Sprint Roaming+ - Coverage Map Update

clbowens

Never mind I found the information on sprints site. If you restore data roaming after your limit is reached you will be charged $0.25 for every additional megabyte.

That's a lot. Hopefully nobody's kid figures that out and then watches a movie. I would not want that bill.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Never mind I found the information on sprints site. If you restore data roaming after your limit is reached you will be charged $0.25 for every additional megabyte.

25¢?! That's a bit too much when you consider that their international roaming is a lot cheaper.

I've been roaming on Verizon EVDO a lot at this fishing lake I go to in Escondido, CA since middle June. There's also a stealth tree Verizon tower (labeled Verizon on gate) on the opposite of the parking lot. Early June, and way before, I'd go there sitting on 1x, then noticed one day at a Catfish derby I was in, SCP was showing Verizon EVDO solid green. First time ever I was able to browse online at that location, including being in the boat.

Interesting. Must be that area they have a Verizon agreement with for roaming. Where I need it to work (91214) my buddy gets perfect Verizon reception but I can't get on the internet at all? Any ideas? I tried the PRL update, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Must be that area they have a Verizon agreement with for roaming. Where I need it to work (91214) my buddy gets perfect Verizon reception but I can't get on the internet at all? Any ideas? I tried the PRL update, etc.

I have heard that, if you make a phone call. It then registers your phone on the network and then you data starts working. I would try that to start. It has been proven to work on uscc, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work on verizon

• Like 1

I've noticed that a lot. Some Verizon EVDO towers just seem to block the connection. A phone call sometimes fixes it but not always. It's kind of weird and random.

• Like 1

25¢?! That's a bit too much when you consider that their international roaming is a lot cheaper.

Depends, in some countries it's $15/MB, such as Swaziland. Meanwhile the country is surrounded on all sides by South Africa, with Open World roaming rates of $30/GB. Get too close to the border and it hops over and you get billed at $15/MB. It just happened to a line on my account. Thankfully it was only 2MB. Trying to get the charge removed.

Sent from my Pixel XL

I have heard that, if you make a phone call. It then registers your phone on the network and then you data starts working. I would try that to start. It has been proven to work on uscc, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work on verizon

I've found that toggling the roaming enables in device settings can work, too. Not sure which switch did the trick ... I was getting frustrated and just started hitting them all.

I agree but their not competing with carriers in other countries like they do with the ones here.

If I were roaming and the only option was to pay 25¢ per MB for overages, I'd seriously consider switching providers. There's no way Sprint is paying anywhere close to 25¢/MB to Verizon. Sprint is hurting itself by charging that much. They could push some subscribers to leave for other networks if they find themselves paying $25 for an extra 100 MB.

If I were roaming and the only option was to pay 25¢ per MB for overages, I'd seriously consider switching providers. There's no way Sprint is paying anywhere close to 25¢/MB to Verizon. Sprint is hurting itself by charging that much. They could push some subscribers to leave for other networks if they find themselves paying $25 for an extra 100 MB.

How would they be hurting themselves? Roaming is a perk, not necessarily a requirement.

Magenta removed all roaming except voice and no one complained.

• Like 2

Then how much do they pay verizon? Hasn't this been talked about here before when tmobile and at&t released their roaming cost?

Depends, in some countries it's $15/MB, such as Swaziland. Meanwhile the country is surrounded on all sides by South Africa, with Open World roaming rates of $30/GB. Get too close to the border and it hops over and you get billed at $15/MB. It just happened to a line on my account. Thankfully it was only 2MB. Trying to get the charge removed.

Get the charges removed on what grounds?  Your line sounds like it incurred legitimate data roaming charges.  You know, getting courtesy credits may be one contributing reason why roaming is so limited and/or expensive.  Somebody has to pay for the courtesy credits.

AJ

Not so fast.  T-Mobile self reportedly has had data roaming costs not far from $0.25/MB.  Your assumption about Sprint's roaming costs is unsubstantiated.

AJ

• Like 1

Roaming data is a big issue for me because my family weekend place is only covered by US Cellular. So being on sprint is our only option but only having 300 mb to use there is very frustrating.

I am in the same boat I turn off roaming to save it for the weekends. So I can show off and laugh at the people on verizon with their phones in the air. I will even even show them I can stream video some times. As long as I don't stream too much( pretty much any) the 300 MB will last.

• Like 1

Sprint just released a new PRL this morning so be sure to update your PRL's. 55058 is the new one

I got the same prl update

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Get the charges removed on what grounds? Your line sounds like it incurred legitimate data roaming charges. You know, getting courtesy credits may be one contributing reason why roaming is so limited and/or expensive. Somebody has to pay for the courtesy credits.

AJ

There was no indication that it had switched countries. It was still the MTN network, but it happened to switch to a site in another country where Sprint has different roaming agreements for Open World. Even though it's the same company in both countries. No way to lock it to just the South African MTN network (normally you can lock it to a provider or set it to automatic to let it auto select). It was set to MTN.

From looking at details on Sprint's international roaming partners, they just added Swaziland MTN to Open World roaming partners in their list, but it's not officially listed yet on the main page so is billed at the non Open World rate. https://www.sprint.com/popups/pop-gprsCarriers.html

My impression is they're in the process of adding them, but it's not official yet. In other words, it was a bug and should not have used that network.

Sent from my Pixel XL

There was no indication that it had switched countries. It was still the MTN network, but it happened to switch to a site in another country where Sprint has different roaming agreements for Open World. Even though it's the same company in both countries. No way to lock it to just the South African MTN network (normally you can lock it to a provider or set it to automatic to let it auto select). It was set to MTN.

From looking at details on Sprint's international roaming partners, they just added Swaziland MTN to Open World roaming partners in their list, but it's not officially listed yet on the main page so is billed at the non Open World rate. https://www.sprint.com/popups/pop-gprsCarriers.html

My impression is they're in the process of adding them, but it's not official yet. In other words, it was a bug and should not have used that network.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Wow, that is a pretty bizarre situation...I think they will probably drop the charges.

Wow, that is a pretty bizarre situation...I think they will probably drop the charges.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it either way. It was only about 1MB (~$15 ish), so basically background data, not active phone usage. It's still a pretty absurd roaming rate though.

Sent from my Pixel XL