T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Legere's blog post was very misleading. He made it seem the national map was LTE coverage. Either native or through partners. We know it's not LTE coverage.

And not only is it EDGE in the Dakotas, but the signal is so grossly overstated. Even if they were using AT&T as their partner they couldn't claim that much coverage.

To me, it looks like they are using -140dBm RSSI for outdoor signal and setting the signal point 20'AGL in their mapping. And then filling in all signal strengths with magenta. Which would make for an impressive coverage map, but would leave it grossly inaccurate.

But hey, if you could get up on a 20' ladder face the direction of the site, you could find a -140dBm signal. It would have to be with a spectrum analyzer, because you'd never see or connect to it on a phone. And it would be EDGE or GPRS.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 17

Legere's blog post was very misleading. He made it seem the national map was LTE coverage. Either native or through partners. We know it's not LTE coverage.

And not only is it EDGE in the Dakotas, but the signal is so grossly overstated. Even if they were using AT&T as their partner they couldn't claim that much coverage.

To me, it looks like they are using -140dBm RSSI for outdoor signal and setting the signal point 20'AGL in their mapping. And then filling in all signal strengths with magenta. Which would make for an impressive coverage map, but would leave it grossly inaccurate.

But hey, if you could get up on a 20' ladder face the direction of the site, you could find a -140dBm signal. It would have to be with a spectrum analyzer, because you'd never see or connect to it on a phone. And it would be EDGE or GPRS.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

I want to see Fierce's comment spin on this....really do.

• Like 1

I want to see Fierce's comment spin on this....really do.

If Mr. Spin himself shows up he'd be going against his own people at this stage. Lots in the T-Mobile camp aren't happy.

Frankly, once this year is done and they hit 300 MM POP they would be best served starting with small cell, LAA, and adding macro cell depth in suburban and rural to enhance the breath and depth of what they have.

• Like 2

And there was me hoping they might announce something substantive. So basically they have fudged together a new coverage map that looks great but will is fantasy. So what happens when some more folks venture over from Verizon and find out the truth, they'll leave, never come back and tarnish tmo reputation even more. What we needed was something tangible today, more spectrum, towers or roaming. Not marketing hype. Trust arrives on foot and leaves by horse, he would do well to remember that.

• Like 9

And there was me hoping they might announce something substantive. So basically they have fudged together a new coverage map that looks great but will is fantasy. So what happens when some more folks venture over from Verizon and find out the truth, they'll leave, never come back and tarnish tmo reputation even more. What we needed was something tangible today, more spectrum, towers or roaming. Not marketing hype. Trust arrives on foot and leaves by horse, he would do well to remember that.

I don't know though, the hype train is strong, and only getting stronger. I've read many accounts of customers willing to take a hit on service for the cost savings, and pin their hopes at it getting better soon.

• Like 1

If Mr. Spin himself shows up he'd be going against his own people at this stage. Lots in the T-Mobile camp aren't happy.

Frankly, once this year is done and they hit 300 MM POP they would be best served starting with small cell, LAA, and adding macro cell depth in suburban and rural to enhance the breath and depth of what they have.

300 million POP, yeah right! That's as exaggerated as their map!
  • Like 1

I don't know though, the hype train is strong, and only getting stronger. I've read many accounts of customers willing to take a hit on service for the cost savings, and pin their hopes at it getting better soon.

It can still work for them to a certain degree in the better parts of certain cities. Otherwise, for most suburban and semirural users stuck in between islands of LTE and EDGE with some occasional H+, another validation of their marketing induced pro-Verizon bigotry for another 5-10 years.

And I don't care if it was serious or for the purpose of example, it will largely be a Verizon to T-Mobile and T-Mobile to Verizon thing. And Verizon is, yet again, delivering for all that swallow their BS with more enticing plans, to lure more people who like throwing cash out of their wallets like bread at birds. I've seen this for over a decade, but people still buy it up, with 2-3 carriers broadcasting probably LTE in their backyard.

The red check comforts many. Now a magenta smoke and mirrors show fulfills the broken souls of many others. What else is new? I pick normality. 

Yeah, please don't tell me anyone believes that bullshit. Please...

Edited by cortney
  • Like 1

T-Mobile's non gradient map is BS. Those little "_____ coverage in homes" things are not even accurate.

Not with AWS. Their descriptions are barely accurate for low-band LTE, as to when someone would drop to H+ in building (low-band W-CDMA) with their notorious non-urban sparsity. And while PCS and AWS can penetrate many homes, the wrong geography or an old brick or concrete building can help destroy that experience.

Just step inside! 

$10 says FierceWireless doesn't even report on it

If they haven't by now they aren't. Even they know it's BS with that coverage map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Their descriptions are barely accurate for low-band LTE, as to when someone would drop to H+ in building (low-band W-CDMA) with their notorious non-urban sparsity. 

T-Mobile's in-building labels are far more accurate than Sprint's "Good/Fair", and AT&T/Verizon's nothing-at-all.

I'm not defending T-Mobile's map, but as they say, "people who live in glass houses..."

• Like 1

Yeah, please don't tell me anyone believes that bullshit. Please...

Those statements are universally accurate for all the national carriers, do you think VZW covers all their map? I can attest they don't. AT&T's coverage map might be the worst of them all. Sprint's coverage maps need a lot of work too. We may as well say it's an area in need of industry wide reform and move on IMO.

I am disappointed in T-Mobile's maps too, but mainly because they don't update them with any real regularity, and don't really do anything to reform the broken coverage maps when they said they were going to reform coverage maps. I know some T-Mobile front line people and they were frustrated with how bad the maps were. T-Mobile is not alone here, though. That's my greater point.

Those statements are universally accurate for all the national carriers, do you think VZW covers all their map? I can attest they don't. AT&T's coverage map might be the worst of them all. Sprint's coverage maps need a lot of work too. We may as well say it's an area in need of industry wide reform and move on IMO.

I am disappointed in T-Mobile's maps too, but mainly because they don't update them with any real regularity, and don't really do anything to reform the broken coverage maps when they said they were going to reform coverage maps. I know some T-Mobile front line people and they were frustrated with how bad the maps were. T-Mobile is not alone here, though. That's my greater point.

Sprint's coverage maps need a massive overhaul in terms of the way the information is presented.  The coverage map square is way too small on sprint's coverage map.  It should take up the whole screen and for gosh sake's please update the look and feel of the maps because they look old and out of date. 

• Like 2

Sprint's coverage maps need a massive overhaul in terms of the way the information is presented.  The coverage map square is way too small on sprint's coverage map.  It should take up the whole screen and for gosh sake's please update the look and feel of the maps because they look old and out of date. 

I was going to bring up my rant, but it'd be for at least the third time so I passed.

Simply put, Sprint's coverage maps are ugly, embarrassing, constantly outdated, unrepresentative of their coverage and too meek. Also, if T-Mobile is going to put up their low-band map, that should maybe be another hint for Sprint to not only redo their coverage maps, but also do the same. 

Sprint has coverage in areas they claim as roaming. That has to stop. They need to figure out a better algorithm to meet the middle grounds between what the others are doing to viciously overclaim coverage, yet what must be down to not make consumers thinks Sprint has 20% of the coverage T-Mobile has in areas Sprint actually covers more or nearly double. 

• Like 9

Many of you know that I'm not a fan of T-Mobile by any means, despite that I have service with the company, primarily due to my mother having been satisfied with the company and price. Well, that last part has now changed.

My ZTE ZMAX LTE radio died last week, and I've been relying on the slow Uverse connection to the device, as the WiFi radio in it still works, along with a bit of the other mobile bands, though those rarely do as its mostly dead.

Anyways, I've only had the device for something like 6 to 8 months. Neither T-Mobile nor Metro PCS (where I got the device from) is willing to do anything to help me. The device is not at all damaged physically, and works in every other way, except for the LTE radio being broken and the mobile radio for the other bands sometimes works, though rarely. ZTE also is refusing to do anything to help.

So now that we are out the $100 it cost to purchase the device, along with T-Mobile's unwillingness to do anything about this, my mother finally is completely fine about leaving T-Mobile without any attachment left to them, unlike in the past when we went with Sprint. As for me, I can't be unbiased when speaking about T-Mobile, so much I feel the same level of dislike towards T-Mobile as Fabian does towards Sprint.

Although to mention something more on topic at least, I definitely do not like this new crap T-Mobile/John Legere has said about their network along with that ridiculous new coverage map. From that, it appears as if they have as much coverage as Verizon does, which we all know is complete B.S.

• Like 2

Many of you know that I'm not a fan of T-Mobile by any means, despite that I have service with the company, primarily due to my mother having been satisfied with the company and price. Well, that last part has now changed.

My ZTE ZMAX LTE radio died last week, and I've been relying on the slow Uverse connection to the device, as the WiFi radio in it still works, along with a bit of the other mobile bands, though those rarely do as its mostly dead.

Anyways, I've only had the device for something like 6 to 8 months. Neither T-Mobile nor Metro PCS (where I got the device from) is willing to do anything to help me. The device is not at all damaged physically, and works in every other way, except for the LTE radio being broken and the mobile radio for the other bands sometimes works, though rarely. ZTE also is refusing to do anything to help.

So now that we are out the $100 it cost to purchase the device, along with T-Mobile's unwillingness to do anything about this, my mother finally is completely fine about leaving T-Mobile without any attachment left to them, unlike in the past when we went with Sprint. As for me, I can't be unbiased when speaking about T-Mobile, so much I feel the same level of dislike towards T-Mobile as Fabian does towards Sprint.

Although to mention something more on topic at least, I definitely do not like this new crap T-Mobile/John Legere has said about their network along with that ridiculous new coverage map. From that, it appears as if they have as much coverage as Verizon does, which we all know is complete B.S.

IDK if 18 gigs is enough for you but Verizon is running a promo right now of 18 gigs for $100 and that cost apparently includes the first line. After that it's $20 per line. I know you've talked about wanting to go to them before so I thought I'd mention that if you didn't know about it.
  • Like 1

IDK if 18 gigs is enough for you but Verizon is running a promo right now of 18 gigs for $100 and that cost apparently includes the first line. After that it's $20 per line. I know you've talked about wanting to go to them before so I thought I'd mention that if you didn't know about it.

Thank you for the information on the new Verizon plan option. I'm strongly considering that, though I really want the Sony Xperia Z4v to go along with it. My concern though is that the device still isn't available despite many reports the past few months listing a few different release dates that have already passed. I'm starting to think the device may have been cancelled, though I have some hope that the August 13th date Sony had advertised yet pulled, may have been intended as September 13th or 14th, but again that is just my hope.

I've also considered going back with Sprint and am wondering if there is any information on how the rf performance is on the new Apple IPhone 6s Plus. If it is pretty good, I'm thinking of possibly having a one-year lease on it.

This new XXL plan (18gb) does not include the first line. It's still $20/line, so $120/month.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 2

This new XXL plan (18gb) does not include the first line. It's still $20/line, so $120/month.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

It would be nice if it did include the first line, at least. The $20 per line charge is ridiculously overpriced. I think added lines ought to go back to being $10 each per month as it use to be that way for many years, until shareable data buckets were introduced.

After all my thinking of pricing plans and the different details and ways they can be designed and offered, I've settled on the concept of a simple $45 monthly for one line that includes everything, except data and the cost of the phone. Data ought to be by the GB, which at most be $3 per GB, though I think it ought to be $1 per GB.

Even though the 18gb $100 plan on Verizon will work for me, I don't know how it is enough for large families sharing that amount of data. Four lines on that plan at $20 per line, is $180 monthly, which is $45 per line with 4.5gb each line, $10 per GB, $5 for the half GB. I'm wondering how Verizon expects their video content business to be successful at that rate. With the $15 per GB overage, people on these plans, many of them at least, must be watching data usage pretty closely considering.

I don't know how it is enough for large families sharing that amount of data

Verizon and AT&T firmly believe their own bullsh*t that 96-ish% of their customers use 2 or less gigabytes per month.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 1

Verizon and AT&T firmly believe their own bullsh*t that 96-ish% of their customers use 2 or less gigabytes per month.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

probably because it's true, not by choice but because overages are way to expensive.  almost everyone i know has cellular data turned off for the last week or so of their billing month, because they get the data cap warning text (witch is conveniently delayed by a day or two) by the time they get the %75 percent text they check online and find they have less than %5 left, they hate it! 

Pooled data that just uses the same rate would also solve this problem, right? That's what Google Fi uses.

I don't see what the big gain on charging more for data is once you cross over a certain threshold is from a consumer point of view.

• Like 1

tiered data isn't the problem, the problem is the cost per gb in those tiers.

18gb for $100 isn't too unreasonable for Verizon service tbh (it's too high for my use, and wallet, but if you NEED Verizon coverage, and use a bit of data, it's probably a great deal). consider that plenty of people on Cricket and Boost pay $55 for 10gb.

there ARE some people who just plain don't use their phone that often. I get by with 2gb on Boost right now (im really busy lately). in fact, I haven't even hit the cap this month. between wifi and just not using my phone all the time, I used about 1.2gb this month. why the hell would I pay for more data I'm not going to use? even if the data is cheap, it's data I don't need.

look at MetroPCS' tiers: 1gb for $30, 2gb for $40, 4gb for $50? is $10 really worth 1 extra gb? the problem is the price per gb, not the fact that they offer just 2gb. compared to say, Boost, it's $10 more. even compared to Cricket it's more money for less data.