T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Proceed sir. I'm just letting you know what was released to employees.

I'll defer to you then. I am happy @ $15 a month but that doesnt mean I wouldn't be happier at $1 a month :)

I'll see how it all settles out over the next day or two.

Tmobile just posted this on there twitter page. Apparently they are the best wireless carrier of choice. Whoever this company is that tested, the article says they tested 6 cities so it's no surprise tmobile didn't get a worse score

1b72b6d86795fa989481f72b21c564de.jpg

Heres the article

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-phone-carriers,review-3066.html?cmpid=SOC_SM_TMSGD1RNKN_PVZ1N50CKQ12447&003=6642122

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Tmobile just posted this on there twitter page. Apparently they are the best wireless carrier of choice. Whoever this company is that tested, the article says they tested 6 cities so it's no surprise tmobile didn't get a worse score

Heres the article

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-phone-carriers,review-3066.html?cmpid=SOC_SM_TMSGD1RNKN_PVZ1N50CKQ12447&003=6642122

I'm not sure how Sprint got less than the other carriers for plans. Also, I'm not sure why they only tested 6 cities to give them performance rating. This is possibly the least comprehensive network ranking I've ever seen in my life.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how Sprint got less than the other carriers for plans. Also, I'm not sure why they only tested 6 cities to give them performance rating. This is possibly the least comprehensive network ranking I've ever seen in my life.

Maybe Tom is not good at science.

AJ

• Like 6

Ya the plan rating could have definitely been higher. I also don't understand how there network was that much worse than everyone else. Let alone tmobile. All 3 carriers were within points of each other yet sprint was like 7 or 8 points behind

Heres the article

Wow, that was terrible and no surprise legere is running with it. They need all the help it can get even if it isn't legit. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

• Like 2

Wow, that was terrible and no surprise legere is running with it. They need all the help it can get even if it isn't legit. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Ya john will trash talk rootmetrics when they rate his network poorly but then when this barely heard of test gets released and he sees hes on top, hes the first to praise it

• Like 5

Heres the article

T-Mobile has better "performance" than AT&T and Sprint? And better plans, including Verizon, on this test? In others words, they're saying Sprint has the 2nd worst plans and the worst performance. 

And phone selection. AT&T gets best, but that's strange. They shouldn't be last, but Sprint and Verizon should get better scores being Sprint is notorious for having a good selection, and Verizon technically has exclusive Android phones like the Droid line.

None of it makes any sense, so it begs the question: who the heck is Tom?  ;)

• Like 1

I think there's plenty of realistic complaints for Root and their methodology. Fair enough. I could literally name any other test (Ookla, PC Mag fastest network, etc.) and it would have a deeper sample size than that. People who mention that the crowd sourced level of data on Ookla being higher then blow their credibility sky high citing this test.

I honestly don't get it.

<p>From toms hardware? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>The plans being better than verizon I understand although it's  subjective,  what's better for one is not for everyone. Iirc they came out so we'll in the network test as 5 of the 6 locations were cities. This isnt a serious review and ranking, it's pretty effective click bait though so it probably achieved their goal. It doesn't sock me that Legere jumped on it like a fast kid on the last piece of pie, is well known that any test that shows then in a positive light is amazing and any that don't are 'flawed'. </p>

Tom's Guide use too be one of the major tech site on the internet in the late 90s/early 2000s, along with its internet competitor Anandtech, before there were smartphones. These sites primarily covered PC tech. I'm surprised anyone would even consider Tom's Guide as being a reputable resource on wireless when its relevancy went out a long time ago.

Looks like Tmoble has started lighting up a large number of markets with their Extended Range LTE (700 MHz). That is good news to see how the cverage is indoors.

Most of them have had band 12 for a while, they are just "officially" launching it now.

• Like 1

My opinion on T-Mobile is starting to sway a bit with the news over on the thread about Sprint's decision not to participate in the 600mhz auction. I'm hoping John Legere is wise enough in having T-Mobile at least attempt to obtain a minimum of 15x15 600mhz, if not 20x20 600mhz, or perhaps 20x20 at least in markets where there isn't 700mhz, while the rest of the nation at 15x15.

If he makes sure of this and T-Mobile is successful, T-Mobile will easily be the best carrier, I think, unless Sprint really does wonders with NGN. I'm still hoping Sprint will acquire T-Mobile at some point though.

First off, 600MHz will not be in nationwide licenses. They will have hand to hand combat for every sliver in HUNDREDS of markets. Also, many markets won't clear enough or much spectrum.

The concern for 600 is way oveblown. The most available spectrum is in rural areas, where it's hardly needed. Some urban areas may not have any at all come open.

And in markets where Tmo will have a shot to buy a 15x15 share, it will likely be three separate licenses that they will have to compete for. Maybe just getting 5x5 or 10x10. And the licenses may not be contiguous in many instances.

Every market is going to be different. It's going to be a messy hodge podge with very little consistency. What carriers end up with will be highly varied. And I fully expect another delay still.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

First off, 600MHz will not be in nationwide licenses. They will have hand to hand combat for every sliver in HUNDREDS of markets. Also, many markets won't clear enough or much spectrum.

The concern for 600 is way oveblown. The most available spectrum is in rural areas, where it's hardly needed. Some urban areas may not have any at all come open.

And in markets where Tmo will have a shot to buy a 15x15 share, it will likely be three separate licenses that they will have to compete for. Maybe just getting 5x5 or 10x10. And the licenses may not be contiguous in many instances.

Every market is going to be different. It's going to be a messy hodge podge with very little consistency. What carriers end up with will be highly varied. And I fully expect another delay still.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Robert,

Thank you for clarifying the situation. I was hoping the 600mhz spectrum auction was going to be different than the other spectrum auctions and the 600mhz spectrum itself be arranged/distributed more equally/evenly. Your last paragraph sums up exactly what I dislike about how spectrum is divided, etc. by the FCC.

After all, the FCC being a federal agency, ought to be handling spectrum on a nationwide basis, not locally, not regionally, but nationally. This is my opinion and its a strong one. I really hate that there are such discrepancies between markets. I think it is a hugely unfair system and would love to see reforms to it.

I'd gather representatives around from all the carriers, have all the information on what has been spent already for which spectrum, then reconfigure it to an agreed upon revision, giving nationwide spectrum allocations to all carriers divided up by what has been spent and what is fair value on the remaining available spectrum.

After all, the FCC being a federal agency, ought to be handling spectrum on a nationwide basis, not locally, not regionally, but nationally. This is my opinion and its a strong one. I really hate that there are such discrepancies between markets. I think it is a hugely unfair system and would love to see reforms to it.

Why would a regional carrier want nationwide spectrum?  More importantly, how would they afford to pay for or build out nationwide spectrum?

- Trip

Why would a regional carrier want nationwide spectrum? More importantly, how would they afford to pay for or build out nationwide spectrum?

- Trip

In my opinion, I think there ought to be a separation between auctions. Nationwide carriers have alot more resources, primarily financial, than regional carriers. I don't think it is fair for regional carriers having to compete against national carriers for spectrum.

Hence, I'd separate auctions. National carriers for nationwide spectrum, Regional carriers for regional spectrum, which there would be spectrum set aside for. That is what I'd like to see done.

In my opinion, I think there ought to be a separation between auctions. Nationwide carriers have alot more resources, primarily financial, than regional carriers. I don't think it is fair for regional carriers having to compete against national carriers for spectrum.

Hence, I'd separate auctions. National carriers for nationwide spectrum, Regional carriers for regional spectrum, which there would be spectrum set aside for. That is what I'd like to see done.

I think what Robert is hitting on is the discrepancy of the cleared spectrum varying market to market.

Just as an off the top of my head example, New Orleans may be able to clear 50 MHz of spectrum, where Baton Rouge may only clear 40 MHz, and Jackson, MS clear only 30.

That example is just demonstrating that spectrum availability will vary market to market.

So in some markets the "reserve" for "smaller" carriers will be less in some markets than others which is variable based off of how much spectrum can be cleared by broadcasters in a given market.

Is there even a ratified band plan yet? This auction has just been one giant cluster mess from the get go.

• Like 2

The band plan has been adopted, and will be nationwide, however, certain licenses may not be sold as TV stations may occupy that spectrum.  Which licenses those are, we don't know yet, and can't until the auction starts.

- Trip