Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I usually try to steer clear of this Sprint vs T-Mobile fanboys war, but...

This has nothing to do with a "fanboys war" as you put it. The FierceWireless comments section was poorly moderated and you had insults, doxing and spam galore from accounts with throwaway emails.

• Like 5

I usually try to steer clear of this Sprint vs T-Mobile fanboys war, but...

You folks are too obsessed with what people think about Sprint. Y'all need to realize (and T-Mobile fans as well) that we are customers and not cheerleaders. Who cares what people think or say about a service or product you use. In fact, the more people criticize Sprint, the better it is for Sprint users. Sprint needs skepticism in order to keep pushing them to fix their image and network (and so does T-Mobile now that their LTE network is slower than their 3G in many places).

If y'all are seriously celebrating the closure of the comments section just because the people there said mean things about Sprint, then you've had it too easy in life. Whether those comment sections contained truthful or inaccurate information, it is not your obligation to defend Sprint. That's Sprint's PR team's job. This constant referencing to T-Mobile fans and writers who write unfavorable articles about Sprint is annoying and you're playing right into their trap by bringing the fight over here.

/RantOver.

I feel like you've been mislead if you think that we actually care whether people say bad things about Sprint. FierceWireless' issue wasn't that people were saying bad things about Sprint, it's that there were dozens of throwaways being used strictly with the purpose of insulting members of this site and also providing no constructive criticism. FierceWireless had the potential to be a serious telecommunications site but instead was plagued by trolls who basically ruined the value of it and in many ways likely reduced the amount of visitors they received to their site.

By closing their comments section they've gone the RCR Wireless route and RCR is one of the most referenced and respected sites on here. Why? Because it doesn't ave a toxic comment section. It's as simple as that. 

• Like 16

Also I want to add that even articles that didn't have anything to do with Sprint, the Godfather trolls (  S. ALI,  Fabian Cortez aka Spuckle, Babaganush, and his others alias from Battlestar Galactica infested the place. Not to mention that troll that was a member here Maximus was part of the mob too. 

BTW hi guys,  I know you are lurking, too bad you don't have a passport to S4GRU country. 

Now Howard forums and Reddit will be in an endless war. 

• Like 1

Sprint's Claure out-earned CEOs of Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile in 2015

$27 million

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-s-claure-out-earns-ceos-verizon-at-t-and-t-mobile

I don't think he should be getting that much, unless he did as well as Legere has done turning things around.  But, I did notice one thing. 

Claure pocketed more than $22 million in stock awards

A majority of his paycheck was in Sprint stock.  More companies should do this when paying their executives so it gives incentive to make the company perform well. 

• Like 4

Also I want to add that even articles that didn't have anything to do with Sprint, the Godfather trolls (  S. ALI,  Fabian Cortez aka Spuckle, Babaganush, and his others alias from Battlestar Galactica infested the place. Not to mention that troll that was a member here Maximus was part of the mob too. 

BTW hi guys,  I know you are lurking, too bad you don't have a passport to S4GRU country. 

Now Howard forums and Reddit will be in an endless war. 

Actually, on /r/Sprint and /r/TMobile the trolls tend to be downvoted and their posts automatically hidden after it hits a certain threshold.  However, I do expect to see HowardForums inheriting a bunch of those troll posts, even though that site is also decently moderated.

• Like 1

Actually, on /r/Sprint and /r/TMobile the trolls tend to be downvoted and their posts automatically hidden after it hits a certain threshold.  However, I do expect to see HowardForums inheriting a bunch of those troll posts, even though that site is also decently moderated.

That site is not moderated enough. There's been a troll trolling the Verizon forums for weeks now that everyone wants gone and the mods won't give the axe to yet.

The one major thing I've learned from being on forums for so many years is not only how to spot trolls, but also bad mods/staff. Take S4GRU, I've had disagreements with the staff here over issues, but never once had them comment badly against my being here or anything against my content as it is, other than of course fair discussion. For that, I'd say S4GRU is run extremely well, especially in comparison to other sites. Although, you do have to be a serious poster (no trolling) and learn to be less sensitive to open discussion, as I have because I realize its far better to have than a place where the staff warns you every time you say something honest or with good instructional intent.

I'm definitely glad to hear this news about Fierce though. Hopefully it'll become a much more successful site now.

• Like 8

You understand that customers will be confused by 3Mbps thinking its 3MB/s right? This is simplified for people like us, but complex for everyone else. Furthermore, Sprint can't turn a decent profit at $45 for 15GB of data. T-Mobile doesn't even give 3GB for a price that low.

My thinking is this, that AT&T and/or Verizon quite likely could, at least in my opinion based on the trends of adding more data at these high price packages, be preparing to have a 30gb data plan at $100 monthly and advertise it as enough data for people to use 1gb daily. A 50% off plan by Sprint or anyone else for that matter would be $50, but then again I'm not even suggesting Sprint have a 30gb plan at $45 monthly, only 15gb with a speed capped overage protection service that actually would not only be useful, but would help reasonably blur the lines between per gb data plans and unlimited data plans.

I think it is a smart plan Sprint could have to offer in enticing people from older plans onto something newer it could merge people from more recent plans onto and have this as a set standard that pretty much works just right, and finally have a better name for a single plan than having 50% off. Again, that is $45 base price for 15gb of high-speed data and 1.5mbps capped unlimited overage. Upgrade to 3mbps capped unlimited overage, and the total is $60 monthly. Loyalty plan users switching to this get a $15 monthly discount. No additional lines to this plan, as everyone gets their own data.

I believe this type of pricing will become standard too, phasing out the shared line scheme as prices rise for additional lines causing people to want more data and their own. AT&T now has 5 million people on the new wireless, additional TV service-required Unlimited Plan according to several articles published online recently about it. I think it shown people want their own data and more of it, which is why I think Unlimited data has its value, but can and should be done in a reasonable way on the network. Considering that, I think 15gb is a perfect amount of data to offer people monthly for that rate, especially when unlimited data lines offer 22gb and up before possibly slowing down, at rates around $50 past the first line of service.

That said, Sprint can certainly handle and profit from offering this at $45 monthly, especially since each line starts at that, no cheap $10-$15 line sharing, or free lines. For people wanting more high-speed data, I think there should be a 30gb option given at double the rate of the 15gb plans, so $90 monthly with the slight speed cap increase option given for free at 3mbps, so no additional high-speed data increments past that. This would prevent data abuse on the network people expecting more high-speed data at lesser warehouse prices. I think it is a bad situation going on with Verizon offering this kind of deal in their plans. High-speed data ought to have some limit set on what an individual can consume, as we all know this isn't as simple as saying "Let a person buy as much as they'd like if they are willing to pay", especially since that person will end up wanting lesser prices for the more they consume. It ends up taking away from others.

Anyways, thanks for the info regarding the speed terms. I just write mbps flat lowercase, hoping that is clear enough. Sometimes it isn't though, and I understand with such similarities in appearance it could confuse. But I definitely don't mean to, or to imply anything beyond what is basic speeds with data offerings nowadays. 

Some network metrics from OpenSignal have come out. Sprint still has the lowest latency on average according to them. I am still reluctant about crowd sourced network reports though. I feel like there are so many variables that are unaccounted for such as the sample size for each carrier, etc.

• Like 1

Some network metrics from OpenSignal have come out. Sprint still has the lowest latency on average according to them. I am still reluctant about crowd sourced network reports though. I feel like there are so many variables that are unaccounted for such as the sample size for each carrier, etc.

That 70% of staying connected to Sprints LTE I kinda question it. But it is crowd sourced so who knows. Over 2 billion samples taken. I would love to see the breakdown per carrier. I do however appluad the strides T-Mobile has made with their network since 2013.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If some of you can set aside your fear and loathing of TMO

I think this new ad really is compelling --- and maybe what sprint should do when nv4 is complete

https://twitter.com/johnlegere/status/761204938751946754

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fear and loathing...

tumblr_nesxmkxM4v1ttma2yo1_250.gif

• Like 2

Nielson also has Sprint customers as the least satisfied with the network by a mile. Sprint stock may start dropping today. Just shows that Sprint still has boat loads of work to do and should be spending MORE on the network instead of basically nothing.

• Like 6

I think this new ad really is compelling --- and maybe what sprint should do when nv4 is complete

TMO has done a great job of expanding its footprint.  Like all the carriers they exaggerate their coverage, but I have nothing but respect for their ability to execute their plans.

I really don't understand being a cheerleader for any of the carriers unless you're on their payroll.

We just happen to know a lot more about the Sprint network thanks to the hard work of Robert & staff and the contributions of many knowledgeable members.  So, since the information is Sprint centric, it makes sense that the conversation here is centered around Sprint.

• Like 7

TMO has done a great job of expanding its footprint. Like all the carriers they exaggerate their coverage, but I have nothing but respect for their ability to execute their plans.

I really don't understand being a cheerleader for any of the carriers unless you're on their payroll.

We just happen to know a lot more about the Sprint network thanks to the hard work of Robert & staff and the contributions of many knowledgeable members. So, since the information is Sprint centric, it makes sense that the conversation here is centered around Sprint.

I couldn't agree more with your comment!!!

The ad could easily be talking about sprint. My really criticism was that sprint doesn't talk about it the same way. I see the tmo ad imply yes we know we sucked in the past but we've made progress. Try us out.

Vs saying yea Sprint is 1% off from being Verizon. Which I suspect most users don't believe or understand.

Or saying we slash our prices which gets folks in the door. But idk

All in all Sprint can or should advertise better and keep up on the network

• Like 3

I couldn't agree more with your comment!!!

The ad could easily be talking about sprint. My really criticism was that sprint doesn't talk about it the same way. I see the tmo ad imply yes we know we sucked in the past but we've made progress. Try us out.

Vs saying yea Sprint is 1% off from being Verizon. Which I suspect most users don't believe or understand.

Or saying we slash our prices which gets folks in the door. But idk

All in all Sprint can or should advertise better and keep up on the network

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/761201844223750144

Looks like Paul and Marcelo are 100% in on this together. The network improvements are happening. Once Three Carrier Aggregation goes live in the coming months, we'll notice a huge jump in performance.

Just wonder markets that have most clearsites stuck on 2 carriers . I like know there plans for 3 carrier and how many markets that can do it too and make a impact. This clearsites should been converted by now .

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/761201844223750144

Looks like Paul and Marcelo are 100% in on this together. The network improvements are happening. Once Three Carrier Aggregation goes live in the coming months, we'll notice a huge jump in performance.

Three carrier aggregation is fine and all but with out densification it won't get sprint where it needs to be, even in markets where they have a mature presents. Further, without expansion, especially to newer suburbs and other new population centers, sprint's long run prospects are not good. In phoenix at least, there has been little movement on the former beyond talk. On the latter, there is no longer even talk.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Three carrier aggregation is fine and all but with out densification it won't get sprint where it needs to be in markets where they have a mature presents. Further, without expansion, especially to newer suburbs and other new population centers, sprint's long run prospects are not good. In phoenix at least, there has been little movement on the former beyond talk. On the latter, there is no longer even talk.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

To me from what I've experienced... it seems sprint is turning into the old T-Mobile of HSPA+ days a few years ago where they acted like metro speed was king in a great castle - but no kingdom.

Just wonder markets that have most clearsites stuck on 2 carriers . I like know there plans for 3 carrier and how many markets that can do it toonand make a impact. This clearsites should been converted by now .

There are many markets where Clearwire is single carrier only. Or not capable or B41 period (ie Pittsburgh) due to the use of Motorola equipment.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 2

One good thing I'll say about that ad is that T-Mobile finally got rid of that strange sudden motion image freezing and other bizarre video editing techniques they seem to do in most ads that have an annoying feel to them. Not at all present in this ad, at least not in the same gesture I'm comparing it to with the other ads. Its much more mellowed out and realistic.

Otherwise, I'm really not sure what T-Mobile can do improving its network beyond this extended-range LTE measure. They have limited spectrum issues in many areas, compounded by the damage being done by Binge-On. If T-Mobile would get rid of Binge-On, the problem would be greatly reduced, as T-Mobile was pretty good around here in the Chicago area after they increased the 10x10 AWS LTE to 15x15 AWS LTE.

However, I'm not sure if T-Mobile can do so without angering so much of its customer base now. Personally, I'd like to see T-Mobile do a pricing makeover similar to what I mentioned here about Sprint earlier, only with less data at a cheaper rate. I think it ought to be a standard, across-the-board (no loyalty discounts) of $35 monthly per line for 5gb of high-speed data, then have 3mbps capped speed for everything after at a low per gb rate of perhaps 10 cent per gb. I know that is really cheap, but its capped speed data, and better to charge something rather than having it completely unlimited.

T-Mobile is in a much worse network position than Sprint is in, which is why my plan suggestion while similar, still differs a bit. T-Mobile just can't offer unlimited video to everyone, which if there is a good thing to say about Binge-On, is that it proves how such can so negatively impact a network, particularly T-Mobile's network. Beyond that though, I'm not so sure what much else would help them at this point, other than my hopes for a merger.

• Like 1