Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

That's my point, all these non scientific testing apps have big downsides. I think its a bit more reliable when testing is done repeatedly under the same conditions.

You're right. Rootmetrics is, in theory, the best method for testing. Unfortunately they only test outdoors, which in no way reflects real world usage either.

You're right. Rootmetrics is, in theory, the best method for testing. Unfortunately they only test outdoors, which in no way reflects real world usage either.

False. According to their site, for the 2H 2015 report they tested 6,607 indoor locations.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

False. According to their site, for the 2H 2015 report they tested 6,607 indoor locations.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

They ran 5.7 million tests and drove 288k miles. What is the percentage of total indoor tests to outdoor tests? They claim 6.6k locations, but don't really release how many tests where done indoors in each market or how many tests where done outdoors. And out of those indoor locations, how many where actual homes, apartments, stores, etc and not stadiums/arenas?

If RootMetrics really wants to stand out, they would release separate reports for indoor performance (and I'm not talking stadiums) for every carrier. It should be fair now that all carriers have lower band spectrum in most markets. Let's face it, doing outdoor tests doesn't really show us anything as most people spend most of their times inside, especially in the summer (in the south) and winter months (mostly in the Yankee states). Why they even do outdoor tests to begin with is beyond me.

• Like 2

1) I'm confused about where you're getting your numbers. It says that they performed 3.8 Million tests in total and that they performed tests in 6,000+ indoor locations.

2) Phones work indoors and outdoors. While people use their phones while indoors, they're also more likely to be on WiFi which negates the whole "Why do they even test outdoors?" Just as many people spend their whole day outside as people who spend their whole day inside and both are statistically relevant. There's a reason coverage maps only talk about guaranteed outdoor coverage and not indoor coverage.

3) Releasing a separate map with 6,000+ different points on it makes no sense to do. It makes more sense to release data points for places like stadiums, universities, and airports because those are areas where people use large amounts of data are consumed. Not your local Way-Mart.

I'm sure the carriers who pay to get the results receive the more specific information since it is more relevant for them than it is for us.

• Like 1

1) I'm confused about where you're getting your numbers. It says that they performed 3.8 Million tests in total and that they performed tests in 6,000+ indoor locations.

I was looking at 2014. My mistake.

But it still doesn't take away from the fact that the reports don't tell us exactly how many tests where done indoors. Did they walk into a city hall, conduct one test and leave? Or did they do multiple. Also, how many residential areas were tested?

2) Phones work indoors and outdoors. While people use their phones while indoors, they're also more likely to be on WiFi which negates the whole "Why do they even test outdoors?" Just as many people spend their whole day outside as people who spend their whole day inside and both are statistically relevant. There's a reason coverage maps only talk about guaranteed outdoor coverage and not indoor coverage.

3) Releasing a separate map with 6,000+ different points on it makes no sense to do. It makes more sense to release data points for places like stadiums, universities, and airports because those are areas where people use large amounts of data are consumed. Not your local Way-Mart.

If your phone works indoors, chances are that it will definitely work outdoors. You want to really test a network, then test it indoors in. That includes subways, general stores, shopping areas, and even residential areas if possible. While I will agree that wifi is available in many places, it is still not widespread. Even if it is available, its not the most reliable either.

I'm not asking for a map with detailed testing areas. But it would be a lot more helpful for consumers if they separated their indoor tests from their outdoor tests and presented both separately. There's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 2

Not everyone works outdoors. Office workers don't always have access to wifi during their 8-9 hours at work.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Exactly!

I work in an office with Corporate Only WiFi, that only works with Company Owned and Issued laptops.

So the whole time I am at the office, I am on the Sprint network.

• Like 2

That really sucks but as I said, what you'll find is that most people who work indoors do have some sort of WiFi access. That said, all it takes is a few minutes to look at information from the Census Bureau to see that the most common job in 31 out of 50 states falls under the category of truck driving or farming, both being outdoor professions.

I'm not saying having data on indoor service isn't beneficial or that it isn't important. I'm saying that the argument that showing outdoor network metrics is somehow not necessary or that it doesn't reflect real usage, is completely false. Information on indoor locations varies too much from building to building for it to be reliable. For example, outside of my local Ikea, I have a great signal but indoors I have 1 bar or no signal, but Ikea does provide free WiFi while indoors anyway.

Exactly!

I work in an office with Corporate Only WiFi, that only works with Company Owned and Issued laptops.

So the whole time I am at the office, I am on the Sprint network.

Or, heaven forfend, you actually could earn your employer's pay by doing work -- instead of text messaging and generally fiddling with your smartphone every few minutes.  And if you need to make/take an occasional personal call, there is this invention called a landline office phone.

As for locked down corporate Wi-Fi, maybe there is a reason for that.  Employers want workers working, not messing around.  I suspect many employers rue the day that smartphones became a common employee belonging and would prefer that wireless service not penetrate their office buildings.

AJ

• Like 4

Or, heaven forfend, you actually could earn your employer's pay by doing work -- instead of text messaging and generally fiddling with your smartphone every few minutes. And if you need to make/take an occasional personal call, there is this invention called a landline office phone.

As for locked down corporate Wi-Fi, maybe there is a reason for that. Employers want workers working, not messing around. I suspect many employers rue the day that smartphones became a common employee belonging and would prefer that wireless service not penetrate their office buildings.

AJ

Music can be conducive to work.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Music can be conducive to work.

Oh noes!  Not life circa 2002 BS -- Before Smartphones.

Walkman.  FM radio.  MP3 player.  Whistling while you work.

AJ

That really sucks but as I said, what you'll find is that most people who work indoors do have some sort of WiFi access. That said, all it takes is a few minutes to look at information from the Census Bureau to see that the most common job in 31 out of 50 states falls under the category of truck driving or farming, both being outdoor professions.

Not many farmers in downtown Los Angeles or Boston is there? I also don't think Sprint has any plans to expand their network into rural areas any time soon. The Sprint network doesn't really cater to them.

I'm not saying having data on indoor service isn't beneficial or that it isn't important. I'm saying that the argument that showing outdoor network metrics is somehow not necessary or that it doesn't reflect real usage, is completely false.

Point taken. But it's also important to differentiate indoor performance from outdoor performance when handing out awards.

Information on indoor locations varies too much from building to building for it to be reliable. For example, outside of my local Ikea, I have a great signal but indoors I have 1 bar or no signal, but Ikea does provide free WiFi while indoors anyway.

Your argument would make sense if the indoor testing locations were different for Verizon than they were for At&t or Sprint.

If all providers are tested inside the same buildings at the same time, then the information is reliable. And it is my understanding that RootMetrics did just that.

• Like 1

If all providers are tested inside the same buildings at the same time, then the information is reliable. And it is my understanding that RootMetrics did just that.

I thin you missed my point. It wasn't in reference to having all carriers test in those same locations. The reason I say it isn't reliable is because there are too many factors to take into consideration with in building testing. That not all buildings in a given area are the same and that just because Walmart has poor indoor coverage doesn't mean that your office will.

This makes it's usefulness much more limited. A number of carriers don't even have indoor coverage guarantees for this very reason.

• Like 1

Oh noes!  Not life circa 2002 BS -- Before Smartphones.

Walkman.  FM radio.  MP3 player.  Whistling while you work.

AJ

Whistle while you work??? I don't know, I've seen what happens:

Marcelo is going on an absolute tear against Verizon's Communications and PR folks for lying.

Start at this Tweet here: https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/762507126572847109

and work your way up to Marcelo's most recent Tweets and Replies in his timeline.

One of my favorites: Marcelo dares Verizon's Executive Director of PR to have Verizon publish net port data:  https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/762844542957608961

Sounds like Sprint is doing pretty well....

• Like 5

Marcelo is going on an absolute tear against Verizon's Communications and PR folks for lying.

Start at this Tweet here: https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/762507126572847109

and work your way up to Marcelo's most recent Tweets and Replies in his timeline.

One of my favorites: Marcelo dares Verizon's Executive Director of PR to have Verizon publish net port data: https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/762844542957608961

Sounds like Sprint is doing pretty well....

I'm sure they are doing well but let's hope that these people are staying. It's a gamble going from Verizon or AT&T down to Sprint or T-Mobile because those users are accustomed to a caliber of service.

I had a friend port out from Verizon to Sprint and he had no issues with service sadly he ported back because he likes to have data while on the phone. Isolated case in some sense but when that's all you're use to its kinda hard to let it go.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm sure they are doing well but let's hope that these people are staying. It's a gamble going from Verizon or AT&T down to Sprint or T-Mobile because those users are accustomed to a caliber of service.

I had a friend port out from Verizon to Sprint and he had no issues with service sadly he ported back because he likes to have data while on the phone. Isolated case in some sense but when that's all you're use to its kinda hard to let it go.

If Sprint's quarterly churn is low, it means that overall, people are staying instead of leaving.

According to Sprint's Press Release for its recent Earnings Call:

Postpaid phone net additions of 173,000 are the fourth consecutive quarter of positive net additions

• Postpaid phone churn of 1.39 percent is the best in company history and improved year-over-year for the sixth consecutive quarter
  • Postpaid net port positive against all three national carriers for the first time in over five years

Source: http://investors.sprint.com/

Also see Page 3 of the recent Quarterly Investor Update for more info on Sprint's Churn numbers.

• Like 2

Or, heaven forfend, you actually could earn your employer's pay by doing work -- instead of text messaging and generally fiddling with your smartphone every few minutes. And if you need to make/take an occasional personal call, there is this invention called a landline office phone.

As for locked down corporate Wi-Fi, maybe there is a reason for that. Employers want workers working, not messing around. I suspect many employers rue the day that smartphones became a common employee belonging and would prefer that wireless service not penetrate their office buildings.

AJ

At the risk of being reprimanded or banned for arguing with your statements, I would like to take the time to defend myself, and my situation.

With all due respect, AJ, you do not know everyone's situation and conditions of employment.

My job requires me to receive Corporate E-mail to my personally owned Android smartphone. I am required to monitor and respond to Corporate E-mail, using my personally owned smartphone, when I am away from my computer. Furthermore, I am required to receive business calls to my personally owned Android smartphone, including being required to forward my office desk phone to my personally owned Android smartphone, when I am away from my desk.

Additionally, frequently, when I am away from my computer, I am asked to research something (using Google or another app).

Rarely do I stream any music or video during work hours. I will admit, that as short 'mental breaks' I do occasionally check my personal email and forums, such as this one.

I am not complaining, I am simply trying to to point out that there are individuals, like me, who are required by the companies they work for, to use their personally owned smartphones, for work functions.

I also wanted to point out that not everyone has access to WiFi, while indoors.

It is my sincere hope that my comments will not cause me to be reprimanded, however, I felt that I needed to explain my situation, and that of others like me.

• Like 13

If Sprint's quarterly churn is low, it means that overall, people are staying instead of leaving.

According to Sprint's Press Release for its recent Earnings Call:

Source: http://investors.sprint.com/

Also see Page 3 of the recent Quarterly Investor Update for more info on Sprint's Churn numbers.

This stuff I know. The telling will be in the next report. It'll kinda paint the picture of what's to look forward too. I'm hoping they add more next quarter.

This stuff I know. The telling will be in the next report. It'll kinda paint the picture of what's to look forward too. I'm hoping they add more next quarter.

With the launch of the iPhone 7 combined with iPhone Forever, it's Sprint's opportunity to shine.

So you'll definitely have a bunch of upgraders from the 6s (iPhone Forever) and the 6 (those on 24 month leases or 24 month installments or 2 year contracts). Also, assuming that the iPhone 7 supports Three Carrier Aggregation (which I really hope it does), you'll have a substantial influx of those newly capable devices onto Sprint's network for that feature to go live by Early 2017 as Marcelo discussed in the recent earnings call.

In addition to upgrading its network, Sprint has to get as many folks onto Triband or CA-capable devices as possible so that they actually experience the improvements.

I sure wish Apple put Two Carrier Aggregation in the iPhone SE. That would have really helped Sprint on things, but I guess that's Apple being Apple. Hey, at least it's triband. Apple wasn't so kind to Sprint with the iPhone 5s as we recall.

When you look at these figures from Page 5 of the Quarterly Investor Update, it's interesting to see what percentage of people have devices that aren't triband or that don't support Carrier Aggregation. If you were to cross-reference customer satisfaction rates (or specific churn rates) with those customers, those would be some interesting findings. I'm sure (or at least I hope) Sprint has done that:

• Tri-band LTE phones represented 73 percent of the 25.3 million ending postpaid phone connection base compared to 46 percent at the end of the year-ago quarter and 69 percent at the end of the prior quarter. During the quarter, 91 percent of postpaid phones sold were tri-band.
  • Smartphones represented 93 percent of the ending postpaid phone connection base compared to 89 percent at the end of the year-ago quarter and 92 percent at the end of the prior quarter. During the quarter, 97 percent of postpaid phones sold were smartphones.
  • Carrier aggregation capable phones, which allow for higher data speeds, were 74 percent of postpaid phones sold during the quarter, increasing the number of these phones within the phone base to 35 percent.

The good thing about programs like iPhone Forever is that it keeps people upgrading to the latest tech for Sprint's network... assuming Apple builds it in of course.

• Like 2

My hope is that one day Sprint will replicate their success with the Galaxy S3. If I recall correctly, they actually sold more S3's than any other carrier in the U.S. If Sprint could do the same with an iPhone release or a Galaxy release, they'd be set.

• Like 2

At the risk of being reprimanded or banned for arguing with your statements, I would like to take the time to defend myself, and my situation.

No one has ever been banned or reprimanded for disagreeing with staff or making their case. You do not need to worry about that. But sometimes staff and other members may vigorously counter your point.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 9

Oh noes! Not life circa 2002 BS -- Before Smartphones.

Walkman. FM radio. MP3 player. Whistling while you work.

AJ

Whistling is difficult. Why would employer want all there employees time eaten up by learning how.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Will the 50% discount offer for Sprint still be available for the new iPhone release this fall?

Sprint has extended the program in the past based on how well it's done. I can't imagine Sprint pulling the plug on it just before the iPhone 7 launches in September.

Word is the announcement/pre-order date is September 9th and shipping date is September 16th.

• Like 1