T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

T-Mobile could have up to $10B for 600Mhz auction... http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-cfo-600-mhz-incentive-auction-dynamics-are-positive-carrier-could/2015-09-30

They plan to bid to complete their low band portfolio to have a nationwide low band combined of 600 and 700. Then they would like to buy 600 in metro areas to supplement their spectrum portfolio in those areas (more capacity). Also some hints that merger/acquisition news coming.

Wow!

This is surprising to me, but then I feel totally stupid for thinking that T-Mobile would actually take an auction seriously. Considering how low they bid and how little spectrum they won at the AWS-3 auction, I should have figured on this auction being no different in terms of them not going at this with as much spectrum they possibly could reasonably get. Yet, I actually believed they were going to take this auction seriously.

For T-Mobile to say they aren't going after the full 30mhz reserve when they practically have no real competition for it, granted if the television broadcasters are willing, is really perplexing. It seems as if T-Mobile is gearing up for 5x5 of it, then to call it a day, considering how they are setting up this financial "cap" on themselves.

Granted, it is wise for any business to have a budget, but this is quite telling of what they are likely aiming for, and shows that it really isn't enough for them, unless of course, they are to merge into a larger company. Despite that I really don't like T-Mobile, this is more disappointing to me than the Sprint announcement, as I gave T-Mobile some credit based on their interest in this auction being something I actually thought they were taking quite seriously.

I thought T-Mobile was going to go balls to the wall at this auction the way they were talking. That article was something to read.

Edit: maybe T-Mobile is just buying enough to sweeting the price pot when they are being bought. The current T-Mobile has no intentions on building that 600mhz out. That'll be left to do by the new owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

T-Mobile can't win 30 MHz and take all the reserve in a given area, IIRC.

Well, at least they could try getting that "amount", even if it isn't allowed for them to get all of the reserve spectrum, though so far, I haven't heard anything from any tech site saying T-Mobile has restrictions on how much of the reserve they are allowed to get. However, if there is such a restriction, then there is yet another bad aspect to this auction in having yet another bidding restriction additional to the one the FCC already has on AT&T and Verizon.

Anyways, the article on FW, Magentan commenter WillieD, is expressing his disappointment about this, which is good to see one of T-Mobile's strongest supporters being against this decision. I'm curious about what Fabian is going to say, though I'd imagine he"ll have an excuse for it.

My armchair analyst opinion of this is that T-Mobile will bid heavily for 10x10 blocks nationally, including in major metros (as both AT&T and Verizon are screened from participating in the reserve portion there). The other 5x5 in the spectrum reserve will go to squatters. Verizon will try and pick up 10x10 or perhaps larger in the non-reserved portion. AT&T will probably bid cautiously, picking up a patchwork of spectrum.

One thing about the 30mhz reserve - it is up to 30mhz depending on how much spectrum the broadcasters give up for auction.  There's no guarantee there will be 30mhz reserved in each market, let alone 20mhz or 10mhz.

• Like 4

Carter also offered a glimpse into T-Mobile's plans for the auction. He said the carrier would like to create a nationwide footprint of low-band spectrum. He noted the carrier already has 700 MHz A Block spectrum covering roughly 190 million POPs, and that T-Mobile plans to purchase 600 MHz licenses that cover the remaining parts of the country it doesn't already cover with 700 MHz licenses. Carter predicted that likely wouldn't cost T-Mobile more than $1 billion to $1.5 billion in bids.

Closer reading also reveals that they never said T-Mobile would have $10B to bring to the auction. The article doesn't bring up the $10B figure once, so I think that's a typo...

Thanks Fraydog and avb for the additional information regarding the reserve spectrum. I've learned alot from Trip about how this auction depends heavily on broadcasters willingness to give up spectrum, but I still figured the reserve spectrum maxed out at 30mhz everywhere. I'm surprised by how different this auction is from what I figured of it before, which was more akin to past auctions.

In areas where the reserve is smaller than 30 MHz, T-Mobile may just have to settle for 5x5.

And for all we know, it may end up being a smaller reserve everywhere except for rural Western/Plains markets.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

Eeeeek! I read some of the comments and hmmm. I wonder..,I just wonder.

• Like 1

Uh-oh

T-Mobile customers exposed in major Experian data breach - The Verge

https://apple.news/AK4xT5jF0RGSZE7pXc5iEPg

I love how the commenters blame Experian.  If this was Sprint and Experian, it would be Sprint's fault.  Like the Chrysler Connect fiasco.

• Like 10

Who's to blame for this?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sirius-t-mobile-spat-over-airwave-interference-1443649368

"Sirius XM customers in a few big cities have been complaining about losing their satellite radio signal and the company says it has found the culprit: interfering T-Mobile cellphone towers. "

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Who's to blame for this?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sirius-t-mobile-spat-over-airwave-interference-1443649368

That pesky band 12 lol. I kid I kid

• Like 1

Who's to blame for this?

"Sirius XM customers in a few big cities have been complaining about losing their satellite radio signal and the company says it has found the culprit: interfering T-Mobile cellphone towers. "

How dare they accuse Gentle John of a misdeed!

maxresdefault.jpg

I guess cranking those LTE radios as high as possible did have a side effect. I'm sure Arysyn would say it's OK because no one uses Sirius anymore (a la OTA).  They can just stream their music now.  And it's free on Tmo anyway.  As long as Legere picks your music service as a winner.   ;)

• Like 7

Gotta cover that 300 mil somehow.

What's 300 million, between friends?  Every Tmo customer is one of John's friends.  It's like a big party, every day, with our buddy Johnny.  WOOT!

Except for it's akin to paying people to be your friends.  And you always have to pay for the food and booze too.

What's 300 million, between friends? Every Tmo customer of one of John's friends. It's like a big party, every day, with our buddy Johnny. WOOT!

Except for it's akin to paying people to be my friends. And I always have to pay for the food and booze too.

Maybe you will receive a pink T shirt though.

How dare they accuse Gentle John of a misdeed!

maxresdefault.jpg

I guess cranking those LTE radios as high as possible did have a side effect. I'm sure Arysyn would say it's OK because no one uses Sirius anymore (a la OTA). They can just stream their music now. And it's free on Tmo anyway. As long as Legere picks your music service as a winner. ;)

Are you sure the OTA television antennas aren't interfering with the satellite services, since there is a big boom in the comeback of OTA television, free from all of those pesky bundles and the corrupt cable service representatives ????

Actually, I don't mind satellite radio, though I don't understand why people would choose listening to radio music stations that pick all the songs for people to listen to, when people could just as easily program their smartphones, tablets, mp3 players, etc. with music they choose to listen to.

Although, news, weather, and traffic broadcasts still have an important place in car travel, so that by no means is outdated and replaceable, yet.

Are you sure the OTA television antennas aren't interfering with the satellite services, since there is a big boom in the comeback of OTA television, free from all of those pesky bundles and the corrupt cable service representatives

Awesome.  That's a funny comeback.  Good job.   :coolbeans:

• Like 2

Are you sure the OTA television antennas aren't interfering with the satellite services, since there is a big boom in the comeback of OTA television, free from all of those pesky bundles and the corrupt cable service representatives ????

Actually, I don't mind satellite radio, though I don't understand why people would choose listening to radio music stations that pick all the songs for people to listen to, when people could just as easily program their smartphones, tablets, mp3 players, etc. with music they choose to listen to.

Although, news, weather, and traffic broadcasts still have an important place in car travel, so that by no means is outdated and replaceable, yet.

Don't forget live sports and Howard Stern.

• Like 1