best way to label things, at least for now. Thanks!

312-250 appears to be for sites that T-Mobile plans to keep that are not co-located with existing T-Mobile sites.  I've seen something like 8 or 9 of them.  I'm not sure how it should be displayed though; it currently is Sprint** which is not bad.  I feel like it should be Sprint since it's not a site that's fully integrated yet... maybe it should be as simple as "Sprint Keep"?  The one thing I would like is for the notes to follow from the associated 310120/312530 site onto 312250 and do the 0x1450 offset like 310120/312530 does.  I've merged my Sprint and T-Mobile databases and so the Sprint data is available, it's just not following from the 310120/312530 rows when 312250 appears.

I can't really comment on the others.

- Trip

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

@RAvirani I didn't want to hijack the merger thread so I branched off over here. I would like to get some feedback from you (and anyone else) and with reliable knowledge of the PLMN situation. I want SignalCheck to display the most useful provider name, especially now with the network in flux. I know there are some regional variations, but I would love to get some opinions on what people think would be the best way to label things, at least for now. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Trip said:

312-250 appears to be for sites that T-Mobile plans to keep that are not co-located with existing T-Mobile sites.  I've seen something like 8 or 9 of them.  I'm not sure how it should be displayed though; it currently is Sprint** which is not bad.  I feel like it should be Sprint since it's not a site that's fully integrated yet... maybe it should be as simple as "Sprint Keep"?  The one thing I would like is for the notes to follow from the associated 310120/312530 site onto 312250 and do the 0x1450 offset like 310120/312530 does.  I've merged my Sprint and T-Mobile databases and so the Sprint data is available, it's just not following from the 310120/312530 rows when 312250 appears.

I can't really comment on the others.

- Trip

On my T-Mobile S20+ SCP doesn't indicate the PLMN is different. It still shows 310120 with no **. I can't post a screenshot until I get home later tonight since tapatalk is down, but I've got shots of split screen with SCP showing 310-120 and the service mode screen showing 312-250. I haven’t pulled my log yet but if these are being logged as 312-250 that'll be great for tracking.

On another note, the provider color bar has been extremely helpful on this trip to see at a glace which network I'm on.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mdob07 said:

On my T-Mobile S20+ SCP doesn't indicate the PLMN is different. It still shows 310120 with no **. I can't post a screenshot until I get home later tonight since tapatalk is down, but I've got shots of split screen with SCP showing 310-120 and the service mode screen showing 312-250. I haven’t pulled my log yet but if these are being logged as 312-250 that'll be great for tracking.

On another note, the provider color bar has been extremely helpful on this trip to see at a glace which network I'm on.

i see this on my OP8 as well. i can select the 312-250 PLMN from the network operators screen and it says "registered" but when looking at signal check it just shows "sprint 310-120". so i have no idea if i'm actually connected to 312-250 or if it somehow punted me off to the normal PLMN. because of that i've been unable to identify these "keep" sites.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bmoses said:

i see this on my OP8 as well. i can select the 312-250 PLMN from the network operators screen and it says "registered" but when looking at signal check it just shows "sprint 310-120". so i have no idea if i'm actually connected to 312-250 or if it somehow punted me off to the normal PLMN. because of that i've been unable to identify these "keep" sites.

For reference i never see the 311-490 in SCP either, it shows either 310-120 or 310-260 depending on the network. Not sure if SCP is translating that in the background or if the phone is passing it through to SCP like that. I'm pretty sure CellMapper does the same thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2020 at 2:37 PM, Trip said:

312-250 appears to be for sites that T-Mobile plans to keep that are not co-located with existing T-Mobile sites.  I've seen something like 8 or 9 of them.  I'm not sure how it should be displayed though; it currently is Sprint** which is not bad.  I feel like it should be Sprint since it's not a site that's fully integrated yet... maybe it should be as simple as "Sprint Keep"?

Sprint owned many different PLMN IDs.. in the app, I tagged any that were dormant with the ** in the hopes that if they somehow started being used, it would be noticed and we could figure out why. It apparently worked! My goal is to come up with a label that not only makes sense to the most-informed users (you and many other S4GRUers) but also the least-informed, who might have no idea what is going on. Certainly worthy of being labeled somehow.

The one thing I would like is for the notes to follow from the associated 310120/312530 site onto 312250 and do the 0x1450 offset like 310120/312530 does.  I've merged my Sprint and T-Mobile databases and so the Sprint data is available, it's just not following from the 310120/312530 rows when 312250 appears.

Fantastic idea! I'll work on getting that added. FWIW, I have not seen this PLMN in New England yet.

On 10/29/2020 at 2:58 PM, bmoses said:

On 10/29/2020 at 3:00 PM, mdob07 said:

For reference i never see the 311-490 in SCP either, it shows either 310-120 or 310-260 depending on the network. Not sure if SCP is translating that in the background or if the phone is passing it through to SCP like that. I'm pretty sure CellMapper does the same thing. 

Android reports PLMN IDs in up to 7(!) different methods depending on your connection type. On most providers, it does not matter, because they only use one ID. Sprint is an exception to this.

After many many hours of research, trial and error, digging through logs, and asking for opinions, I chose what I determined to be the most reliable value to implement in the app. The exact value chosen depends on your Android version and the connected provider, but on most devices running Android 7.0 and up it uses the value being reported with the primary connected cell information. With up to 7 different options, it is not surprising that other apps may show different data. There's a chance it could vary by device too, if the vendor implemented something differently in the radio firmware.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 9:49 AM, Trip said:

One question I had is what the sector ID in brackets at the end of the note is supposed to indicate.  I've been wondering that for a while.  I'd love to have the ability to either turn it off or have it give the sector ID in decimal rather than hex in that spot.

Sorry, missed this from a couple weeks ago. It just indicates the sector like you said.. happy to make it an option, hex/decimal/disabled.

• Like 1

Great!

One other question I have is about the logging functionality.  I've been having some issues with specifically my Verizon phone not logging things at times even though logging is enabled and both GCI and TAC are present.  I added back one of my old G4 Plays to try to chase down the B26 312250/B41 T-Mobile while keeping my primary T-Mobile phone available for B71, but have had a similar issue there.

I cannot be 100% sure, it seems that both of these phones will sometimes show correct and updating data but have "Connecting..." at the top right rather than "Connected to LTE."  (The notification icon will also show "--" rather than the dBm/band numbers.)  If I reset the mobile connection, it'll come back to "Connected to LTE" and then appear to log.  Does "Connecting..." when the phone is actually on LTE keep the phone from logging?

- Trip