SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

4 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Hey Mike, Looks like your changes worked. On 4.514b I'm now seeing W-CDMA info and SNR is back on both of my devices. Don't worry about the status bar icon in the GSM shot, I think I took the screen shot a soon as I cycled airplane mode. I'm 99.9% sure it was populated as I was watching it switch from GSM to HSPA. 

Excellent, thanks for the detailed testing and screen shots! At the time of your GSM screenshot, the connection hadn't stabilized yet so the network type still shows "Connecting..." -- that intentionally causes the status bar icon to blank out. Funny that it comes up now, earlier today I was looking at it and considering changing that behavior. Displaying an icon with the dB reading but no connection type might not be a bad thing, since the reading itself is valid in my experience; I see it on my deactivated test devices that never get a true network connection but measure accurate signal strength.)

4 hours ago, mdob07 said:

I've also got a question on the custom alerts, I have one set for 67086 to get an alert when I connect to J Block AWS as the primary carrier since AT&T is just starting to open it up here for uplink connections. I hadn't gotten an alert for it all day until after I installed 4.514b. Now I'm getting the alert everytime I connect to the Shepherdsville tower even though I don't show that I have ever connected to it yet except as downlink with CA. Is that the way it is supposed to work? If so that's fine, I just wanted to know. It shows up in the neighbor cell list. 

Ha, this is an interesting side effect that I had not considered. You are tripping that alert because it's seeing 67086 in your neighbor cell list. In this latest update you received, it searches the entire LTE "text block"; in previous versions, it only searched a few selected fields I chose. But this is by design.. someone might want neighbor cells included. The easy fix is to adjust your trigger to be "EARFCN: 67086" -- because that would only trip when you actually connect to it, since the neighbor cells aren't displayed with that prefix.

-Mike

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jefbal99 said:

New oddity, when SCP is in the background, it seems to lose its data from the OS.  The status bar changes to LTE -- even though there is an active connection.  Once you open the app, then it refreshes the data and all is good.

Screenshots at https://photos.app.goo.gl/VCf9nE3s6XRjPfPy7

Is this still occurring with the Alpha update I sent you last night?

-Mike

3 hours ago, mikejeep said:

-Mike

Yes, the second diagnostic I sent I tried to get with no data before it refreshed

I added a video to the album of it happening

Edited by jefbal99
Video

11 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Hey Mike, Looks like your changes worked. On 4.514b I'm now seeing W-CDMA info and SNR is back on both of my devices. Don't worry about the status bar icon in the GSM shot, I think I took the screen shot a soon as I cycled airplane mode. I'm 99.9% sure it was populated as I was watching it switch from GSM to HSPA. 

I've also got a question on the custom alerts, I have one set for 67086 to get an alert when I connect to J Block AWS as the primary carrier since AT&T is just starting to open it up here for uplink connections. I hadn't gotten an alert for it all day until after I installed 4.514b. Now I'm getting the alert everytime I connect to the Shepherdsville tower even though I don't show that I have ever connected to it yet except as downlink with CA. Is that the way it is supposed to work? If so that's fine, I just wanted to know. It shows up in the neighbor cell list. 

7 hours ago, mikejeep said:

-Mike

Ahh - there's an alpha update.  I left the Android world for iOS for a couple years.  Makes sense.  I thought i was going crazy earlier this morning because I couldn't get my beta version to update to 4.514b from 4.513b - ha.  

Glad to hear the HSPA signal values and SNR are back.  

Mike - any update on when we might see the LTE bandwidth feature on more 9.0 devices?  I'm currently also using an AT&T S9+ like mdob07, I believe.  

46 minutes ago, uecker87 said:

Mike - any update on when we might see the LTE bandwidth feature on more 9.0 devices?  I'm currently also using an AT&T S9+ like mdob07, I believe.  

I wonder if Samsung has a place to point out issues like android does? I'd love to get that working on my Verizon s9+ since Verizon locks out the engineering screens. Hopefully we'll see it in one of the upcoming patches. 

19 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Excellent, thanks for the detailed testing and screen shots! At the time of your GSM screenshot, the connection hadn't stabilized yet so the network type still shows "Connecting..." -- that intentionally causes the status bar icon to blank out. Funny that it comes up now, earlier today I was looking at it and considering changing that behavior. Displaying an icon with the dB reading but no connection type might not be a bad thing, since the reading itself is valid in my experience; I see it on my deactivated test devices that never get a true network connection but measure accurate signal strength.)

Ha, this is an interesting side effect that I had not considered. You are tripping that alert because it's seeing 67086 in your neighbor cell list. In this latest update you received, it searches the entire LTE "text block"; in previous versions, it only searched a few selected fields I chose. But this is by design.. someone might want neighbor cells included. The easy fix is to adjust your trigger to be "EARFCN: 67086" -- because that would only trip when you actually connect to it, since the neighbor cells aren't displayed with that prefix.

-Mike

4.514b has been stable all day on both of my phones. I haven't seen any issues out of either of them all day. Also I got the alerts setup the way I want and thats working great too!

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2019 at 9:44 AM, uecker87 said:

Ahh - there's an alpha update.  I left the Android world for iOS for a couple years.  Makes sense.  I thought i was going crazy earlier this morning because I couldn't get my beta version to update to 4.514b from 4.513b - ha.

Haha sorry to disappoint, there were some bugs I was working on resolving with a few specific users and I expected it to take several updates, so I limited it to just them. Things seem good so when I have a chance I intend to get one final beta out to make sure it's ready for full release.

That's up to device manufacturers.. SCP will reliably display whatever bandwidth info is being reported. It's part of the standard Android API now, they just need to take advantage of it. Similar to when the major LTE routines were added in Android 4.2 but it took awhile for that data to be consistently and accurately reported.

-Mike 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Another beta just released! Many more fixes.. hopefully this will take care of everything I was aware of.. let me know! Hopefully this version can go public later this week.....

-Mike

Q beta 2, still getting the no data when in background. Sending another diagnostics

On 4/15/2019 at 8:42 PM, jefbal99 said:

Q beta 2, still getting the no data when in background. Sending another diagnostics

Hmm, no errors showing up, everything looks ok. Does it happen immediately upon it going into the background? Does it happen when you clear it out of recent apps? Any difference when you use the back button vs the home button vs choosing a different app from the recent apps list? Trying to narrow down where I should look for behavior changes first. It might be intentional or it might be a Q glitch.

-Mike

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Hmm, no errors showing up, everything looks ok. Does it happen immediately upon it going into the background? Does it happen when you clear it out of recent apps? Any difference when you use the back button vs the home button vs choosing a different app from the recent apps list? Trying to narrow down where I should look for behavior changes first. It might be intentional or it might be a Q glitch.

-Mike

It varies, sometimes it goes blank immediately, others it will keep updating for a few minutes.  The same is true for going back in, sometimes it populates immediately, other times it takes 15-30 seconds.

I don't ever clear SCP from recent apps

Doesn't matter home button vs back button.

My gut is that it's Qs new security features, not providing data when the app is in the background.

• Like 1

It varies, sometimes it goes blank immediately, others it will keep updating for a few minutes.  The same is true for going back in, sometimes it populates immediately, other times it takes 15-30 seconds.
I don't ever clear SCP from recent apps
Doesn't matter home button vs back button.
My gut is that it's Qs new security features, not providing data when the app is in the background.
Have you tried exempting SCP from battery optimization?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ingenium said:

Have you tried exempting SCP from battery optimization?

I did that and no change

• Like 1

I did that and no change
Hmm. Try plugging the phone in and see if it still does it.

It is possible that Q actually breaks this for background apps. P broke wifi scanning. It can scan for 3 or 5 seconds, then returns the same data for 30 or 60 seconds, then scans for 3 or 5, and repeat. It breaks all the wifi analysis apps that you use to figure out the optional channel, etc. Ironically, it also breaks the wifi rtt feature that Google touted in P.

New beta should be available within the hour, because a public update is rolling out now too.. only significant change for beta users is that LTE bandwidth display is controlled by an option that is disabled by default. Go to Preferences > Display Settings to enable it if you want it. This way users have to read a little blurb warning that it may not be reliable.

Thanks to all for helping test this release out, there were a lot of hiccups to iron out. Now, back to work on the new carrier aggregation stuff I discovered....

-Mike

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/17/2019 at 5:08 PM, ingenium said:

Hmm. Try plugging the phone in and see if it still does it.

It is possible that Q actually breaks this for background apps. P broke wifi scanning. It can scan for 3 or 5 seconds, then returns the same data for 30 or 60 seconds, then scans for 3 or 5, and repeat. It breaks all the wifi analysis apps that you use to figure out the optional channel, etc. Ironically, it also breaks the wifi rtt feature that Google touted in P.

No change, plugged in or on battery

On 4/18/2019 at 5:59 AM, mikejeep said:

New beta should be available within the hour, because a public update is rolling out now too.. only significant change for beta users is that LTE bandwidth display is controlled by an option that is disabled by default. Go to Preferences > Display Settings to enable it if you want it. This way users have to read a little blurb warning that it may not be reliable.

Thanks to all for helping test this release out, there were a lot of hiccups to iron out. Now, back to work on the new carrier aggregation stuff I discovered....

-Mike

Q beta 2 Pixel 2XL, I enabled the Bandwidth setting, but nothing is displayed.  I sent in a diagnostic

On 4/18/2019 at 5:59 AM, mikejeep said:

Now, back to work on the new carrier aggregation stuff I discovered....

-Mike

What possibilities do you see?  We currently have very limited ways of tracking CA and other advanced LTE items such as 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM.  Basically just by individual sites.  So many permutations with CA which all vary by carriers.   Logging any of these Advanced LTE items is great !!  We will take whatever crumbs you can give us!!

Thanks

• Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 11:40 PM, bucdenny said:

15x15 on SCP shows 10x10.

Concur that 8615 earcfn is a common indicator or 15x15, based on Columbus and Pittsburgh.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:40 PM, bucdenny said:

15x15 on SCP shows 10x10.

Hmmmm.. if that is truly 15x15 (and I have no reason not to believe you and the others), that puts me in a tough spot, since it's displaying the 10x10 indicator because of the GCI pattern. If the same pattern is showing 10x10 and 15x15, I will have to change the indicator to something less specific. Any suggestions? Want to keep it short and sweet, self-explanatory, but still useful.. if there's some sort of technical term that's appropriate perhaps that would work. I don't know enough about that end of things myself.

-Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

Hmmmm.. if that is truly 15x15 (and I have no reason not to believe you and the others), that puts me in a tough spot, since it's displaying the 10x10 indicator because of the GCI pattern. If the same pattern is showing 10x10 and 15x15, I will have to change the indicator to something less specific. Any suggestions? Want to keep it short and sweet, self-explanatory, but still useful.. if there's some sort of technical term that's appropriate perhaps that would work. I don't know enough about that end of things myself.

-Mike

B25 Wideband perhaps. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 6:11 AM, jefbal99 said:

Updated to Q beta 3 and I have consistent data in SCP

Thanks for the update and the diagnostic report you sent! Glad to see it's working well. I see there wasn't any valid bandwidth info being reported.. did you ever see bandwidth info on Q, or did it take a step back? Hard for me to keep track of everyone's individual experience.

If you have a chance, it might help if you could submit a bug report to Google. I sent them one, but I have a Pixel 3 on Pie; a 2XL on Q would give them another example. I took mine with the SCP diagnostic screen showing the LTE cellInfo since part of the report is a screenshot. To generate a bug report, either go to Settings > System > Developer Options > Take bug report or try pressing and holding Power+VolUp+VolDown (I find that method to be tricky). Once it finishes generating, upload it to Google Drive, grant shared access to "android-bugreport@google.com", and post the link as a comment on the Android Issue I created here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/131532224

Anyone else who is willing to take the above steps is welcome to do the same. The more data they have, the better chance there is that it will be fixed. Even if you don't want to send a bug report, please at least 'star' that issue when you can -- it only takes a moment!

Thanks,
-Mike

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 3:09 PM, RAvirani said:

B25 Wideband perhaps. 

I'm ok with that.. does anyone have any other suggestions before I commit to that? Unfortunately for now there's no reliable way to definitively flag sites as one or the other.. but hopefully the bandwidth routines improve and the educated guesses that SCP makes will be referenced less and less as time goes on.

-Mike

• Like 2