Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I don't think that's the case. I think the vast majority of opinions from the people who write these type of articles are VZW/AT&T/TMO subscribers who live in optimized markets (a/k/a, urban cores), and only hear the negative about sprint due to experiences from pre- or during the NV rollout.

Put simply, the people writing these articles aren't Sprint Subscribers and have formed an opinion on the network quality via groupthink.

It's very easy to conform to the Sprint hate when that's all you hear.....

• Like 2

It's a really annoying catch 22 with a bit of a positive feedback loop mixed in. The tech bloggers don't consider Sprint a legitimate provider, thus don't ever actually use them. When asked about their thoughts on the network, they just say whatever their family members or friends on Sprint say, although if their family/friends say that Sprint is good, the tech blogger will preface it with "I don't know how accurate this statement is [because everyone else says that Sprint is terrible], but my <friends/family> say it's fine."

The friend/family member in question usually has a cheap single band device.

This practice further discourages other tech bloggers from using Sprint because there is an illusion of equal representation of providers. Thus, nobody in the tech media world actually has any experience with Sprint as a daily driver. I have yet to see a single tech blogger that actually uses Sprint as a daily driver.

• Like 1

This practice further discourages other tech bloggers from using Sprint because there is an illusion of equal representation of providers. Thus, nobody in the tech media world actually has any experience with Sprint as a daily driver. I have yet to see a single tech blogger that actually uses Sprint as a daily driver.

I hope when the network is more competitive, Sprint makes a huge push to put CA-capable tri-band devices in the hands of influential tech press and let them take the network for a more accurate spin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I hope when the network is more competitive, Sprint makes a huge push to put CA-capable tri-band devices in the hands of influential tech press and let them take the network for a more accurate spin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

but why not today?

I find it difficult to shame the press 100% on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow. I'd expect more from Ars. There has been no evidence of throttling and I doubt Sprint will do it to people on these plans.

What is annoying, and IMHO unethical, is the sensationalized headline. Part of it reads that Sprint: will also cut your data speeds. Yet in the article they cite the actual policy which states: Other plans may receive prioritized bandwidth availability. To improve data experience for the majority of users, throughput may be limited, varied or reduced on the network.

One need not be much of a word-smith to clearly see that Ars took some liberty there. "Will" and "may" have distinctly different meanings and implications. To continue with the Star Wars theme of the article, I find Brodkin's lack of integrity disturbing.

Report the news, don't make it up.

• Like 5

but why not today?

I find it difficult to shame the press 100% on this.

Depends where these guys are reviewing the service. What if they are in SF? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Sprint is pretty weak there. I'm in NJ. You wouldn't want to give a guy a review unit here especially if they are used to VZW. Just check out that one guy who reviews for Phonescoop. He's from North Jersey and I can't remember the last time he had something positive to say. To be fair you can't really blame him. Sprint fell behind and hasn't kept up here. It's better but that isn't enough anymore. Honestly though, some of these guys will never come around. It's part of who they are at this point. 

• Like 1

they should give selected bloggers free 3-6 months of service with a quality tri-band device and see how things change.

Again, you really don't want that to happen, because Sprint is still in last-place on data in nearly every one of the urban cores that these writers would live/work in. Marcelo's team has the right idea here -- wait to push network messaging until the network is truly 100% ready (where, in my opinion anyway, "ready" means "at least not last place in RootMetrics speed index and/or data performance").

If Sprint actually did this, then Ars would use it for 2-5 days, and their next headline would read "Even with the latest phone, Sprint's Spark network still doesn't measure up to (Verizon/AT&T/TMO) in (Chicago/NYC/Detroit/Minneapolis/Seattle/San Francisco/Austin)"

It doesn't matter how close they get -- if they're behind by any noticeable/measurable amount, the story will simply read "Sprint is behind".

Don't give them the bait. Wait to push network messaging until the network is consistently good in all major markets.

• Like 7

Again, you really don't want that to happen, because Sprint is still in last-place on data in nearly every one of the urban cores that these writers would live/work in. Marcelo's team has the right idea here -- wait to push network messaging until the network is truly 100% ready (where, in my opinion "ready" means "at least not last place in RootMetrics speed index and/or data performance").

If Sprint actually did this, then Ars would use it for 2-5 days, and their next headline would read "Even with the latest phone, Sprint's Spark network still doesn't measure up to (Verizon/AT&T/TMO) in (Chicago/NYC/Detroit/Minneapolis/Seattle/San Francisco/Austin)"

Don't give them the bait. Wait to push network messaging until the network is consistently good in all major markets.

Flip side or devils advocate, it is almost 2015 and I know Sprint is making strides but...

Again, you really don't want that to happen, because Sprint is still in last-place on data in nearly every one of the urban cores that these writers would live/work in. Marcelo's team has the right idea here -- wait to push network messaging until the network is truly 100% ready (where, in my opinion anyway, "ready" means "at least not last place in RootMetrics speed index and/or data performance").

It doesn't matter how close they get -- if they're behind by any noticeable/measurable amount, the story will simply read "Sprint is behind".

Don't give them the bait. Wait to push network messaging until the network is consistently good in all major markets.

You are absolutely right.  It's one of those things that seems good in concept form, but if it did happen and blow up in Sprint's face, we would all be saying, "That was stupid!  Of course they were going to complain about Sprint service after trying it!  What were they thinking???"

Sprint just needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat and get B25/B26/B41 completed at every site in 2015.  Including GMO sites.  It is possible.  It will be expensive.  But it will be worth it.

• Like 17

You are absolutely right.  It's one of those things that seems good in concept form, but if it did happen and blow up in Sprint's face, we would all be saying, "That was stupid!  Of course they were going to complain about Sprint service after trying it!  What were they thinking???"

Sprint just needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat and get B25/B26/B41 completed at every site in 2015.  Including GMO sites.  It is possible.  It will be expensive.  But it will be worth it.

Getting 3 bands on every site is not enough, we need have the monster like China Mobile to team up with Sprint to add 200,000 sites into the coverage map for 1st round and another 200,000 sites to put coverage in every office building in top 10 metro and all elevators in top 5 metro and all subways and all shopping malls.

That's the answer of China Mobile gave to all doubts about the 2500mhz LTE in their monster roll out from last year. They are adding 2nd 200,000 sites in China now. You won't have any problem about penetration and less coverage on 2500mhz because you will have micro sites to cover major office buildings in all top metros including elevators over there.

But FCC just doesn't want to have the consumers here have a strong NO.3 to compete with twin bells.

• Like 3

But FCC just doesn't want to have the consumers here have a strong NO.3 to compete with twin bells.

I was with you right up until this sentence. What does the FCC have to do with Sprint's build-out? Sprint's decision to build or not build new sites has nothing to do with the FCC.

- Trip

• Like 1

Gotta thank Sprint for their voice quality. I just spoke with a co worker over cell and he has ATT....I could hardly make out a word he was saying. It sounded like he was talking through a tin can with a voice box on the end of it. I have NEVER experienced a phone call that crappy calling my friends on Sprint.

I guess I have been using HD voice, because its often so clear I can understand everything perfectly and its crystal clear. Sheesh....I would hate to be on ATT if thats what you have to deal with.

• Like 3

Gotta thank Sprint for their voice quality. I just spoke with a co worker over cell and he has ATT....I could hardly make out a word he was saying. It sounded like he was talking through a tin can with a voice box on the end of it. I have NEVER experienced a phone call that crappy calling my friends on Sprint.

I guess I have been using HD voice, because its often so clear I can understand everything perfectly and its crystal clear. Sheesh....I would hate to be on ATT if thats what you have to deal with.

Most of my family/friends aren't on Sprint but I had a phone call from Sprint support and the quality was so crystal clear I was impressed.  But yeah, whenever I talk to anyone that's using GSM, the quality is so muffled that it's almost pathetic.

• Like 2

I just spoke with a co worker over cell and he has ATT....I could hardly make out a word he was saying. It sounded like he was talking through a tin can with a voice box on the end of it. 

I was with a co-worker who has AT&T and he put his call on speakerphone and it sounded like a mix of whale calls and screaming cats in an echo chamber.  After a few seconds he just hung up -- even the NSA wouldn't have been able to make sense of it.

• Like 1

That's odd.. I always have great call quality on AT&T but horrible quality on Verizon, very compressed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's odd.. I always have great call quality on AT&T but horrible quality on Verizon, very compressed.

I think it's a market-by-market thing, in that some ATT markets run "half-rate" and some (most?) markets run "full-rate", although my memory of this is dated and I don't know if they still do that anymore.

I've always had slightly better voice quality on AT&T over Verizon here, but neither of them sound particularly great in comparison to Wideband / HD Voice.

• Like 1

I was with a co-worker who has AT&T and he put his call on speakerphone and it sounded like a mix of whale calls and screaming cats in an echo chamber.  After a few seconds he just hung up -- even the NSA wouldn't have been able to make sense of it.

I almost hung up and did FaceTime audio. It was so bad I had to ask him to repeat what he said a few times. Sheesh. We are spoiled over here on sprint. :P

• Like 2

Wow! This is a wonderful surprise to come out on top. Even if it is a 4-way tie *side eye*. Just give Sprint the number one spot.

bceab5f0da18227a67f0095b505e60aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 9

Wow! This is a wonderful surprise to come out on top. Even if it is a 4-way tie *side eye*. Just give Sprint the number one spot.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Looks like I need to visit it just to try it out. [emoji5]

Sent from my LG-LS980

Sent from my iPhone 6+

With all but two sprint sites live on lte 1900 and about 20-30 live clear band 41 sites it's about time a sprint city showed some competitiveness.

The need to retest Modesto next which has not only most clear sites active along with sprint but also lte 800 and sprint 2.5!

Edit: Also gotta love this..

This marks the fourth time we’ve tested the Stockton market. Our previous round of testing occurred in June 2014.

AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon shared the Overall RootScore Award. During our previous visit to Stockton, Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T shared this award.

Notably, this was the second time that Sprint has won or shared the Overall RootScore Award in any market we’ve tested to date.

Since our testing in June, Sprint officially launched LTE service in the area. Subsequently, Sprint’s median download speed increased from 0.3 Mbps to 12.6 Mbps, and Sprint’s median upload speed increased from 0.8 Mbps to 5.3 Mbps.

Sprint’s rate of blocked calls improved from 4.2% in June to 0.0% in this round of testing.

T-Mobile’s median download speed decreased from 10.2 Mbps to 7.1 Mbps.

Verizon’s median upload speed increased from 6.5 Mbps to 9.4 Mbps.

T-mobiles getting congested and Sprints B41 is surging ahead. Finally an area where people have more than 3 choices for a carrier! Competition!

• Like 6

I was using hands free Bluetooth through my car stereo on an AT&T call. And my boss yelled at me to get off Bluetooth because he could hardly understand me. I switched to the handset and he said it was no better. That's AT&T here. Awful voice quality. And Verizon is not much better. I can't wait for HD Voice and/or VoLTE.

Using Nexus 5 on Tapatalk

• Like 5

4th place in 1st half 2014

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/des-moines-ia/2014/1H

to 2nd place in 2nd half 2014

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/des-moines-ia/2014/2H

I'll take it! basically mirrors what i see around here too, having both a work phone on verizon and a personal phone on sprint. in some spots verizon wins on speed and in some spots sprint wins on speed, but overall they are both very usable and sprint is much better than what it was 9 months ago!!!

• Like 4