Sprint Meets Its 2014 Network Milestones; Sets Its Sights on the Year Ahead

dkyeager

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/sprint-meets-its-2014-network-milestones-sets-its-sights-on-the-year-ahead.htm

Press comment #1: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analyst-sprint-likely-hit-spark-buildout-target-2014-will-focus-small-cells/2014-12-17

My comment relating mostly to Ohio:  The International Boundary Exclusion Zone (IBEZ) of 87 miles and Sprint's defacto buffer zone of 30 miles or more, reaching into most sites in the northern half of the Columbus metro area, will very likely not have 1x800 service by the end of the year.  There has been a small amount of movement lately, but that could easily be taken away just as it has in the past.

Sprint has been going gangbusters on B41 LTE 2500/2600.  I am puzzled as to why their B41 LTE 2500/2600 coverage maps contain fictional areas while ignoring areas where it has existed for months. However, they do seem to be able to deliver on these maps within several months. 

B26 LTE 800 is a great service.  Optimization of each individual band is going well.  Optimization of getting the best utilization of the overall triband experience needs significant work in many areas. 

Small cells fascinate us -- we have been watch Verizon built and extensive small Cell network in Columbus that they have yet to deploy.  While we would love to see some Sprint small cells here in a few places, they are better suited for NYC, LA, and Chicago.  

No discussion of B25 LTE 1900 second carrier which seems to be expanding into many markets.

• Like 6

What are some milestones you guys would like to see by the end of 2015? 

For me, complete VoLTE rollout, complete B26 LTE rollout and more rural coverage.

Beginning of small cell deployment in Sprint's largest markets and in stadiums and sports arenas nationwide. The first RRPP members activating LTE service for Sprint.

VoLTE rollout is probably at least 2 years away imo for sprint. 

I think VoLTE is being tested right now/will be tested early next year and become active late next year. First commercial deployments should be in places that have super dense deployment and LTE nearly everywhere (Chicago, Indianapolis, etc.)

• Like 2

For me, complete VoLTE rollout, complete B26 LTE rollout and more rural coverage.

I want to do speed tests next to my friends who have Tmobile and other providers and have them gawk at my data speeds as they go over their data cap.

Edit: also, 250 million POPs on 2.5 ghz and small cell densification would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

• Like 4

I want to do speed tests next to my friends who have Tmobile and other providers and have them gawk at my data speeds as they go over their data cap.

Edit: also, 250 million POPs on 2.5 ghz and small cell densification would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

I personally want Sprint to show off what B41 is capable of.  Speedwise, it should be able to compete with T-Mobile's wideband LTE and it'll be even better on 8t8r panels.

But..I'd like B41 to really fill in the holes regarding the gaps on B25/B26.  Would be nice if I could keep a LTE signal going without dropping down to 3G because I stream radio in my car while commuting.

• Like 2

I would like to see B26 in the IBEZ zones(I can dream) and have 200mil Pop's with 2.5Ghz. I would also like to see a speed increase that peak data speeds can break 100Mbps

• Like 3

For me I would like Houston to be completely blanketed with b41 for a "Tokyo" like experience.  Yeah I'm selfish.

I was down in Jacksonville, FL this afternoon/evening and my Nexus 6 did its update from 5.0 to 5.0.1.  Well prior to that I was latching on more so to 800 towers and a bunch of Band 25.  Well after the update driving around, I was on Clear B41 the vast majority of my driving.   So I think that the 5.0.1 update may have helped with band priorities at the very least.  Just wanted to say that Jacksonville, FL is pretty much blanketed in Clear B41 and I picked up a few Sprint B41 sites throughout the city (3 that i noticed).  So progress is being made.  Slowly but surely...

• Like 1

I'd really like to have a usable, steady band 26 connection in my office. I can get an ok 3G and 1x signal most of the time, but I want to stop using our company open wifi network so I can stream music and not feel guilty. :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm kinda dissapointed by the lack of press surrounding this announcement. All of the most recent articles talk about the FCC fining Sprint.

That's because it shows signs of life with sprint and that they kept to their word. They rather not report the good but the bad instead. But I'm sure if sprint didn't make their goal that it'll be all over the tech blogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by derrph
  • Like 5

You know 2011-2013 I was very pessimistic about Sprint, I hated the network and had nothing but bad thoughts about its future.

Things changed in the last year though, they're not just dicking around. They're getting work done and actually are building a great network. Every time someone asks me "You're on Sprint? Aren't they terrible?" I sit there happily and tell them how much they've turned around. The news about Sprint meeting their deadlines is great news, and now that they plan to focus on small cell rollout that's even better.

Now we just need Robert to make us some small cell maps  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 9

"...Today we’re excited to announce that customers in 16 new markets including Charlotte, North Carolina, and Indianapolis, Indiana, will benefit from super-fast LTE data speeds running on our 2.5 GHz spectrum...."

Anyone know what the other 14 markets are? I presume this is the Band 41 rollout

Anyone know what the other 14 markets are? I presume this is the Band 41 rollout

* Modesto, CA

* Stockton, CA

* Visalia/Porterville, CA

* Coeur d'Alene, ID

* Indianapolis, IN

* Columbus, IN

* Battle Creek, MI

* Muskegon/Norton Shores, MI

* Burlington, NC

* Charlotte, NC

* Statesville/Mooresville, NC

* Wilson, NC

* Auburn, NY

* Canton/Massillon, OH

* New Castle, PA

* Racine, WI

• Like 7

I know everyone likes to win Speedtests however, I know of NO-ONE in my area that left Sprint because of their data. Everyone that I know that left Sprint left because of DROPPED CALLS.

This used do be a very strong Nextel area. So strong in fact that the local Lowes and Home Depot had a direct connect number posted inside the contractor entrance. I used to know hundreds of people with Nextel and sad to say very few of those people now have Sprint. When I ask them why they left Sprint for whomever they now have (usually Verizon) the answer without fail goes something like this....."The Direct Connect on Sprint only worked half the time which would not have been to big a deal IF THE PHONE WOULD HAVE WORKED! Seems every other call I made got dropped. I am trying to run business and need something that works"

EVERYONE SINGLE PERSON I KNOW that left Sprint left because of DROPPED CALLS.

The dropped call issue has gotten much better in the last year however it still causes problems occasionally. So the milestone that I want to see reached IS the ABILITY TO HAND OFF CALLS FROM 1900 TO 800 AND VICE VERSA. This would fix the remaining dropped call issues and might prevent the very few people I know still on Sprint from defecting. (Way back when Hesse announced NV he said this could be done) 

• Like 3