Jump to content
mikejeep

SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, mikejeep said:

I'm ok with that.. does anyone have any other suggestions before I commit to that? Unfortunately for now there's no reliable way to definitively flag sites as one or the other.. but hopefully the bandwidth routines improve and the educated guesses that SCP makes will be referenced less and less as time goes on.

-Mike

I recommend covering SCP in the definition for wideband stating it is likely 15x15 but could also be 10x10 or even 5x5.  Samsung phones and some rooted applications can tell, otherwise speedtests close to the site at off hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dkyeager said:

I recommend covering SCP in the definition for wideband stating it is likely 15x15 but could also be 10x10 or even 5x5.  Samsung phones and some rooted applications can tell, otherwise speedtests close to the site at off hours.

Isn't 8615 ALWAYS 15X15.  I thought it was part of the "C" block and the G Block. C & G are adjacent, so 10 in the C and 5 in the G gives you 15.    In some of the Shentel area, we have the 15X15 (8615) aggregated with 10X10 in the A Block (8140). That is some real good band 25.  Too bad this will not happen everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chamb said:

Isn't 8615 ALWAYS 15X15.  I thought it was part of the "C" block and the G Block. C & G are adjacent, so 10 in the C and 5 in the G gives you 15.    In some of the Shentel area, we have the 15X15 (8615) aggregated with 10X10 in the A Block (8140). That is some real good band 25.  Too bad this will not happen everywhere.

8615 is pretty much always 15x15 L1900 on Sprint. The only other thing it could be is a 5x5 LTE carrier in the PCS C5 block, which should never exist. This is because if Sprint owned the PCS C5 block then they would broadcast a 10x10 C5+G carrier with EARFCN 8640. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chamb said:

Isn't 8615 ALWAYS 15X15.  I thought it was part of the "C" block and the G Block. C & G are adjacent, so 10 in the C and 5 in the G gives you 15.    In some of the Shentel area, we have the 15X15 (8615) aggregated with 10X10 in the A Block (8140). That is some real good band 25.  Too bad this will not happen everywhere.

 

10 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

8615 is pretty much always 15x15 L1900 on Sprint. The only other thing it could be is a 5x5 LTE carrier in the PCS C5 block, which should never exist. This is because if Sprint owned the PCS C5 block then they would broadcast a 10x10 C5+G carrier with EARFCN 8640. 

There is an area outside of Pittsburgh that Ingenium reported which only has 5x5 yet has this earfcn.

Remember that we don't have much data at this point so better to be cautious and reduce support issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

 

There is an area outside of Pittsburgh that Ingenium reported which only has 5x5 yet has this earfcn.

That is likely a configuration error and will hopefully be fixed soon. There are no advantages to running two adjacent 5x5 L1900 carriers. They should broadcast a single 10x10 L1900 carrier with EARFCN 8640/26640. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

That is likely a configuration error and will be fixed soon. There are no advantages to running two adjacent 5x5 L1900 carriers. They should broadcast a single 10x10 L1900 carrier with EARFCN 8640/26640. 

It's not an error. It's the only available spectrum there I believe. It's had this configuration for a couple years, 2 5x5 carriers. The carriers are not contiguous. (My mistake, it looks like they are contiguous). I just checked my logs and I have entries first seen in 2017, and it still has that configuration as recent as a week ago.  Look on Cellmapper in the New Castle, PA area. Specifically along 422 from New Castle to Ohio.

CKHk4ti.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ingenium said:

It's not an error. It's the only available spectrum there I believe. It's had this configuration for a couple years, 2 5x5 carriers. The carriers are not contiguous. I just checked my logs and I have entries first seen in 2017, and it still has that configuration as recent as a week ago.  Look on Cellmapper in the New Castle, PA area. Specifically along 422 from New Castle to Ohio.

CKHk4ti.png

Those two carriers are contiguous. They should be merged into a single 10x10 L1900 carrier. Not sure why they haven't been. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Those two carriers are contiguous. They should be merged into a single 10x10 L1900 carrier. Not sure why they haven't been. 

Yeah I just looked up the earfcn -> frequency and updated my post just before you replied. I was mixing up the spectrum ownership with the adjacent county. I'm not sure why they didn't go 10x10 with Pittsburgh years ago then...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ingenium said:

Yeah I just looked up the earfcn -> frequency and updated my post just before you replied. I was mixing up the spectrum ownership with the adjacent county. I'm not sure why they didn't go 10x10 with Pittsburgh years ago then...

It might be worth it to reach out to the network team in that area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It might be worth it to reach out to the network team in that area. 
Definitely. I don't have any contacts though. I suspect it could be managed by the Ohio team rather than the Pittsburgh team, and the adjacent counties in Ohio are 2 5x5. So perhaps they were used to that config.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ingenium said:

Definitely. I don't have any contacts though. I suspect it could be managed by the Ohio team rather than the Pittsburgh team, and the adjacent counties in Ohio are 2 5x5. So perhaps they were used to that config.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
 

If you do not have 8665 on a site but do have 8615, it would be a good assumption that you have a 15X15 carrier.  When 8665 is missing, the spectrum is still there but tied to the "C" block.  If you still have 8665 showing on the site along with 8615, then 8615  probably is only 5X5.      I have seen 8665 be aggregated with 8140  "A Block", but you still see one of them active and one in your neighbor list.  You will see the aggregation in your debug screens.   You might see 8665 aggregated with other blocks too.  But if 8665 is totally missing, it is probably combined with the "C" block and most likely is 15X15 8615.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 2:25 PM, mikejeep said:

Thanks for the update and the diagnostic report you sent! Glad to see it's working well. I see there wasn't any valid bandwidth info being reported.. did you ever see bandwidth info on Q, or did it take a step back? Hard for me to keep track of everyone's individual experience.

If you have a chance, it might help if you could submit a bug report to Google. I sent them one, but I have a Pixel 3 on Pie; a 2XL on Q would give them another example. I took mine with the SCP diagnostic screen showing the LTE cellInfo since part of the report is a screenshot. To generate a bug report, either go to Settings > System > Developer Options > Take bug report or try pressing and holding Power+VolUp+VolDown (I find that method to be tricky). Once it finishes generating, upload it to Google Drive, grant shared access to "android-bugreport@google.com", and post the link as a comment on the Android Issue I created here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/131532224

Anyone else who is willing to take the above steps is welcome to do the same. The more data they have, the better chance there is that it will be fixed. Even if you don't want to send a bug report, please at least 'star' that issue when you can -- it only takes a moment!

Thanks,
-Mike

I've never had bandwidth show up on my Pixel 2 XL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 1:25 PM, mikejeep said:

Thanks for the update and the diagnostic report you sent! Glad to see it's working well. I see there wasn't any valid bandwidth info being reported.. did you ever see bandwidth info on Q, or did it take a step back? Hard for me to keep track of everyone's individual experience.

If you have a chance, it might help if you could submit a bug report to Google. I sent them one, but I have a Pixel 3 on Pie; a 2XL on Q would give them another example. I took mine with the SCP diagnostic screen showing the LTE cellInfo since part of the report is a screenshot. To generate a bug report, either go to Settings > System > Developer Options > Take bug report or try pressing and holding Power+VolUp+VolDown (I find that method to be tricky). Once it finishes generating, upload it to Google Drive, grant shared access to "android-bugreport@google.com", and post the link as a comment on the Android Issue I created here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/131532224

Anyone else who is willing to take the above steps is welcome to do the same. The more data they have, the better chance there is that it will be fixed. Even if you don't want to send a bug report, please at least 'star' that issue when you can -- it only takes a moment!

Thanks,
-Mike

I'm on a Pixel 3a XL with the Android Q beta 3 installed.  So far all seems good.  No issues that I can tell.  I even have the bandwidth values reporting (I think correctly, I'll keep an eye on it).  👍

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed the radio info screen has added a BW field to it in a recent update on my S9 plus. Haven't seen it populated with anything yet though. Hopefully it's a sign that Samsung is implementing those routines in their code, but I'm not sure if this is a Samsung specific screen or standard android screen.580c257c2ac3d4aac7852fe56e0e2cac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've noticed the radio info screen has added a BW field to it in a recent update on my S9 plus. Haven't seen it populated with anything yet though. Hopefully it's a sign that Samsung is implementing those routines in their code, but I'm not sure if this is a Samsung specific screen or standard android screen.


That is an Android OS screen.. bandwidth doesn't seem to be consistently reported by the OS yet, but hopefully that improves over time. SCP will show whatever is being reported; this bug report was filed to hopefully get it addressed: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/131532224

-Mike
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another beta update rolling out within the hour..

  • Added ability to look up network registrant by clicking on IP address (kinda fun).
  • Added in-app purchase capabilities for contributions and upgrades (will eventually lead to Lite merging with Pro).
  • Added indicators for Sprint Airave 4 CDMA/LTE connections (work in progress, but working with what we know so far).
  • Resolved issue with no signal alerts not triggering (had no idea this was broken the whole time).

Also, my development software (Android Studio) has been injecting some weird background errors, so please let me know if you see any strange behavior or logcat output. It doesn't seem to impact performance so I'm not sure if anyone will see it besides me.

-Mike

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Another beta update rolling out within the hour..

  • Added ability to look up network registrant by clicking on IP address (kinda fun).
  • Added in-app purchase capabilities for contributions and upgrades (will eventually lead to Lite merging with Pro).
  • Added indicators for Sprint Airave 4 CDMA/LTE connections (work in progress, but working with what we know so far).
  • Resolved issue with no signal alerts not triggering (had no idea this was broken the whole time).

Also, my development software (Android Studio) has been injecting some weird background errors, so please let me know if you see any strange behavior or logcat output. It doesn't seem to impact performance so I'm not sure if anyone will see it besides me.

-Mike

I'm tempted to get an Android phone just so I can download this app and support you. 

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 8:03 PM, chamb said:

Isn't 8615 ALWAYS 15X15.  I thought it was part of the "C" block and the G Block. C & G are adjacent, so 10 in the C and 5 in the G gives you 15.    In some of the Shentel area, we have the 15X15 (8615) aggregated with 10X10 in the A Block (8140). That is some real good band 25.  Too bad this will not happen everywhere.

8615 is only 5x5MHz here in the Bristol TN/VA and surrounding area.  Sprint has CA 8665/8615 here and still pretty speedy with speeds hovering in the 30Mbps during peak times and bursts over 50Mbps at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JossMan said:

8615 is only 5x5MHz here in the Bristol TN/VA and surrounding area.  Sprint has CA 8665/8615 here and still pretty speedy with speeds hovering in the 30Mbps during peak times and bursts over 50Mbps at times. 

That must be a configuration error. Those LTE carriers are adjacent and should be combined into a 10x10 carrier centered at EARFCN 8640. It may be a good idea to reach out to someone at Sprint about this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Sprint possibly a roaming partner for a regional carrier in the area? Maybe they needed to keep that 5x5 separate so they could do MBFI B2 for a regional partner. That'd be the only reason I could think they'd keep two adjacent carriers serperate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another new beta rolling out now! Minor changes since the update a couple of days ago -- Sprint 10x10 is displayed again, in-app purchases are back again, and Airave 4 stuff is fixed. A public update is also going out that rolls up all of the changes to this point, except for in-app purchases. More coming soon!

Thanks for all of your help.. I sincerely appreciate it!

-Mike

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you need beta testers for 5G devices in launched markets? 5G shows as 2.5 LTE. I tried searching the thread, but it's quite long.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Do you need beta testers for 5G devices in launched markets? 5G shows as 2.5 LTE. I tried searching the thread, but it's quite long.

Can you post a screenshot? I'm just curious to see what it shows on 5G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Can you post a screenshot? I'm just curious to see what it shows on 5G.

This was from the other day doing speed tests in different parts of downtown KC using an LG V50. a41d617ed2916666b009514efffaee34.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:

This was from the other day doing speed tests in different parts of downtown KC using an LG V50. a41d617ed2916666b009514efffaee34.jpg

 

Interesting. Did you notice if the RSRP and GCI values were updating as you moved around? I'm wondering if it's actually showing 5G info or just still showing the last LTE info it had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...