T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

I have Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon and I have to agree that T-Mobile in my metro area is getting worse by the day. There is no consistancy in network speed with T-Mo and I see more and more 4G on my iPhone 6s Plus in areas that used to show LTE.

Verizon still works well and Sprint starts to kill them all in terms in speed and service.

• Like 5

John Legere bought a penthouse in New York City :

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/10/john-legere-drops-18-million-on-new-york-city-penthouse/

Eh, while I like the medieval-style architecture, I think that money would be better spent on a nice large house in some tropical area with a huge swimming pool, than a smallish, mostly one-story unit. Although, that tower is nice.

Impressed at T-mobiles progress. On Saturday I went back to my undergrad for homecoming. last time I was there two years ago that campus had nothing but gprs and if you are lucky E. My school is located in Wilberforce OH which is rural area hence for the gprs and E. Anyways, I took my unlocked iPhone 6 Plus and got a prepaid sim from Walmart to test that area.

Highway wise I held a lte signal was it crazy fast no the most I saw was 10mbps. My Sprint phone busted out 30+. Once I got on campus. To my surprise I held that T-mobile lte signal with a cap speed of 8mbps. My Sprint service hasn't changed when on campus. There was lte with Sprint on campus but it was quick to fall off and go back to 3G which was unusable. But I was shocked at the level of service I did receive especially on campus from T-Mobile based on what I saw 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I connected to a new T-Mobile site in Orange, VA yesterday on my MetroPCS phone.  It's co-located with Verizon and AT&T.  (nTelos-to-be-Shentel/Sprint is elsewhere in town.)

- Trip 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like T-Mobile is making some great expansion over in South Dakota. How's T-Mobile looking over there, Robert?

A few live sites in the area. It's coming along quickly. That part is impressive. B12 at all sites, and also B4 at busy sites. Unfortunately, it's all 5x5. They really should have done a 10x10 in AWS.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 3

A few live sites in the area. It's coming along quickly. That part is impressive. B12 at all sites, and also B4 at busy sites. Unfortunately, it's all 5x5. They really should have done a 10x10 in AWS.

Are you going to use T-Mobile as your primary line once the area is blanketed?  From your post history, it appears AT&T has some ridiculous voice quality up there. :o

Are you going to use T-Mobile as your primary line once the area is blanketed? From your post history, it appears AT&T has some ridiculous voice quality up there. :o

Maybe. I have a Tmo Prepaid line already. And I have a Google Fi SIM card coming with my Nexus 6P. I'm going to monitor T-Mobile deployment up here. If the coverage and performance is adequate for our needs, we will commute all our lines to Tmo. Then I would just change my Tmo prepaid line to an AT&T Prepaid line for monitoring that network.

So I haven't made up my mind, yet. But I'm watching. I really would have like to see T-Mobile deploy one 10x10 carrier in AWS.

• Like 1

Looks like T-Mobile is making some great expansion over in South Dakota. How's T-Mobile looking over there, Robert?

How much of a expansion has T-Mobile done in SD thus far?

Maybe. I have a Tmo Prepaid line already. And I have a Google Fi SIM card coming with my Nexus 6P. I'm going to monitor T-Mobile deployment up here. If the coverage and performance is adequate for our needs, we will commute all our lines to Tmo. Then I would just change my Tmo prepaid line to an AT&T Prepaid line for monitoring that network.

So I haven't made up my mind, yet. But I'm watching. I really would have like to see T-Mobile deploy one 10x10 carrier in AWS.

5x5 is probably enough due to the lack of T-Mobile subscribers in the area, but I imagine in a few months out, they'll upgrade to 10x10 once they add a lot of subscribers in the area.  Is there any H+ being turned on, or solely LTE?

• Like 1

How much of a expansion has T-Mobile done in SD thus far?

Nothing crazy yet.  Just checking with Robert here because I know he's in that area.

Going based on this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3pa7s0/south_dakota_is_coming_to_life_for_native_coverage/

I won't link TmoNews because of the horrible ad infestation they have there.  But they also have a write-up on that.

Nothing crazy yet. Just checking with Robert here because I know he's in that area.

Going based on this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3pa7s0/south_dakota_is_coming_to_life_for_native_coverage/

I won't link TmoNews because of the horrible ad infestation they have there. But they also have a write-up on that.

Thanks for that link. I'm really intrigued to see how fast and the quality of the network in SD. I did see some comments of people who have started to map that area. I hope they have have speed tests to follow up with it also.

Possibly T-Mobile preparing for 700Mhz deployment in San Diego?  

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning-commission/pdf/pcreports/2015/pc15108.pdf

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning-commission/pdf/pcreports/2015/pc15102.pdf

On the plans shows they putting up KATHREIN 80010766V01 700 MHz Dual Band 8', 65 Degree Antennas?

Possibly a deal is done to obtain 700Mhz in San Diego County.

Possibly T-Mobile preparing for 700Mhz deployment in San Diego?

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning-commission/pdf/pcreports/2015/pc15108.pdf

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning-commission/pdf/pcreports/2015/pc15102.pdf

On the plans shows they putting up KATHREIN 80010766V01 700 MHz Dual Band 8', 65 Degree Antennas?

Possibly a deal is done to obtain 700Mhz in San Diego County.

That seems pretty definitive that they will soon officially own 700a in San Diego. Nothing has hit the FCC ULS yet to my knowledge.

Also, that's a 4 sector site with 2xAIR21 and 2x700 antenna per sector. What an insane setup.

• Like 1

If T-Mobile were to obtain the AB License Co 700A spectrum, that would be in these markets:

Norfolk
Macon (WSST)
Pensacola (WBIF)
New Orleans
Baton Rouge
Fayetteville AR
Vegas
Phoenix (KPPX)
Tucson
San Diego

The parentheses indicate TV channel 51 stations that may need to be relocated.

- Trip

• Like 4

I have been told that these site plan's may be maximum build, and may get built with much lower loads.

Essentially they can go before the city with the biggest possible eyesore and get that approved, then they can scale that back down, knowing they can get approval for more if the time comes down the road. That or they expect to get the license in the future, thus future-proofing.

I have also been told that AB License Co has been seen in permits in San Diego building out (co-location) protection sites. I can't confirm that, but it is something I have been told.

As someone who lives in AB License Co territory, I would love to be wrong in this case, and see T-Mobile scoop it up.

T-Mobile is the least dense network in New Orleans by a long shot, and with most of the spacing, this would almost perfectly fill in most, if not all, gaps in the greater New Orleans area.

If T-Mobile were to obtain the AB License Co 700A spectrum, that would be in these markets:

Norfolk

Macon (WSST)

Pensacola (WBIF)

New Orleans

Baton Rouge

Fayetteville AR

Vegas

Phoenix (KPPX)

Tucson

San Diego

The parentheses indicate TV channel 51 stations that may need to be relocated.

- Trip

I would love Tmobile to buy all the AB, Continuum, and Cavalier licenses eventually.  But if Tmobile can acquire all the AB licenses soon that would be a great addition to their 700 MHz network.  That way Tmobile can stagger their 700 MHz deployments.

• Like 1

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/report-dt-might-sell-t-mobile-netherlands-fund-t-mobile-us-600-mhz-purchase/2015-10-21

Report: DT might sell T-Mobile Netherlands to fund T-Mobile US' 600 MHz purchases

So, DT changed their mind and decided to focus on US?

I think that's pretty dope it that becomes to be true. With thy being said, I wonder how much scaling back (johns colorful personality) will the head make him do since it's no fire sale of the carrier?

I think that's pretty dope it that becomes to be true. With thy being said, I wonder how much scaling back (johns colorful personality) will the head make him do since it's no fire sale of the carrier?

It does not need to be fire sale. If there are potential buyers, it would be easier for them to get a loan.

There has been alot of talk in the 600mhz auction thread of the spectrum. I have some ideas with that, but also one for this thread addressing T-Mobile's promotions, the latest one they brought back from a few months ago I think is both good and bad.

The bad part, which many of T-Mobile's promotions have, is their ignorance of individual lines. I suggest T-Mobile has one that gives the customer an option for affordable per gb, or slow but usable throttling.

My idea is for one line at $45 monthly, which includes unlimited talk & text. Data can be chosen one of two ways. The per gb option is $1.50 per gb, essentially making it - $60 monthly for 10gb, $75 monthly for 20gb, $90 monthly for 30gb, etc. The throttling option remains at $45 monthly with unlimited data, though the data speed is throttled at 1.5mbps which is fast enough for FLAC music streaming and standard definition video, perhaps with some light buffering.

There has been alot of talk in the 600mhz auction thread of the spectrum. I have some ideas with that, but also one for this thread addressing T-Mobile's promotions, the latest one they brought back from a few months ago I think is both good and bad.

The bad part, which many of T-Mobile's promotions have, is their ignorance of individual lines. I suggest T-Mobile has one that gives the customer an option for affordable per gb, or slow but usable throttling.

My idea is for one line at $45 monthly, which includes unlimited talk & text. Data can be chosen one of two ways. The per gb option is $1.50 per gb, essentially making it - $60 monthly for 10gb, $75 monthly for 20gb, $90 monthly for 30gb, etc. The throttling option remains at $45 monthly with unlimited data, though the data speed is throttled at 1.5mbps which is fast enough for FLAC music streaming and standard definition video, perhaps with some light buffering.

Carriers have a reason for pushing family plans though, so I don't expect that to change. When your have multiple lines, it makes it much harder to switch carriers.

• Like 2

Carriers have a reason for pushing family plans though, so I don't expect that to change. When your have multiple lines, it makes it much harder to switch carriers.

Very true.

Plus, with certain of those bucket plans being quite expensive, it is worth it to add more lines. Therefore, the plans appear successful. Although, I'm still hoping they'll change eventually.