Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Meanwhile Century Link is merging with Level 3. Is Zayo next and would the resulting company be interested in Sprint? 

It could solve a lot of the fronthaul/backhaul problems.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/wireless-interest-fiber-might-lead-to-bidding-war-for-level-3

• Like 1

Looks like San Antonio just approved Mobilite permits for small cells build out..

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2016/10/28/california-company-to-build-wholesale-lte-network.html

Also mentioned in the article..

During a June technology conference, Mobilite CEO Gary Jabara told the crowd that his company has "built thousands of (small cell) sites and have thousands of approved permits in hand."

Hopefully we will start seeing more users start posting about some small cell experiences.

It would be nice if Sprint included in their map where the small cells will be going and gave a more accurate coverage map. And also includes in their map where towers were experiencing trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just a heads up, it's officially November 1st which means that the free Unlimited Freedom premium resolution streaming ins't working anymore. That said, YouTube is playing in HD over LTE without a problem. Maybe they haven't enforced the restriction yet?

• Like 1

I noticed some recent transactionary happenings in 2.5GHz licenses in my area on the FCC ULS. I saw a public notice statement a month or two ago mentioning Softbank taking ownership and such of some assets. Some titles changing, one mentioned being offlined to non use, some seemed to change hands to a new company.

I watched some folks take down our last substantial service site today. I figured I would check back to see if I could choke any insight into Sprint's plans here for L2.5 between the ULS being the ULS, and my general hopeclickery I find something I can decipher that is at all useful. I found this dood.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/attachments/attachmentViewRD.jsp;ATTACHMENTS=fNL8YZmp5gQJsGB0jGy2nYcCTqLyCq7vw6CQJdnTQCGYLWfmrTpR!1280695207!424252393?applType=search&fileKey=1177100813&attachmentKey=20030205&attachmentInd=applAttach

Looking it over seems to be a list of call signs for some of the licenses being transferred to licenseCo. I dropped this here so someone better at this than I can see if it is bureaucracy in action, if nothing of value was had, or cool stuff.

Source:http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applAdmin.jsp?applID=9825590

Sprint is undertaking a pro forma internal reorganization affecting certain wireless
licenses, leases, and other assets. As part of this reorganization, certain licenses held by the
Sprint Licensee Subsidiaries are to be partially assigned to Sprint Spectrum License Holder LLC
(“Assignee”), a new wholly owned subsidiary of Sprint.2
Partial assignment of these licenses
from one wholly owned Sprint subsidiary to a different wholly owned Sprint subsidiary is
considered to be pro forma under the Commission’s rules and precedent, as there will be no
“substantial change in ownership or control.”3
Ultimate control of the licenses will remain with
Sprint, and neither de jure nor de facto control of the licenses will change. 

It would be nice if Sprint included in their map where the small cells will be going and gave a more accurate coverage map. And also includes in their map where towers were experiencing trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be nice but unfortunately the last time Sprint tried to do something like this, the other carriers ran with it and poked holes in its lack of coverage areas in its commercials. I think its best to just stay under the radar.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Heads up! It seems like Sprint has enabled RCS to be used in the Google default messenger app since the new update for Nexus and Pixel phones has been prompting some users on Sprint and Project Fi to enable "enhanced features for Messenger". These include things like read receipts and typing indicators.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/03/rcs-going-live-google-messenger-users-enabling-enhanced-features-sms/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

RCS is official.

https://blog.google/products/android/partnering-global-carriers-upgrade-sms/

Today, we’re excited to announce the next step in this initiative with our first carrier launch supporting the new universal RCS profile. Together with Sprint, we’re launching RCS messaging to their customers using Android devices, starting today. 

Next year, all new Android devices from Sprint will come with Messenger for Android preloaded as the default SMS and RCS messaging experience. 

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Is this an update that I have to wait for to get pushed to my phone?

You just need Google Messenger 2.0. It's being rolled out in stages

is it possible third party apps like textra could utilize this somehow?

They've stated plans for an API but haven't announced that yet. Third party apps will be able implement it once that API is available

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At least Sprint is implementing a universal standard as opposed to one of their own like AT&T and T-Mobile implemented. That means that when more carriers switch over to the standard, they'll be cross-compatible.

• Like 2

At least Sprint is implementing a universal standard as opposed to one of their own like AT&T and T-Mobile implemented. That means that when more carriers switch over to the standard, they'll be cross-compatible.

The universal standard doesn't exist yet. They're implementing Google's standard.

The universal standard doesn't exist yet. They're implementing Google's standard.

The universal profile officially launches November 17th. Google and Sprint have already implemented it and are launching early.

From the release announcement: 

"Today, we’re excited to announce the next step in this initiative with our first carrier launch supporting the new universal RCS profile."

They are using Google's Jibe infrastructure to support RCS communications with the universal profile.

More about the jibe platform here: https://jibe.google.com/jibe-platform/

• Like 1

Here is what the GSMA has to say about Jibe. In short, it's not intercompatible right now, but will be once the Universal RCS Profile is implemented by carriers who choose to use it.

10. What is Google’s involvement in the project?

Google's carrier messaging company Jibe has developed a universal Android client based on the GSMA Universal Profile for Advanced Messaging. They are also offering a carrier hosted service for Operators to launch and manage Advanced Messaging services to their customers without deploying an Advanced Messaging or IMS infrastructure.

TL;DR It's based on the universal standard that's to be released later this month.

• Like 1