Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I thin you missed my point. It wasn't in reference to having all carriers test in those same locations. The reason I say it isn't reliable is because there are too many factors to take into consideration with in building testing.

And every carrier would face the same variables, so there really isn't anything to worry about. A properly balanced and dense network will probably show better indoor coverage than a network that has spacing issues.

That not all buildings in a given area are the same and that just because Walmart has poor indoor coverage doesn't mean that your office will. This makes it's usefulness much more limited.

You're right. But the same can be said for outdoor areas. Just because a park in your neighborhood provides great Cell coverage doesn't mean the park on the other side of town will as well. Some parts of towns may have dense wooded hilly areas while another part will have a a flat and small shrubbery landscape. Only way to have fair testing is to remove all users from the cell you're testing and to have a direct line of sight. But that's not going to happen. There are variables for both indoor and outdoor testing. So if you want to discredit indoor testing, then also discredit outdoor testing.

A number of carriers don't even have indoor coverage guarantees for this very reason.

They don't make guarantees, which is why it would be helpful for consumers to have independent research to see who has the best indoor performance. There's a reason why At&t at one point advertised themselves as the Nation's Strongest LTE network. It matters to consumers. That's why Sprint spent millions freeing up the SMR band and why T-Mobile is trying to buy up as many 700A band licenses in major cities as possible.

What's really sad or wrong with your post is that you had to add the __ Boiler plate preface.

110% correct

No, what is sad is that old broken record negator Johnner1999 has to come along and quote an entire multi paragraph post for a needless, short response.

So, bye bye, Johnner1999 post.  It will live on only inside this quote.

AJ

• Like 1

My job requires me to receive Corporate E-mail to my personally owned Android smartphone. I am required to monitor and respond to Corporate E-mail, using my personally owned smartphone, when I am away from my computer. Furthermore, I am required to receive business calls to my personally owned Android smartphone, including being required to forward my office desk phone to my personally owned Android smartphone, when I am away from my desk.

Additionally, frequently, when I am away from my computer, I am asked to research something (using Google or another app).

Okay, review your previous post:

I work in an office with Corporate Only WiFi, that only works with Company Owned and Issued laptops.

So the whole time I am at the office, I am on the Sprint network.

So, let me get this straight.  Your employer de facto "requires" business use of your personal smartphone.  And this is while inside the corporate offices.  Yet, it bars your cellphone from the corporate Wi-Fi network?  That is an example of poor management.  Your employer sounds dysfunctional and is the problem here.

AJ

• Like 1

I assume AJ will be offering employment (and relocation incentives) shortly in order to rectify the problem?  ;)

To that, I say the most powerful word in the English language, "No."

Employees need to stand up for themselves and tell penny pinching, profit mongering asshat corporations a collective, "No."  In this case, relying on employees' personal devices inside the office but denying them access to the corporate network is unacceptable.

Or, in my case, my employer wanted me to install Google Apps Device Policy on my personal smartphones.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.enterprise.dmagent&hl=en

That would enable organizational push e-mail -- but also allow admin control of remote lock, wipe, etc.  I think you know what I said to that...

AJ

• Like 5

No one has ever been banned or reprimanded for disagreeing with staff or making their case. You do not need to worry about that. But sometimes staff and other members may vigorously counter your point.

:hmm:

[Testmode: /on]

Fried chicken is an evil concoction spawned from the dirty dregs of Scotland which should be banned on the entire face of the planet for all eternity, and anyone who dares eat it is a lousy sack of rotten camel dung.

[Testmode: /off]

:popcorn:

• Like 6

Okay, review your previous post:

So, let me get this straight. Your employer de facto "requires" business use of your personal smartphone. And this is while inside the corporate offices. Yet, it bars your cellphone from the corporate Wi-Fi network? ....

AJ

Yes...you are correct!

Additionally, I am also required to check my Corporate Email and receive business phone calls when I am outside of the office too.

As I have mentioned, all of those are reasons why I am glad that I still have an unlimited data plan.

Or, in my case, my employer wanted me to install Google Apps Device Policy on my personal smartphones.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.enterprise.dmagent&hl=en

That would enable organizational push e-mail -- but also allow admin control of remote lock, wipe, etc. I think you know what I said to that...

AJ

In the case of the place where I work, the company recently forced the installation and use of AirWatch Agent and AirWatch Inbox.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airwatch.androidagent '> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airwatch.androidagent

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airwatch.email '> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airwatch.email

While the app does not give the company the ability to wipe my phone, it does give them quite a bit of control and is very obtrusive.

I am, however, stuck with it.

My only other option is trying to to use Outlook Web Mail, which is a Complete PITA to use on a phone.

• Like 2

Yes...you are correct!

Additionally, I am also required to check my Corporate Email and receive business phone calls when I am outside of the office too.

As I have mentioned, all of those are reasons why I am glad that I still have an unlimited data plan.

In the case of the place where I work, the company recently forced the installation and use of AirWatch Agent and AirWatch Inbox.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airwatch.androidagent '> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airwatch.androidagent

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airwatch.email '> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airwatch.email

While the app does not give the company the ability to wipe my phone, it does give them quite a bit of control and is very obtrusive.

I am, however, stuck with it.

My only other option is trying to to use Outlook Web Mail, which is a Complete PITA to use on a phone.

wow kct, that is sad. You're a very nice person and I'm sure you want to keep your job, but AJ is right about how bad that is at your workplace. I don't know how a workplace could get away with doing that.

While of course they make a lot more money than I do, the VPs, Directors, and Project Managers are under the same set of rules.

Do they give you any sort of allowance towards your phone bill?  I mean, if you pay the full bill independent of them, what do they do for an individual who wants a dumb flip phone or just goes "off grid" and ditches the cell altogether?  What if you have a 1 gig data plan?

The real question is...why do we HAVE to connect to wifi to get reliable data indoors when we are paying for data, regardless of limited or unlimited data? Shouldn't data be reliable enough to use anywhere you choose to? If the data is free then yes, beggars can't be choosers but we all pay for data...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The real question is...why do we HAVE to connect to wifi to get reliable data indoors when we are paying for data, regardless of limited or unlimited data? Shouldn't data be reliable enough to use anywhere you choose to? If the data is free then yes, beggars can't be choosers but we all pay for data...

Yeah, I pay gas and property taxes.  Why do roads and sidewalks not run everywhere I want to go?

AJ

• Like 3

Because wireless data was never designed to work indoors everywhere. No carrier guarantees indoor coverage. 

• Like 4

Do they give you any sort of allowance towards your phone bill? I mean, if you pay the full bill independent of them, what do they do for an individual who wants a dumb flip phone or just goes "off grid" and ditches the cell altogether? What if you have a 1 gig data plan?

The Ex Mgt. does get a stipend that covers about about 1/4 of the typical smartphone bill.

Directors and Project Managers get a stipend that covers about 1/5 of the typical smartphone bill.

Personally I am 'grandfathered' into the stipend I have, that covers about 1/6 of my bill, and certainly does not cover my work related data and phone usage. If I was on a Tiered Data plan, of similar cost to my current ED 1500 plan, then I would most likely have to avoid using my smartphone for any personal use, to avoid paying for data overages, caused by my work related activities.

Additionally, newer, non managerial employees, hired a few year ago, and new employees hired recently, don't get any stipend at all.

There have been a few employees, in important positions, who refused to connect to their phone to Corporate Email and refused to be available by their cell phone. They were eventually let-go. Typically the termination was for reasons, other than specifically refusal to use their mobile phone for work, but in each case, it was a major contributing factor.

As I have mentioned before, my whole point to all of what I have said, is that WiFi is not always available to workers in an office, and there are situations where a person is forced to use Mobile Data to do their job.

• Like 2

There have been a few employees, in important positions, who refused to connect to their phone to Corporate Email and refused to be available by their cell phone. They were eventually let-go. Typically the termination was for reasons, other than specifically refusal to use their mobile phone for work, but in each case, it was a major contributing factor.

I take it those who dont have a phone at all or otherwise have a basic flip phone wouldnt last long huh? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I take it those who dont have a phone at all or otherwise have a basic flip phone wouldnt last long huh? :rolleyes:

Correct...if they happen to hired for positions that are deemed to require mobile phone and/or mobile email access.

Yeah, I pay gas and property taxes. Why do roads and sidewalks not run everywhere I want to go?

AJ

Time to be a big boy and speak up about it then. Give them big ol bad wolves a piece of your mind

Edited by kwazytazz
  • Like 1

:hmm:

[Testmode: /on]

Fried chicken is an evil concoction spawned from the dirty dregs of Scotland which should be banned on the entire face of the planet for all eternity, and anyone who dares eat it is a lousy sack of rotten camel dung.

[Testmode: /off]

:popcorn:

OK...now you're pushing your luck, pal. :hah:

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 7

The Ex Mgt. does get a stipend that covers about about 1/4 of the typical smartphone bill.

Directors and Project Managers get a stipend that covers about 1/5 of the typical smartphone bill.

Personally I am 'grandfathered' into the stipend I have, that covers about 1/6 of my bill, and certainly does not cover my work related data and phone usage. If I was on a Tiered Data plan, of similar cost to my current ED 1500 plan, then I would most likely have to avoid using my smartphone for any personal use, to avoid paying for data overages, caused by my work related activities.

Additionally, newer, non managerial employees, hired a few year ago, and new employees hired recently, don't get any stipend at all.

As I have mentioned before, my whole point to all of what I have said, is that WiFi is not always available to workers in an office, and there are situations where a person is forced to use Mobile Data to do their job.

I have to use my cell for work, sadly I get nothing by way of a stipend. I love to go take long weekends at east maui away from any tmo signals. Everytime the boss comments about me not responding to email while away I tel him to get me a Verizon phone or hotspot. Not likely :) same as he complains about me not being able to pickup supplies on my bike, just waiting on that company car ;)

Companies do this all the time, you have to use your cell but we won't pay for it and our wifi is basically useless. Can't wait for band 12 here.

• Like 2

Correct...if they happen to hired for positions that are deemed to require mobile phone and/or mobile email access.

What I'd like to know is how a workplace can get away with having these sort of insane policies? I'm surprised enough when I ear reports of workplaces trying to force employees to give their social media accounts to them, and even worse, passcodes into them. I think I read somewhere awhile ago there were lawsuits about it. For a company to force people to use their personal device and data for work-related stuff, that is quite bad too, I think.

What I'd like to know is how a workplace can get away with having these sort of insane policies? I'm surprised enough when I ear reports of workplaces trying to force employees to give their social media accounts to them, and even worse, passcodes into them. I think I read somewhere awhile ago there were lawsuits about it. For a company to force people to use their personal device and data for work-related stuff, that is quite bad too, I think.

Honestly it's pretty trivial compared to some of the stuff they get up to. Using your device that you already own and would have owned anyway isn't the big issue, nor is leaving you to pay the monthly. The kicker is that you are basically on call 24 365. No overtime or on call pay for us 'exempt' workers. I still work way less than when I was self employed or ran a company myself. At the end of the day if I wasn't happy I would walk. There's plenty more jobs out there and if you don't like those you can work for yourself. 

I work for a good company, they actually do treat me well in general but they do ask some stuff like the cell phones, personal vehicle use and basically being on call all the time. The flip side is when the company does well we get a real cut of the profits. Plus if they gave us company phones they would likely be selected by the bean counters so we would have flip phones on net 10 wireless.

Work has nothing on our old HOA for insane policies though :)

• Like 1

Oh noes! Not life circa 2002 BS -- Before Smartphones.

Walkman. FM radio. MP3 player. Whistling while you work.

AJ

Try working where FM radio can't penetrate the building, cell phones are prohibited and confiscated if introduced, and MP3 players are also prohibited. We do get a digital feed to NPR though... ????

• Like 2

Try working where FM radio can't penetrate the building, cell phones are prohibited and confiscated if introduced, and MP3 players are also prohibited. We do get a digital feed to NPR though... ????

Sounds like Prison! [emoji20]

Although, I briefly worked on a contract once where I was in a similar situation.

• Like 2

Try working where FM radio can't penetrate the building, cell phones are prohibited and confiscated if introduced, and MP3 players are also prohibited. We do get a digital feed to NPR though...

Sounds about right where I work in our Call Center. Phones are prohibited from use and can only be used on break. They deal with credit cards on a daily basis so this is the reason.

• Like 2

I'm surprised more companies do not have dual SSID networks, even authenticated ones. We recently upgraded our network here and went completely wireless with the APs broadcasting a secure network which only authenticated on corporate assets, and an authorized guest network which required credentials but no device restriction. 

• Like 6